Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
No, more the fact that what you call canon is far smaller than what's actually canon, meaning that like I said back then, it's a waste of time to discuss it.
Even if you count the character from Arthurian legend that Rowling didn't create, and is only referred to in a footnote anyway, and the two kids from the play that Rowling didn't write (none of these being canon, by the way), Slytherin still had a racist founder, one thousand years of racist history, produced magic Hitler, two magic World Wars and several generations of bullies, cheats, murderers and magic nazis. At its best, charitably, there's a Not All Slytherins movement that never fails to bring up the anecdotally few members of that horribly toxic house that weren't complete monsters - despite belonging there, and never because of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Plus, like, it just proves the rule of Racist Bully house: naturally they're gonna bully the weak, that's what the house is about. The sorting hat just figured they had what it took to potentially be the racist bullies, not that they'd land on the top of that shit pile. And considering Leta Lestrange jumped at the chance to be a hard ass cop, after running around pretending to be one after they fired her, and rejoining immediately after that organization tried to kill her dumb ass, I fully believe she had the bully in her all along

And if kids after the books were being bullied by non-slytherins...of fucking course they did! They got sorted into Hitler Youth House 15 years after the death of Super Neo Hitler! The fuck would you expect to happen?

Last edited:

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Why does one of those things have to be male and the other female?

Why is it impossible for you to imagine a stable point outside of those two identities (at least, to the extent that any human identity is stable).

I'm sorry to tell you this. But there's nothing "logical" about the fact you base a huge part of your social identity on the shape of your genitals. In fact, it's actually pretty silly and nonsensical. So much so in fact that for some people, being non-binary is intented as a political statement to illustrate how deeply silly this whole neurotic crotch obsession of yours is.

People like you burn down forests because you get too excited about whether an unborn fetus has a dick or not, and yet we're the ones who are too hard to accommodate..
Male and female are the things, you need tradition to establish other stuff as "things", you need to pass the test of time. Just claims of belief or identity ring hollow.

The reason we even have a social component to our lives or a social identity is a byproduct of our drive for survival through reproduction so it makes perfect sense to base your identity on the thing that you're trying to satisfy through being social in the first place. It's a virtuous loop.

And hey, I don't need to be accommodated to throw a gender reveal party, I got enough TNT for like 10 of em.

Speaking as someone who is actually genderfluid (which most non-binary people are not). I don't give "gendered roles" to my emotions. I'm really not sure where you got that idea.

The "fluidity" in my identity is based on whether I want to be interpreted as more feminine or more masculine, not which emotion I am feeling. You can, believe it or not, be feminine or masculine and still be a complete person with a full range of emotions.

You don't lose your full range of emotions on a day that you are a bit more quiet though, nor do you when you're amped and raring to go. Not getting this basic thing is what makes me question if you actually have a normal range of emotions, because if you do you recognize that being in a particular mood is more about turning a dial like 10% higher on one part of your emotional range and having it be temporarily more dominant of a driving force, and not that this is the only emotion you have and everything else is erased.

And I think we're talking about the same thing here but just using different words for it, that thing of wanting to be interpreted in such a way that people grasp as female is the thing I referred to as well, only I just used my own conception of a demure ladylike persona as the standard, instead of whatever it is you have in mind.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
If anyone thinks this is hyperbole. At least one of JK Rowling's friends, whom she has personally defended, is currently openly celebrating the fatal stabbing of a 16 year old trans girl and openly claiming that she deserved to die.

If I had the heart to explain more of what's going on with that case, I would. Instead, I will point out the sardonically humorous example of a Labour (read, Red Tory) MP who decided to publicly question how someone with gonads can be female. "It's just basic biology" at its finest.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Again, Lord of the Rings. Orcs, trolls, etc., are evil by their nature. Humans aren't. In part because we know how humans operate in the real world.
Tolkien always flip-flopped around that. He wanted the Orcs etc as evil by nature but he also wanted them to have free will because without the option to be good they wouldn't really count as evil in his mind. Never managed to square that particular circle.

As for Warhammer demons, well, enough was already said on them, but Warhammer lore is quite convoluted and inconsistent. And there is more than enough about gods and Chaos gods basically being the same kind of warp entities.

D&D has even less of a consistent lore approach. But its demons and outsiders generally do have free will. Otherwise we wouldn't have all the fallen angel story-lines or the succubus paladin. D&D also introduced alignment subtypes to make it possible that creatures counted as [alignment] for magic purposes without actually being [alignment].

Last edited:

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
If anyone thinks this is hyperbole. At least one of JK Rowling's friends, whom she has personally defended, is currently openly celebrating the fatal stabbing of a 16 year old trans girl and openly claiming that she deserved to die.

If I had the heart to explain more of what's going on with that case, I would. Instead, I will point out the sardonically humorous example of a Labour (read, Red Tory) MP who decided to publicly question how someone with gonads can be female. "It's just basic biology" at its finest.
Ah no, I hadn't really read the news about her beyond the headlines for the last few days and hadn't realised it was a hate crime. Everything continues to be awful :(.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Ah no, I hadn't really read the news about her beyond the headlines for the last few days and hadn't realised it was a hate crime. Everything continues to be awful :(.

Are you talking about this incident? The report says that there is no evidence that this was a hate crime, she was just a victim of violence who HAPPENED to be trans.

Though you could argue that every murder is a hate crime I guess. Sometimes people are just in the wrong place at the wrong time. It sucks.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016

Are you talking about this incident? The report says that there is no evidence that this was a hate crime, she was just a victim of violence who HAPPENED to be trans.

Though you could argue that every murder is a hate crime I guess. Sometimes people are just in the wrong place at the wrong time. It sucks.
Oh fuck off.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You can believe whatever you want in your head to make yourself sleep at night, but I highly doubt it wasn't a hate crime. Especially with what's going on in the UK right now. There is a reason why hate crime charges exist and most of the western world. Whether it be for people of different race especially, religion, gay, gender, or trans.

Murder is still murder. They both murdered in the first degree. When they do get charged with a hate crime, I'm not going to be exactly crying for them. So you can screw off on it's a coincidence bull crap. You're fooling no one but yourself. I'm not surprised coming from Mr. "It's pointless to have a hate crime charge!".

Last edited:
Reactions: Gyrobot

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Even if we were to automatically decide that it was a coincidence (which we shouldn't, but it's no surprise to see who has), Rowling supporting someone saying they deserved to be murdered for being trans might just possibly reveal something about Rowling.

It's not a big reveal, cause even many of us living under a rock have heard about how awful Rowling has decided to be, though.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Male and female are the things, you need tradition to establish other stuff as "things", you need to pass the test of time.
No you don't, that's obviously fallacious.

And even if you did, non-binary people have been around for decades. Your personal incredulity does not determine the nature of reality.

The reason we even have a social component to our lives or a social identity is a byproduct of our drive for survival through reproduction so it makes perfect sense to base your identity on the thing that you're trying to satisfy through being social in the first place.
The world is full of animals who live solitary lives and yet reproduce. Reproduction is actually one of the easiest parts of social life, so easy that you don't need to be a social animal to do it. You don't even need a central nervous system in order to do it. In fact, the capacity for abstract thought, language and social identity seems to make it harder to reproduce, not easier. There are countless evolutionary advantages to being a complex, intelligent social animal. The ability to reproduce isn't one of them.

Not getting this basic thing is what makes me question if you actually have a normal range of emotions, because if you do you recognize that being in a particular mood is more about turning a dial like 10% higher on one part of your emotional range and having it be temporarily more dominant of a driving force, and not that this is the only emotion you have and everything else is erased.
Okay, so to try and explain it again. Identity and emotion are different things. I'm not sure where you get the idea that anyone thinks otherwise. Emotions are gendered because the society we live in is deeply irrational and everything in it is gendered, but that relates more to the expectations placed on people than the reality of their emotional states.

Now, because it's an issue close to my heart, I could point out that some people do have personality or identity disorders which means they lack a stable sense of identity, and for those people their identity might be heavily affected by their mood. Those people have very hard lives and deserve to be treated with respect, because they're still human beings like you even if they work a little differently sometimes.

But for me, no. My moods do not determine my identity. Furthermore, far from being constantly in flux, my identity is actually just as stable as yours. I am not a man one day and then a woman the next, I am always non-binary. Sometimes I feel like I want to be seen as more masculine (as more like a man, not as a man) and sometimes I want to be seen as more feminine (as more like a woman) and I might express myself accordingly in order to be seen as such. But this isn't determined by my moods, it's mostly determined by how much I am experiencing gender dysphoria, because I do have gender dysphoria and while I don't subscribe to the idea that you can only be trans or non-binary if you have gender dysphoria, it's a big part of why I am the way I am.

We all have an internalized sense of who we are and how we would like others to see us. That's what identity ultimately is. It's not the same thing as your mood, although it can certainly make you very unhappy if the way you see yourself doesn't match up with the way others see you.

And I think we're talking about the same thing here but just using different words for it, that thing of wanting to be interpreted in such a way that people grasp as female is the thing I referred to as well, only I just used my own conception of a demure ladylike persona as the standard, instead of whatever it is you have in mind.
Again, I don't accept that being feminine, or even having a demure and ladylike persona (which I don't think is quite the same thing) is the same as feeling happy, or sad, or any other emotion. I think in large part masculinity and femininity are aesthetics, it's about what you look like. It's also about the position you occupy in a gendered society, the dynamics of your relationships with other people, which are not always heterosexual dynamics between men and women.

I am not a trans woman. There was a time in my life when I very much wanted to be a woman, but I am not that person and haven't been for decades. If I want to be feminine, it's not because I want to be a woman and it's certainly not because I want to live out your fantasies about demure straight women. I am literally none of those things, and I don't find them to be aspirational.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Drop this. This is not somewhere you can possibly go and look good.

To address the point, the police put out the statement that there was no evidence of a hate crime immediately after the event, before even arresting the perpetrators. They also stated, at the same time, that it was a targetted incident. That's a bit weird, isn't it. A trans girl is killed in a deliberate, premeditated attack, and yet police are willing to say there's no evidence of it being hate related before they've even gathered any evidence.

Then, a couple of days later. They change their mind. Now they're investigating all possibilities including the possibility that it was a hate crime. It turns out the attack could have been hate related, there just wasn't any evidence of that before they'd gathered the evidence. Who could have seen that coming?

Now we move onto the part that hasn't been reported in mainstream media, and which you can choose to treat as less credible as you wish but is nonetheless true.

The police did this deliberately in order to control the media narrative. They wanted newspaper reporting to give the impression that this probably wasn't a hate crime, even though they knew it was. Do you know how they knew it was? Because the child in question had been subject to a sustained campaign of bullying and harassment (including specific threats of violence) which had been reported to police, and which the police had done nothing about. They specifically spread information they could not possibly have reason to believe in order to destroy sympathy towards someone they knew they had failed.

Because that is the reality of how the police treat violence against minorities, and queer people in particular. We like to pretend that UK police are better. They're not, they just don't have guns.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
I think in large part masculinity and femininity are aesthetics, it's about what you look like.
One thing I've noticed my fellow straights having a hard time getting their heads around is that a large part of gender is performative. This probably informs the current right-wing crusade against drag queens, too.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
One thing I've noticed my fellow straights having a hard time getting their heads around is that a large part of gender is performative. This probably informs the current right-wing crusade against drag queens, too.
And evidence is suggesting a decent chunk of it is not performative .

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
One thing I've noticed my fellow straights having a hard time getting their heads around is that a large part of gender is performative
Does this mean that trans-genderism isn't real and is basically just a performance? Men and women aren't real everyone is just roleplaying because....why?

They've done studies that prove that there are distinct behavioral differences between men and woman that have nothing to do with outside influence. Science and society have prove it time and time again.

So you're right, modern day genderism is performative.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
If we're going down this line I feel like I should post a video by an independent journalist who is Trans and let them speak
I don't care what your pet says.

Have fun pretending you can stand each other.

Does this mean that trans-genderism isn't real and is basically just a performance?
No.

Learn what words mean. They're universal, remember.