The “WTF?!” Thread

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I mean, a wake isn't the funeral service, it's the bit where you eat casseroles and reminisce
If they're anything in Ecuador as they are here, a catholic wake is lots of sitting around being sad in silence, with possible exceptions for quiet sobbing and or prayer, maybe pierced by a priest giving a sermon if its in a church. The whole gathering for drinks/food and talking isn't done until after inhumation.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
If they're anything in Ecuador as they are here, a catholic wake is lots of sitting around being sad in silence, with possible exceptions for quiet sobbing and or prayer, maybe pierced by a priest giving a sermon if its in a church. The whole gathering for drinks/food and talking isn't done until after inhumation.
Wild. My family's pretty Catholic and we never did an thing like that

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Wild. My family's pretty Catholic and we never did an thing like that
Much like protestantism, catholicism is not a monolith, and practices and traditions can differ quite a lot from region to region.

I mean, in Spain and its former colonies they do the penitent with capirote thing. I'm assuming your family doesn't have those laying around.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
What a bunch of bloody idiots. Have they sent a rescue unit down yet, risking more lives unnecessarily as a result of these people’s stupidity?
I'd imagine they either do so really soon, or they may as well take their time. Though, I wonder if they have remote controlled rescue stuff for that.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Have they sent a rescue unit down yet,
I'm not sure there is such a thing. I wonder how they plan to act if they locate the sub. Maybe a drone powerful enough to lift it?

But yeah. It's horribly cynical to say, but I'm astonished by how this is 2023 and people are still drowning in the Titanic.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I'm not sure there is such a thing. I wonder how they plan to act if they locate the sub. Maybe a drone powerful enough to lift it?
A drone with a long cable that it can attach to a convenient load bearing surface, to allow it to be pulled up by a surface ship?

There's actually a fair bit of official submarine rescue stuff on the net, but about full sized submarines, not rich people toys.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
A drone with a long cable that it can attach to a convenient load bearing surface, to allow it to be pulled up by a surface ship?
Yes. That's actually what they're going for. The french Atalante is en route, with the Victor6000 unmanned sub. It could help release the Titan if it's stuck. Or it could help attach a cable from a surface vessel.

But they still need to locate the Titan.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

But yeah. It's horribly cynical to say, but I'm astonished by how this is 2023 and people are still drowning in the Titanic.
It’s a husk of a ship at this point and more barnacle than steel. Plus the valuable contents have all been sitting in museums for decades now. After Cameron did it with probably a lot more security measures in place, these rich idiots figured at playing “me too” with too much time to kill, not to mention themselves when that time runs out. What’s next if they’re miraculously rescued, the Mariana Trench?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Ah, I was wondering where discussion of the billionaire submarine was going down.

On one hand, a slow death in a coffin buried water is one of the most horrible things I can imagine. One the other hand, really hard to feel bad for people throwing their lives and a substantial amount of money (for us, not them) away just for I assume an ego boost.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Ah, I was wondering where discussion of the billionaire submarine was going down.

On one hand, a slow death in a coffin buried water is one of the most horrible things I can imagine. One the other hand, really hard to feel bad for people throwing their lives and a substantial amount of money (for us, not them) just for I assume an ego boost.
Either way it goes for those in the submarine, there's someone in Hollywood already scripting this up.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Either way it goes for those in the submarine, there's someone in Hollywood already scripting this up.
I want a The Social Network style movie where the film actually pretends that this was a brilliant, courageous endeavor and everyone on board are misunderstood heroes.