Your favorite bad game: be it story, gameplay, art design, graphics, etc.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I never really got into PD. Although the remaster just came out so I might grab it and see if I enjoy it more now, cause I always liked Starfox 64 much more.
I will say that even with the remake of the first game, Star Fox 64 did have an advantage over the original PD. And that was the frame rate. The original PD game runs at 15 frames per second. I am not making a joke. The first PD game came out in 95, while SF64 came out 97. What I liked about the PD series though is that you're not just shooting what's in front of you, you could also shoot what's on the side of you in behind you. Even in the first game. I plan on getting the remake a bit later since it's also on PlayStation 4 with all the updates. After this they'll remake the best game in the series, at least for me, is Zwei. I know a majority of the fans though would want Saga to be remade.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I will say that even with the remake of the first game, Star Fox 64 did have an advantage over the original PD. And that was the frame rate. The original PD game runs at 15 frames per second. I am not making a joke. The first PD game came out in 95, while SF64 came out 97. What I liked about the PD series though is that you're not just shooting what's in front of you, you could also shoot what's on the side of you in behind you. Even in the first game. I plan on getting the remake a bit later since it's also on PlayStation 4 with all the updates. After this they'll remake the best game in the series, at least for me, is Zwei. I know a majority of the fans though would want Saga to be remade.
Thats actually what I preferred about Starfox, enemies just coming from in front of you and not having to worry about all sides. I do really want to see a remake of Saga, I played Zwei and that one didn't do it for me either but saga sounds really interesting. My friend actually has a copy of it. She collects games and such.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Thats actually what I preferred about Starfox, enemies just coming from in front of you and not having to worry about all sides. I do really want to see a remake of Saga, I played Zwei and that one didn't do it for me either but saga sounds really interesting. My friend actually has a copy of it. She collects games and such.
To each is his or her own. I'm not saying Star Fox 64 is game design is bad, but I like Panzer because it does something different and it does it well. that is why I got so well known in the first place. Also, it's soundtrack and lore and your dragon constantly evolving. It's all a matter of just memorizing enemy spawns and patterns. Not that different. Both design choices have their strengths and weaknesses.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
To each is his or her own. I'm not saying Star Fox 64 is game design is bad, but I like Panzer because it does something different and it does it well. that is why I got so well known in the first place. Also, it's soundtrack and lore and your dragon constantly evolving. It's all a matter of just memorizing enemy spawns and patterns. Not that different. Both design choices have their strengths and weaknesses.
I did really like the dragon evolving thing, at least in concept. I don't actually remember how it was implemented, I think by high score?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I did really like the dragon evolving thing, at least in concept. I don't actually remember how it was implemented, I think by high score?
In the first game anyway, your dragon evolving was scripted. But getting high scores a near perfect or perfect ratios when did you to get more credits. Zwei had a similar system, except that your dragon evolved based on scoring and what paths you took. Saga has the RPG elements and Orta is similar to Zwei from what I remember.

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
In the first game anyway, you're dragging evolving was scripted. But getting high scores a near perfect or perfect ratios when did you to get more credits. Zwei had a similar system, except that you're dragging of all the based on scoring and what paths you took. Saga has the RPG elements and Orta is similar to Zwei from what I remember.
It sounds like the other games will be remasted also.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I like the Turok games, just gonna say it. They're fun! Hunting dinosaurs as a time traveling native American warrior.
Which ones? Cause the first game is legit great, the second is good, but suffers from kinda bullshit maze levels. After that the quality tends to just go down to the bad game level.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Which ones? Cause the first game is legit great, the second is good, but suffers from kinda bullshit maze levels. After that the quality tends to just go down to the bad game level.
The first two, Turok 64 and Seeds of Evil. The others I don't really consider Turok games.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The first two, Turok 64 and Seeds of Evil. The others I don't really consider Turok games.
Ahh, then those don't really work for this list.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The first two, Turok 64 and Seeds of Evil.
Turok 1 & 2 are good games. The only games I consider bad are Turok Evoultuion and the reboot. The latter which is just more average and generic than anything really. You could have used either of those two examples.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Turok 1 & 2 are good games. The only games I consider bad are Turok Evoultuion and the reboot. The latter which is just more average and generic than anything really. You could have used either of those two examples.
Turok 3's cool too but people forget about it because it's an N64 exclusive that came out towards the end of the N64's life, I wonder if it'll get a Nightdive remaster too?
I hope it does, I don't like playing shooters on N64 anymore.

Though I'll admit I'm more exited for a Shadowman Remaster, that game was rad.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Turok 3's cool too but people forget about it because it's an N64 exclusive that came out towards the end of the N64's life, I wonder if it'll get a Nightdive remaster too?

Was not trying ignore Turok 3, but was just making a point. I rented the game back in the day. I do admit that by 2001, my brother and I were done buying N64 games by that point.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009

I recall it not being as good as the other n64 Turok games, something about it just felt off and really didn't do it for me. But, fans are clambering for Nightdive to do a remaster of it also.

I am looking forward to that, I remember Shadowman being cool but jank as hell.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I recall it not being as good as the other n64 Turok games, something about it just felt off and really didn't do it for me. But, fans are clambering for Nightdive to do a remaster of it also.

I am looking forward to that, I remember Shadowman being cool but jank as hell.
Yeah, Turok 3 had some problems but it's overall very cool.

And while Shadowman is kinda janky, a simple control rework for a more modernised control scheme would actually be most of what needs to be done besides resolution and UI stuff, as the game isn't as janky as you may think, but then again I'm biased as I really like that game, I'd say it's Metroid Prime before Metroid Prime, I wouldn't be surprised if it was an influence considering Iguana and Acclaim worked very closely and Ex-Iguana people founded Retro Studios, I mean they even did the Dark World thing in a very similar way to how Shadowman & Soul Reaver had done it for Prime 2.

But seriously if the game wasn't old as shit with compatibility issues and a kinda awkward keyboard controls I'd say go play it now, unless you have the Dreamcast version that's kinda fine though still a bit awkward since it only has one control stick, so yeah, like a Nightdive remaster with a few quality of life improvements would be so hype, which is good because I'm just finding out it's actually happening, at least according to Valiant Entertainment, I was aware they had the rights because I did purchase the Gog.com version in 2014, but they're legit doing a KEX engine one, so cool, if they do Re-Volt I'll basically be forced to worship them as my new gods.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Yeah, Turok 3 had some problems but it's overall very cool.

And while Shadowman is kinda janky, a simple control rework for a more modernised control scheme would actually be most of what needs to be done besides resolution and UI stuff, as the game isn't as janky as you may think, but then again I'm biased as I really like that game, I'd say it's Metroid Prime before Metroid Prime, I wouldn't be surprised if it was an influence considering Iguana and Acclaim worked very closely and Ex-Iguana people founded Retro Studios, I mean they even did the Dark World thing in a very similar way to how Shadowman & Soul Reaver had done it for Prime 2.

But seriously if the game wasn't old as shit with compatibility issues and a kinda awkward keyboard controls I'd say go play it now, unless you have the Dreamcast version that's kinda fine though still a bit awkward since it only has one control stick, so yeah, like a Nightdive remaster with a few quality of life improvements would be so hype, which is good because I'm just finding out it's actually happening, at least according to Valiant Entertainment, I was aware they had the rights because I did purchase the Gog.com version in 2014, but they're legit doing a KEX engine one, so cool, if they do Re-Volt I'll basically be forced to worship them as my new gods.
I'm still holding out hope for a Body Harvest remaster with a proper final level, but apparently it was a total flop.

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
Has to be Robot Alchemic Drive for PS2. Plus side is, you get to control a giant freakin' robot fighting other giant freakin' robots. It's hard to explain how good the game feels when everything lines up, when the sense of scale hits just right, when the clunky controls start to feel strangely natural, when you actually manage to hit what you were aiming at despite the terrible camera system, when the characters shut the hell up for three goddamn minutes...

Unfortunately, most of RAD's unique aspects also hinder it. Leaving it all but forgotten compared to Sandlot's other title, Earth Defense Force.
Admittedly, it is a lot more fun to shout "EDF!" than cry "Robots killed grandma!"

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

I recall Turok (N64) being pretty unsettling. The piss-poor draw meant dinosaurs literally appeared from the "mist" like 10 feet in front of you; made every other encounter an "oh shit" moment.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
The Snippening.
I could still play Starfox 64 all day and not be bored, it has a special place in my heart and I still dig out the crusty old trident controllers for it. I do have the remaster on the ds but I can't mash the buttons so good on the handheld.

Zero still hurts me.

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
it has a special place in my heard
I know this is just a typo, but I can't stop picturing it as herd, and seeing this herd of old video game cartridges, roaming the steppes while a sheep dog patrols around. And Starfox 64 is like, the primo cartridge, with the most glorious plumage/coat/etc.