General Gaming News.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Training data cut-off?

01000010 01100101 01100101 01110000 00101100 00100000 01100010 01100101 01100101 01110000 00101100 00100000 01100010 01101111 01101111 01110000 00101100 00100000 01100110 01100101 01101100 01101100 01101111 01110111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100010 01101111 01110100 00101110

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

People are hunting streamers who are playing Hogwarts and bullying the shit out of them. Girlfriend Reviews just trying to watch her partner play the game and can't handle the toxicity from people talking shit in chat.

They've even made a search engine for targeted harassment.
Seems like a such a lovely and stable group of people because god forbid someone wants to stream and play a game about being a wizard and fly around on a broom. Rowling only owns the fucking IP, she had nothing to do with making this game there is no reason to bash people about this.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

People are hunting streamers who are playing Hogwarts and bullying the shit out of them. Girlfriend Reviews just trying to watch her partner play the game and can't handle the toxicity from people talking shit in chat.

Seems like a such a lovely and stable group of people because god forbid someone wants to stream and play a game about being a wizard and fly around on a broom. Rowling only owns the fucking IP, she had nothing to do with making this game there is no reason to bash people about this.
Not the first time something like this has happened. There are people that have gotten harassed for either playing a game, not playing a game, or liking or disliking game. Those type of people are no different from the ones that harass others just for existing or being black, a woman, not Christian, or because the person is trans. Remember all that major harassment that was going on and it's still going on for non-white and female users on Twitch? The one where they take a hands off approach and don't do anything? Yeah, you jackasses might want to get on that.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Not the first time something like this has happened. There are people that have gotten harassed for either playing a game, not playing a game, or liking or disliking game. Those type of people are no different from the ones that harass others just for existing or being black, a woman, not Christian, or because the person is trans. Remember all that major harassment that was going on and it's still going on for non-white and female users on Twitch? The one where they take a hands off approach and don't do anything? Yeah, you jackasses might want to get on that.
Speaking of which, Twitch has banned streamers but have they ever banned users for saying fucked up shit in chat? Or is it on all the streamers to just ban their own bad chatters?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Or is it on all the streamers to just ban their own bad chatters?
Twitch usually leaves it up to the streamers to ban whoever's in their chat. This method doesn't always work though, and twitch knows they can step in any time. Sometimes if a streamer has a moderator that cares, it can be extra helpful. But as we've seen before, this is never always a case. Twitch still needs to be more to step in and not the whole hands off "neutral" approach. It doesn't work. Stop being afraid of your money tree and bottom freaking line. What the hell you got to be afraid of? The ones doing the usual threatening and harassing or more than likely just going to keep going on the people at the front lines than you guys, you even if you did your job

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Harrasment is its own reward. Militants both on the conservative and the progressive side are often people who simply seek a cause to legitimize symbolic or physical violence. Out of pure chance, they fall on the side of "good" or "bad" causes (this isn't symmetrical) but they are often the same nasty piece of work seeking above all the same thrills (and this is symmetrical).

That being said,
Maybe if there was a Fox News sized news outlet or a GOP sized political movement that was all about protecting the LGBTQ+ and the marginalized, we could ignore it. But you know as well as I that this isn't the case.
This kind of reads like complaining about the WNBA not being popular. The LBGTQ will never have such a large organization for that because it's too small of a group.
I disagree with everyone (when don't I ? I'm quite the piece of work myself). There is actually quite a strong financial and political power in favor of LGBTQ+ people, and it shows in the fact that the values of inclusivity are dominant (at various degrees of shyness and clumsyness) in most mainstream cultural products nowadays. Cartoons, movies, comics, videogames, etc. That's what the conservative outrage is about, they feel oppressed by the fact that, indeed, their views are more and more consifdered shameful in a more and more progressive world (where same-sex mariage tends to get legalized, and where the last homophobic states tend to be abominable dictatorships). And it's mostly due to the mirror, feedback effect of socio-cultural evolutions. Producers know where the money is, they know they have more to lose, nowadays, with reactionary narratives than with progressive ones - at least in the western world (they censor it for chinese exports, etc).

And this is due to the fact that, shock horror, while LGBTQ+ people are a minority, they don't represent a cause that is supported by LGBTQ+ people uniquely. A lot of white cis-straight people absolutely detest racists, homophobes and transphobes. What can I say. A lot of men support women' right to vote, a lot of whites are against slavery, a lot a straight people wish gays to have the same rights as them. A lot of people care transversally. The size of the target of bigotry simply isn't relevant.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
40 minutes is a pretty long direct. There should be a lot of stuff shown which will be cool. I'm betting we get a tease of the next Mario game.
Meh. They should do a "oh, and one more thing" thing tho. And it should be Silksong shadow drop "Available on Switch later today".

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Meh. They should do a "oh, and one more thing" thing tho. And it should be Silksong shadow drop "Available on Switch later today".
That's the Hollow Knight sequel right? I forgot that was a thing.

I feel like it would be more mindblowing to announce Half-Life 3 :)

Reactions: Chimpzy

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I disagree with everyone (when don't I ? I'm quite the piece of work myself). There is actually quite a strong financial and political power in favor of LGBTQ+ people, and it shows in the fact that the values of inclusivity are dominant (at various degrees of shyness and clumsyness) in most mainstream cultural products nowadays. Cartoons, movies, comics, videogames, etc. That's what the conservative outrage is about, they feel oppressed by the fact that, indeed, their views are more and more consifdered shameful in a more and more progressive world (where same-sex mariage tends to get legalized, and where the last homophobic states tend to be abominable dictatorships). And it's mostly due to the mirror, feedback effect of socio-cultural evolutions. Producers know where the money is, they know they have more to lose, nowadays, with reactionary narratives than with progressive ones - at least in the western world (they censor it for chinese exports, etc).

And this is due to the fact that, shock horror, while LGBTQ+ people are a minority, they don't represent a cause that is supported by LGBTQ+ people uniquely. A lot of white cis-straight people absolutely detest racists, homophobes and transphobes. What can I say. A lot of men support women' right to vote, a lot of whites are against slavery, a lot a straight people wish gays to have the same rights as them. A lot of people care transversally. The size of the target of bigotry simply isn't relevant.
Hmmm, yes, but also no. It hovers in the middle and certainly more toward the 'don't be an asshole toward the LGBTQ+', but it's still in a state of 'let's not get TOO crazy though' when it comes to actually listening to LGBTQ+ groups, specifically trans, and what they have to say. There's still a side eye toward trans people by the general public, the opinion that J.K. Rowling is being unfairly attacked. This is why trans people are such a huge button for conservatives, because they're the only group left they can openly target while hiding behind the discomfort the general public still somewhat has toward the concept of being trans.

There has been a lot more inclusivity in (geek) media, but it's mostly the mediums that are the least costly to produce, like comics and cartoons. There's a bunch of openly gay characters in Marvel and DC comics that we'll likely not see in an actual Marvel or DC movie for a very long time. Studio heads are still very moderate in that sense. While there is in mainstream movies, shows, and videogames the message to accept the LGBTQ+, there's rarely an attempt to really put their money where their mouth is. There's not much active advocating.

A lot of cis-straight white people do detest racism, homophobia, and transphobia, but a lot of them also decide for themselves what is actually racist, homophobic, and transphobic. It's a frustrating experience when you live with people who are genuinely kind and understanding toward marginalized groups, but then still say things like 'it's always those blacks/foreigners doing crime'.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

It's continuing, these people are harassing a couple that is just trying to do their jobs and be entertaining for people. This should not happen no matter what your stance on Rowling is. This is literally dishing out the harassment that they are so supposedly against, it is disgusting and hypocritical.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

It's continuing, these people are harassing a couple that is just trying to do their jobs and be entertaining for people. This should not happen no matter what your stance on Rowling is. This is literally dishing out the harassment that they are so supposedly against, it is disgusting and hypocritical.
Hey Twitch, get off your asses and actually do something about it. You going to take that "neutral" stance again? Or is it too difficult, because you're bitches-in-boxstands.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

Oh yes, I was there during the stream. The mods were trying their best to ban these mofos, but it was still a struggle. Because all these toxic people had to do was create 2nd, 3rd, 4th, nth accounts to log back in and continue to harass them. It was a shame, because it clearly sounded like they were enjoying it, but the weirdos kept ruining the stream.

Honestly, it's just like that time they streamed TLOU2, but much WORSE.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
I so, so much didn't follow that Potter thing (never was too fond of that universe), but that is just insane. I honestly even couldn't guess which "side" would be assaulting that game and its players, and for which reason. It's really... like a meta-game of football where the players have to seek what to use as a ball ("oooh rowling, that is a good one").

So, this game is considered to be anti-trans because it's related to Rowling's franchise ? Or is it considered too "politically correct" because it features a trans character ? Or both at the same time, because opportunity to yell ?

Are people actually serious about it, or just having a laugh at pretending outrage ? Are they on the side thy proclaim or are they having fun playing both ? Does anyone actually care about anything ?

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
I so, so much didn't follow that Potter thing (never was too fond of that universe), but that is just insane. I honestly even couldn't guess which "side" would be assaulting that game and its players, and for which reason. It's really... like a meta-game of football where the players have to seek what to use as a ball ("oooh rowling, that is a good one").

So, this game is considered to be anti-trans because it's related to Rowling's franchise ? Or is it considered too "politically correct" because it features a trans character ? Or both at the same time, because opportunity to yell ?

Are people actually serious about it, or just having a laugh at pretending outrage ? Are they on the side thy proclaim or are they having fun playing both ? Does anyone actually care about anything ?
Because of Rowling. Some people just want to jump on the hate wagon for publicity, while others seem to have genuine hate and anger over a video game. The funny thing is, you can create your character to be whatever identity you want.

I am no fan of Rowling, but I swear these people need to get a hobby

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Because of Rowling. Some people just want to jump on the hate wagon for publicity, while others seem to have genuine hate and anger over a video game. The funny thing is, you can create your character to be whatever identity you want.

I am no fan of Rowling, but I swear these people need to get a hobby
They need to get an actual life and find a different hobby all together.

Reactions: FakeSympathy