Funny events in anti-woke world

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
The FBI had the hardware.
And yet the strongest legal case the Republican-run FBI could make (under both Trump and Biden admins) was on taxes and unlawful possession of a firearm. That should tell you the veracity of the myriad other claims made by the Post et al.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
The FBI had the hardware.
They had the hardware... over 7 months after it was left at the repair shop. And we know that even before it was handed to the repair shop, investigators indicated that people other than Hunter had had access, and made changes. And even after the FBI had it, changes were still being made to it.

There are so. many. holes and uncertainties.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
And yet the strongest legal case the Republican-run FBI could make (under both Trump and Biden admins) was on taxes and unlawful possession of a firearm. That should tell you the veracity of the myriad other claims made by the Post et al.
There were (are) at least 3 simultaneous investigations going on by different agencies. This is not necessarily the end of his legal troubles.
And we know that even before it was handed to the repair shop, investigators indicated that people other than Hunter had had access, and made changes.
Source?

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I think this guy is confusing passports with visas, and they aren't the same thing.
The access someone has to a country shouldn't be determined by something they cannot control(birthplace, parent, etc.) and something they mostly cannot control.(social-economic status)

Reactions: Absent

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
The access someone has to a country shouldn't be determined by something they cannot control(birthplace, parent, etc.) and something they mostly cannot control.(social-economic status)
Well since sovereignty is a thing, access to a country by visitors can be determined by whatever the government of the day pleases. I won't disagree there are some absurd hoops and arcane rules at play, but again they're not really anything to do with passports.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Consider the actual timeline of events here:

In 2018, federal law enforcement agencies began investigating Hunter Biden, and were aware Hunter was using his relationship to Joe Biden as leverage in overseas business dealings.
In 2019, Trump mentioned bad stuff with the Biden's in the call with Zelensky.
In late 2019 to early 2020, they impeached Trump for what he said to Zelensky.
And in 2020, right before the election, 50 former leaders of the intelligence community sign a letter suggesting that evidence the FBI had already possessed and validated for a year could be Russian disinformation.
Right, we didn't know what we know now. We didn't. We are not the intelligence community. We are not the FBI, who had the physical laptop unaltered from before it got anywhere near Giuliani. We are not the IRS, who were referred the laptop about financial crimes. We are not the US Attorney's office in Delaware who was investigating Hunter's lobbying and finances in 2018. I'm not going to criticize you for questioning it at the time (at least until Hunter admitted it could be his real laptop on television), or even the news media who plausibly may not have been informed in the short term. What's not plausible is that Hunter was galivanting around the world for years wielding his dad's name to get money from foreign oligarchs, like the Burisma connection that began in 2014, and Jim Clapper, who was in charge of the CIA until 2017, could honestly sign off on a letter calling evidence of Hunter's wrongdoing potential Russian misinformation.
As per your own timeline, the first inclination that Hunter Biden was guilty of anything shady was in 2018, well after Jim Clapper had quit the CIA. When I go over the rest of the signatories, only two (Russell Travers and Glenn S. Gerstell) actually worked for intelligence agencies between 2018 and 2020, so only those could be argued to have any insight into those investigations. Though I only checked around half the signatories; the further down you go the harder it is to find solid numbers.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

What is happening here?

A. dementia-related psychotic episode
B. stroke
C. orgasm
D. immature cringe
E. all of the above

Non-existant Texas music festival in a non-existant Texas town written by a dude named Flagg Eagleton for an outlet named the Dunning Kruger Times.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
As per your own timeline, the first inclination that Hunter Biden was guilty of anything shady was in 2018, well after Jim Clapper had quit the CIA. When I go over the rest of the signatories, only two (Russell Travers and Glenn S. Gerstell) actually worked for intelligence agencies between 2018 and 2020, so only those could be argued to have any insight into those investigations. Though I only checked around half the signatories; the further down you go the harder it is to find solid numbers.
You're assuming both that the CIA only knows what is being formally investigated and that none of the former intelligence officials have any special knowledge of what happened after they left their position. I doubt both of those premises. Particularly the first one. In February 2014, Ukraine had a revolution and Russia invaded Crimea. It was the biggest international event of the time, and Joe Biden was given the point position on diplomacy with Ukraine. Literally the next month, Burisma publicly offered Hunter Biden a board position. There's no way the CIA was not watching Hunter in 2014.
Among the reasons for the inconclusive findings was sloppy handling of the data, which damaged some records. The experts found the data had been repeatedly accessed and copied by people other than Hunter Biden over nearly three years.
That article is from March 2022. The laptop was dropped off at the computer repair shop in April of 2019, where the repairman, who is not Hunter Biden, was tasked with accessing the data on the hard drive. Those dates are 2 years and 11 months apart, which is very accurately "nearly 3 years". That is not saying anyone accessed the data between Hunter Biden and the shop owner.

Edit: To make it considerably less subject to interpretation, that article says the laptop's journey began by being dropped off at the repair shop. If they had evidence of tampering before being left for repair, they wouldn't start the timeline at the repair shop.

Last edited:

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Well since sovereignty is a thing, access to a country by visitors can be determined by whatever the government of the day pleases. I won't disagree there are some absurd hoops and arcane rules at play, but again they're not really anything to do with passports.
Just because they can doesn’t mean they should. If I was a business owner in the early 1950s I could deny service to African Americans m, it doesn’t mean I should.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
I mean it isn't nothing to do with passports. Passports are just what represents your rights of travel. Just look at all the people in the UK who suddenly wanted Irish passports after Brexit.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
That article is from March 2022. The laptop was dropped off at the computer repair shop in April of 2019, where the repairman, who is not Hunter Biden, was tasked with accessing the data on the hard drive. Those dates are 2 years and 11 months apart, which is very accurately "nearly 3 years". That is not saying anyone accessed the data between Hunter Biden and the shop owner.

Edit: To make it considerably less subject to interpretation, that article says the laptop's journey began by being dropped off at the repair shop. If they had evidence of tampering before being left for repair, they wouldn't start the timeline at the repair shop.
I suppose that's possible-- though if we're judging by the article's use of language, it seems very odd to say "accessed by people who aren't Hunter Biden" when referring to a timeframe during which Hunter Biden never had it. That phrasing would be redundant if the ~3 years just covers the time after he left it.