General Gaming News.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
If this is true, that is pretty fucking funny. Hopefully the remake is less about making them more like the recent games.
I'm a bit confused. I do like AC (and AC-likes). But... they already are remakes. Barely masked by reskins. So why announcing an even more remakey remake? Why not keep it politely reskinned? If the point is to make another AC why not paint it Japanese or NewYorker ? If the point is to make a new single player pirate game (always welcome) why not make it standalone or Far Cry ? If the point is to technically upgrade an older AC episode for modern players to... uh, "enjoy its story" (really?), why not update an older one ?

This is like EA doing FIFA 2019 and FIFA 2020 and FIFA 2021 and FIFA 2022 and FIFA 2023 and suddenly announcing a FIFA 2021 remake.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I'm a bit confused. I do like AC (and AC-likes). But... they already are remakes. Barely masked by reskins. So why announcing an even more remakey remake? Why not keep it politely reskinned? If the point is to make another AC why not paint it Japanese or NewYorker ? If the point is to make a new single player pirate game (always welcome) why not make it standalone or Far Cry ? If the point is to technically upgrade an older AC episode for modern players to... uh, "enjoy its story" (really?), why not update an older one ?

This is like EA doing FIFA 2019 and FIFA 2020 and FIFA 2021 and FIFA 2022 and FIFA 2023 and suddenly announcing a FIFA 2021 remake.
Like I said, hopefully it's not the case, but I wouldn't at all doubt if this was an attempt to bring in the new RPG-esque, gear collectathon, microtransaction heavy gameplay to the high seas.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Yeah, AC4 is already a great game with some minor flaws; Controls sometimes not working too great and missing jumps, story having least amount of assassin order (at least up to that point), out of date follow the target to eavesdrop, bad AI for the NPCs, etc. But in an attempt to remake the game to fix these issues, I feel everything that made the game great will become worse.

My biggest concern is the fact that it's the same guys who are working on SnB. And the naval combat looks watered-down, butchered, processed low-grade dog food compared to AC4. What if the remake decides to have the said watered down version?

Reactions: BrawlMan

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
My biggest concern is the fact that it's the same guys who are working on SnB. And the naval combat looks watered-down, butchered, processed low-grade dog food compared to AC4. What if the remake decides to have the said watered down version?
This is why it's best not to get your hopes up. Ubisoft is forever finding new and innovative ways to disappoint.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I wonder if the same can be said about those loading symbols? I.E. Glowing emblem or dots going in circle.
Check this out from the article:

While an overwhelming number of devs responding to Beckett-King’s tweet admitted to faking loading bars to psychologically appease players, Lemmings creator and original Grand Theft Auto dev Mike Dailly took a bold stance in claiming that he had never fabricated a loading screen - not least because he’d been on the receiving end of a frustrating wait like the rest of us.

“I've never faked one,” Dailly declared. “In fact, I've gone out of my way to try and make it as "correct" and as smooth as possible...

“Probably because I've always hated the windows ones, where it'd sit for ages at like 20% then jump to 100%.”

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

Posted this on the other thread by mistake;

Apparently this is an entirely separate project from the multiplayer game. While most of these leaks and rumors should be taken with a grain of salt, all these details do sound like something Neil Drunk-on-fame-mann would come up with

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Posted this on the other thread by mistake;

Apparently this is an entirely separate project from the multiplayer game. While most of these leaks and rumors should be taken with a grain of salt, all these details do sound like something Neil Drunk-on-fame-mann would come up with
Roll it again:

Last edited:
Reactions: FakeSympathy

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
No. It will never work.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

Hmm, several possible outcomes imo:
  • 343i and MS doubles down on their decisions so far, say everything is fine, and continute to ride this derailed train off the cliff
  • Do some major changes of execs and decision-makers in 343i to make the next Halo actually great
  • Kill off Halo completely, and have 343i work on something new
  • Kill off both 343i AND Halo
  • Nothing really happens
IDK, Halo feels like such a frakenstein experiment now, it could go any directions

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

• 343i and MS doubles down on their decisions so far, say everything is fine, and continute to ride this derailed train off the cliff
  • Do some major changes of execs and decision-makers in 343i to make the next Halo actually great
  • Nothing really happens
IDK, Halo feels like such a frakenstein experiment now, it could go any directions
There was a time I was on the Halo hate train bandwagon between 2007-08, and I learned how stupid I was being. But even late teens me would never want something like this to happen to the franchise and the Halo fans in general. I really don't know what's going to happen, but none of options surprises me, if they or a combination of them become reality.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

• Nothing really happens
I think the FPS genre as a whole has simply evolved and moved on from the things that Halo offered. The arena shooter has been replaced with the BR and Hero shooter and like it or not you gotta move on with the times or you aint keeping a playerbase especially a playerbase that wasnt thrilled about your offering to begin with.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think the FPS genre as a whole has simply evolved and moved on from the things that Halo offered.
The genre moved on from COD and Halo, evolved, or went back to what made shooters great in the first place. The fact there is so much variety of FPSs now, shows that not everything has to swing in one direction.

The arena shooter has been replaced with the BR and Hero shooter and like it or not you gotta move on with the times or you aint keeping a playerbase especially a playerbase that wasnt thrilled about your offering to begin with.
The fact that Halo Infinite is not a BR nor a Hero shooter is not the problem.

The problem is that 343i doesn't care to improve upon the multiplayer in much fashion, too lazy to have the most basic features from the og trilogy, and staffed by people who either are apathetic to Halo and its community at best, or are actually hate the games, the franchise, and its fans. And as we've seen, that threshold is vast and near infinite. Not to mention, most BRs and Hero shooters are trash and didn't get much further than the COD clones of yesteryear. Hell, most of them got shut down earlier this year. Thank God for shooters like Doom 4, Wolfenstein NO, Shadow Warrior Reboot, and many old-school style on the indie and AA side making a return. Showing how shit the genre had become during the 7th generation and for 1/2 of the 8th generation.

EDIT: Not to mention there a plenty of Halo fans and some new comers still playing the MP of Halo 3 and Reach today.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
The genre moved on from COD and Halo, evolved, or went back to what made shooters great in the first place. The fact there is so much variety of FPSs now, shows that not everything has to swing in one direction.

The problem is that 343i doesn't care to improve upon the multiplayer in much fashion, too lazy to have the most basic features from the og trilogy, and staffed by people who either are apathetic to Halo and its community at best, or are actually hate the games, the franchise, and its fans. And as we've seen, that threshold is vast and near infinite. Not to mention, most BRs and Hero shooters are trash and didn't get much further than the COD clones of yesteryear. Hell, most of them got shut down earlier this year. Thank God for shooters like Doom 4, Wolfenstein NO, Shadow Warrior Reboot, and many old-school style on the indie and AA side making a return. Showing how shit the genre had become during the 7th generation and for 1/2 of the 8th generation.

EDIT: Not to mention there a plenty of Halo fans and some new comers still playing the MP of Halo 3 and Reach today.
Also the campaign/story. Ever since 343i took over, they seem to keep doing a crap job of world building, writing characters, and telling a good story. Yes it can be argued Bungie Halo games weren't exactly Shakespearian, but they had both the consistency and continuity.

Halo 4, 5, and Inf all feels like separate games in terms of story. There's barely any connection between them or with the past games. It's like FF series, only here the separate narratives sucks harder with each game. I mean when was the last time Master Chief had to deal with the flood? I heard they were featuered in Halo Wars 2, but weren't the main threat. And IIRC, they (or it?) is very hard to completely kill off

I guess Master Chief is the factor that keeps all the games together, but my god it's clear that 343i simply doesn't care about good writing. AT first, I thought they were doing this for the purpose of setting up the "plot" in the multiplayer portion, but at this point MP is it's own thing now due to live service model.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

I dunno man. I feel like shooters are a young mans game and youngun's these days group up with a different type of game.

Personally i dont think Halo would have the same success even if 343 gave a shit. 343 should have been pulled off the project after 5 but i dont blame MS for giving them a second try. But after that first xbox showcase with potato graphics and a year delay i think MS should have brought in help.

Then again MS doesnt know what the fuck they be doing either so it's the boomer leading the boomer. That boomer attitude is why MS cant move on from the days when they were great.

343 cant tell a story. They dont understand game deign clearly. So it is a mess that frankly cant be saved.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I dunno man. I feel like shooters are a young mans game and youngun's these days group up with a different type of game.
While true, that still doesn't change the fact that most BRs and Hero Shooters died, or were killed pre-maturely, because they didn't make all the money in the universe. I've seen plenty of younger guys jump on to the older Halos (mainly 3, ODST, & Reach), because of the Master Chief collection or because the older fans are more than happy to bring younger guys and gals into the fandom.

Personally i dont think Halo would have the same success even if 343 gave a shit.
The effort would have been better, more admirable, and more fans would have been more forgiving had they actually gave a shit. It's the fact that they didn't try or care, that makes it all the more insulting. That possible care could have worked and built actual good will for themselves and the community.

Then again MS doesnt know what the fuck they be doing either so it's the boomer leading the boomer. That boomer attitude is why MS cant move on from the days when they were great.

343 cant tell a story. They dont understand game deign clearly. So it is a mess that frankly cant be saved.
And that is the other major factor and the biggest cause of this disaster. In addition, MS doesn't care and has been resting on their laurels. Thinking they can get by with Halo, Gears, and Forza forever more. I hate to say it, but assholes like Movie Bob called out Microsoft on relying on Halo too much all the way back in 2007. He wasn't first (though he tried to act like it), but that became more true and true just before the start of XONE. Back on point: Halo Infinite not being a BR or Hero had nothing to do with its and the franchises failures for the past decade. It's the lack of anyone at 343/MS giving a shit. Even they did follow either trends, the result would have been much worse and more wasted resources with more delays and disappointments.

Also the campaign/story. Ever since 343i took over, they seem to keep doing a crap job of world building, writing characters, and telling a good story. Yes it can be argued Bungie Halo games weren't exactly Shakespearian, but they had both the consistency and continuity.

Halo 4, 5, and Inf all feels like separate games in terms of story. There's barely any connection between them or with the past games. It's like FF series, only here the separate narratives sucks harder with each game. I mean when was the last time Master Chief had to deal with the flood? I heard they were featuered in Halo Wars 2, but weren't the main threat. And IIRC, they (or it?) is very hard to completely kill off

I guess Master Chief is the factor that keeps all the games together, but my god it's clear that 343i simply doesn't care about good writing. AT first, I thought they were doing this for the purpose of setting up the "plot" in the multiplayer portion, but at this point MP is it's own thing now due to live service model.
Yep.