Funny events in anti-woke world

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
I think Absent is feeling a bit pessimistic about things to come.
Or not. Well, firstly I'm not sure how Brawlman got mixed up in this, I was attempting to quote Trunkage above me. But then... it seemed like... Trump was supposed to have a future, in which he'd have been in positon to repeat or not his "good accomplishment". And I'm actually doubtful that he has one.

Independently from whether we all do.

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well, firstly I'm not sure how Brawlman got mixed up in this, I was attempting to quote Trunkage above me. But then... it seemed like... Trump was supposed to have a future, in which he'd have been in positon to repeat or not his "good accomplishment". And I'm actually doubtful that he has one.
You meant quote Trunkage, but quoted me by mistake. Not the first time this has happened on the site. I've done it a few times too.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Sorry, I should have been clearer -- my commentary was intended towards heavy element and radioisotope contaminants, opposed to other safety aspects associated with fly ash use. As far as mercury content, a while back here I got into it about the same subject, and dug up an article that found higher concentrations of heavy elements and naturally-occurring radioactive materials in Chinese anthracites (if I remember right) compared to others around the world. Having found that, I wonder if that may be a key piece of the puzzle -- as least as far as China is concerned.

Yeah, we're going to be paying for the ridiculousness of the early- to mid-1900's for a while yet. I still swear if something existed at that time period, somebody put asbestos, lead, or radium in it.
That's interesting to know, especially considering how much material my industry has been getting from China lately, I'll have to keep an eye on that.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
UK's mass shooting incidence seems to follow the same trend. Two in the period between 1997-2014, five since, with three of those in the last three years. Not nearly as many as in the US and certainly a couple orders of magnitude fewer casualties, but the trend's clear.
No, the trend is anything but clear: there is not enough data about mass shootings in the UK to draw meaningful conclusions.

1683794047917.png

As indicated by the diagram above, random distribution tends to lead to a certain amount of clustering. Thus where data are sufficiently sparse, it is not possible to adequately distinguish whether clustered events are due to randomness or specific causes.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
You meant quote Trunkage, but quoted me by mistake. Not the first time this has happened on the site. I've done it a few times too.
Yeah, happens a lot when you decide to quote someone, change your mind and don't post, but the system remembers. Then you quote someone else and delete a bunch of stuff you don't want, and don't notice that the beginning of the quote tags is the wrong person. At least, that's the way I usually get that mistake made.

Reactions: tstorm823

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Reactions: Dalisclock

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
In before Tstorm tells us that the Conservatives are laughing at media gullibility because for some reason none of his texts actually matter and Tucker Carlson is a stand-up, good, honest citizen who would never say naughty things about other people and demographic groups.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Elon Musk is teaming up with Ticker Carlson to give the Tuck a show on Twitter somehow.

So that has the potential to be absolutely hilarious
But Elon Musk thinks both sides are the problem, and the truth is somewhere in the middle, and no way is the weird fish-faced trust fund Billionaire secretly racists, sexists, homophobic, antisemitic and a Neo-Nazi sympathizer.
I watched his interview on Bill Maher's show a few weeks back and it was just two old out of touch boomers jizzing on each other over how smart they are, how lazy Millenials and GenZ are, and how Woke culture is just as bad or worse than the upsurge of Neo-Nazi culture.
Removing African American's right to vote vs white people no longer saying the N-word. Equally bad, ammirite?

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
I remember before when the British were moaning that Biden was hanging out with the former head of Sinn Fein like he was about to start arming the IRA and I think I said then for the British to stop making Biden sound cool.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Good on Biden. I wouldn't have hung around in a draughty cathedral for hours and hours of boring faff if I didn't have to, either. I'm not even wasting my time watching that shit on TV.

Honestly weird the number of people in the US who love the royals
Maybe they seem so much more glamorous when you don't have your own.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe they seem so much more glamorous when you don't have your own.
Or maybe it's growing disillusionment with (small 'r') republicanism. I couldn't say I entirely blame them if that's the case, given their experience.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Honestly weird the number of people in the US who love the royals
The idea of superior people, and God appointed Royals is really appealing to the Evangelical right. They love the idea of some people, namely themselves, being superior to other people. And they love the idea of just total control of a Government. Hell even Trump thought the President was a King and had total authority.

Reactions: BrawlMan and Absent