Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
It wouldn't be first time that something being "realistic" has ruined a movie for me.

It's just as bad when a movie is mixed poorly and you can't hear the actors talking over the background noise. Sure, it might be realistic that gunfire and explosions completely drown out speech, but I still want to hear the actors otherwise what's the point of them being there and talking?

The lighting doesn't need to be "realistic" and the audio doesn't need to be "realistic" if it's not serving the audience's ability to see and understand the movie. Some directors get completely up their own ass about that.
I remember those scenes being very vivid in the cinema, but I might fire it up and check them out on Disney+ and see if maybe they’ve done the visual equivalent of whatever the knobheads who did the sound mixing for The Batman did.

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
Banshees of Inisherin - (Disney plus)
It takes a deft hand to craft humour and metaphor into such a sad tale without compromising either of each nor the film's overall dominant melancholic tone.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
You People

An aggressively unfunny romcom featuring Eddie Murphy on autopilot (he even gets greenscreened in a few scenes) and two romantic leads with zero chemistry so disgusted with each other they had to bring a team of special effects artists to CGI their big kiss at the end.

kiss1.png

The screenshot doesn't quite do it justice but the mouths morph into a black void as they each go for it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
You People

An aggressively unfunny romcom featuring Eddie Murphy on autopilot (he even gets greenscreened in a few scenes) and two romantic leads with zero chemistry so disgusted with each other they had to bring a team of special effects artists to CGI their big kiss at the end.

View attachment 7902

The screenshot doesn't quite do it justice but the mouths morph into a black void as they each go for it.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
You People

View attachment 7902

According to the CGI guy they were supposed to fade to black so it didn't matter what was there, but someone in post production editing apparently left the kiss in. You can tell theres a shit ton of CGI flowers so it would make sense. Like maybe he didn't mushed over that part because he thought it didn't matter. I find it kind of difficult that anyone would spend money on a low budget streaming like this to fake a kiss.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Evengelion 1.11\2.22\3.33\1.33+3.33 or something. Watched all of them, still hate the characters and the story seems worse then the original series, but some really cool visuals and action scenes. The first movie mostly follows the plots of a few episodes of the original series, the second somewhat follows the plot but with a new character added in a few scenes, the 3rd and 4th are entirely new. The new stuff is totally full of nonsense dialog and plot points with some cool action scenes and cool visuals. Every now and then characters start to grow but it never lasts long then its back to pseudo religions nonsense. I didn't hate it like I did Starwars episode 3/Rogue 1, but I have no intention of ever watching any of it again.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Evengelion 1.11\2.22\3.33\1.33+3.33 or something. Watched all of them, still hate the characters and the story seems worse then the original series, but some really cool visuals and action scenes. The first movie mostly follows the plots of a few episodes of the original series, the second somewhat follows the plot but with a new character added in a few scenes, the 3rd and 4th are entirely new. The new stuff is totally full of nonsense dialog and plot points with some cool action scenes and cool visuals. Every now and then characters start to grow but it never lasts long then its back to pseudo religions nonsense. I didn't hate it like I did Starwars episode 3/Rogue 1, but I have no intention of ever watching any of it again.
It’s uh, it’s a trip is Evangelion Rebuild.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Black Panther Wakanda Forever

I've gotten weary of the MCUs formula, so I enjoyed this whenever it wasn't indulging in MCU'isms. I do like that much like his comic counterpart, Namor is just kind of an asshole, evenwhen he has a point. I hated when they showed where he got his name from, because it's fucking stupid. Not sure why Freeman and Dreyfus were in this movie. I'm guessing so the movie wouldn't be too black.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I've pretty much drown out the MCU, so of course I binged...

Ant-Man: Fine / Great

Ant-Man & The Wasp: Fine / Great

I don't know what made me watch these finally; maybe all the commercials for Quantumania, but what's done is done. It did remind me how frustrating and tiresome all the interconnectedness of the MCU is. Ant-Man finished on a high note of hope and finality, then I immediately started Ant-Man & The Wasp, and apparently there'd been some international conflict that found Scott under house arrest having not spoken to Hope or Dr. Pym in years because of some apparent bad blood. My first thought was "well, what happened?" My second thought was "oh yeah, there's probably a half dozen movies I haven't seen that explain the dissonance between one movie and its sequel which I watched five minutes apart."

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I've pretty much drown out the MCU, so of course I binged...

Ant-Man: Fine / Great

Ant-Man & The Wasp: Fine / Great

I don't know what made me watch these finally; maybe all the commercials for Quantumania, but what's done is done. It did remind me how frustrating and tiresome all the interconnectedness of the MCU is. Ant-Man finished on a high note of hope and finality, then I immediately started Ant-Man & The Wasp, and apparently there'd been some international conflict that found Scott under house arrest having not spoken to Hope or Dr. Pym in years because of some apparent bad blood. My first thought was "well, what happened?" My second thought was "oh yeah, there's probably a half dozen movies I haven't seen that explain the dissonance between one movie and its sequel which I watched five minutes apart."
Civil War. Ant-Man and Ant-Man and the Wasp take place either side of Captain America Civil War.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Civil War. Ant-Man and Ant-Man and the Wasp take place either side of Captain America Civil War.
Yeah, haven't seen it, neither do I wish to...

...Fuck me, I'll probably watch it.

The MCU really is like garbage television where you find yourself hooked out of boredom and morbid curiosity rather than genuine interest. Have you ever watched one episode of a reality TV show and thought "this is really dumb," then 10 episodes, half a pizza, and a six pack of beer later thought "that was really dumb"?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
My friends and I started watching Wakanda Forever on Saturday night. 2 hours in and it was 12:15 in the morning and there was still an entire hour left to go. We looked at each other and asked "do any of us care about finishing this?" We did not.
Literally the same thing happened to me last night, I paused the movie at 2:10 in and dozed off and got up well past bedtime so I'll pick it back up today, it is only a half hour left, might as well see whatever spectacle the movie built up to. But yeah, the plot of the movie is so paper thin and uninteresting. When the "Na'vi" guy (I just referred to them as the Avatar people) is explaining the origin of his people, I'm just like "why?!?!" in my head, then the sister literally asks "why are you telling me this?" in the movie, and I'm like "fucking exactly". I think the worst thing about the Black Panther movies is that the Wakandan society (and the Na'vi society) doesn't make any sense because you can't have such a successful society with such shit and inconsistent leadership. The leader of the Na'vi is like I'll give you back this scientist chick alive if you conquer the world with me... like what?!?!

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
According to the CGI guy they were supposed to fade to black so it didn't matter what was there, but someone in post production editing apparently left the kiss in.
Here's three reasons why I don't believe that:

1) It makes no sense to cut to black on the Big Kiss at the end of your shitty romcom. You're making a shitty romcom, you're not Christopher Nolan.

2) There're specific reaction shots following the actual kissing, as well as on camera dialogue ("White people use too much tongue" is the joke). You wouldn't write and shoot that if you were planning to fade to black on the kiss. And if these are reshoots, why not reshoot an actual kiss?

3) "Someone in post production left the kiss in" makes no sense either. There's nothing to "leave in". They don't kiss. In a normal world whoever's editing the scene had specific instructions to cut to black, if that's the case. Nobody's first reaction would be to go to the extra trouble of trying to puppeteer a kiss with CG. And it's not something an editor would sneak in either. The director looked at it and went "fuck it".

Reactions: Absent and BrawlMan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Yeah, haven't seen it, neither do I wish to...

...Fuck me, I'll probably watch it.

The MCU really is like garbage television where you find yourself hooked out of boredom and morbid curiosity rather than genuine interest. Have you ever watched one episode of a reality TV show and thought "this is really dumb," then 10 episodes, half a pizza, and a six pack of beer later thought "that was really dumb"?

No I haven’t, I don’t have time to waste on ten episodes of something I don’t enjoy.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Captain America: Civil War: Meh / Great

Yeah, I fucking watched it to satisfy my curiosity as to why Ant-Man and the Pyms had fallen out in the interim between his two titular films, and was mildly disappointed to find he was effectively shoehorned into the story of Civil War (literally dragged out of a white van in a stupor about mid-film because Cap needed "another one") and was relegated to the butt of jokes for his entire runt time.

Marvel doing it's signature snark in a film about their marquee heroes trying to all but tear each other's heads off felt a bit disingenuous. Like, if they weren't going to take it seriously, why should I? The little jabs they took at each other during their first "fight" really made the gravity of the fact that they'd come to that point fall really flat. Nevermind that as they were fighting and destroying an airport, they were basically proving why the Sokovia Accord made sense!

The one thing I did like was the fact that it surrounded the burning question I've had for decades in pretty much every hero spectacle film: who's accountable for all the collateral damage and inexorable deaths??? Yeah, it makes for good visuals to see buildings collapsing, explosions, cars being tossed around like so much confetti, etc., but as far as I can recall, no mass evacuation has ever been issued before superheroes and villains clash in in densely populated areas, so that building that collapsed probably had several hundred people in it, not to mention those running through the streets during the pandemonium on whom the debris is falling. I actually think they downplayed the death tolls when they got sat at a table and had the chaos and destruction they caused shoved in their faces in the form of the Sokovia Accord to make our "heroes" not seem as reckless as they probably were.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Captain America: Civil War: Meh / Great

Yeah, I fucking watched it to satisfy my curiosity as to why Ant-Man and the Pyms had fallen out in the interim between his two titular films, and was mildly disappointed to find he was effectively shoehorned into the story of Civil War (literally dragged out of a white van in a stupor about mid-film because Cap needed "another one") and was relegated to the butt of jokes for his entire runt time.

Marvel doing it's signature snark in a film about their marquee heroes trying to all but tear each other's heads off felt a bit disingenuous. Like, if they weren't going to take it seriously, why should I? The little jabs they took at each other during their first "fight" really made the gravity of the fact that they'd come to that point fall really flat. Nevermind that as they were fighting and destroying an airport, they were basically proving why the Sokovia Accord made sense!

The one thing I did like was the fact that it surrounded the burning question I've had for decades in pretty much every hero spectacle film: who's accountable for all the collateral damage and inexorable deaths??? Yeah, it makes for good visuals to see buildings collapsing, explosions, cars being tossed around like so much confetti, etc., but as far as I can recall, no mass evacuation has ever been issued before superheroes and villains clash in in densely populated areas, so that building that collapsed probably had several hundred people in it, not to mention those running through the streets during the pandemonium on whom the debris is falling. I actually think they downplayed the death tolls when they got sat at a table and had the chaos and destruction they caused shoved in their faces in the form of the Sokovia Accord to make our "heroes" not seem as reckless as they probably were.
In Age of Ultron, the Avengers actively evacuated Sokovia, or tried to but came up a little short until the Helicarrier arrived. In The Avengers one key scene literally has Captain America telling some New York cops to get their shit together and get the people into the subway.

The Avengers go out of their way to keep people safe; they fuck up occasionally - lookin' at you Wanda - but they make the effort.

LegoDnD

Jan 10, 2023
Country
United States of America
And it was a trend from the very start: when Iron Monger's rampage spills into the streets, Iron Man is very careful to place the family-filled SUV that ran into him back down. Then he intercepts all Hammer-bots before they can kill anyone in Iron Man 2, de-powered Thor spares a small town from further destruction by offering himself in sacrifice, and even Hulk is called out in the comics as "always crunching the numbers" to never hurt innocents.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Like, if they weren't going to take it seriously, why should I?
Youuu.. should not ?

It's a story of powerful superbeing spending 3/4th of their time offscreen sewing nice costumes and going "ooh a yellow stripe here would be so cuuute" and "i should totally add twi little wings there" or whatnot. None of the plots make any sense whatsoever (starting with the Thanos omnipotent halving of population because "yeah that should solve it for at least 10 years" and "this is surely the most elegant way to do it") and physics does not apply (hero so strong he can stop a bus hurled at him just by, huh, digging his heels in the ground metaphorically I guess). There's a more logical feel of kinetic energy in Chuck Jones cartoons, more believable plotlines in Moore-era James Bond, and more credible fights in Terence Hill and Bud Spencer flicks. Why should it be watched more "seriously" than these ?

I do enjoy the MCU, and I do appreciate all the silliness and tediousness they actually tone down from the comics (it's a bit less crammed by superheroes, some dialogues last longer without everyone dramatically punching each others through walls, the different characters have distinct faces, etc). But I enjoy it without expecting seriousness or meaning. It wouldn't go with the premise. The infighting is quippy and softy, with an impression that blows are reluctantly traded amongst friends, and it actually makes more sense (especially for supposedly decent characters) than switching back and forth between heroic solidarity and nasty deep hatred. And it allows the fights to end without comparing mums names.

I'm not (it may have transpired) a huge fan of superheroes, marvel or dc stuff. But I do respect and kinda like the MCU, and I think part of it is because of the balance they've truck between all the outrageous (and somewhat contradictory) aspects of the comics. And not pretending too often to be more serious than they are was a wise choice. If they had demanded us to take them more seriously, they could have easily slipped into Snyder levels of ridicule. They mostly gracefully avoided it (while also managing to avoid hannah-barbera).

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
Eight for Silver - (Prime, purchase)
Kinda weird the sites I usually rely on for all manner of international movie curiosities didn't have this listed at all, is if it didn't exist. Had to rely on fucking Amazon to learn and access this film, which feels all kindsa uncomfortable. Anyway, is period British horror about evil British ppl doing what they do best, and they very much do not hang about letting you know they're irredeemable kunts within the first couple of scenes. It's comparable to, if not outright beats RRR in that aspect.

Ok, this is overall a pleasant surprise. But not without some shaky issues. So main criticisms are this does have a noticeable budget issue in some places, mainly the poor decision to use daylight CGI in a couple of moments. Is rookie mistake to pick daytime if your CGI budget is thin. Also what could be best described as the "protagonist" is a bit basic and uninteresting. I can see how he passes the casting barrier of "blandly attractive, plus eagerness with a nice smile" but the film doesn't give him much and he doesn't bring anything of interest character-wise, so when certain plot beats insinuate we are supposed to care about his thoughts and revelations, they do not do a convincing job unfortunately. There is sometimes this depth-of-field filter where the edges of the screen are blurred in various shots, which am not sure if imagining yet. Kinda feels like an above-average UK telly show before the "prestige" series era took off.

Plus sides are better: all other performances are convincing, some moments of practical effects I almost cheered at too. Has an unexpected trajectory, with a bookend connection am not entirely sure what to think of yet. And there's the appealing baseline of spooky revenge peppered throughout. Overall I did enjoy it despite the odd moments the limits wore thin.

Lamb - (MUBI)
Alright I know like nobody likes this film, but fuck it, i do! And I don't quite know how to defend that.

Last edited: