What have you purchased recently?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Forza Horizon 4 on steam sale. Its really cool but there is this crashing that seems to happen with nvidia graphics cards, so I might be returning it. Which sucks since it is really cool and the first somewhat "realistic" racing game I have gotten into.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
It was this little puppy here. Not very powerful, but like I said, it'll be primarily for YouTube watching. And it's upgradable if I need it to do harder work.
I got basically the same model but with a ryzen 5 and 256GB SSD. The only semi-issue with it is the APU's GPU uses 2 of your 8GBs of RAM so you have in reality 6GBs of RAM. I forget if there's a RAM slot to add more or not. The laptop is overall decently powerful, especially for the price, and can play games from the PS3/360 era.

With regards to Windows 11, you can run the following superlite version.

Reactions: Gordon_4

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
  • Two pairs of jeans.
  • Bayonetta Origins I picked up on Friday, having already paid it off already.
  • Hong Kong Massacre (Switch). Got it on sale for $1.99. There's two more days left for the sale, if anyone is interested.
  • A barbecue pulled pork sandwich from Nikola's.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
This keycap set for my keyboard. It's ok, a "clone" keycap set from China so quality is not as good as what you'd find in the original manufacturers. But for general typing it seems to be alright. Not sure if the keycap profile (cherry) is selling me though, but finding keycaps in the profiles I like has been brutal

SCR-20230320-rglu.png

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
This keycap set for my keyboard. It's ok, a "clone" keycap set from China so quality is not as good as what you'd find in the original manufacturers. But for general typing it seems to be alright. Not sure if the keycap profile (cherry) is selling me though, but finding keycaps in the profiles I like has been brutal
Is that a knockoff "Olivia" keycap set?

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
It is, yup! A whole set plus a bunch of extra keys for different profiles for 50 CAD all in. Not too bad considering they're half decent quality for a clone set
50 seems a bit steep for a clone set. Are they at least PBT rather than ABS?

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
50 seems a bit steep for a clone set. Are they at least PBT rather than ABS?
Yup! I'd never willingly buy an ABS set.
And believe me, $50 was reasonable compared to what I could find out there, especially in Canadian fun bucks. Super cheap basic sets with mixed reviews and likely even more mixed quality? $30-40 or so. Decent quality and a step up? $70-80. Actually really nice quality from a good keycap manufacturer in the custom keyboard space? $100-120 or above. Considering these clones are as good as they are, $50 was more than fair I think.
Honestly... this custom keyboard stuff is ridiculous with what some of it charges. But that's what happens when you have a market built around cheap Chinese crap and actually carefully made stuff from people who want to make something nice... you don't really get a very healthy middle ground in terms of budget

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
But that's what happens when you have a market built around cheap Chinese crap and actually carefully made stuff from people who want to make something nice... you don't really get a very healthy middle ground in terms of budget
That's what you get in any relatively small customisation/modding/DIY scene - cheap mass produced shit or the really good, expensive stuff made by whatever professionals take an interest in the scene. If your scene is really tiny, sometimes you don't even have the option of the cheap shit.

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
That's what you get in any relatively small customisation/modding/DIY scene - cheap mass produced shit or the really good, expensive stuff made by whatever professionals take an interest in the scene. If your scene is really tiny, sometimes you don't even have the option of the cheap shit.
Yup... It's a shame too cause these custom boards I've made have given me the best typing experience I've ever had. It's just a total pain in the ass to get there. Hell, the only reason why I got the keycaps I just bought is cause I couldn't find a keycap profile I like at a reasonable price (or even at all if I wanted anything half decent quality) so I'm trying to see if I like any alternative options. Not sure if it's a hobby I plan on sticking around with

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
That sucks, because the game was rock-solid on my AMD cards.
I ended up returning it and getting Horizon 5. Its good and plays/looks great, but I think from the little I played of 4, I liked that one a bit better.

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Just remember, if you want to get really hardcore into it, desktop laser cutters, 3D resin printers and desktop injection molding machines are a thing now.
Ehhhh... Neat stuff for sure, but the fun in making these keyboards left me awhile back. But maybe I'll keep that stuff in mind just in case

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Yup... It's a shame too cause these custom boards I've made have given me the best typing experience I've ever had. It's just a total pain in the ass to get there. Hell, the only reason why I got the keycaps I just bought is cause I couldn't find a keycap profile I like at a reasonable price (or even at all if I wanted anything half decent quality) so I'm trying to see if I like any alternative options. Not sure if it's a hobby I plan on sticking around with
Yup, having a custom keyboard turned me into a keyboard snob overnight.

The company I work for supplies us some pretty nice keyboards (as far as office supplies go). I have a logitech G413 SE at the office, which I would have said is a pretty great keyboard, but ever since I put together my Keychron Q1 V2 the logitech just kind of feels like shit in comparison. My fingers actually get more tired typing when I'm working out of the office. It feels weird.

Just remember, if you want to get really hardcore into it, desktop laser cutters, 3D resin printers and desktop injection molding machines are a thing now.
Speaking of which, I bought calipers the other day because I needed to measure my headset really precisely to 3D print an attachment for it. It's the first time I've had to be accurate to within more than a millimeter for tolerances when 3D printing, so before now a measuring tape had always been "good enough." I was actually kind of shocked to how perfect the piece came out. It attached snugly enough to be a press fit.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Flea market. Original edition of You Only Live Twice. Not the best Bond, but an odd, interesting one. Also a very nice cover. That one :

A tad more damaged though (the editor's logo at the bottom was torn off). Too bad.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
A new control panel for our sprinkler system. I swear, the first person who thought "you know what'd be cool? To own the building you live in and all the upkeep that comes with it" was completely out of their mind. It went from an $85 service fee to nearly $1,000 to replace the panel and repair a few damaged sprinkler heads. And that's after I talked him down from replacing MORE heads for nearly $2,000 because he felt the ones we've had forever were too short (they cover the lawn just fine, and I wasn't about to add another $800 because HE thought we should; I hate upselling.)

Equity schmequity, I'd be perfectly happy renting until my dying day if every odd noise, leaky pipe, or malfunctioning doodad didn't turn into a fucking hundreds of dollars bill and my scheduling time to have strangers walk though and around my house inevitably to tell me my small problem is a big one.