Your favorite bad game: be it story, gameplay, art design, graphics, etc.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
Well, presumably if all games are bad, your favorite game is also your favorite bad game.
My favorite game.
It's rather short, is a reboot, has bad multiplayer, and the creator doesn't care about it in the slightest.

Reactions: SupahEwok

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Yeah, the rest of the series are depressing geopolitical drama, so Evolved being what it is just doesn't really gel with what series fans expect from the game. But on it's own gameplay merits I think it's rather good, the characters grated on me immensely though.

If you ever do want to give the older games a shot, Front Mission 3 is rather good and it's digitally available on the PS3 or Vita if you have one of those laying around. Squeenix has outright stated they're done with the IP, so if you're the swashbuckling sort you're not hurting anybody.
Even if you ignore the rest of the franchise and the game actual story, evolved is a piss poor game. It has nothing over armored core has far as gameplay and mech customization, the game is incredibly easy no matter how you play it and it's really short.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not a bad game, but bad box art example:

What the hell was Sega of America thinking with that one? šŸ˜‚

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011

Axel and Skate don't look too bad, but Max is definitely more hairy than that, and somehow I don't think that's Blaze at all.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Axel and Skate don't look too bad, but Max is definitely more hairy than that, and somehow I don't think that's Blaze at all.
I know how things were different back then, when it came to advertizing, but Blaze is once again not wearing red, just like the SOR1 US cover. You all know what the characters look like, so I don't know why they gave her a blue denim version of her outfit, or give Max a bald head? Did they feel like bald people weren't represented enough or that they would get offended anyone that's bald in the game is a villain. The Japanese cover is much better by comparison.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I know how things were different back then, when it came to advertizing, but Blaze is once again not wearing red, just like the SOR1 US cover. You all know what the characters look like, so I don't know why they gave her a blue denim version of her outfit, or give Max a bald head? Did they feel like bald people weren't represented enough or that they would get offended anyone that's bald in the game is a villain. The Japanese cover is much better by comparison.

Damn. I knew the city had gone to hell in the game's lore, but I didn't think that was literal. 0_0

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

I'm not an art major by any means but I can think of a couple things that just look off about that. The random dude whose face is hidden by a "Don't Walk" signal is just the tip of the iceberg.

It's wierd because the color variety is really good and helps everything stand out considering the setting but everything else looks like it needed a revision or two. Like adjust the perspective down and to the right just a tad or remove the damn signpost.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland

That's more washed out but looks a little better. Having most of the color differentiation on the right side still bothers me a little.

Keep in mind I've played the first game way back in the day and have no idea who anyone is, so this is me in amateur art critic mode.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Keep in mind I've played the first game way back in the day and have no idea who anyone is, so this is me in amateur art critic mode.

The US/UK cover has Axel & Blaze, but with Adam missing. Axel is mostly accurate except he does not wear yellow (Adam does) and Blaze is in all white, but keeps her red wristbands and headband. While the Japanese cover...

That should've been the Western cover, but I am so used to the actual Western cover that it does not even bother me.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Well I have just played and beaten Warhammer 40k: Fire Warrior. And let me say GOG certainly patched this game up to make it playable.

Its not a BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD game.

Its just a bare-bones game.

It was fun shooting a Bolt Gun and Plasma Gun

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Bioshock Infinite.

It's story is a mess, the vigors have no real justification, the scavenging health out of trash cans makes like no sense at all for much of the game but damn if I didn't enjoy the sights and sounds of Columbia as a location and watching it go from Pristine to completely collapsing in on itself near the end.

I also appreciated it tried to do something interesting with it's plot even if it ended up completely failing at it much of the time.
What got me was they played follow the leader and got rid of the weapon wheel in favor of COD two weapon limit for no reason. If they tried to justify it with "realism", I am going to give Kevin and his team the biggest middle finger possible.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
What got me was they played follow the leader and got rid of the weapon wheel in favor of COD two weapon limit for no reason. If they tried to justify it with "realism", I am going to give Kevin and his team the biggest middle finger possible.
Yeah, that part annoyed me. Unless you have a game where you really need to pare it down to 2 or so weapons, sure, but most games don't bother to justify it.

Fuck, even the last of us, which tries to be grounded aside from the zombie fungus, allows Joel to carry like 17 fucking weapons in his backpack.....though then has knives and metal pipes that break at the first opportunity(unless it's ellies pocket knife, of course).

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
set off a ton of nuclear offended people.
...and those sorts of people need to fuck off and realize that not everything is created specifically to meet their sensibilities. Regardless of which launch codes set off any given set of them.

some of these people went way overboard.
They always do. My favorite example of this being the original Divinity: Original Sin cover art which set off the perpetually offended because it included a woman with an exposed midriff. The artist behind the cover who was also tasked with changing it said on his blog that the company was receiving threats over it.

Personally, I'm going to pick the wonderful, buggy, janky mess that is Gothic. May the remake do it justice.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
and those sorts of people need to fuck off and realize that not everything is created specifically to meet their sensibilities. Regardless of which launch codes set off any given set of them.
You would think so, but they've been cultured to believe or raise to think that everything has to be catered to them on every whim or fashion. A lot of gaming journalists want to see things in black and white. The only time they ever want to see gray is when it's convenient for them or somebody they give a rat's ass about. But it's not just journalists; gamers are guilty of this mentality as well. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for positive representation of women are people of color. The main problem is the journalists and those in the industry have self-hatred, not too different from certain groups of gamers and they overcompensate. They're trying to constantly get the non-gamers approval, IE, mainly the film industry. No matter how hard no matter how hard these people try, they're not going to get everyone into their fancy group or convert them to gamers. Some people don't like gaming, it's a fact of life. No amount of heart stringing "art" or movie like qualities is going to change that. So would you all please stop trying to please Daddy Ebert and Siskel. Their time has long passed.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
My favorite game.
It's rather short, is a reboot, has bad multiplayer, and the creator doesn't care about it in the slightest.
Nope nope nopenopenopenope. In no way is that a bad game.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Nope nope nopenopenopenope. In no way is that a bad game.
I forgot to respond to that post. I agree with you. Sure Star Fox 64 has aged in certain aspects, but it's still a fun game. Now I am more of a Panzer Dragoon and Sin & Punishment. I do feel they are the better real shooter series overall.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I forgot to respond to that post. I agree with you. Sure Star Fox 64 has aged in certain aspects, but it's still a fun game. Now I am more of a Panzer Dragoon and Sin & Punishment. I do feel they are the better real shooter series overall.
I wouldn't really even say its aged much, aside from what is to be expected from it being an n64 game. They did a 3ds remaster that added better textures and more stable fps and it was still a phenomenal game.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I wouldn't really even say its aged much, aside from what is to be expected from it being an n64 game. They did a 3ds remaster that added better textures and more stable fps and it was still a phenomenal game.
Hence why I only mentioned 64 version. But even with the updates on the 3DS version, I feel PD was the better rail shooter series. In terms of more options and what you can do.

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Hence why I only mentioned 64 version. But even with the updates on the 3DS version, I feel PD was the better real shooter series. In terms of more options and what you can do.
I never really got into PD. Although the remaster just came out so I might grab it and see if I enjoy it more now, cause I always liked Starfox 64 much more.