Funny events in anti-woke world

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
I've seen a similar title on The Guardian ("The gun enthusiast who leaked the files" or something like that) and I didn't really like it. It implies a causality, without declaring it. It's usually done with any "bad trait" in the views of the random author ("the jew who", "the police also found videogames in his appartment", "he was known to listen to rock'n'roll") and unless a causal link is really explicited and explained, I find this a bit backhanded and manipulative. And, as such, rhetorically conservative.

And I don't have any particular tenderness for gun nuts, especially in the US context (as discussed elsewhere, people who are very much into a martial hobby tend too often to hope for "nails" justifying their "hammer" expertise). But I don't think it plays a role there. It feels more like an opportunistic "hah, these degenerates, I knew they were up to no good" aside.

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Mm. Dee-light-ful chap, I'm sure.

The motive, however, seems to have been impressing his mates. There's a lot of explaining to be done why a new recruit, especially one so seemingly immature, had access to those sorts of documents and how he was able to get so many of them past security.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Despite the overt racism apparent in the “Thug Shaker Central” Discord, an anonymous member told the Post that that community was not “a fascist recruiting server.”
Not a fascist recruiting server, my ass! 😡. Who the hell is that part of discord trying to even fool? You were all just praising him for a spouting racist, anti-Muslim, and anti-Semitic speeches during his gun videos. That is a form of fascism, racism, indiscrimination against different religious practices. Fuck 📴!

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Next...

So, the horror that is the UK Home Office. It seems this department most exists to be helmed by dubiously competent tyrants. The current incumbent is Suella Braverman, darling of the Tory right wing. However, Suella unfortunately can't seem to let a week go by without embarrassing herself and her office.

In early April, Braverman launched an attack on Britons of Pakistani heritage for being the main culpritsrunning child sex abuse gangs, pumping good old Tory Islamophobia. (Contextually, given her Hindu background and potential hostility between Pakistani/Muslim and Indian/Sikh/Hindu communities, this is doubly incendiary.) It was most remarkable for a number of reasons, not least the facts from her own department don't agree, and in one of the most delicious instances of timing to underscore that disagreement, just a few days later:

This week, the police entered a pub and removed the golliwogs that the landlady had on display following a complaint from the public. (Seriously, what sort of person puts up golliwogs in their pub?) Braverman complained about this police action. It has since emerged that the landylady's husband has been photoed in a "Britain First" (a racist far right political group) t-shirt, and had put up socal media posts of golliwogs joking about lynching. Good to know who Suella is on the side of!

Let's remember that Suella was fired as Home Secretary by short-lived PM Liz Truss for breaching the Ministerial Code by misusing government resources (never mind that she also publicly undermined Truss). She was reinstated by Rish! upon his accession because she carried a lot of MP votes to ensure he won the leadership content, and has since gone on to merit being sacked several times afterwards, except remains protected by that mystifyingly high support within the parliamentary party. This is, after all, a woman whose "dream" is to send UK asylum seekers for detention in Rwanda (seriously!), rather than, mm, I dunno, ensure that people can get their passports on time, leave Dover without a 14 hour delay, or ensure that there's sufficient policing to properly investgate rapes.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
As former US military, I can tell you that everyone in the US military is going to be absolutely "thrilled" to do 6+ hours of Information Security PowerPoint Training(before getting back to their normal work) in the Near Future as a result of this debacle.

"DO NOT PUT CLASSIFIED MATERIAL ON WARTHUNDER FORUMS! No matter how much you want to win that argument about the F-16"

"What about Minecraft forums?"

"NOT THOSE EITHER!"

Last edited:

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
As former US military, I can tell you that everyone in the US military is going to be absolutely "thrilled" to do 6+ hours of Information Security PowerPoint Training(before getting back to their normal work) in the Near Future as a result of this debacle.

"DO NOT PUT CLASSIFIED MATERIAL ON WARFTHUNDER FORUMS! No matter how much you want to win that argument about the F-16"

"What about Minecraft forums?"

"NOT THOSE EITHER!"
New entries for Skippy's List?

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Reactions: BrawlMan and Absent

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Related to my annoyance to the far right trying to claim Mario is bemusement about how they so smugly shout that Disney is humiliated, humbled or panicked by its success. Like....do they think its a gigantic shock that a properly made Mario movie made by a reliable bankable studio was a success? And does any success of a non Disney related movie means an instant collapse for the house of mouse? Why exactly would a Mario movie tell us anything about Disney?

Secondly is how reviewers are out ''to get'' Mario and are supposedly ''seething'' at its success. Firstly even the glowing fan reviews of the Mario movie point out that the movie doesn't take any risks, is overall very safe in everything it does and is also kinda rushed. Why is it suspicious that a reviewer with no inherent interest in Mario would rank such a movie as ''mediocre'' instead of a genre defining masterpiece? And does the far right assume reviewers are actually surprised that a Mario movie made good money and was well liked by Mario fans?

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
This week, the police entered a pub and removed the golliwogs that the landlady had on display following a complaint from the public. (Seriously, what sort of person puts up golliwogs in their pub?) Braverman complained about this police action. It has since emerged that the landylady's husband has been photoed in a "Britain First" (a racist far right political group) t-shirt, and had put up socal media posts of golliwogs joking about lynching. Good to know who Suella is on the side of!
My local post office used to sell golliwog merchandise until it closed down (so within the last ten years). It really sped up my rejection of sending birthday presents.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Related to my annoyance to the far right trying to claim Mario is bemusement about how they so smugly shout that Disney is humiliated, humbled or panicked by its success. Like....do they think its a gigantic shock that a properly made Mario movie made by a reliable bankable studio was a success? And does any success of a non Disney related movie means an instant collapse for the house of mouse? Why exactly would a Mario movie tell us anything about Disney?

Secondly is how reviewers are out ''to get'' Mario and are supposedly ''seething'' at its success. Firstly even the glowing fan reviews of the Mario movie point out that the movie doesn't take any risks, is overall very safe in everything it does and is also kinda rushed. Why is it suspicious that a reviewer with no inherent interest in Mario would rank such a movie as ''mediocre'' instead of a genre defining masterpiece? And does the far right assume reviewers are actually surprised that a Mario movie made good money and was well liked by Mario fans?
Not that I follow this but I wonder if they're comparing it to the OG Mario movie from that 90's and somehow claiming vindication because of that somehow. Which is dumb because the OG Mario movie was a trainwreck on almost every level and it's no wonder it crashed like it did knowing that. This movie played it safe because that's all it had to do and it appears to have worked out.

I honestly don't want to dive into the Far Right Headspace any more then I absolutely have to. I used to hang out there in the early 2000's and the crazy I saw festering after 9/11 quickly made me back the fuck out of there for good and they've only gotten more insane and extreme since then. Same deal with fudementalist Christian circles, which generally overlaps.

Last edited:

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
I honestly don't want to dive into the Far Right Headspace any more then I absolutely have to. I used to hang out there in the early 2000's and the crazy I saw festering after 9/11 quickly made me back the fuck out of there for good and they've only gotten more insane and extreme since then. Same deal with fudementalist Christian circles, which generally overlaps.
All you really need to know is that everything is a competition to these fools. And if you're not winning, you're losing. It's a major reason why they're so miserable all the time.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
If anything, their kid's stuff is even more demented than their regular programming.

Like, in their time-traveling kids show they accept Columbus's Pro-Slavery argument: "but it's better to be a slave than to be dead, no?"
It's hilarious they use the phrase "Better a slave then dead" considering that so many right wingers arm themselves to the teeth because "They'd rather be dead then a slave".

Oh wait, we're talking about the natives here. The Heathen Natives.

And of course, the hilarity of "How Dare you come from the Future to Judge me by your standards" less then a minute after "We have bad shit in Europe, but nothing like Cannibalism and Human Sacrifice". Oh, Columbus, when you say bad stuff, you mean the rampant anti-Semitism and suppression of religious minorities and also SLAVERY, RIGHT? Having an ongoing continental religious schism over an attempt to reform the catholic church's(which is one of the largest powers in Europe) known corruption issues? How about that time Crusaders toppled the largest Christian empire in the East over a stupid debt fight? The genocide upon the initial capture of Jerusalem? THOSE BAD THINGS? Take the plank out thy fucking eye, ye dipshit, before talking about the speck in someone elses.

AKA it's bad to judge 15th century Christian Europeans for slavery and destruction of native cultures but it's okay to judge 15th century Pagan Native Americans for Cannibalism and Human Sacrifice. The Double Standard is fucking amazing there though not suprising.

Last edited:

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
They can only feel comfortable in a world that they utterly control, that worships the ground they walk on and acknowledges their "superiority". Any kind of uncertainty terrifies them, and they lash out. For all that they play at being "rough and ready" and "tougher than those snowflake liberals", fear is their first reaction to change.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
France's Constitutional Council approved Macron's reform, against the will of the overwhelming majority of the population. Which is distressing on many levels. The lack of democracy, the shift towards less social systems, and the probable victory of the extreme-right in the next elections.

But above all I'm devastated because of the high hopes that some immensely beloved people had until today. They participate to the protest march today, and they just feel gutted, and I feel gutted for them. I didn't share their hopes and I was honest about it, but I didn't want to kill their enthusiasm and combativity either. But their disappointment hits me as if it was mine. Just because, well, because they're them.

Oh wait. That wasn't a funny event. Not the ideal thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Once again, they are idiotic, parasitic leeches, that will jump on anything to feels superior or act as if they won something. When in reality, they didn't win jack shit, or lost worse. While Mario was a safe bet, they still did some interesting things with it you wouldn't expect in a Mario movie, but done to good measure. Bowser singing about Peach was freaking hilarious, and I did not see that coming!

Reactions: Dalisclock

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
It's hilarious they use the phrase "Better a slave then dead" considering that so many right wingers arm themselves to the teeth because "They'd rather be dead then a slave".

Oh wait, we're talking about the natives here. The Heathen Natives.

And of course, the hilarity of "How Dare you come from the Future to Judge me by your standards" less then a minute after "We have bad shit in Europe, but nothing like Cannibalism and Human Sacrifice". Oh, Columbus, when you say bad stuff, you mean the rampant anti-Semitism and suppression of religious minorities and also SLAVERY, RIGHT? Having an ongoing continental religious schism over an attempt to reform the catholic church's(which is one of the largest powers in Europe) known corruption issues? How about that time Crusaders toppled the largest Christian empire in the East over a stupid debt fight? The genocide upon the initial capture of Jerusalem? THOSE BAD THINGS? Take the plank out thy fucking eye, ye dipshit, before talking about the speck in someone elses.

AKA it's bad to judge 15th century Christian Europeans for slavery and destruction of native cultures but it's okay to judge 15th century Pagan Native Americans for Cannibalism and Human Sacrifice. The Double Standard is fucking amazing there though not suprising.
Not to mention, like, making a holiday for the guy is *also* a judgment. Cherry on top is that PragerU, like most conservatives, pretend to believe in Objective Morality. You know, the thought that if something is bad, it's always bad regardless of excuses? Except slavery by genocidal colonizers, apparently

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Not to mention, like, making a holiday for the guy is *also* a judgment. Cherry on top is that PragerU, like most conservatives, pretend to believe in Objective Morality. You know, the thought that if something is bad, it's always bad regardless of excuses? Except slavery my genocidal colonizers, apparently
Yeah, I've noticed how one way to get people who believe in "Objective Morality" to tie themselves up in knots is bring up Slavery, especially in conjunction with the bible and just watch them find ways to explain it in a way that Morality is objective but God is always right so thus it's okay when God does it or some such bullshit.

Also Genocide, especially in the context of the bible.

TO a lesser extent, Homosexuality is wrong but it's okay to eat pork, wear poly cotton blends, shit on immigrants and amass vast amounts of money at the expense as others because <Insert several pages of bible verses and call it an argument>.

I've been on a theology kick for the past month or so and slummed on the r/Christianity subreddit(that place is "Special") among other things and yeah, while I've gained a better appreciation for just how diverse Christian views are different topics(of doctrine and otherwise), my decision to Apostatize a decade ago remains as firm now as it did then.

And not just because it's amusing to pull out the "Apostate" card when fundies try to preach to me and point out "I know your beliefs. I used to believe them. I find them lacking and sometimes repellant".

Last edited:

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
My local post office used to sell golliwog merchandise until it closed down (so within the last ten years). It really sped up my rejection of sending birthday presents.
In Ireland we had an ice cream called the golly bar. It's mascot was a golliwog. Rebranded in the 90's. Apparently 92 according to Wikipedia but I call bullshit because I remember them and I would have been 2.