General Gaming News.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Ign's preview was really shakey because they mentioned how unfair it seemed to review a game so transphobic. But they reviewed it anyway and gave it a 9/10 and well...

Reactions: FakeSympathy

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I don't understand the animosity towards the game. Rowling had nothing to do with it. She actually wrote those shitty Fantastic Beasts movies and nobody gave two fucks if you went and watched those.
Apparently she got/gets some financial compensation from it, though I don't know if it is a percentage of sales or has already been paid out. Which, I can see that being an issue for some people considering her views.

I can't comment too much. I have little interest in Harry Potter and wasn't going to buy the game regardless. I wasn't interested in HP before I knew about her distasteful political views. This is an issue for fans of the series to decide for themselves.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I don't understand the animosity towards the game. Rowling had nothing to do with it. She actually wrote those shitty Fantastic Beasts movies and nobody gave two fucks if you went and watched those.
I think it sucks because from what I've seen, it looks like a fun game. A single player, story based game with no always online DRM, battle passes, or microtransactions, and its based off a popular IP that approaches it with understanding and respect for the IP. At least from the screenshots Im not seeing spike green haired badass millennials spouting annoying self aware quips.
Does it suck Rowling is a piece of shit? Yeah, it does. Do some of her stories suck? Yeah, they do.
But like you said, she has nothing to do with this game.
I might play it someday. I can tolerate Harry Potter well enough and it does look visually interesting if noting else.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think it sucks because from what I've seen, it looks like a fun game. A single player, story based game with no always online DRM, battle passes, or microtransactions, and its based off a popular IP that approaches it with understanding and respect for the IP. At least from the screenshots Im not seeing spike green haired badass millennials spouting annoying self aware quips.
And how many of them are too dumb or too self-absorbed to realize this and don't care? I imagine a lot of them. Even if we told them straight to their faces, but then they'll try to pull a " but...but...JK is...". Yeah, so are all of you too for harassing people and threatening them.

Last edited:

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
And how many of them are too dumb or too self-absorbed to realize this and don't care? I imagine a lot of them. Even if he told them straight to their face, but then they'll try to pull a " but...but... JK is...". Yeah, so are all of you too for harassing people and threatening them.
And its not even a question of separating an artist from the art, which I still haven't come to a conclusion on that I'm satisfied with. Rowling, for all her shit, isn't involved in this. She didn't write the story, do any character designs, didn't animate or offer thoughts on spells and game mechanics, didn't voice act or write any lines. This is a totally separate studio that seems genuinely interested in making a good Harry Potter game, and from what I've read in a few reviews, have pro-LGBTQXYZ+Premium messaging in the game itself.
Unless we're doing that everything Harry Potter is inherently tainted.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Unless we're doing that everything Harry Potter is inherently tainted.
Once again, the message from these worthless wastoids is "I'm better than you! You are all in the wrong for buying this product of the jackass I don't like! Everything that she ever created is now tainted! 4EVAH!".

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States

Ign's preview was really shakey because they mentioned how unfair it seemed to review a game so transphobic. But they reviewed it anyway and gave it a 9/10 and well...
The main weird bit is that IGN trashes basically every part of the game, from technical problems to weird story to color coded combat, and it's still somehow a 9/10

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The main weird bit is that IGN trashes basically every part of the game, from technical problems to weird story to color coded combat, and it's still somehow a 9/10
I feel like they are trying to nitpick the game as much as possible in order to have a defense against the hatearmy. They can point to those statements and say "hey we called out the game for the stuff it did so you can't be mad at us." But at the end of the day they are nitpicks and the game is legit good. Part of me says Good on them for having the integrity to still give the game a 9/10 score because a good game is good, rather than a virtue signaling 2/10 or whatever the fuck.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I feel like they are trying to nitpick the game as much as possible in order to have a defense against the hatearmy. They can point to those statements and say "hey we called out the game for the stuff it did so you can't be mad at us." But at the end of the day they are nitpicks and the game is legit good. Part of me says Good on them for having the integrity to still give the game a 9/10 score because a good game is good, rather than a virtue signaling 2/10 or whatever the fuck.
7/10 exists for "good but really flawed" games. Hell, 7/10 should exist for good but not great, but we all know western releases that will probably sell 10 million copies don't get less than 8.5 no matter what

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
7/10 exists for "good but really flawed" games. Hell, 7/10 should exist for good but not great, but we all know western releases that will probably sell 10 million copies don't get less than 8.5 no matter what
POkemon only got a 6. So reviews obviously don't matter lol.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Apparently she got/gets some financial compensation from it, though I don't know if it is a percentage of sales or has already been paid out. Which, I can see that being an issue for some people considering her views.

I can't comment too much. I have little interest in Harry Potter and wasn't going to buy the game regardless. I wasn't interested in HP before I knew about her distasteful political views. This is an issue for fans of the series to decide for themselves.
That's fine. In my opinion boycotting a product you don't need is meaningless.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden

Well, she's made the argument that she considers her views validated by the amount of money she brings in. I cannot find the tweet though.

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
A reminder that even Max is guilty of this. He originally gave Avengers a 7/10, just to be nice or not to be seen as too mean. Only for about three or four weeks later to trash the game with him and the boys. Why couldn't you have done that to begin with? What the hell are you afraid of?

Last edited:
Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Well, she's made the argument that she considers her views validated by the amount of money she brings in. I cannot find the tweet though.
Argumentum ad populum. A bullshit argument by dumb people who think it sounds smart. Everyone in the world should eat shit and rotting corpses. I mean 10 trillion flies can't be wrong.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
That's fine. In my opinion boycotting a product you don't need is meaningless.
Yeah, it doesn't mean anything to say I'm boycotting X when I never bought their stuff to begin with. Arguably, knowing Rowling's views doesn't give me an incentive to try her other stuff but considering I found HP generally Okay before I knew her politics there wasn't much danger of that to start with.