Playstation showcase 5/24/23

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I don't know if I would call it a failed roadmap tbh. I was disappointed because no FF7, but it they'd shown that I'd been happier than a pig in shit. I've seen a lot of people pretty happy with the overall scope of what they had to show, though admittedly the show was overhyped for what was shown. I think the real bummer is that nothing was shown that we didn't already expect. We knew a Metal Gear Remake was coming, we knew Spider-Man 2 was coming, Dragons Dogma, Street Fighter 6, FF16, a lot of what would be considered "big" games, were already known about and there were any announcements of AAA things that we didn't expect.

All in all, the AAA showing was ok, and the indies are probably gonna be cute enough. Even though I personally don't care about any of the shit they showed outside of Spider-Man, I can't say people are wrong to okay with the show itself. There seems to be plenty coming along the road that I can't really say it's a bad roadmap.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't know if I would call it a failed roadmap tbh.
Agreed. Honestly, the gaming journalists are more butt-hurt about this and more upset than a majority of the general gaming audience. We get it guys and gals, you are disappointed in some things, but it wasn't the biggest train wreck you thought it was. The show gets a 7 out of 10 for me.

We knew a Metal Gear Remake was coming, we knew Spider-Man 2 was coming, Dragons Dogma, Street Fighter 6, FF16, a lot of what would be considered "big" games, were
I didn't expect Dragon's Dogma 2 & a Metal Gear Solid 3 Remake.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I didn't expect Dragon's Dogma 2 & a Metal Gear Solid 3 Remake.
I mean I didn't expect to see that much of DD2, but I knew the MGS3 remake was coming. I don't like Metal Gear so I don't care, but I knew it was coming because there were a lot of reports since like January that a remake of MGS3 was happening. It's a cool reveal, but I knew it was coming soonish (though I expected it to be at the summer fest).

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
I don't know if I would call it a failed roadmap tbh. I was disappointed because no FF7,
With Final Fantasy XVI around the corner, they would have been stupid to mess up their marketing strategy by throwing out FF7RE2 now.

They want people hyped for their next upcoming release, not for a release that's still years out.

They showed games that are coming to PS5 this and next year, what more were they expecting?

And no, I'm not going to sit through a 90 minute talk.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Message from MGS dev team:
Fw7Nc07aIAErChq.jpg

But we have no idea who these guys are. Are they third-party? Konami in-house?

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
No one talking about this ... thing?
Streaming via remote play? So not only do you need a PS5, you're limited to using it within wifi range i.e. basically within your home, which is where that PS5 already is, and which is something you could already do with any of the phones and/or tablets you already own. Seriously, what's the point?
Sony wanted to rip off the the Switch, or Steam deck, but instead they ripped off the Wii U. Not only rip it off, but do something that's arguably worse, because you don't need an internet connection to play Wii U games on your pad, the controller looks actually worse, it's a peripheral so you have to buy it separately from a PlayStation 5 (which ironically is what some people thought the Wii U was because of its poor marketing), and you can just do something like this with your phone anyway so it's pointless to throw 200 bucks at it.

Every time Sony blatantly tries to rip off Nintendo it's some of their most embarrassing products.

I'm really getting PlayStation move flashbacks.

iirc the PSvita could do the same and no one gave a shit.
Once again, the Vita is arguably better because you can at least play games without an internet connection or having it hooked up to a console.

They're doing Wii U, and Vita, but worse, and that's fucking incredible.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
With Final Fantasy XVI around the corner, they would have been stupid to mess up their marketing strategy by throwing out FF7RE2 now.

They want people hyped for their next upcoming release, not for a release that's still years out.
You mean months out, it's supposed to launch at the end of this year.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
They showed games that are coming to PS5 this and next year, what more were they expecting?

And no, I'm not going to sit through a 90 minute talk.
I can't blame you. Even I feel this is just a waste of time and the staff just crying over spilled milk.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
You mean months out, it's supposed to launch at the end of this year.
The next Remake installment is coming this year? Damn! Sign me up baby!

Sony wanted to rip off the the Switch, or Steam deck, but instead they ripped off the Wii U. Not only rip it off, but do something that's arguably worse, because you don't need an internet connection to play Wii U games on your pad, the controller looks actually worse, it's a peripheral so you have to buy it separately from a PlayStation 5 (which ironically is what some people thought the Wii U was because of its poor marketing), and you can just do something like this with your phone anyway so it's pointless to throw 200 bucks at it.

Every time Sony blatantly tries to rip off Nintendo it's some of their most embarrassing products.

I'm really getting PlayStation move flashbacks.

Once again, the Vita is arguably better because you can at least play games without an internet connection or having it hooked up to a console.

They're doing Wii U, and Vita, but worse, and that's fucking incredible.
No, just no.

This is a ridiculously weird move by them, but it's not them wanting to rip off the Wii U.

They have had Remote Play with mobile devices going back to the PS3 and the PSP, then the PS4 and the PSVita and Phones, Tablets and PCs and the PS5 and Phones Tablets and PCs.

The Wii U and whatever Sony is shitting out now run paralel, there's no intersection. It's a very narrow look on things to say they're attempting to rip off the Wii U now.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
The next Remake installment is coming this year? Damn! Sign me up baby!

No, just no.

This is a ridiculously weird move by them, but it's not them wanting to rip off the Wii U.

They have had Remote Play with mobile devices going back to the PS3 and the PSP, then the PS4 and the PSVita and Phones, Tablets and PCs and the PS5 and Phones Tablets and PCs.

The Wii U and whatever Sony is shitting out now run paralel, there's no intersection. It's a very narrow look on things to say they're attempting to rip off the Wii U now.
I'm not saying they purposely ripped off the Wii U, this is obviously supposed to be their answer to the switch or a steam deck. They just fuck up so much it is more comparable to the Wii U, and arguably a worse device.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I could see it be useful if the PSremote, or w/e, could also play some title, like small scale indie or PS1-PS2 game.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
this is obviously supposed to be their answer to the switch or a steam deck.
Doubtful.

Switch and Steam Deck both run games natively, this is purely a streaming screen. It's an expansion to their Remote Play "suite", useless considering you can just snap a controller, like the one they partnered with ( Backbone One ), to your phone and use that.

If it's an answer to anything, it's an answer to the NVidia Shield. At least, I think that was a streaming only device, right? But even compared to that it's gimped as it only streams from the PS5 and not from their cloud gaming. It would be too daft to think this an answer to the Switch or Steam Deck.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
I also just realized it's called MGS Master Collection "Vol.1", suggesting there are more collection bundles coming? MGS4, Peace Walker, and MGS5: GZ and PP in vol 2?
metal-gear-solid-master-collection-1.large.jpg

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The polarity of these videos is hilarious. Some people loved the shit outta that show and others are like, "BOOORRRRRINGGG!"
Simmon's reaction doesn't surprise me. Double Toasted were really only there for Spider-Man 2, but clearly enjoyed the entire show. I can only assume Pat and Woolie loved nearly everything that was going on.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Simmon's reaction doesn't surprise me. Double Toasted were really only there for Spider-Man 2, but clearly enjoyed the entire show. I can only assume Pat and Woolie loved nearly everything that was going on.
I wanna see the reactions to Xbox's "We aint got shit" showcase.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I wanna see the reactions to Xbox's "We aint got shit" showcase.
Max will spins chairs, Simmons will biatch twice as hard, Korey and Martin aren't even going to watch the XBOX show, Woolie doesn't care, and Pat will have a whole bunch of jokes lined up at Microsoft and its fanboys' expense.