General Gaming News.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Exactly. You just sort of answered your own question. It still doesn't change the fact that the medium was young at the time, and that little content warning was nothing more than the parental advisory label. An egotistical boost for kids and teens saying "hey, I just witnessed, listened to or played this product that's meant for adults and grown ups! I am mature enough to handle it!". The reason nobody else complain, because not everybody had internet to complain about it back then. Plus, by the time they would have been able to, they would have long forgotten about it and moved on to something else.
Well, I doubt anybody legitimately complained about it back then. But this is a very different day an age, where the idea of a product, even a horror related product, showing some acceptance of people's different sensibilities, one that is totally optional, is seen as some slight or insult to them.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
one that is totally optional, is seen as some slight or insult to them.
Like I mentioned before, I'm mostly indifferent, but at the same time you got to have respect for your audience. It's like I brought up with that book example (called Skin Of The Sea). Don't think little of your target audience, nor assume they can't handle it. Most people's reactions are going to be fine or appropriate. Only those completely socially oblivious or unaware have no right to complain. If one or two have such a big complaint, tough look for them. It's called doing your research.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Like I mentioned before, I'm mostly indifferent, but at the same time you got to have respect for your audience. It's like I brought up with that book example (called Skin Of The Sea). Don't think little of your target audience, nor assume they can't handle it. Most people's reactions are going to be fine or appropriate. Only those completely socially oblivious or unaware have no right to complain. If one or two have such a big complaint, tough look for them. It's called doing your research.
If it is optional, and from what I've heard turned off by default, how is that not having respect for your audience? Most people will also likely be able to handle a difficulty option above the easiest one, that doesn't mean having that option there for a small portion of people is not respecting the audience.

I'm not familiar with Dead Space, but I reckon not all of its adult content is of the exact same type. And different types of "offensive" scenes can hit different people differently; some people can be totally fine with violence, but not sexual violence, some people can be okay with murdering loads of goons, but not with depictions of suicide. And if people want to experience a violent game, but rather have an option in place that gives a warning in case one of these things pops up, than that's just simple consideration. One that those who have no need for this option aren't hampered by whatsoever.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
it is optional, and from what I've heard turned off by default, how is that not having respect for your audience?
I was more so referring to the non-optional or permanently baked in warnings.

I'm not familiar with Dead Space, but I reckon not all of its adult content is of the exact same type. And different types of "offensive" scenes can hit different people differently; some people can be totally fine with violence, but not sexual violence, some people can be okay with murdering loads of goons, but not with depictions of suicide. And if people want to experience a violent game, but rather have an option in place that gives a warning in case one of these things pops up, than that's just simple consideration. One that those who have no need for this option aren't hampered by whatsoever.
As far as I know, neither Dead Space games have sexual violence in them, nor any implication. RE2 Remake has implied sexual abuse and rape from Chief Brian Irons. Something that is further implied in the original. The Remake more or less outright states it with documents and memos. That game didn't need a trigger warning for it. No one complained nor stirred any "outrage". Rape is a serious subject that is hard to talk/depict, but must always be done with the upmost carefulness.

I'm done here on the trigger warning thing. I'm going back to finding news.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Review embargo lifts 4 days in advanced. Good sign, and shows the developers have confidence in the game they made.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
A Final Fantasy crossover! With...

Power Wash Simulator?

:oops:

And here I thought I'd seen everything. And apparently they also have a free DLC pack for Tomb Raider, where you clean Croft Manor.

I posted this elsewhere, but it looks like I gotta buy this game or something now.
I've got two hundred hours in the game. It's a super-zen experience with some funny background storytelling.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Im not triggered but you seem to be. Are you triggered by the offense of someone being annoyed by trigger warnings? Should i have included a trigger warning in my rant about trigger warnings?

Also let's think about the actual situation that has to happen here.

You go to the store and see Dead Space on the shelf, the tags on the box specifically say gore, blood, intense situations, with pictures of monsters and a "mature" rating to the game. You KNOW that you are triggered by this stuff but you by the game anyway. You get home, install the game, launch it, see ANOTHER content warning. At this point does anyone shut the game off and rush it back to the store going "nope. Im out."?

That entire concept is extremely wild to me. Games already warn you of their content on the box before you buy it, this warning also exists on the digital stores. I dont really understand why someone's gotta be warned numerous times.
They don't "gotta be". It's optional and opt in. Like, "gore, blood, intense situations" applies to Machine Girl, Saw, Psycho Gorman, The Human Centipede, Night of the Living Dead, The Thing, and Evil Dead

These are all *wildly* different movies and it's wild that you're insulted by the optional and off by default more specific tags. Like, are you offended that doesthedogdie.com exists? If your tags are broad enough that they cover both Resident Evil and Saya no Uta, maybe they aren't remotely specific enough

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Uh-oh.

Fuck off, Epic. Rumbleverse is better than Fornite.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Fuck off, Epic. Rumbleverse is better than Fornite.
"And break the hearts of millions of kids around the world? we don't think so!"
-Epic, probably

In all seriousness, we all know Fortnite is too successful to be shut down. In the unlikely case of it does shut down, I'm sure many players can find something else to play.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Usually you know things like the genre of a game before you get it, and when a game is of the horror genre, and you know you are sensitive, it is incumbent on you to research the game ahead of time to ascertain if you feel comfortable playing it.
I dunno, I'm not a huge fan of the idea that you should have to spoil the entirety of a game ahead of time. Fortunately, the Dead Space remake introduced this optional thing that lets you avoid or prepare yourself for very specific things ahead of time if you want to, while not spoiling the specifics of the rest of the game

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I dunno, I'm not a huge fan of the idea that you should have to spoil the entirety of a game ahead of time. Fortunately, the Dead Space remake introduced this optional thing that lets you avoid or prepare yourself for very specific things ahead of time if you want to, while not spoiling the specifics of the rest of the game
Nobody said that though. That's a strawman argument. You'd just have to research on the level of horror to be found in the game and ask people for comparisons with other stuff you've played and whether it's around that level. You actually would go into fewer specifics than a popup that is being specific as to the particular kind of triggering content that is upcoming, with a degree of specificity that singles out things as particular as "medical malpractice". That's a real spoiler if there ever was one.

Review embargo lifts 4 days in advanced. Good sign, and shows the developers have confidence in the game they made.
Not the biggest fan of the IP but the game does look good. I prolly won't get it for a while but it's good they're confident at least.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Nobody said that though. That's a strawman argument. You'd just have to research on the level of horror to be found in the game and ask people for comparisons with other stuff you've played and whether it's around that level. You actually would go into fewer specifics than a popup that is being specific as to the particular kind of triggering content that is upcoming, with a degree of specificity that singles out things as particular as "medical malpractice". That's a real spoiler if there ever was one.
...but what if you're fine with the vast majority of horror but can't handle medical malpractice? Like, horror's basically my favorite genre of anything, but any realistic depiction of vomiting turns me right off. Doesn't even have to be horror. Letting me turn a realistic depiction of vomiting into a less realistic depiction of vomiting is a bonus in my eyes. No reason other triggers for other people wouldn't work the same way. But it's unlikely that "the box" is gonna mention that one scene where a dude semi-realistically hurls that one time, and it's probably not gonna make the reviews either.

And in any case, it's optional and opt-in. It's difficulty mode discourse with even less legitimacy somehow.

Reactions: Bedinsis