Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
It's true that you shouldn't rely on the audience being inherently averse to Nazis, but I would go a step further and say that you shouldn't rely on the idea that showing horror is the same thing as condemning it. You still have to frame it in a way that makes your intent clear.

Horror is a function of empathy. It's not just about bad things happening to people, it's about bad things happening to people we care about. If you show your villains committing horrible acts but do nothing to make me care about the victims of those acts, then are they actually the villains?
Yeah obviously. That's why I qualified it with "if you are making art against the nazis". You obviously could be making a B movie slasher film or something much less thoughful that uses gore just for shock value or even can have it be slapstic comedy like when Charlie Chaplin did it.

You could also just be making like, I dunno, a cool vampire anime in the vein of hellsing so in that case the nazis are less a grim warning to the ills of war and more a monster that needs to be put down by your bro Alucard-totally-not-Dracula, and in that setting you want the (actual ww2 era )nazi vampires that awoke in the present to be more heavily into the mad scientist vibe as opposed to the racist psycho vibe because it gels more with the mysticism inherent in vampire stories. Though to be fair them bombing london was pretty damn grim and thought-provoking. Add to that the moral questions of humans exterminating vampires because they're not human, and Alucard occasionally musing to himself that it seems to be ok to hunt vampires because they're monsters but as soon as someone treats other humans the same way they are seen as evil. So yeah, you can see it stepping its toe in, but then it goes into crazy over the top hype fun action and doesn't dwell too heavily into it. So that story is just more about morality itself than about nazis in particular.

Finally, I think horror is also effective when you have empathy for the perpetrator, because you see how their horrible acts ruin them too. So generally speaking you wanna have everyone be someone with whom you empathized at at least a brief point of the story you're telling. It can only enrich the impact of whatever follows.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yep. Almost 27 minutes whining about JK Rowling and barely anything about the game, how it plays, how good it is... I feel physically sick just watching it really. Sterling left the Escapist and turned into yet another random Youtuber whining about this and that for attention and views rather than because he actually had a legit point to make because that's how he makes his living.
And you're full of crap and completely missed the point in this regard. I could not give a damn about your feelings on this. Sterling still ain't wrong about what's going on, nor do I blame them. We have nothing left to discuss on this.

Reactions: Kyrian007

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
…If they could just “vani-shit“, then why the hell go through all the effort of adding plumbing?
Convenience or to look normal to the outside world. I know we have a little bit of a voodoo shark situation, but at least it makes some sense. Besides, people get old and maybe for certain magic users, they're magic ain't up to snuff, or get too lazy to bother with a spell. Also, you're going to need toilet paper.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
IIRC, from the few videos they made that I saw, they sometimes had some decent things to say, but they buried it in a long video full of waffle and "trendy" youtuber personality stuff. Though, that might have been a requirement, either directly or not.
Jim always had a talent for turning a 5 minute point into at least 25. And chances are it was the same point he made 3 weeks ago.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
So is anybody in this thread going to acknowledge that Jim-Steph Sterling transitioned? Or are we just being passive-aggressive with all the misgendering?

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Anyway back to the game, I'm basically done with the game now. The story never really ramps up tbh, which makes sense because it's for a younger audience to be able to enjoy. The villain at the beginning is the villain for the whole game and there's no Snape/Dumble-twist or anything like that. Most of the "story" is really just you going to class and learning all the spells.

The real meat of the game is exploration which is fine and it's really novel and fun for a while but with 600+ collectibles, I got burned out around half of them and just finished the story. Combat thankfully ramps up in the back half of the game once you've attended the classes and learned all the tools. For what the game is and the range of the audience I still think the game does what it wants about as good as it possibly could. The younger crowd can enjoy a simple story in a HP world, while older gamers can also hunt some pretty challenging collectibles for completionist sake. While simple, it's hard to argue against there being a lot on offer here.

So yeah. What's the next release?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So is anybody in this thread going to acknowledge that Jim-Steph Sterling transitioned? Or are we just being passive-aggressive with all the misgendering?
Jim's non-binary, not trans iirc, and they've not actually changed their name so what's the problem with referring to Jim as Jim?

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Jim's non-binary, not trans iirc, and they've not actually changed their name so what's the problem with referring to Jim as Jim?
I mean the people who keep saying "he/him" instead of "they/them." Easy mistake to make, I suppose, but at some point I start to wonder if it's deliberate.

And yeah, they are a non-binary trans fem. I don't know if the name change was legal.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So is anybody in this thread going to acknowledge that Jim-Steph Sterling transitioned?
I acknowledge a little after the moment they got started. Sterling has my full support, and I'm happy they found happiness with their full time wrestling career.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
…If they could just “vani-shit“, then why the hell go through all the effort of adding plumbing?
I think that "[they] relieved themselves wherever they stood, AND vanished the evidence" implies they would piss and shit on the spot and AFTERWARDS magic away the so-called evidence. If they're magicking their insides clean without the process of having a bowel movement first I don't think she would word it as "relieving" and "vanish the evidence".

If anybody finds this conversation gross and stupid: JK started it, and I'm sure she'd be glad to continue it.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I think that "[they] relieved themselves wherever they stood, AND vanished the evidence" implies they would piss and shit on the spot and AFTERWARDS magic away the so-called evidence. If they're magicking their insides clean without the process of having a bowel movement first I don't think she would word it as "relieving" and "vanish the evidence".

If anybody finds this conversation gross and stupid: JK started it, and I'm sure she'd be glad to continue it.
Before, after, eh. Seems irrelevant as long as they’re not just doing it any old place in public. Idk about Hogwarts etiquette but the name literally doesn’t even have the most pleasant of implications.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I mean the people who keep saying "he/him" instead of "they/them." Easy mistake to make, I suppose, but at some point I start to wonder if it's deliberate.

And yeah, they are a non-binary trans fem. I don't know if the name change was legal.
Not deliberate for me tbh. But it is very hard for me to think about because I'm talking about Jim which is a he/him name and I've known them as he/him for over a decade. So it's more habitual and it show cases just how hard it is to change vocabulary when it is so engrained. When non-binary people say things like, "It's so simple" or "Is it really that hard to remember" when talking about pronouns, the truth is YES it's very fucking hard to break decades of habit and general conventions.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

The thing that confuses me and my idiot brain about “they/them” is it literally sounds like straddling the line in terms of gender without actually committing to one or the other. Years ago this sorta thing would’ve likely been indicative of having multiple/split personalities or something. I guess it’s meant to sound all-inclusive as a catch-all kinda thing to represent past & present.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
When non-binary people say things like, "It's so simple" or "Is it really that hard to remember" when talking about pronouns, the truth is YES it's very fucking hard to break decades of habit and general conventions.
My experience has been the opposite. When a friend of mine transitioned, I think I used the wrong pronoun maybe once by mistake and that was it. Then again, I have a certain fascination with the way language works. For example:

The thing that confuses me and my idiot brain about “they/them” is it literally sounds like straddling the line in terms of gender without actually committing to one or the other. Years ago this sorta thing would’ve likely been indicative of having multiple/split personalities or something. I guess it’s meant to sound all-inclusive as a catch-all kinda thing to represent past & present.
Doesn't help that the English language doesn't necessarily have a vocabulary for some of these concepts and the solutions we come up with are pretty ad-hoc.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
My experience has been the opposite. When a friend of mine transitioned, I think I used the wrong pronoun maybe once by mistake and that was it. Then again, I have a certain fascination with the way language works. For example:
You have in-person experience with that person, and because of that relationship it's easier to remember because you associate that person with the given pronoun. I don't have that, so I'm almost always referring to people in the abstract of only knowing them online so for me it doesn't work the same way because there is no physical person that my brain registers as whatever.

This happens a lot on podcasts and debates I've seen as well where it's hard to keep associated pronouns or terms of a person straight whenever you are not directly interacting with said person. Even the most progressive people fuck this up during debates or general shows. Mostly because generic he/she pronouns are so ingrained in the normal language that when you are talking fast and firing off point after point or even when typing quickly, your default is going to be the default labels unless you can catch yourself.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Isn't this just a new char like the Aristocrat or something? Jim's been known to do weird gags before lol.