General Gaming News.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I meant more so as a frame of reference. X8 is better than X6 and X7, but it was pretty clear that X5 was the final game in the timeline. Inafune even reccomend starting from X-X5, and the immeditealy jump to the Mega Man Zero series.

I rented MML back in the day. Decent time. I never got around to Tron Bonne nor Legends 2. Anything is possible at this point, but I have feeling the next game will be another OG series game.
While X6 has problems in gameplay and lore, I really like what it does with its tone and atmosphere.

I think part of the problem with making new games in eras outside of OG is how time constrained they are. OG has that formulaic Saturday cartoon aspect that makes it easy to slot in new titles without messing anything up.

I would say ZX is the best place for a new game outside the original series. While I would love a new Legends game, I think they need to rebuild goodwill before they touch the controversy around the cancelled 3.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Fifa has been running on Frostbite since Fifa17 in 2016 though.

I'd assume they have been updating it throughout the years, one day it'll be their capable all purpose engine I suppose.
Huh. Color me impressed. It's just that they botched so hard with ME: A and Anthem I thought they stopped using frostbite for anything else

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
While X6 has problems in gameplay and lore, I really like what it does with its tone and atmosphere.
The lore and atmosphere felt inconsequential to me. You could literally skip X6 through X8 and miss nothing.

would say ZX is the best place for a new game outside the original series. While I would love a new Legends game, I think they need to rebuild goodwill before they touch the controversy around the cancelled 3.
ZX has its fans, but I don't think a starting point would work there. It's been a long minute for that sub series as well, that Capcom might as well just start with a new universe at this point. If they decide to go for a different Mega Man. Wasn't StarForce the last Mega Man spin off? I never played it.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Jagged Alliance 3 may be good but also Jagged Alliance 3 may be bad and we do not know yet it is a mystery.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
The lore and atmosphere felt inconsequential to me. You could literally skip X6 through X8 and miss nothing.

ZX has its fans, but I don't think a starting point would work there. It's been a long minute for that sub series as well, that Capcom might as well just start with a new universe at this point. If they decide to go for a different Mega Man. Wasn't StarForce the last Mega Man spin off? I never played it.

ZX isn't a spin off, it's tied directly to the main Megaman timeline like OG, X, Zero, and Legends.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Oh yeah, the parents aren't exactly off the hook either. Though I don't know personally what's going on with these set of parents, but it still should fall into responsibility to make sure to know what their kid is doing. If y'all don't have enough time, then make some damn time.
My response to people who basically say "I don't have time to raise my kid": "Well, you sure made time to conceive your kid, didn't ya?"

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
This is actually rather sad, and now I have much higher respect for classic game collectors (not that I didn't have any in the first place. Those guys are awesome!). I imagine some people might actually set up a little museum in near future. Because we know damn well none of the big companies are gonna preserve these games

Last edited:

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Huh. Color me impressed. It's just that they botched so hard with ME: A and Anthem I thought they stopped using frostbite for anything else
As far as I know, it's DICE's job to upgrade Frostbite. Given that this upgrade is what's supposed to have fucked over BF2042's development (well, even more), I wouldn't be surprised if the next few Frostbite offerings will either be shit or use the older version.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

No Paywall in this link.

Hispanic and Black Americans play video games more than other groups, according to an annual industry report, bucking the stereotype that White Americans are the industry’s most enthusiastic consumers.
While 72% of gamers last year were White — amounting to the biggest group because of their larger numbers — a higher share of Hispanic, Asian or Pacific Islander and Black Americans play games, the Entertainment Software Association said Monday.
Over the last several years, the US video-game industry has faced criticism for telling stories that primarily center around White Americans. Recently, more US-published games have featured more non-White characters.
Black and Hispanic Americans Are Big Gamers

• Share of ethnic groups that play video games

Source: Entertainment Software Association

Many top gaming companies are also making a concerted effort to diversify their workforces. Recently, Activision Blizzard Inc. announced that under-represented ethnic groups made up 39% of the employees in 2022 — up three percentage points from the year before.
The trade group’s annual survey said active players in the US fell slightly last year to 212.6 million. Men ages 18 to 44 were most likely to consider themselves active players.
Their play time shrank by 4% in 2022, with a number reducing engagement to one to three hours a week, falling into the casual category, from the four-plus for the busiest gamers.
Go Sega of America!

Good for bankrupt division of the gaming industry! Ain't touching your shit!

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

Well yes, the game ending was very sequel-baiting. Personally I am not the biggest fan of this when it comes to narratives (not just games, but for movies, books, comics, etc), because the medium has to be a hit for a sequel to be warranted. But JS definitely is a solid game in terms of narrative, so this is a great news for me

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Jagged Alliance 3 may be good but also Jagged Alliance 3 may be bad and we do not know yet it is a mystery.
All the JA games post JA2 have been steaming piles of shite and the JA3 dev has mostly done city builders (and so much DLC) so I'm not feeling confident at all.

OTOH, if it turns out to be both fun and not a DLC-a-thon, I'll be all over it.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
This is actually rather sad, and now I have much higher respect for classic game collectors (not that I didn't have any in the first place. Those guys are awesome!). I imagine some people might actually set up a little museum in near future. Because we know damn well none of the big companies are gonna preserve these games
ROM sites.

Games for everyone! Companies made their money off of them decades ago.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Define “make” :)

No comment on the last part of the article, other than “good luck with that”.
I mean thinking your too good for a job is a you problem, and believe me if your parents say "get a job or GTFO" you'll find a job.