General Gaming News.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I mean thinking your too good for a job is a you problem, and believe me if your parents say "get a job or GTFO" you'll find a job.
That’s not the norm anymore though.

We’ve turned into a society of enablers because everyone’s been trained to avoid confrontation and hurting people’s feelings. Although part of the problem is also parents have schedules to keep themselves and don’t have time to wait for their kids to do routine things, so rather than look negligent or dysfunctional they keep doing these things for them. Worse is when it extends into adulthood. All this is to say we’ve been setting up kids for failure before they even get started. It’s a vicious cycle that won’t be broken until our society stops being broken itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: CriticalGaming

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
That’s not the norm anymore though.

We’ve turned into a society of enablers because everyone’s been trained to avoid confrontation and hurting people’s feelings. Although part of the problem is also parents have schedules to keep themselves and don’t have time to wait for their kids to do routine things, so rather than look negligent or dysfunctional they keep doing these things for them. Worse is when it extends into adulthood. It’s a vicious cycle that won’t be broken until our society stops being broken itself.
Society definitely needs a readjustment. I'm old enough to still have been raised in an era of open bullying and harsh realities without overly concerned about feelings and whatnot. My younger sister who's ten years younger than me was very much in that era of trophies for everyone even if you lose, easy grades, no deadlines with school work, and she sort of breezed through everything in school. But as a result she has a much harder time dealing with difficulties in adult life, if she doesn't get the job she wants, or some boy takes her to a restaurant she didn't like, these things are like the end of the world for her and it's frustrating to watch because in the grand scheme of life these are incredibly pointlessly small things to get worked up over. She's also in debt over a useless degree in social science which there are no jobs for, then complains that her education isn't respected.

I dunno, I blame Social Media more than anything because I was graduating when all that sort of started with the Myspace and Facebook. A lot of people like to claim that each generation is different and most generations don't understand each other, but at the same time I think we can look at certain behaviors and aspects of generations and know they fucked up somewhere. No generation is perfect of course, but there are clearly worse off ones. What's going to be really interesting is to see the problems that will arise when these people reach middle age and they start becoming the politicians and government leaders, how much will life beat the "feelings" out of them and how much will survive.

Like Evolution, I do hope the stupid traits get killed off while the stronger and smart ideas survive to help course correct society as a whole. We'll have to see though.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Society definitely needs a readjustment. I'm old enough to still have been raised in an era of open bullying and harsh realities without overly concerned about feelings and whatnot. My younger sister who's ten years younger than me was very much in that era of trophies for everyone even if you lose, easy grades, no deadlines with school work, and she sort of breezed through everything in school. But as a result she has a much harder time dealing with difficulties in adult life, if she doesn't get the job she wants, or some boy takes her to a restaurant she didn't like, these things are like the end of the world for her and it's frustrating to watch because in the grand scheme of life these are incredibly pointlessly small things to get worked up over. She's also in debt over a useless degree in social science which there are no jobs for, then complains that her education isn't respected.

I dunno, I blame Social Media more than anything because I was graduating when all that sort of started with the Myspace and Facebook. A lot of people like to claim that each generation is different and most generations don't understand each other, but at the same time I think we can look at certain behaviors and aspects of generations and know they fucked up somewhere. No generation is perfect of course, but there are clearly worse off ones. What's going to be really interesting is to see the problems that will arise when these people reach middle age and they start becoming the politicians and government leaders, how much will life beat the "feelings" out of them and how much will survive.

Like Evolution, I do hope the stupid traits get killed off while the stronger and smart ideas survive to help course correct society as a whole. We'll have to see though.
The Arnold documentary on Netflix is good. He mentions the same thing about how hardships helped shape him and people need to stop being so concerned about feelings. It’s an extreme example but look at what he’s accomplished. Meanwhile his older brother was - believe it or not - always considered the “golden child”, always favored by their dad, stuck around the environment Arnold was desperate to escape. Eventually he turned to alcoholism and got killed drunk driving. Arnold said his sensitive nature from being coddled too much was what ultimately broke him.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The Arnold documentary on Netflix is good. He mentions the same thing about how hardships helped shape him and people need to stop being so concerned about feelings. It’s an extreme example but look at what he’s accomplished. Meanwhile his older brother was - believe it or not - always considered the “golden child”, always favored by their dad, stuck around the environment Arnold was desperate to escape. Eventually he turned to alcoholism and got killed drunk driving. Arnold said his sensitive nature from being coddled too much was what ultimately broke him.
The pursuit of a world in which nobody's feelings are ever hurt, and people don't have to work hard, and there are no problems, is just a nonsensical pipedream. And the idea that schools and parents are trying to prioritize feelings over facts and actual education is ultimately doing nothing but damage to people.

Hardships suck while you experience them. But anyone who has overcome hardships, always looks back fondly over those difficulties because they know how important that hardship is in order to get anywhere. Look at almost every successful public figure, from celebrities to athletes, there is a reason why it drives people. Comfort is the enemy of progress, when you are comfortable you have no motivation to go anywhere, which is also why people don't become CEO's of their companies or reach the highest level of promotions or whatever. Many people stop pushing once they reach a comfortable point in life, careers, relationships etc. How many marriages break apart because the couple get's too comfortable with each other and they stop trying for each other, that's how affairs happen.

Hardship, challenge, these things keep life spicy and flavorful. Sometimes the flavor isn't great, but each bit is a taste and an experience that gets you to the next one.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
At this point I hope MS buys all the bad developers and then goes bankrupt because the games are bad.
As appealing as that sounds, I highly doubt that would make Microsoft go bankrupt. They have money in so many other areas, outside the console market. Maybe make them give up on the council market, but not bankrupt.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
As appealing as that sounds, I highly doubt that would make Microsoft go bankrupt. They have money in so many other areas, outside the console market. Maybe make them give up on the council market, but not bankrupt.
I'd consider giving up on games a win at this point. Better than releasing trash once in a while.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland

The comic-book artstyle looks really cool. And do my eyes deceive me, it's an ACTUAL Xbox exclusive?
bleh. design and graphics look awesome. animation, "cinematography" and gameplay look awful.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
The pursuit of a world in which nobody's feelings are ever hurt, and people don't have to work hard, and there are no problems, is just a nonsensical pipedream. And the idea that schools and parents are trying to prioritize feelings over facts and actual education is ultimately doing nothing but damage to people.

Hardships suck while you experience them. But anyone who has overcome hardships, always looks back fondly over those difficulties because they know how important that hardship is in order to get anywhere. Look at almost every successful public figure, from celebrities to athletes, there is a reason why it drives people. Comfort is the enemy of progress, when you are comfortable you have no motivation to go anywhere, which is also why people don't become CEO's of their companies or reach the highest level of promotions or whatever. Many people stop pushing once they reach a comfortable point in life, careers, relationships etc. How many marriages break apart because the couple get's too comfortable with each other and they stop trying for each other, that's how affairs happen.

Hardship, challenge, these things keep life spicy and flavorful. Sometimes the flavor isn't great, but each bit is a taste and an experience that gets you to the next one.
Motivation is good, but as a caveat of sorts our society kinda depends on a lot of people not reaching for the highest level of personal fulfillment, so even if it were a realistic prospect it wouldn’t be functional or sustainable without some enormous levels of social engineering that we have no physical means of attaining. It’s great if people can make a living doing what they love and reach the pinnacle of their field, but even if not just being useful and doing your best regardless of occupation will usually yield good results.

Balance is also important. IE having something that enriches one’s life vs just the goal of being another AAA game publisher CEO dbag or whatever. Contentment isn’t necessarily a bad thing once one has gotten to a certain point, where they can say they’re satisfied. Having different goals and interests goes a long way. Instead of saying, “Well, I made 20 million last year, now I wanna make 30 million this year!” maybe step back and realize 20 million is pretty fucking good and use some of it to buy a nice grand piano or something and learn how to play. Buy a tricked out mountain bike, travel the world and write about the experiences. Take up photography and put the best ones in an art book to sell, idk.

I guess what I’m saying is our society uses money as pretty much the sole metric of success and value in life, but it’s really just a means to a near infinite number of ends.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Motivation is good, but as a caveat of sorts our society kinda depends on a lot of people not reaching for the highest level of personal fulfillment
I mean this is just life though right? Like life isn't fair and people aren't going to be equal in terms of most things. Whether that be mental abilties, physical, any number of things. Which means an all achieving level of personal fullfillment isn't possible either. And again that also goes back to the catering to feelings over truth and education. People have to come to terms with not reaching their dreams. A singer who can't sing is never going to be American Idol. An actor who can't act isn't going to be the next Tom Cruise. So sometimes you have to come to terms with what is reasonable in life for you.

If you spend too much time focusing on how the 1% are doing, you'll never get anywhere because you'll be too busy blaming the system and expecting the system to change itself around you. Again it ain't happening so you either figure some shit out or enjoy being stuck.

None of this is to justify the system as perfect or even society as perfect, there are always things that can change. But Utopia is not likely humans in general are far to driven to conflict for that ever to be the case.

alance is also important. IE having something that enriches one’s life vs just the goal of being another AAA game publisher CEO dbag or whatever. Contentment isn’t necessarily a bad thing once one has gotten to a certain point, where they can say they’re satisfied. Having different goals and interests goes a long way. Instead of saying, “Well, I made 20 million last year, now I wanna make 30 million this year!” maybe step back and realize 20 million is pretty fucking good
But this is basically the embodiment of never being able to be fulfilled in life as well as the drive to always do better, for yourself, for your family, whatever. I don't think anyone who was getting these kinds of paychecks would tell their company to stop paying them. No NBA star declines getting 50 million a year because they was already getting 40 million. It doesn't happen and accusing the people making millions of evil is really not productive or even really true. If everyone had the capacity for being a company head, it wouldn't be such a high paying position, but the bottom line is running a company is hard and there are a lot of factors that all have to be maintained in order for any company to remain successful, and not many people can handle that burden.

I guess what I’m saying is our society uses money as pretty much the sole metric of success and value in life, but it’s really just a means to a near infinite number of ends.
This problem is because people look at the millionaires and think that's the only metric of success. They only look at the top and get angry when they can't get there. But what's wrong with making $70k/year and having a little house in Utah or something? A plumber making $120k/year is pretty fucking successful if you ask me, but nobody is going to idolize that. It's unrealistic standards and metrics for things that people need to get over.

Fuck what other people are doing and work on yourself. - Michael Jordan probably.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I mean this is just life though right? Like life isn't fair and people aren't going to be equal in terms of most things. Whether that be mental abilties, physical, any number of things. Which means an all achieving level of personal fullfillment isn't possible either. And again that also goes back to the catering to feelings over truth and education. People have to come to terms with not reaching their dreams. A singer who can't sing is never going to be American Idol. An actor who can't act isn't going to be the next Tom Cruise. So sometimes you have to come to terms with what is reasonable in life for you.

If you spend too much time focusing on how the 1% are doing, you'll never get anywhere because you'll be too busy blaming the system and expecting the system to change itself around you. Again it ain't happening so you either figure some shit out or enjoy being stuck.

None of this is to justify the system as perfect or even society as perfect, there are always things that can change. But Utopia is not likely humans in general are far to driven to conflict for that ever to be the case.

But this is basically the embodiment of never being able to be fulfilled in life as well as the drive to always do better, for yourself, for your family, whatever. I don't think anyone who was getting these kinds of paychecks would tell their company to stop paying them. No NBA star declines getting 50 million a year because they was already getting 40 million. It doesn't happen and accusing the people making millions of evil is really not productive or even really true. If everyone had the capacity for being a company head, it wouldn't be such a high paying position, but the bottom line is running a company is hard and there are a lot of factors that all have to be maintained in order for any company to remain successful, and not many people can handle that burden.

This problem is because people look at the millionaires and think that's the only metric of success. They only look at the top and get angry when they can't get there. But what's wrong with making $70k/year and having a little house in Utah or something? A plumber making $120k/year is pretty fucking successful if you ask me, but nobody is going to idolize that. It's unrealistic standards and metrics for things that people need to get over.

Fuck what other people are doing and work on yourself. - Michael Jordan probably.

The double edged sword of Competition, and it’s the collateral damaging part of the human condition. You’re right as that also ties into social media really exacerbating the issue. Makes it easy for everything about people to be public and judged. “Oh, so and so got X? Well I better go get it too. Or maybe I’ll get Y and then I’ll be the trendsetter!” Why I never got into Facebook or any of that toxic crap.

My main point about contentment is everything has limits, and there is a such thing as too much. It’s rooted in biology as to why the human body sees free radicals as a threat to regulated cell growth. There is a quote that contentment is the only real wealth, and it’s something our materialistic, wasteful society will never understand. There are signs of adjustment though, like with population growth. Back in the day people were encouraged to just pop out kids left and right, but these days where human consumption has increasingly shown its damaging aspects most people realize one or two is enough. Some would say that we’re still trending towards too much, and in many respects they’re probably correct.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

Is this one step closer to finalizing the acquisition? Frankly IDCS what happens at this point, but I just want it to end
If the deal goes through, count on Microsoft making every last one of ActiBlizzKing's franchises XBox/PC exclusive the absolute instant that they feel like they can get away with it, and don't doubt that they'll eat some fines and court decisions as an acceptable cost.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
If the deal goes through, count on Microsoft making every last one of ActiBlizzKing's franchises XBox/PC exclusive the absolute instant that they feel like they can get away with it, and don't doubt that they'll eat some fines and court decisions as an acceptable cost.
Sony should respond by buying EA....wait nevermind, EA sucks.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Good bye Crash.....

Good bye Sebastian....

Sony should respond by buying EA....wait nevermind, EA sucks.
Yeah, I don't need a shitty version of Sega vs. Nintendo. No need for a repeat of that.

That judge is on the take.

@CriticalGaming. I know you don't have XBOX anymore, but something you should know.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

Is this one step closer to finalizing the acquisition? Frankly IDCS what happens at this point, but I just want it to end
Pretty sure they bought off the judge on this one.

Xbox head Phil Spencer, a key witness in the trial, also tweeted a reaction. “We’re grateful to the court for swiftly deciding in our favor. The evidence showed the Activision Blizzard deal is good for the industry and the FTC’s claims about console switching, multi-game subscription services, and cloud don’t reflect the realities of the gaming market,” said Spencer.

Hahahaha that’s false Phil.

Activision Blizzard has also reacted to the decision. “Our merger will benefit consumers and workers,” Bobby Kotick, Activision Blizzard’s CEO, said in a statement. “It will enable competition rather than allow entrenched market leaders to continue to dominate our rapidly growing industry.”

HAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh that’s just too rich (no pun).

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I scoff when anyone acts like the "10 years" Microsoft will exempt CoD from any exclusivity means anything. Even if they do last the whole 10 years, what about after it? Do we just pretend that COD won't matter anymore 10 years from now? I mean, we can be optimistic.

On that note, my feelings are the same as CriticalGaming. Let Microsoft ruin ActiBlizzKing like they ruin everything else they touch. And if they don't, I don't particularly care. None of the franchises I enjoy are under their grasp.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not a good sign there. Then why even bother with the remake?