General Gaming News.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah no, hard disagree. Compared to the og NA cover maybe, you got the shitty cover, as you often did. Us PAL/JP folks got the good one.
I was referring to the lack of QTEs. Besides, the cover in the twitter feed is just for next issue of Game Informer. I don't think that's the final box art cover.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Too bad they just seem to be going with some of the most blatantly marketed/corporate sellout sounding games -

The inaugural class of nominees honor the composers behind "Aliens: Fireteam Elite," "Assassin's Creed Valhalla: Dawn Of Ragnarok," "Call Of Duty: Vanguard," "Marvel's Guardians Of The Galaxy" and "Old World."

No GodRag, Elden Ring, Plague Tale, Xenoblade, etc.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

Ooh, I'm liking the sounds of that. I wonder just how far are they willing to go?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Reactions: FakeSympathy

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I'd love to try Boneraiser but holy shit that art style bugs the crap out of me.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Another Live Service game will be shutting down its servers

Its weird that so many live service games have all at once announced that support will be ending, and the servers will be switched off/the game will be removed from the store, imminently.

These sorts of games are becoming increasingly ephemeral, and it is a worrying trend.

A game could be out for even just a year, or less, and then suddenly disappear forever at a moments notice.

Giving the community the tools to host their own servers from now on is absolutely the way to go, though.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Its weird that so many live service games have all at once announced that support will be ending, and the servers will be switched off/the game will be removed from the store, imminently.

These sorts of games are becoming increasingly ephemeral, and it is a worrying trend.

A game could be out for even just a year, or less, and then suddenly disappear forever at a moments notice.

Giving the community the tools to host their own servers from now on is absolutely the way to go, though.
And more are likely to follow. That's the thing with all these trend-chaser games: they all want a piece of the [insert trend here] pie, but there's only so much pie to be had, and by the time the trend-chasers arrive, most of it tends to already be gone, grabbed by a handful or sometimes just a single game that got there early, and they're not going to share.

Just look at the most played games on Steam. Quite a lot of of GaaS in there. Few released in the last couple years.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

And more are likely to follow. That's the thing with all these trend-chaser games: they all want a piece of the [insert trend here] pie, but there's only so much pie to be had, and by the time the trend-chasers arrive, most of it tends to already be gone, grabbed by a handful or sometimes just a single game that got there early, and they're not going to share.

Just look at the most played games on Steam. Quite a lot of of GaaS in there. Few released in the last couple years.
What I find aggravating is that if these publishers can afford to shut these things down within a year, then they can more than afford to pay their developers more. Rumbleverse was actually doing fine, but the only reason Epic shut it down was because the game wasn't making all the money in the entire universe. I know Max and the Doods aren't going to be happy about this.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Not real news, I just don't know where else to put this, but I've received notices from several local retailers that they have PS5s in stock. First time since launch.

Granted, it's only digital editions bundled with either an extra controller and a 1tb 980 pro nvme ssd, or GoW Ragnarok and said ssd. €650.

Still, progress, and all in all a fair price considering the sum of its parts' cost.