Chinese “Weather Balloon” Enters US Air Space

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
US MIC: We've done it boys! Mission Accomplished!

Seriously, me being cynical.

As much as everyone's been going on about the damn balloon for the past week, it's hard not to think the whole thing feels like a distraction from something else. IDK what else it could be right now but the whole thing feels like US government saying "LOOK! BALLOON!" and the internet looks at it and makes a bunch of memes and totally doesn't notice a couple aircraft carriers moving into the black sea or something.
This person has an answer for you:

The idea that perfectly innocent meteorological survey equipment larger than several vans is sent from one global powerhouse to the airspace of another without telling them first is truly laughable. They're not just completely unaware of the basics of airspace law; they're not idiots.
:rolleyes:

lot of assumptions there that make your 100% confidence ludicrous

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Eh, isn't that the sort of thing Biden would do without a distraction anyway? I guess if one is handed to him it's nice, though.
I think it's just promotion of general hostility, myself.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
:rolleyes:

lot of assumptions there that make your 100% confidence ludicrous
Go ahead, then, what are the faulty assumptions-- and what makes your confidence that it's definitely just a massive weather balloon 🎈sent 7,000 miles to check the wind pressure in the USA more credible?

Reactions: BrawlMan

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Go ahead, then, what are the faulty assumptions--
You really shouldn't need me to analyze the words you wrote. Not in this case. But whatever.

The idea that perfectly innocent meteorological survey equipment larger than several vans is sent from one global powerhouse to the airspace of another without telling them first is truly laughable. They're not just completely unaware of the basics of airspace law; they're not idiots.
*That the Chinese government had any particular awareness of the balloon-- either its existence or where it was
*That the Chinese government didn't communicate with the US regarding the balloon if it did
*That someone at some relevant level of either government is indeed not an idiot
*That you yourself have an adequate understanding of "the basics of airspace law" as it applies to weather balloons and other very high floating objects

and what makes your confidence that it's definitely just a massive weather balloon 🎈sent 7,000 miles to check the wind pressure in the USA more credible?
?

I haven't expressed certainty of anything. It's probably just a weather balloon because that is what it looks like it is without the priming of western media hysterics/theatrics-- which you at least seem to recognize exist while then going on to be 100% confident (!) in their speculations regarding the facts of the case.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
When I was a kid, weather balloons were aliens. 😟

Or maybe aliens were weather balloons, I don't remember well. 👾

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
*That the Chinese government had any particular awareness of the balloon-- either its existence or where it was
The Chinese government acknowledged it was theirs. This isn't contested by either side, or in fact anybody serious at all.

*That the Chinese government didn't communicate with the US regarding the balloon if it did
OK, so the only alternative here would be... that China informed the US it was on it's way, then the US gave permission to enter airspace, then shot it down, then China objected to the shooting... without ever mentioning in the following public statement that they had permission?

Lol ok.

*That someone at some relevant level of either government is indeed not an idiot
Oh, I'm sure quite a few people involved are idiots. Those involved in sending unannounced aircraft into rival superpowers' airspace; and those pretending that spying is a big no-no that only the enemies do.

I don't think anyone involved is so completely, childishly unaware of their own jobs that they have zero knowledge of airspace law.

*That you yourself have an adequate understanding of "the basics of airspace law" as it applies to weather balloons and other very high floating objects
The illegality of sending aircraft unannounced into another country's airspace is pretty universally recognised.

I haven't expressed certainty of anything. It's probably just a weather balloon because that is what it looks like it is without the priming of western media hysterics/theatrics-- which you at least seem to recognize exist while then going on to be 100% confident (!) in their speculations regarding the facts of the case.
Laughing at the idea that it's not a weather balloon kind of expresses high confidence that it is. Well, unless you just thought of something funny that was unrelated, and then accidentally hit 'reply'-- I mean, that's less far-fetched than a bus-sized aircraft travelling over 7,000 miles unannounced by pure accident.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
The Chinese government acknowledged it was theirs. This isn't contested by either side, or in fact anybody serious at all.
That has literally no relevance to whether they were aware of the balloon at the time that you thought they should have been telling the US government about it.

OK, so the only alternative here would be... that China informed the US it was on it's way, then the US gave permission to enter airspace, then shot it down, then China objected to the shooting... without ever mentioning in the following public statement that they had permission?

Lol ok.
Who said anything about permission?

CNN said:
“The Chinese side has repeatedly informed the US side after verification that the airship is for civilian use and entered the US due to force majeure – it was completely an accident,” read the statement, which was published Sunday morning Beijing time.
CNN said:
“China is a responsible country. We have always strictly abided by international law. We have informed all relevant parties and appropriately handled the situation, which did not pose any threats to any countries," Mao said, adding that all parties "expressed their understanding."
The illegality of sending aircraft unannounced into another country's airspace is pretty universally recognised.
There is no universal agreement on the upper limit of what constitutes a country's airspace.

Laughing at the idea that it's not a weather balloon
I was laughing at your 100% certainty. You will apparently be certain about any allegation made against China.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
That has literally no relevance to whether they were aware of the balloon at the time that you thought they should have been telling the US government about it.
So you're contesting that maybe they didn't know where it was? The 200ft aircraft designed to provide data directly to its owner?

Who said anything about permission?
Permission is required to enter another country's airspace. You know that, because you're not 7.

There is no universal agreement on the upper limit of what constitutes a country's airspace.
I'd suggest it's going to be higher than a fighter jet's upper limit, because otherwise it would be pointless.

I was laughing at your 100% certainty. You will apparently be certain about any allegation made against China.
I tend to believe allegations when 1) the incidents aren't out of the ordinary; and 2) the only alternative explanations provided are laughably naive. Generally it's a good idea to be pretty sceptical of state mouthpiece narratives from brutal, kleptocratic governments, whether they're American, Chinese, or anything else.

Last edited:

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I mean, does it really matter? Of course the Chinese government says it was an errant weather balloon and of course the US government says it was a surveillance balloon

The truth is irrelevant

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
So you're contesting that maybe they didn't know where it was? The 200ft aircraft designed to provide data directly to its owner?
Yes, China is in fact not a monolithic hive mind.

Sheesh.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, China is in fact not a monolithic hive mind.

Sheesh.
Ah ok. So the ones who were monitoring it and knew where it was... just didn't tell the ones who needed to let other countries know if it was going to be in their airspace. Trying to nail down exactly how this alternative explanation actually works. Want to know if we're on "lack of knowledge of where their enormous monitoring craft even is" or "some knew, but the ones who needed to know didn't, due to zero communication within the government".

And this is all much more feasible than "governments spy", because China would never use such methods like the US does, smh.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Ah ok. So the ones who were monitoring it and knew where it was... just didn't tell the ones who needed to let other countries know if it was going to be in their airspace. Trying to nail down exactly how this alternative explanation actually works. Want to know if we're on "lack of knowledge of where their enormous monitoring craft even is" or "some knew, but the ones who needed to know didn't, due to zero communication within the government".

And this is all much more feasible than "governments spy", because China would never use such methods like the US does, smh.
there are many alternative explanations that are consistent with the facts. you have just jumped to the one that US propaganda wants to promote.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
there are many alternative explanations that are consistent with the facts. you have just jumped to the one that US propaganda wants to promote.
You haven't yet presented one: you've so far offered a series of seemingly random suggestions that assume farcical bungling incompetence on the part of the Chinese government.

You equate any and all criticism of a few favoured governments with "US propaganda", regardless of prominence or credibility. Its automatic; you're just putting the hours in at this point, and the actual circumstances don't matter. We both know that if the Chinese government shot down a US spy craft-- which the US undoubtedly uses, and I'm sure you won't dispute that-- you'd be here acting smugly dismissive towards anyone who even suggested it wasn't a US Spy craft.