General Gaming News.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I can't disagree with the video more. First off, as a musician myself (to a degree), if you played a boss theme from any Souls game I would not be able to tell you what boss or what game it's from. While Souls boss music is great, in the end it comes off as just a high tension operatic theme designed to bring about anxiety in the player while battling, and that's really about it.
Again,
LECKMICH1 month ago
The most infuriating design change is what they did to the music. Every song in the remake sounds the same, its all bombastic quire music. Just compare the fools idol music. The original is a somber piano track that often doubles in speed, mirroring the way the fools idol itself creates copies of herself. What does the remake do? Generic bombastic music that vaguely sounds like the original without the speed change. They just dont get it.

As for the atmospheric changes and visual changes. Souls games have always been driven by interpretation by the player. A lot of the "little" details are abstract and there really isn't any proof that the level design or any of that shit is intentional. The human brain is really good at making connections with things where there aren't any. And this is boosted by the vagueness of the Souls games in nearly every aspect, which does a fantastic job of letting your mind run wild.
Again (unless the Monk’s robes are actually red in the remake for some reason),
Embargo Venom2 months ago
One part of the environmental storytelling and lore I like to point out is also in Latria. In the original, the level has these yellow flags, or straps of cloth, spread throughout the level. This obviously, OBVIOUSLY references the Old Monk's takeover and corruption of the area, which the player only realizes later when they meet the boss and see his famously yellow robes, the source of his power. No Blue Point saw these bits of foreshadowing, figured yellow wasn't scary enough or something, and made all the flags red. RED

How do you even miss the point this bad?

What that means is that when you visually upgrade an old game like Demon's Souls, those same vague details change simply by nature of increased detail. Much like what will happen with the Silent Hill Remake. Simply by updating the graphics the game will fundamentally "feel" different and there wont be anything you can do about it as a development team. This comes with the territory. That being said....come on. The Remake plays better, looks better, runs better, feels better to play in every way. All his problems basically fall into unavoidable graphics details that change with upscaling and you can't avoid that, take the Vanguard Demon he complains basically that the color has changed and there is too much detail in the new model. But the original Vanguard Demons look like ass, because they are untextured character models. His complaints about the Fool's Idol can be waved away by her magic brainwashing the prisoners into seeing whatever they want. A lot of detail had to be added to the character models form the ps3 game because a lot of the models wheren't even textured, there was NO detail, and you can't do a game like that anymore.

Not gonna say it's a perfect Remake (but it's close). With a Remake there will always be sacrifices that have to be made in order to update the game, and you can only get so close.

And I would have been on board if any of his arguments when gameplay related. Items not working the same, enemies not behaving the same, you things that actually affect the game's core. But it was all just a artistic opinions, which....okay fair enough, but a lot of it was also unreasonable.
Changing artistic details isn’t an “unavoidable” thing, especially when technology has gotten so good that virtually anything can be reproduced at much higher qualities. It just means they at the very least overlooked a few things, and at worst didn’t think they bear any significance, which people have pointed out isn’t the case. Hidden themes are a huge part of these games’ appeal. Removing or altering them means they lose part of their soul (yes pun).

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Oh wow I'm so surprised.

And stay dead, you worthless corporate hype vomitorium.
I appreciate you both.

I was not expecting this, nor do I have a problem. I'll see if my big bro has this game. We'll do a couple rounds later.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I appreciate you both.
Aww. :)

I was honestly expecting Netflix to snap up Stadia's technology- until Google was all like "naw, bruh, we flushed that down the toilet along with the dead goldfish".

Someone's gonna whine about this, mark my words.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Regardless of why, whether because it's "offensive" or because of typical alt-right/anti-woke & SJW/KKK/Neo-Nazi scumbags, any and all of them can fuck off. You can't deny history, nor the sacrifices and struggles each of the Negro Players had to make and endure.

Reactions: The Rogue Wolf

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Wait that hasn't been a thing yet? I would have thought they would have put those people into the games a long time ago. The same way modern NBA games have MAgic Johnson and uh.....other probably famous old players in those games. Or WWE games that put in Macho Man and old fucks long retired.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Regardless of why, whether because it's "offensive" or because of typical alt-right/anti-woke & SJW/KKK/Neo-Nazi scumbags, any and all of them can fuck off. You can't deny history, nor the sacrifices and struggles each of the Negro Players had to make and endure.
They faced challenges that I doubt I'd ever have the fortitude to manage, but apparently I'm supposed to be offended because "they want me to think that white people are bad".

Wait that hasn't been a thing yet? I would have thought they would have put those people into the games a long time ago. The same way modern NBA games have MAgic Johnson and uh.....other probably famous old players in those games. Or WWE games that put in Macho Man and old fucks long retired.
The thing is that the Negro League was a direct product of institutionalized racism, which some people want to pretend never existed. It is stupid that this is only the first real notable effort to recognize the players, definitely.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Isn't it kinda late to cancel it? Some smaller company might have made plan fro it and it might be hard to cancel on such short notice and they might have to eat some cost because of that.

Could have had one last one, showcase some small indie gamer like the big show announcement.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Isn't it kinda late to cancel it? Some smaller company might have made plan fro it and it might be hard to cancel on such short notice and they might have to eat some cost because of that.

Could have had one last one, showcase some small indie gamer like the big show announcement.
The GDC is pretty much for the smaller guys & gals, or those that are more serious about doing something new for gaming and innovation.

Reactions: meiam

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
We’d have to go back to the days of Black Fives, before the NBA was racially integrated. I haven’t followed sports games in so long, but it wouldn’t surprise me if these historically significant teams and/or players have never been featured in a game yet.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
I guess nothing really lasts forever. It was inevitable.

I feel like ESA certainly tried to take E3 to new directions, but it just wasn’t the right way and instead of correcting the course, they doubled down.

At some point, I feel like E3 became more about showboating rather than games. I mean I remember seeing new games one after another, to guest appearances, performances, and hilariously bad skits.

Maybe SGF will become a spiritual successor, but I don’t have too much hopes on that since it’s hosted by Amazon. Keighley can’t take control forever, and what then?

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I can't disagree with the video more. First off, as a musician myself (to a degree), if you played a boss theme from any Souls game I would not be able to tell you what boss or what game it's from. While Souls boss music is great, in the end it comes off as just a high tension operatic theme designed to bring about anxiety in the player while battling, and that's really about it.

As for the atmospheric changes and visual changes. Souls games have always been driven by interpretation by the player. A lot of the "little" details are abstract and there really isn't any proof that the level design or any of that shit is intentional. The human brain is really good at making connections with things where there aren't any. And this is boosted by the vagueness of the Souls games in nearly every aspect, which does a fantastic job of letting your mind run wild.

What that means is that when you visually upgrade an old game like Demon's Souls, those same vague details change simply by nature of increased detail. Much like what will happen with the Silent Hill Remake. Simply by updating the graphics the game will fundamentally "feel" different and there wont be anything you can do about it as a development team. This comes with the territory. That being said....come on. The Remake plays better, looks better, runs better, feels better to play in every way. All his problems basically fall into unavoidable graphics details that change with upscaling and you can't avoid that, take the Vanguard Demon he complains basically that the color has changed and there is too much detail in the new model. But the original Vanguard Demons look like ass, because they are untextured character models. His complaints about the Fool's Idol can be waved away by her magic brainwashing the prisoners into seeing whatever they want. A lot of detail had to be added to the character models form the ps3 game because a lot of the models wheren't even textured, there was NO detail, and you can't do a game like that anymore.

Not gonna say it's a perfect Remake (but it's close). With a Remake there will always be sacrifices that have to be made in order to update the game, and you can only get so close.

And I would have been on board if any of his arguments when gameplay related. Items not working the same, enemies not behaving the same, you things that actually affect the game's core. But it was all just a artistic opinions, which....okay fair enough, but a lot of it was also unreasonable.
That's fair. I'm reminded of Final Fantasy 6 and how Tera is supposed to be blonde but they changed her hair to be green to give her contrast with Celes who is also blonde. Playing the game without knowing that, it lead to a lot of people seeing her unusual hair color as just another thing that denotes her unusual lineage as a half esper.

Reactions: Dalisclock

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
That's fair. I'm reminded of Final Fantasy 6 and how Tera is supposed to be blonde but they changed her hair to be green to give her contrast with Celes who is also blonde. Playing the game without knowing that, it lead to a lot of people seeing her unusual hair color as just another thing that denotes her unusual lineage as a half esper.
I also don't think it's worth taking something so seriously that a color change is going to fall into a major complaint for you. If they made Tifa a redhead I wouldn't really care.

As much as the flags of the old Monk might have lore implications, the loss of that environmental touch is just not a disaster. It's just a bias for an original thing that you have an attachment to for nostalgic reasons. These complaints are entirely only applicable to hardcore lore fans of the souls games. Not even hardcore players, it only applies SPECFICIALLY to those who dug deep into the lore, because I guarantee that everyone else didn't notice or care about any of these changes.

That being said, fair enough to prefer the original world you got engrossed in. But the changes don't make the remake an inferior product either.

Reactions: Dalisclock