Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
So I bought the BG1+2 remasters on PS4 and holy fuck. There is playing retro games and then there is playing that fucking shit. My damn brain exploded trying to figure out how to move my character, I done walked out of the town and died to a wolf.

I do wanna play them one day for real, but I wouldn't do it without a walkthrough because my brain can no longer compute that shit no mo.
They had some kind of a tutorial thing that explained the very very very basics, but that, and figuring out how to actually not die is a big difference. It feels scrubby but the game legit wants you to rest every few fights so you get your spells back and can heal up. Also for some godforsaken reason until you do this one story mission literally every weapon will break easily cause the mine they get the metal for the wepaons from is apparently cursed, so for the first few moments of the game where you're the weakest you're liable to be without a weapon randomly in the middle of a fight. I had a two handed greatsword break with the first swing I took cause it was a critical. At least the thing it hit died to it.

But once you get your groove, have a full 6 person party with a healer and get some kind of decent gear and armor it becomes more stable and consistent. At least until you meet something with petrification skills, cause petrification is basically instadeath unless you have the cure petrification spell which you likely won't. Just fuck petrification lol.

@Dreiko So I just read the early Access FAQ and I was wrong. My early access version is only act1 which they claim is 25-35 hours long (holy fuck). However once the full game launches I get that automatically. Additionally early access saves will not be usable on the full game (which means there is no reason to play it now rip).
Yeah that's kinda what I remembered, on ps5 it said if you preorder you get 2 days early access to chapter 1 (of the full game version, not of the early access version) which I figure is the same on pc too.

Last edited:
Reactions: CriticalGaming

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
My phone downloaded the Final Fantasy 7 Ever Crisis game last night. Cant play it yet because no servers but there is a note saying they are preping for beta launch, and clearly its been uploaded to the ap store.

So hype.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
The DnD 2.0 system the BG game used is kinda crappy and seemingly confusing on purpose. But at the same time, they aren't made for video game, so there's tons of cheap exploit in the game that make the entire game a complete breeze.

Honestly, they're not that worth playing, they were special back then because large scale RPG weren't very common, the only other choice was ultima which has its own share of problem around that time.
Psh, Ultima 9 was a lovely game. Err, I mean, it would've been, if it had existed. I think Might and MAgic Blood and Honor was hanging out around the time too (Before that series took its relatively equivalent dive)

I've actually seen a few folks trying to hype themselves up for BG3 by smacking the brick wall that is BG1 and realizing that yeah, D&D 2.0 but real time is an awful gameplay idea, the main story is kind of mediocre, and everything else is very much the QUANTITY over QUALITY, to take the above discussion.

BG2 is the slightest upgrade on that, but ignores the series would-be plot for most of it. Is largely anchored by a decent performance by whoever is playing Irenicus (even if his backstory is nonsense fanfic level, as are many of the party members). Still feels compelled to try and play "all the hits" though, which is why we got dark elves, mind flayers, multiple dragons, etc all jammed into one game

Reactions: meiam

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
So I bought the BG1+2 remasters on PS4 and holy fuck. There is playing retro games and then there is playing that fucking shit. My damn brain exploded trying to figure out how to move my character, I done walked out of the town and died to a wolf.

I do wanna play them one day for real, but I wouldn't do it without a walkthrough because my brain can no longer compute that shit no mo.
Yeah, the controls are trash and unintuitive as it comes from a time when there wasn't a common set of controls and limited ways to change it

Also, dying to a wolf is very normal. If you picked a mage, they will be useless for four to five levels and once they are good, you need to go to sleep after every battle. If you picked two mages, it gets a whole lot worse

There are many battles you just cheese. You make sure you are off-screen and just throw a bunch of fireballs and kill the enemies before they come near you. Because your party will die in seconds if you don't.

I have been told many times that this is 'good game design'.I prefer to call it poor

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Yeah, the controls are trash and unintuitive as it comes from a time when there wasn't a common set of controls and limited ways to change it

Also, dying to a wolf is very normal. If you picked a mage, they will be useless for four to five levels and once they are good, you need to go to sleep after every battle. If you picked two mages, it gets a whole lot worse

There are many battles you just cheese. You make sure you are off-screen and just throw a bunch of fireballs and kill the enemies before they come near you. Because your party will die in seconds if you don't.

I have been told many times that this is 'good game design'.I prefer to call it poor
Idk what game this is but it sounds terrible. Even for retro sadist design tendencies.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Doy!

A. You never cared before and only mocked/scoffed at the hobby as being *insert derogatory comment*! Oh, now you like them, when they’re all movie-like shiny and whatnot? Well just keep applying pressure like the rest of us have done since who knows when. They’ll see you the more visible you are.

B. The usual suspects, I guess.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Idk what game this is but it sounds terrible. Even for retro sadist design tendencies.
It's baldur's gate 1/2, it may totally be stochholm syndrome but it feels like once you understand it, it starts making sense. Though I was playing a barbarian and not a mage so that may have something to do with it too. I think the main issue this game has is with the pause system cause to play right you have to keep pausing and doing things all the time which interrupts the flow too much, but that's how I played it to do well.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
It's baldur's gate 1/2, it may totally be stochholm syndrome but it feels like once you understand it, it starts making sense. Though I was playing a barbarian and not a mage so that may have something to do with it too. I think the main issue this game has is with the pause system cause to play right you have to keep pausing and doing things all the time which interrupts the flow too much, but that's how I played it to do well.
I also don't like how mages spent 90% of the time throwing rocks wirh their own arms

While I enjoy BG for what it is, it'made me never want to try D&D. Pillars and Divinity made all classes interesting even though they try that retro feel

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Plus they probably still hadn’t figured out “good” gameplay yet either, outside of maybe some early Nintendo stuff.
Even going back to old Mario feels like a chore compared to how smooth new Mario feels

I'd note that many people like cheesing games. It makes them feel smart, like they outwitted the game. See also: Dark Souls. I'm just more interested in tactics rather than cheese. I like outsmarting the tactical engine rather than a game engine

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Even going back to old Mario feels like a chore compared to how smooth new Mario feels

I'd note that many people like cheesing games. It makes them feel smart, like they outwitted the game. See also: Dark Souls. I'm just more interested in tactics rather than cheese. I like outsmarting the tactical engine rather than a game engine
Dark Souls feels objective far worse to play than any other Souls game, despite being rated at the "best" game in the series. And it's painful to me.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Dark Souls feels objective far worse to play than any other Souls game, despite being rated at the "best" game in the series. And it's painful to me.
Have you ever noticed that the people who tend to say that are the guys who claim they were there "first" or they started with Dark Souls 1, even though Demon Souls is the OG Dark Souls? Assuming any of them started with Demon Souls first. Which we all know a majority of them didn't. As far as I'm concerned Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 are the best Souls game. I don't care what they say.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I've never played any Soulslike games, so this could be wrong, but: could it be a matter of the novelty factor of the first game means that it is remembered more fondly since when it came out nothing was like it, whereas the other titles have merely iterated on the same formula, which leads to a technically better game but without any of the novelty factor that came with the first game?

Reactions: Specter Von Baren