General Gaming News.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I mean, there's two rules about game hype. Don't believe a trailer or even a gameplay demonstration unless its on your own hardware in your hands.

And don't beleive anything Todd Howard (or Molyneux, or Sean Murray) says will be in the game will actually be in there as stated.

That said, a Bethesda game being moddable isn't really news or anything to hype so much as a baseline function of it being a Bethesda game

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
I mean, there's two rules about game hype. Don't believe a trailer or even a gameplay demonstration unless its on your own hardware in your hands.

And don't beleive anything Todd Howard (or Molyneux, or Sean Murray) says will be in the game will actually be in there as stated.

That said, a Bethesda game being moddable isn't really news or anything to hype so much as a baseline function of it being a Bethesda game
I consider Starfield as the PC engine for Starfinder solo tabletop games as Skyrim is homebrew for solo tabletop video games

Reactions: Zykon TheLich

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
They need the game to be moddable so that the players will do all the bug fixing for them. The big multimillion dollar company can't afford QA you know.

Well yeah I deduced that when Oblivion GotY reintroduced bugs they'd already fixed lol. (by the way, don't catch vampirism in Oblivion GotY on PS3 its completely uncurable as a result)

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
They need the game to be moddable so that the players will do all the bug fixing for them. The big multimillion dollar company can't afford QA you know.
Hey now, Bethesda uses QA... they just ignore it, threaten the QA leads to stay quiet about it, and then blame QA for all the bugs.

Also, Quality Assurance doesn't explicitly state what kind of quality they're assuring... although with Bethesda we can all take a pretty good guess.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
They’re really shooting themselves in the foot with this whole Activision thing. They will look like the biggest hypocrites if it goes through and they don’t have it on PS, after all this “Oh we aren’t doing it to keep titles off other platforms.”

Reactions: BrawlMan

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Clarification on Starfield not having the physical disc:

I never got any collector's edition of a game; is it usual for them to not have the actual disc despite the price?

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Clarification on Starfield not having the physical disc:

I never got any collector's edition of a game; is it usual for them to not have the actual disc despite the price?
Considering the cost of a disc is measured in cents, that price isn't covering the disc but all the other shit that's in it. And most PC games have been disc-less affairs for the past decade anyway so why the fuck this was a shock to anyone on that platform. For the Xbox and PS5 though? Very sus.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Considering the cost of a disc is measured in cents, that price isn't covering the disc but all the other shit that's in it. And most PC games have been disc-less affairs for the past decade anyway so why the fuck this was a shock to anyone on that platform. For the Xbox and PS5 though? Very sus.
I said it before, and I said it again, this is why majority of the AAA industry can screw off!

Reactions: FakeSympathy

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

I said it before, and I said it again, this is why majority of the AAA industry can screw off!
Oh man, I remember the internet going ballistic over the canvas bags, and I made a post about in the old escapist forum. Good times. Bethesda just kept pouring gasoline to fire with their horrible responses and managing the support ticket.

Wouldn't be surprised if the history repeats itself with starfield ce; I wonder what will it be? The watch being broken or cracked? Or the case's latch doesn't work or made from cheapest plastic shit available?

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Wouldn't be surprised if the history repeats itself with starfield ce; I wonder what will it be? The watch being broken or cracked? Or the case's latch doesn't work or made from cheapest plastic shit available?
Don't worry, modders will fix it!

That had better be on Todd Howard's grave stone.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

Funny thing is, I personally think this may be his last game. Yes, he's been talking about ES6 and that being his last game, but my gut intuition tells me starfield will be the make it or break it for this man and if it bombs, I don't know if he'll have the energy to keep going.

If that becomes a reality and he still wants to got for ES6, then I gotta give him a compliment; Despite all the criticisms, despite all his sweet little lies exposed, and despite keep directing a game with faulty launch, he has never once backed down and kept going. He's one of the most tenacious individuals in the gaming industry I've ever seen

Reactions: RhombusHatesYou

Nox

Jun 20, 2023
Country
Valhalla

I think the main issue is the one even modders can't/couldn't fix. It has been twelve years since the release of Skyrim, there are mods that turn it into a modern miracle...until any PC or NPC moves or tries to interact with the world in anyway. Animations are better in F4, I doubt anyone will question that, but there's still that horrible jank with movement and interaction all of their games suffer from.

What I don't really get is...doesn't Zenimax also own id? And, by extention, idTech? You know? One of the best game engines ever made? Is it really not possible to re-purpose it for open world? Surely it can't be less economical than trying to make heads or tails of whatever CE has become.