Playstation showcase 5/24/23

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
These publishers, developers, console makers, or all the above, can't let it fucking go! You would think they would learn something, after shutting all of the other live service games down. They'll get the message sooner or later (much sooner), when hits their bottom line.
My guess is that these Arena games aren't really that expensive to make, and the servers are already bought from other failed live service games so maybe they are making these bullshit games to make use of the server hardware so as it doesn't go to waste. And maybe something will stick and catch on for a while.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
There was a bit of a spotlight on multiplayer games in this event, which is admittedly a bit of a gap in Sony's portfolio, but heavens above, none of these hit the mark IMO.

Marathon will probably stick around because Bungie, but Fairgames (Fairgame$?) and Foamstars (creatively bankrupt Splatoon at home) gave me immediate "servers shutting down before a year" vibes.

O, the tale of the live service game in a saturated market.

Reactions: BrawlMan

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Don't really care for a PvP focus game but I really like the art style of marathon.

Sword of the sea might as well be journey 2

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
And I once again smell live-service. It's like SE didn't learn their lesson with Avengers.
But what if we did it much too late to matter and in a way everyone hates? - SE, probably

They need to hire someone to hold a newspaper in meetings and when ideas like this inevitably pop up, the newspaper guy calmly walks over to the offender, rolls up the newspaper, gives the guy a bop on the nose with it, and then calmly walks back over to sit down until needed again.

Reactions: RhombusHatesYou

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Thats kinda strange, you'd think they'd coordinate with the TV show to try and have simultaneous release of S2 and TLoU3.

Studio won't bat an eyelash at spending literally hundreads of millions of dollars on advertising and then just ignore free publicity...
Psh, you should see Marvels capitlization on the movies popularity to boost their comics sale.

By which uh... yeah they didn't. I think theres several characters they lliterally killed off around the same they got into the MCU lol.

2. Player's time. This sort of piggybacks off point one, but if someone's chosen live service is Warzone, then that player is never going to stick around in your fucking foam territory control game. People who played WoW, didn't go play Rift. They might try these games but ultimately players are going to be at home with whatever game they've been playing and have probably sunk time and money into, and some shitty knock-off attempt at pulling them away is never going to happen. If you want to make a new live service game then you have to make a game that doesn't overlap with one of the other live services already super successful.
Yeah Warframe has been depressingly adding a lot more of the "weekly, do the thing or all progress resets and you start over even when it does rotate back around" stuff in several of its last few rounds. Which is often cited as the reason people left Destiny and picked Warframe up was that it could be grindy AF but at least you could do it whenever.

Dragons Dogma 2!!!
PSh, no random guitar squeal into j-rock song, 3/10 lol
(is there actual gameplay? I could only find the 1:30 trailer bit_

Helldivers 2 look okay. We've seen tons of co-op vs horde types of games before, so gameplay doesn't look too impressive. The Alien monster designs look cool, though!
I could be biased cause they literally gave it out for free on PSPLus but the first one was a pretty fun romp.

IT does like a better Starship Troopers game then the actual STarship Troopers game coming out is though, lol

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Why? Fans have been waiting forever on this, and you're going to go digital only? Remedy says it's to avoid the $70 charge, but they're self-publishing now. They can still charge $60, and make discs. No future plans for a disc version either. Fucking dumb.

Reactions: gorfias

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Woops... Didn't see the thread for this.

I am interested into Metal Gear and Spidey 2, that's a given. I don't think there's much else to be said.

Assassin's Creed Mirage looks like classic AssCreed, but in my opinion, not in a good way. The parkour they showed off looked like the exact same parkour they had in the PS3/X360 games, and the combat looks whatever. For a game that's supposed to focus on stealth more, there was very, very little stealth in the trailer. I dunno, if you put Unity and Mirage beside each other, I would have guessed that Unity was the newer one. I guess we'll see, but the vibe I'm getting from this game is that they're just recycling old animations and assets to test if players do actually care about being an Assassin.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Why? Fans have been waiting forever on this, and you're going to go digital only? Remedy says it's to avoid the $70 charge, but they're self-publishing now. They can still charge $60, and make discs. No future plans for a disc version either. Fucking dumb.
Sales on PS5 were 80% digital last year, a trend increasing year over year. 90% on Xbox and rising. Basically 100% on pc for years now. Only Nintendo is still about 50/50.

Physical is going, the convenience of digital is winning out, no doubt accelerated by the pandemic. And the industry is no doubt taking notice. Remedy likely feels confident the potential loss in sales of only offering digital is offset by the greater profit margins/lesser costs. Expect to see more of this in the future, especially once this or another digital only game becomes a success.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
No one talking about this ... thing?
Streaming via remote play? So not only do you need a PS5, you're limited to using it within wifi range i.e. basically within your home, which is where that PS5 already is, and which is something you could already do with any of the phones and/or tablets you already own. Seriously, what's the point?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
No one talking about this ... thing?
Streaming via remote play? So not only do you need a PS5, you're limited to using it within wifi range i.e. basically within your home, which is where that PS5 already is, and which is something you could already do with any of the phones and/or tablets you already own. Seriously, what's the point?
I think because most people heard of it as a rumor and assumed that Sony wasn't stupid enough to actually do it.