Hogwarts Legacy - Whimsical Wizardry

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ok, that was just half an hour about how Rowlings associates are horrible. I can totally believe that, but it is not changing my mind about anything. I already knew that Rowling was a bigot and her keeping even worse company it not exactly an eye opener.
I didn't post the video here to tell you to change your mind about Rowling. It was to let you know who she keeps in good company with, and where she's sending her money towards. Like I said before any residuals she makes from either Hogwarts or any other Harry Potter related spin-off property comment she's going to get residuals either way. And those residuals aren't miniscule for Hogwarts. You can bet on that.

Reactions: Gyrobot

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
way. And those residuals aren't miniscule for Hogwarts. You can bet on that.
Yes, because Hogwarts Legacy is a huge hit and sells million of copies. But if i were to contenplate the ramnifications of buying the game or not, i should only consider the impact of the single copy i am buying or not. That is basically "How much of the 44€ including sales tax (wait, it is already 22% off at places ?) is going to organisations i don't like and what can they do with this money"

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yes, because Hogwarts Legacy is a huge hit and sells million of copies.
On that subject, don't forget about digital copies as well.
That is basically "How much of the 44€ including sales tax (wait, it is already 22% off at places ?)
I don't know, but it doesn't matter, because she already made all that money just now and Rowling will get her residuals either way. Like I said before, "minuscule" or not, it's going to her and she's putting it into shady organizations that are out to hurt and kill people. That's the point I'm making. I've already stated this.

Reactions: Gyrobot

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Well, if you decided that it is a matter of principle and you don't care about miniscule or not, that is fine. Don't buy it then.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Firstly, cultural ideas of a third gender, people existing outside the binary, etc have been around for many, many centuries-- often until they were stamped out by Christendom or by colonial force (as in India). Much longer than most traditions.

Secondly, "tradition" doesn't lend legitimacy anyway. Not one iota.
yes but also some of those cultures thought special magic symbols could block bullets.

Secondly actual examinations of many of those traditions tend to be the equivalent of modern Tomboys or Femboys.

Say's who, the complaint police? How are you going to stop them?
People will do whatever they want.
And then vengeance will be swift nasty and just as underhanded and the same people will cry foul when they realise their own actions can be used against them and or those they enjoy.
If people want to fight dirty they have to realise some people will happily step down into the mud to fight back too.
Most of the systems being abused were put in place for protection reasons and being abused.

Reactions: Hawki

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
yes but also some of those cultures thought special magic symbols could block bullets.
So what?

Dreiko was the one who said "tradition" is what's needed to establish a gender. It's perfectly appropriate to respond that non-binary genders have centuries (or more) of tradition, if that's the metric he chooses to use.

If you want to argue "tradition" is not a valid metric, go right ahead-- but you wouldn't be arguing with me. You'd be arguing with Dreiko, who's the one who wanted to use it.

Secondly actual examinations of many of those traditions tend to be the equivalent of modern Tomboys or Femboys.
This is just cultural ignorance, and complete bollocks.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's not stupid when it's true. There are some people that unsubscribe from sterling, because of the pressing content, but I don't exactly bring those ones for doing so. Hell, some unsubscribe just to take a break from it and would come back later.

Talk about being indenial and that selectively oblivious. Don't bother with the pushback, cuz I won't be listening.

DH barely had anything to do with it. Sterling was tired for a time and took a break, but it wasn't that. Not those two green dumbass brothers. Sterling is rightfully angry, but it didn't "break" . They are still fighting good fight. Besides, gaming's not their full-time thing anymore. Sterling has stated this clear a thousand times already. They have the wrestling career. They still have articles on the gym position, and they still have those videos. I'm not expecting them to pump out content 24/7 at this point. I learned that back in 2021. Fine by me. They're doing whatever makes them happy, and I don't blame them.

Last edited:

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
How much money is she getting per sold copy?
It's not easy or simple to say, because most of that money will not come from direct royalties but through the value of the intellectual properties that she owns the rights to. The Harry Potter brand is worth billions of dollars, and although most of that is tied up in the various media licenses owned by Warner Bros a significant proportion is still owned by Rowling.

Then there's the even more intangible value. Rowling is given a lot of license and platform because she is still considered by many to be an important and beloved public figure. By refusing to take any kind of stance against her transphobia, you are essentially buying into and vindicating that perception of her. While she has certainly given a great deal of financial support to transphobes (including literal fascists and Christian fundamentalists) what is likely more significant and yet harder to quantify has been the harm she has done by exploiting her public visibility and reach. By keeping her "legacy" relevant, you are perpetuating her status as a public figure and allowing her to continue to do that.

I'm willing to bet that, despite Rowling herself constantly alleging she is being silenced and persecuted by "trans activists", you do not know the name of any trans person who has actually criticized her. That asymmetry has enormous value.

Also, are we talking about individual consumers purchasing the game, or are we still talking about internet personalities covering it? If the latter, those people aren't buying a single copy of the game, they're doing PR. A single copy of the game is probably worth about 60 dollars. Sponsorships for covering a game on youtube or twitch can be worth thousands of dollars, depending on view count.

If someone were to lose respect for me for buying a video game, i would consider them pretty shallow and not really worth my time.
Okay, let me turn that around.

If you are incapable of the most shallow and insignificant gesture of support or respect when the stakes are essentially whether you get to pay money to play a mediocre video game instead of pirating it a few months down the line when someone cracks the DRM, what are you worth? Why is it in anyone's interest to keep you on side or to pretend to respect your decisions?

Because if you can't do that, what are the chances you're going to do anything that is actually difficult?

Furthermore, I can't do anything about JK Rowling. She's a millionaire, if not a billionaire, and she's so far gone into the black hole of TERFdom that there is no reasoning with her. She's a not-particularly-smart person who ended up in a position of extreme wealth because a good editor fixed most of her bad writing, and has now done what extremely rich people do and convinced herself that she's an authority. You can't reason with that kind of Dunning-Kruger bullshit, even if someone like me would ever be in a position to do so.

If I express an interest in what you do or think, it's because part of me believes (however remotely) that you might be salvageable.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I get sick and dip out of the thread for about a week and suddenly we're at 27 pages...
And hardly a post worth reading. I keep skimming hoping someone will mention the game or at least discuss something HP related, but no.
If someone were to lose respect for me for buying a video game, i would consider them pretty shallow and not really worth my time.
That's pretty much it. I don't really do the whole friend thing, but it would just be exhausting to deal with someone who would make accusations of me based on what video games I buy. I just would not want to deal with a 'friend' who is going to be that manipulative and controlling about what I do.

Like, don't be stupid, it's a major media franchise, of course the money is going to evil rich buggers, doesn't it always? It's also going to a bunch of average people who made the game as well.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
And hardly a post worth reading. I keep skimming hoping someone will mention the game or at least discuss something HP related, but no.
Let me think... Did you know that Fantastic Beasts is based off of a small book written by Rowling that was just an encyclopedia of magical creatures in the Harry Potter universe, written from the perspective of someone from that universe? I really, REALLY wish they had just had the movie series be about going to far away places in the wizarding world so we could see the interesting creatures and learn of what wizards are like in other cultures rather than the lame plot they went with.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Let me think... Did you know that Fantastic Beasts is based off of a small book written by Rowling that was just an encyclopedia of magical creatures in the Harry Potter universe, written from the perspective of someone from that universe? I really, REALLY wish they had just had the movie series be about going to far away places in the wizarding world so we could see the interesting creatures and learn of what wizards are like in other cultures rather than the lame plot they went with.
Yeah, I did. I never read it, though. Or saw the movie. Wait, what was a movie called Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them actually about then, if not that?

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Personally I think any remaining interesting capital with the IP is either in its distant past: stuff about the founders and/or first decade of teaching. Or we go forty or fifty years into the future and see if Harry Potter’s earth hit Shadowrun territory or if they successfully stayed hidden. Maybe at a pinch you can get some fanwank points for doing a boys own adventure series about the Marauders. Maybe.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Yeah, I did. I never read it, though. Or saw the movie. Wait, what was a movie called Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them actually about then, if not that?
*sigh* First movie was more about fantastic creatures and Newt (Which was good) but then they had to make this whole wizard war plot in the second movie and it's all downhill from there.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Also, are we talking about individual consumers purchasing the game, or are we still talking about internet personalities covering it? If the latter, those people aren't buying a single copy of the game, they're doing PR. A single copy of the game is probably worth about 60 dollars. Sponsorships for covering a game on youtube or twitch can be worth thousands of dollars, depending on view count.
That is indeed somewhat more complex. But in cases of reviewers to review games people are interested in is just their job and having proper reviews is a good thing.
In cases in influencers being paid by the publisher to shill the game, those certainly should think twice.
In cases of twitch-streamers playing the game and getting paid via ads and donations, that is just pleasing their audience and fine again.

If you are incapable of the most shallow and insignificant gesture of support or respect when the stakes are essentially whether you get to pay money to play a mediocre video game instead of pirating it a few months down the line when someone cracks the DRM, what are you worth? Why is it in anyone's interest to keep you on side or to pretend to respect your decisions?
Because it is a shallow and insignificant gesture, nothing more. It is worth so little, that dropping relationships for that means that those relationships never were worth anything.
Because if you can't do that, what are the chances you're going to do anything that is actually difficult?
That probably depends on the stakes. As always.
If I express an interest in what you do or think, it's because part of me believes (however remotely) that you might be salvageable.
Do you even realize how condescending that sounds ?

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Dumbledore's Boyfriend Hitler and the Terrible Nazi Analogy would be a good tagline for the series

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
It is absolutely amazing the amount of assholes that are coming out of the woodworks to proudly declare themselves scumbags over this. The number of people saying or agreeing with someone that being doxxed and harassed for playing a damn video-game is deserved, disgusts me.

Game's cancer

Idiots are writing fanfiction to keep people good and keyed up too. Where have we seen this before

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
The number of people saying or agreeing with someone that being doxxed and harassed for playing a damn video-game is deserved, disgusts me.
Name one of those people. Just one. Any one.

That's pretty much it. I don't really do the whole friend thing, but it would just be exhausting to deal with someone who would make accusations of me based on what video games I buy.
Then go live a non-exhausting life.

Make your choice and live with it, but stop expecting forgiveness or toleration from people you clearly have no consideration for. Some of us have bigger problems in our lives than the risk we might be made to feel guilty about playing a video game.

Because it is a shallow and insignificant gesture, nothing more.
For that to be true, there would have to be some hypothetical deep and significant gesture to compare it against, something you might feasibly do that would actually matter, and I think you and I both know, deep down, that there isn't.

You're not going to go to demonstrations and get screamed at by TERFs, you're not going to go through the long, tiring process of writing letters or making formal complaints. You're not going to volunteer your time to support people affected by any of this. Why would you? Not being able to play a mediocre video game for a short time is already too much for you. Those things are a lot harder.

If you think I'm being too soft on you, if you want me to expect more of you, then fine. I will. But until you can demonstrate to me that you have or will do anything of significance, all we're left with are the insignificant things.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
For that to be true, there would have to be some hypothetical deep and significant gesture to compare it against, something you might feasibly do that would actually matter, and I think you and I both know, deep down, that there isn't.
Well, voting would be one thing. All our vocal local TERFs are associated with one particular party. And there are exactly two relevant parties that are anti trans, two relevant parties that are pro trans and two relevant parties that don't take a proper stance. Of course that is not the only or even primary issue i make my decision on. It is something i do keep in mind and it has some influence on my voting.
I have never voted for an anti-trans party or candidate in my life. Admittedly much of this is coincidental. I never voted for the right wing neoliberal pro trans party either.
You're not going to go to demonstrations and get screamed at by TERFs, you're not going to go through the long, tiring process of writing letters or making formal complaints. You're not going to volunteer your time to support people affected by any of this. Why would you? Not being able to play a mediocre video game for a short time is already too much for you. Those things are a lot harder.
True. As far as demonstrations, activism and voluntary work goes, Trans issues are not my first or even second priority. I might do something if it involves people around me or becomes a major issue in our society but otherwise i will prioritize other things when investing my time.
Also what do you mean with "for a short time" ? I am not going to pirate a game. Do you really consider that more moral than buying it ?
If you think I'm being too soft on you, if you want me to expect more of you, then fine.
But i don't want you to. I don't care. If i stumble over a trans related dilemma, i will make a decision about what is the appropriate course of action. And your approval will not be on my mind at all. And i don't expect you to make your decisions about which demonstrations you attend based on trying to please me either.

Last edited:

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Name one of those people. Just one. Any one.

Then go live a non-exhausting life.

Make your choice and live with it, but stop expecting forgiveness or toleration from people you clearly have no consideration for. Some of us have bigger problems in our lives than the risk we might be made to feel guilty about playing a video game.

If you think I'm being too soft on you, if you want me to expect more of you, then fine. I will. But until you can demonstrate to me that you have or will do anything of significance, all we're left with are the insignificant things.
Sure! Just need to get home from work.