Hogwarts Legacy - Whimsical Wizardry

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Oh sweet summer child.

There is absolutely a moral issue in playing the Nazi side in a WW2 game.
And to my sister and the game, there is a button to tell your units not to open fire. So technically yes, there is in-game mechanics where you can have Nazis kill endless waves of Americans.
Oh yeah, one of their stupidest episodes ever.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016

Taken verbatim from an essay Rowling herself wrote and posted on Pottermore in 2015. Became a meme in 2019 when this account shared it.
Feel that wizarding it away before you've shat yourself would be, I dunno, more magical? Can't they, like, eat magic no-shit food?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Feel that wizarding it away before you've shat yourself would be, I dunno, more magical? Can't they, like, eat magic no-shit food?
The one thing that no fantasy or sci-fi writer ever mentions....how the fuck does anyone take a shit around here?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I especially like the implication that the wizard collective either rejected or somehow ignored basic indoor plumbing for thousands of years, including the founders of Hogwarts and the school itself for roughly 800 years before they finally decided to adopt basic Ancient Rome hygiene. Set Hogwarts Legacy about a hundred years earlier and this could be a mission in the game.

This until of course JK tweets about magic no-shit food.

Reactions: BrawlMan and Baffle

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I especially like the implication that the wizard collective either rejected or somehow ignored basic indoor plumbing for thousands of years, including the founders of Hogwarts and the school itself for roughly 800 years before they finally decided to adopt basic Ancient Rome hygiene. Set Hogwarts Legacy about a hundred years earlier and this could be a mission in the game.

This until of course JK tweets about magic no-shit food.
To be fair though, they have that magic room that changes itself to be whatever you need it to be so maybe sometimes it's a bathroom?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
To be fair though, they have that magic room that changes itself to be whatever you need it to be so maybe sometimes it's a bathroom?
... the one room? For the whole fucking castle? Over a thousand students and staff combined?

@Hawki is the canon expert here but if JK wrote a essay saying wizards shit their pants on the spot until the 18th century I'll be goddamned to disbelieve her.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Doesn't seem like it's a moral issue. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that people who play Nazis in films for instance aren't actual Nazis.
Point of fact, there's a bit of history of them being victims of the Nazis. My favorite example for that is Conrad Veidt, whose career had him frequently play Nazis in American film. Ever see Casablanca? He played Major Strasser. Want to know why he's my favorite example? He was a German refugee who was very much an outspoken critic of the Nazis and was willing to put his money where his mouth was.

A particularly fun story in this regard is that about a week after he married Ilona Prager (who happened to be Jewish), Nazi Propaganda minister Joseph Goebbels ordered all the major German actors to fill out a racial questionnaire. So Veidt put down his race as "Jude", which he did purely as a gesture of support for his wife and the Jewish community...and this was after he had already been told that if he wanted to keep working in Germany, he'd have to divorce Ilona. This naturally led Goebbels to blacklist him. The couple promptly left for England, where they became naturalized citizens.

...But it gets better. The guy's reason for moving to the United States was to help the British in making films that could sway public opinion enough to get America to join the fight against the Nazis, and before they left for the States he and his wife donated much of their life savings to the British war effort.

So yeah...Veidt was awesome.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Point of fact, there's a bit of history of them being victims of the Nazis. My favorite example for that is Conrad Veidt, whose career had him frequently play Nazis in American film. Ever see Casablanca? He played Major Strasser. Want to know why he's my favorite example? He was very much an outspoken critic of the Nazis and was willing to put his money where his mouth was.

A particularly fun story in this regard is that about a week after he married Ilona Prager (who happened to be Jewish), Nazi Propaganda minister Joseph Goebbels ordered all the major German actors to fill out a racial questionnaire. So Veidt put down his race as "Jude", which he did purely to support his wife and the Jewish community...and this was after he had already been told that if he wanted to keep working, he'd have to divorce Ilona. This naturally led Goebbels to blacklist him. The couple promptly left for England, where they became naturalized citizens.

...But it gets better. The guy's reason for moving to the United States was to help the British in making films that could sway public opinion enough to get America to join the fight against the Nazis, and before they left, he and his wife donated much of their life savings to the British war effort.

So yeah...Veidt was awesome.
Werner Klemperer also famously only took on the role of Col. Klink on the proviso that Klink and the other Germans never win or be portrayed as competent. Not quite as ballsy as Conrad essentially dropping his cast iron balls on Goebells’s desk and double dog daring him though.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
... the one room? For the whole fucking castle? Over a thousand students and staff combined?

if JK wrote a essay saying wizards shit their pants on the spot until the 18th century I'll be goddamned to disbelieve her.
She's about to Well ackshually you about wizards not wearing pants, despite plenty of evidence of pants. Probably a pantsillusionio spell or something imaginitive.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I feel like the surgery and the hormones' have been promoted by people on social media that it's made people who might only be a bit confused think that those things are the answer. I agree they need to do more work on it and help treat people better. I want everyone who goes through transition to be 100% sure of themselves in wanting it, rather than being suggested or pressured by social media and doctors only out to cash a check.

Despite what people might think, I'm not anti-trans or anything like that. But I am against social media pressures, and this mindset of rushing people into doing it as an ultimate solution to some confusing thoughts. It's not ending well for people and that fucking sucks.
Don't fucking start with this shit. Every fucking treatment and therapy has regret rates and transgender ones beat out some cancer treatments. This shit is just the "ex-gay here, conversion therapy is great" bullshit of 15 years ago.

Y'all jumping to believe every bit of fucking social media propaganda while actual wait time stretch in to fucking years for most people, I fucking swear to god

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Don't fucking start with this shit. Every fucking treatment and therapy has regret rates and transgender ones beat out some cancer treatments. This shit is just the "ex-gay here, conversion therapy is great" bullshit of 15 years ago.

Y'all jumping to believe every bit of fucking social media propaganda while actual wait time stretch in to fucking years for most people, I fucking swear to god
Shit, even if it WERE true, why the fuck does Twitter User IRegretSurgery1488 get to dictate what kind of treatments/surgery I am and am not allowed to get just because they regretted it?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
It's also a moot point considering that the Star Wars games have always been canon (since about Shadows of the Empire IIRC, which was part of a multimedia campaign) across both Legends and the current canon - how you treat them is your prerogative - but to claim that they aren't is factually wrong, there's no two ways about this. To claim that Star Wars games aren't canon is to fly in the face of every statement ever made about their canonicity.
Darth Vader is the busiest ************ to ever live then, I guess
I also don't know why Mass Effect is here, Mass Effect is its own thing. Also technically has four endings, but whatever.
Literally a throwaway example of games having multiple contradictory endings which cannot all be canon
We can't even decide on what primary sources are. Me, personally, I'd include the seven novels, three Fantastic Beasts movies, and Cursed Child. If you don't agree, then I don't care.
You should probably watch them then, when arguing specifics
Still not seeing the contradiction. If they have personalities, if they can choose their own actions, then it sounds like they have free will.
Tripped up by adjectives I see. You can have Will without it being Free
I'm just going by what's stated. Frankly, I'm surprised that homebrew settings are considered part of the overall multiverse, but that's apparently Wizards' policy, at least as of 2015.
Bullshit, prove it
What kind of art? Not good art by any means. Orcs spend most of their time destroying other peoples' art (and civilization).
Incorrect, Orcs as a nation do not spend more or less time at war than anybody also in the Warhammer Universe. Unless you also count wars with each other, which is more of a sport
You're aware, I assume, of the phrase "the exception proves the rule."
I'm aware that morons use it wrong. The Exception That Proves the Rule means that a sign that says "Parking is Free on Weekends" proves that parking is not free on weekdays, because parking being free on weekends is the exception.
I can think of other examples in fiction - you have "Evil Race X," with the exception of a single character, that ipso facto, helps prove how his species is a bunch of gits because they're the exception, and usually the lone one at that.
Which means that Evil Race X isn't Inherently Evil, which is usually the fucking point of those character's existence, proving that that race can be saved

Reactions: BrawlMan

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
There's a specific rule that says that magic cannot make food, except for sauces, which don't count for some reason, and except for transfiguration, where you can turn things that aren't food into food. Which is probably just a case of wildly inconsistent writing, because that happened before the book where you find out that Hogwarts' food is made by an army of slave labor, who use their own inherent magic to teleport the food where it needs to go on school grounds

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Literally a throwaway example of games having multiple contradictory endings which cannot all be canon
Yes, and when that happens, a canonical ending is usually chosen.

Since Star Wars was the go-to example, in KOTOR, the established canon was male Revan, Light Side ending. In KOTOR 2, the established canon was female Exile, Light Side ending (IIRC, the canon policy was light side endings were always the canon ones).

You should probably watch them then, when arguing specifics
One single film out of all that, that you brought up.

Yes, and? How does that disprove free will.

Bullshit, prove it

Quote: The multiverse is the sum total of all possible worlds and realities in Dungeons & Dragons. It includes every official D&D campaign setting and every unofficial homebrew world.

Source: Player's Handbook (5e) (2014), p.5-6

Incorrect, Orcs as a nation do not spend more or less time at war than anybody also in the Warhammer Universe. Unless you also count wars with each other, which is more of a sport
You're really getting into the semantics of "war" vs. "sport," which to any outside observer is a war?

Also, orcs spend much, MUCH more of their time at war than the "good" races. They're either invading, usually from across the World's Edge Mountains, or fighting among themselves. Groups like the High Elves, human nations, dwarfs, Wood Elves, Lizardmen spend more of their time defending their own lands rather than invading others. When was the last time you heard of the Chaos Dwarfs waging a war of conquest, or the Dark Elves seeking to actually conquer anything other than Ulthuan (key word being conquer, not the constant slave raiding).

I'm aware that morons use it wrong. The Exception That Proves the Rule means that a sign that says "Parking is Free on Weekends" proves that parking is not free on weekdays, because parking being free on weekends is the exception.
Bob: Cars have four wheels.

Bill: But I saw a car that has three wheels.

Bob: And that stuck out to you?

Bill: Yes.

Bob: Why?

Bill: Because cars usually have four wheels.

Bob: Good boy.

Which means that Evil Race X isn't Inherently Evil, which is usually the fucking point of those character's existence, proving that that race can be saved
Not really.

I went through my IP list to find examples of an inherently evil race (not a species that does horrific things, a race that is fundamentally malignant on a biological and/or spiritual level) where there's a member that for whatever reason isn't, and then goes onto change their species. The only real example I can find of this is in Stargate, where:

*The goa'uld can reasonably called "inherently evil" by virtue of their physiology (parasites, so by biology, you can reasonably argue that all their actions are driven by their inherent nature

*There's a faction of the goa'uld called the Tok'ra who conciously fight against their natural selves, and only take hosts if the host allows it

*By the end of SG-1, the Goa'uld Empire is in shambles, while the Tok'ra are still operating, nominally, though are at risk of extinction.

If we're talking about a group/species/faction that does horrific things, then are 'redeemed,' then I can easily find examples of that, but that's not a case of an inherently evil race being redeemed. Take Lord of the Rings for example - the orcs are never redeemed, because by their nature, they can't be, whereas the Army of the Dead can be redeemed, because humans aren't inherently evil.

And since this began with Drizzit, how's he doing on the whole drow redemption thing? Because as far as I can tell, he's still doing his own thing rather than being Drow Jesus.

Edit: You might be able to add Sarah Kerrigan/the zerg to the list, in that:

*The zerg are a hive mind, originally commanded by the Overmind, who was in turn directed, though not directly controlled, by Amon.

*Kerrigan assumes control of the Swarm by the end of the Brood War, meaning that Amon has no means of direct control.

*The zerg, under Kerrigan, ultimately fight under Kerrigan's command in the End War. By the end of said conflict, the zerg are under the control of Zagara, and while still a hive mind, they're not arbitrarily going out and killing/assimilating everything.

However, even then is compounded by Kerrigan not originally being zerg, so the 'redemption' of their species (if evil is a term that can be applied) is still coming from an outside source.

Last edited:

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Yes, and? How does that disprove free will.
Mate, nobody's trying to "disprove free will". Demon's just don't have it in either D&D or Warhammer

Quote: The multiverse is the sum total of all possible worlds and realities in Dungeons & Dragons. It includes every official D&D campaign setting and every unofficial homebrew world.

Source: Player's Handbook (5e) (2014), p.5-6
"We came up with a poetic way of saying that you can have a home brew world and still be playing "real" D&D"

You're really getting into the semantics of "war" vs. "sport," which to any outside observer is a war?
No, I'm having fun with the funny Warhammer orcs.
Bob: Cars have four wheels.

Bill: But I saw a car that has three wheels.

Bob: And that stuck out to you?

Bill: Yes.

Bob: Why?

Bill: Because cars usually have four wheels.

Bob: Good boy.
The everliving fuck are you on about?

Not really.

I went through my IP list to find examples of an inherently evil race (not a species that does horrific things, a race that is fundamentally malignant on a biological and/or spiritual level) where there's a member that for whatever reason isn't, and then goes onto change their species. The only real example I can find of this is in Stargate, where:
Now, see, I *am* a huge Stargate nerd, so this should be a certain definition of fun
*The goa'uld can reasonably called "inherently evil" by virtue of their physiology (parasites, so by biology, you can reasonably argue that all their actions are driven by their inherent nature
Bullshit, parasites are not inherently evil, they simply *are*. It's just a different mode of existing. Technically speaking, there's nothing inherent about the Goa'uld organism that's parasitic to begin with, it's called a symbiote for a reason, it's the Goa'uld culture and empire that's parasitic and evil. Goa'uld aren't inherently evil, they just have millennia worth of a cultural superiority complex, baked in trauma, and a nasty philosophy
*There's a faction of the goa'uld called the Tok'ra who conciously fight against their natural selves, and only take hosts if the host allows it
The Tok'ra are not constantly fighting against their "natural selves" to be abhorrent slavers, no. That's a *wild* mischaracterization of Tok'Ra philosophy and is, in fact, a sticking point in the show
*By the end of SG-1, the Goa'uld Empire is in shambles, while the Tok'ra are still operating, nominally, though are at risk of extinction.
Can be saved and are saved are two separate propositions. If the Gua'uld were inherently evil, the Tok'ra would not exist as they do.
And since this began with Drizzit, how's he doing on the whole drow redemption thing? Because as far as I can tell, he's still doing his own thing rather than being Drow Jesus.
Literally all I said was that Drizzit proved that Drow aren't inherently evil, which is a fact, as Drizzit is a Drow and is not evil

Last edited:

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Eh...let's be fair here. Free Will is one of those things that's so hotly debated as a direct consequence of it being so inconsistently defined. Depending on who you ask, it can mean anything from "has the capacity to make any choice or have its own opinion" all the way to "tells fate exactly how it can fuck itself", with pitstops at every permutation of "able to defy its very nature" and "does not count if the decision is coerced", never mind the "you must have at least this much pristine soul to ride" layovers.

For ease of example, does the classic wish-twisting djinn have free will? Some will say that djinn don't have true souls and therefore argue that it's impossible. Others will dispute that premise and say yes on those grounds. Both cases presume the presence of a soul to be the determinant factor. Some will argue that it's irrelevant and that the djinn being compelled to grant wishes means it does not have free will and only exists in the confines of its purpose. Some will argue that the fact that it can and will twist wishes constitutes rebellion and thus evidences free will. Still more will dispute that the wish-twisting is just in the djinn's nature and thus doesn't evidence free will. Others will qualify their answer on whether or not the djinn can exist freely of its duty. And so on, ad infinitum.

...Or, having invoked that phrase, how about Owlman's perspective in Crisis on Two Earths that the very concept of Free Will and choice is an illusion because every possible outcome exists across the multiverse? That every decision is meaningless and its significance invalidated because on another earth you've already made the opposite choice? Is Terminator 3 anti-Free Will because it spells out that Judgment Day can't be stopped? Was Terminator 2 pro-Free Will because it ends on the hopeful note that the future could be changed? Is the existence of time travel invalidate the concept of free will unless the timeline is as terrifyingly malleable as it is in Back to the Future? The list goes on and there probably as many different opinions on what constitutes Free Will as there are people who you ask the questions. Everone thinks they know what it is, but nobody ever seems to be able to agree on the criteria.