What have you purchased recently?

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
24 pack of Monster. I HAVE THE FUEL TO POWER MY DREAMS.

(I also filled the car with diesel, so I can power the car's dreams too.)

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I paid way too much for a 3080 last year, so I'm just moving that over. The CPU is a Ryzen 7 7800x3d, it sounds like its the best cpu for gaming on the market now and not badly priced if you can avoid scalpers, its a brand new chip so it sells out fast, but comes back in stock fast too. Also getting 32 gigs of ddr 5 ram, which is overkill since 16 gigs is still really all you need but.. ehh, overkill is fine.
32GB was overkill, but I think its gonna be the new baseline soon so may as well get in while the getting is good. And the X3D series chips are probably what I'd upgrade to if I had to, but so far my 3900XT hasn't been found wanting for any gaming application. And with 12 cores the occasional other application like ripping and encoding DVDs has been just fine too.

Still, sounds like you've got a mighty stallion of a PC there, so enjoy it :)

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
12 oz of beer (Leinenkugel) for... $13.50. I'd wrangled free nosebleed seats to see Toto and Journey, and decided that since the tickets had been free... I'd buy a beer at stadium prices. If you add the $10 I shelled out to park, I still paid more to go than the tickets were actually worth.

Still, sat next to some old friends I hadn't seen in a while. Toto was good. And you are in a stadium full of people who chose to go to a Journey concert, so no one is too embarrassed to sing along with a Journey song. It got loud in there, and it wasn't all the show. And they didn't wrap the show with Separate Ways so I was able to beat the traffic.

Reactions: gorfias

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
32GB was overkill, but I think its gonna be the new baseline soon so may as well get in while the getting is good. And the X3D series chips are probably what I'd upgrade to if I had to, but so far my 3900XT hasn't been found wanting for any gaming application. And with 12 cores the occasional other application like ripping and encoding DVDs has been just fine too.

Still, sounds like you've got a mighty stallion of a PC there, so enjoy it :)
I think 16 gigs is going to be the standard for awhile yet. Even the new cod games only have 12 gigs as recommended specs. I don't know of any game that wants at least 16 gigs.

If it wasn't for Linus I would probably be doing either an i9 or the 7950x3d, just from the tech specs. The 7800x3d only has 8 cores and both the other chips have 16 and come out twice as high on the cpu passmark rankings. It's really hard not to buy for specs since I have the cash.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
An optical audio cable.
Because why in the ever loving fuck would a TV have a phono audio out these days? I mean, it's only been the standard since the 19 fucking 30s. But anyway, it's arrived I've spent a couple of hours setting up my amp and speakers, moving stuff around, having an aneurysm etc, but now I can finally put the sound through a decent amplifier and speakers rather than shitty TV speakers.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I was soooo close to finally allowing my Games for Gold to lapse when I played, maybe for the 2nd time ever, Forza 6. I beat a couple of races, leveled up and it gives you a free chance at a prize. What the heck, I go for it and win top prize of a million credits (1st car purchase options are about 50,000... so, 20 cars.)

Fine. Just reupped Gold for another year, $59.99. I know sales come around but they seem scarce these days next to PS+, which I just upped for another year for only $40. But, did it while it was on top of my agenda.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
A new computer case. The one I got was much smaller then expected and doing any kinda cable management or adding a drive after the fact would have been a huge pain in the ass.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Gamestop has a sale: $50 for fresh Windows 11 installs on up to three supported devices. Simultaneous? Dunno. Sent support a question on this.

Must be used in 30 days!!! OK. Fire up my butt to do my next build w/i 30 days rather than Q1 of 2024 if I want to use this thing. I do have a few other evil plans that might work as I'd really rather wait.

I am thinking of using a license on a Steam Deck just to get the code activated. That could be a pain if I can't do 3 devices simultaneously (will I have to activate/unactivate every time I move from Deck to my new PC?). And I don't think I need to activate it when booting from the SD card.

To use on Steam Deck, with or without activation, I just got 2 of these:

1681999928857.png

This in theory is doable.

A new computer case. The one I got was much smaller then expected and doing any kinda cable management or adding a drive after the fact would have been a huge pain in the ass.
What did you get? I'm looking at a Lian Li Lancool II MESH Type C RGB Tempered Glass ATX Mid-Tower Computer Case myself.
1682000781599.png

Mid size tower for an ATX, plenty of room for a power supply and graphics card.

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
What did you get? I'm looking at a Lian Li Lancool II MESH Type C RGB Tempered Glass ATX Mid-Tower Computer Case myself.
1682000781599.png

Mid size tower for an ATX, plenty of room for a power supply and graphics card.
I got an Antec DF800. I wanted a case with more then 2 front side usb ports but I got tired of looking on amazon since it a pain in the ass to navigate, so I'll just have 2 usb ports front side, but at least it will arrive soon.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I got an Antec DF800. I wanted a case with more then 2 front side usb ports but I got tired of looking on amazon since it a pain in the ass to navigate, so I'll just have 2 usb ports front side, but at least it will arrive soon.
OK to hook a USB hub up front?
Looks to have a lot of room for your 3080, a good sized power supply and height for a CPU cooler.
Not seen fans mounted at the bottom like that before. Very nice!

EDIT: There is a hole in my desktop thru which to snake wires, so my USB hub is plugged into the rear of my current rig.
1682008887601.png

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
OK to hook a USB hub up front?
Looks to have a lot of room for your 3080, a good sized power supply and height for a CPU cooler.
Not seen fans mounted at the bottom like that before. Very nice!

EDIT: There is a hole in my desktop thru which to snake wires, so my USB hub is plugged into the rear of my current rig.
View attachment 8574
I didn't even notice the fan on the bottom, could be handy, but it would be blowing hot air over my psu and drives, for what that might mean. Oh well, if I don't like it, Ill just remove it. I tend to keep my tower on my desk and I like it to be clean, if I really want one I'll grab a hub, but since the mobo I got has bluetooth, I probably won't need the usb xbox controller thing and I can just plug my dongle into the rear for the wireless mouse I occasionally use. Should be fine.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
An optical audio cable.
Because why in the ever loving fuck would a TV have a phono audio out these days? I mean, it's only been the standard since the 19 fucking 30s. But anyway, it's arrived I've spent a couple of hours setting up my amp and speakers, moving stuff around, having an aneurysm etc, but now I can finally put the sound through a decent amplifier and speakers rather than shitty TV speakers.
I get the frustration, but in the 30 odd years I have cognitive memory of televisions I've never seen a 3.5mm audio jack on any of them. I've seen RF, SCART, RCA, Optical, and now HDMI, but I don't recall ever seeing 3.5inch.

Still, glad you got your speaker set up and running; there's lots of effort involved but the end result tends to be pretty awesome.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
I get the frustration, but in the 30 odd years I have cognitive memory of televisions I've never seen a 3.5mm audio jack on any of them. I've seen RF, SCART, RCA, Optical, and now HDMI, but I don't recall ever seeing 3.5inch.

Still, glad you got your speaker set up and running; there's lots of effort involved but the end result tends to be pretty awesome.
I don't think we're talking about the same thing, I mean RCA phonos. They're the stereo phono cables that have 2 wires and usually a white and a red plug each end.

Yeah, seeing as my computer is in another room and my decks take up too much space put out, YouTube is the main music source downstairs and it sounds pretty crappy through TV speakers.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I don't think we're talking about the same thing, I mean RCA phonos. They're the stereo phono cables that have 2 wires and usually a white and a red plug each end.

Yeah, seeing as my computer is in another room and my decks take up too much space put out, YouTube is the main music source downstairs and it sounds pretty crappy through TV speakers.
Okay I see where I went wrong: I read phono as phone and the only audio output I’d ever seen on a phone was 3.5mm.