Game Articles and Videos Thread

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
It's from last year but I thought I'd share this video on Connor Kenway from Assassin's Creed.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Woah, this is how out of touch I am. I didn't know brawlers had RPG stats now. I thought they were still pure skill games, like, well, MK1 and 2 and SF1 and 2...

I knew they had had sequels though. 🥺

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Woah, this is how out of touch I am. I didn't know brawlers had RPG stats now.
The term you looking for is either one-on-one fighters or tournament fighters. Brawlers are games like Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Viewtiful Joe, etc. Besides, brawlers have been having RPG elements since the early 90s. There's Knights Of The Round by Capcom. A much more famous example would be Treasure's Guardian Heroes released on the Sega Saturn, and re-released on XBLA.

Really, not that many fighting games have RPG elements, but MK is known for having done it the worst. Street Fighter 6 is getting a Yakuza/Shenmue style single player campaign to increase replay value. It's actually something Midway started back in the mid-2000s with Mortal Kombat Deception, and so far Mortal Kombat is the only one that perfect this.

I am surprised you didn't know about RPG elements in brawlers or fighting games. How out of the loop were you? Are we talking like the PS1 or PS2 days?

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
How out of the loop were you? Are we talking like the PS1 or PS2 days?
Amiga ! Haven't touched a brawler since. Or hardly.

And the Amiga versions were notoriously awful compared to their console/coinup counterpart. But I had no mean to compare, so it didn't strike me. I loved the (supposedly lame) version of Double Dragon I was playing. Heck, I even enjoyed Body Blows.

I did check some MAME emulations. But the thing is, I'm a mouse/keyboard player. So, once I didn't have access to my amiga joysticks anymore, the brawler genre was a bit dead for me.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Amiga ! Haven't touched a brawler since. Or hardly.
Wow! That far?!

And the Amiga versions were notoriously awful compared to their console/coinup counterpart. But I had no mean to compare, so it didn't strike me. I loved the (supposedly lame) version of Double Dragon I was playing. Heck, I even enjoyed Body Blows.
I learned about that around the early 2000s. I didn't even know what the Amiga was until the internet. I grew up on Sega, Nintendo, Sony, & the Arcades.

But the thing is, I'm a mouse/keyboard player. So, once I didn't have access to my amiga joysticks anymore, the brawler genre was a bit dead for me.
Most brawlers on Steam or GOG are either gamepad or keyboard & mouse friendly now. Let's get you back into it! If you choose to, start with Streets of Rage 4 or anything else that peaks your interest! Let me know what works or doesn't for you!

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Most brawlers on Steam or GOG are either gamepad or keyboard & mouse friendly now. Let's get you back into it! If you choose to, start with Streets of Rage 4 or anything else that peaks your interest! Let me know what works or doesn't for you!
I don't have a gamepad and I'm not sure keyboards would feel organic enough. But also, barring the occasional exceptionally delightful Guns-Gore-and-Canolli-like ("brawler" is a bit undefined, between duel ones à la Street Fighter and scrolling ones à la Final Fight), I'm satisfied with the basic brawls included in broader games (Arkham, GTA-likes, even Mad Max). In fact, even during the Amiga years, my favorite punchatron was a minigame in Cinemaware's Rocket Ranger. Because of its narrative context and its over the shoulder perspective :

This did beat the sideview hitbox of fighting games, in my eyes. And what I find in these open world games is closer to that.

But anyway, for what it's worth I do own King of Fighters 2002 which is from *checks notes* 2002, as well as King of Fighters XIII from 2010, so I might install one of these, one of these days, until I get a more recent (and not too DLC-ridden) 3D one. But again, unless it has an interesting narrative/setting gimmick (ah Terrordrome how you've betrayed your old demo), I'm more likely to get it accidentally through a bundle than to buy it deliberately.

But of course, the feedback would immediately go to the proper thread.

Reactions: Dalisclock