Your video game hot take(s) thread

Nov 9, 2015
Well given the example of Kojima, Konami gave him so much freedom that MGSV became too expensive to justify itself and was left unfinished after 7 years.

Perhaps this is a two way street? AAA studios want to make ridiculously expensive productions, or else they wouldn't be going to Playstation or Xbox for a blank check in exchange for an exclusivity deal. I mean the artist, even the corporate one, wants to show off a pretty picture.

I get that upper management is always looking to reduce cost and increase profits, but are they the ones wanting to give studios a $100 million budget so a game can look pretty? Are they the ones asking for a grandiose game with a 16 sq. mi open world, mocapped and fully voice acted NPCs, 200 quests, and over 9000 objects? I don't know the answer to that, but to me it's out of character. Maybe they truly are just incompetent, they can make a pretty game and a decent game, but not a good one.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well given the example of Kojima, Konami gave him so much freedom that MGSV became too expensive to justify itself and was left unfinished after 7 years.
Kojima is the exception, not the rule. Still doesn't change the fact Konami are assholes, and have unfortunately mostly run by guys who don't know thing one of game design, for nearly the entire company's inception. Not to mention Konami doesn't even make games anymore, just ports. They don't get shit.

Perhaps this is a two way street? AAA studios want to make ridiculously expensive productions, or else they wouldn't be going to Playstation or Xbox for a blank check in exchange for an exclusivity deal. I mean the artist, even the corporate one, wants to show off a pretty picture.
Sometimes yes, but nowadays with most AAA, it's rarely ever a two way street. Only the illusion of a two way street.

I get that upper management is always looking to reduce cost and increase profits, but are they the ones wanting to give studios a $100 million budget so a game can look pretty? Are they the ones asking for a grandiose game with a 16 sq. mi open world, mocapped and fully voice acted NPCs, 200 quests, and over 9000 objects?
Yes, yes, and yes. While it is true there is a directorial vision for some of these games or team specific direction, it's rarely ever the case nowadays. A majority AAA industry and most of those in charge are an uroboros. They keep mindlessly justifying why the graphics have to be this pretty, the gameplay shitty or being broken at launch with. Most devs can only do what they're told, and rarely ever get the final say so in that part of the industry. They do whatever the bosses tell them.

Maybe they truly are just incompetent, they can make a pretty game and a decent game, but not a good one.
Competent in greed and failing upward.

Nov 9, 2015
Yes, yes, and yes. While it is true there is a directorial vision for some of these games or team specific direction, it's rarely ever the case nowadays. A majority AAA industry and most of those in charge are an uroboros. They keep mindlessly justifying why the graphics have to be this pretty, the gameplay shitty or being broken at launch with. Most devs can only do what they're told, and rarely ever get the final say so in that part of the industry. They do whatever the bosses tell them.
Sounds about right, especially with focus-group design.

Still I think with smaller studios being absorbed into some monolithic studio with a generic name like Blizzard Team 3 or EA Redwood Shores with a high turnover, you end up with positions always being filled with careerists. In my opinion, that's the reason why everyone hates games nowadays.

It's off topic and kind of late to ask this, but what was your old name? The one you can't enter.
The reason I can't enter it is rather boring, there's a character limit for the username. My old name was "I don't like my name anymore".

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
In my opinion, that's the reason why everyone hates games nowadays.
If "everyone" hated games, no one would bother playing them. I don't hate games. I hate or am apathetic to games that don't try or are glorified walk-a-thons. Thankfully, there's plenty out there and most I can get without the AAA space.

Drathnoxis

I love the smell of card games in the morning
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
The reason I can't enter it is rather boring, there's a character limit for the username. My old name was "I don't like my name anymore".
... And what was the name you didn't like?
If "everyone" hated games, no one would bother playing them. I don't hate games. I hate or am apathetic to games that don't try or are glorified walk-a-thons. Thankfully, there's plenty out there and most I can get without the AAA space.
That's not true. If I didn't play games, what would I have to hate?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Nintendo is guilty similar to many big game publishers where they don't want to add a new entry to the franchise that has been out for over a decade or longer, because it won't make all the money in the world. When your excuses boil down to needing to "innovate" or "costing a fortune", then you're full of crap. If you don't want to spend that much, then just make a low to mid budget title with unique and good looking aesthetics. You're Nintendo! You can more than afford a new F-Zero game! Look at Fast RMX! As much money as you made from Pokemon and Pokemon GO, put that money into a new title. You can afford a new IP just fine during 8th generation. You can afford the same with a new entry in a long running franchise. Whatever stubbornness Nintendo has, it's just another form of laziness. They're lazy.

Developers like Team Ninja, FROM, and Ninja Theory are AAA. TN & NT, have always been, despite being smaller developers. Both of their teams have grown over the years, and they've always charged a full price console generations. They definitely count. FROM didn't start out that way, and we're particularly niche, but most of their games still cost $50 back on 5th and 6th generation consoles. They became became AAA when Dark Souls became a success. With each game getting bigger in scope and content each time. They stopped being a little developer that could since Bloodborne. They are one of the few AAA that bother to try and go beyond to put in high effort and be a success.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2015
You're Nintendo! You can more than afford a new F-Zero game!
The answer could also be simply, like Mother 4, no one wants to make it. They could just hire a third party studio, but since you mentioned Team Ninja look at what happened to Other M. Look at what happened to Starfox. Look at whats happening to Metroid Prime 4.

... And what was the name you didn't like?
But I don't like my old name...

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The answer could also be simply, like Mother 4, no one wants to make it. They could just hire a third party studio, but since you mentioned Team Ninja look at what happened to Other M. Look at what happened to Starfox. Look at whats happening to Metroid Prime 4.
So in other words, laziness. I already mentioned this earlier and in a different thread. If they don't want to make it, then just be honest about it. No need for all the half-truths and lies. Or better yet, just do it Sega does, and hire a third party developer that wants to make another one. They have options. They're too lazy to do that, then that just shows how pathetic they are when it comes to actually bothering with some new ideas or just bringing back an old franchise.

Last edited:

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
This seems the closest appropriate thread for nestling a lil quibble. Oxenfree 2, why you got your review embargo set on same day as release? You're just a 2D indie narrative sidescroller, not ambitious overhyped fancy project: late embargos are for raking in early sales before customers can be informed of the technical train wreck it actually is. Was not wanting to be doubting, but now you got me doubting. Whatcha hiding back there, eh?

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
This seems the closest appropriate thread for nestling a lil quibble. Oxenfree 2, why you got your review embargo set on same day as release? You're just a 2D indie narrative sidescroller, not ambitious overhyped fancy project: late embargos are for raking in early sales before customers can be informed of the technical train wreck it actually is. Was not wanting to be doubting, but now you got me doubting. Whatcha hiding back there, eh?
That is disappointing. I really enjoyed Oxenfree and this does seem like a tiny red flag. Or, it is just Night School's default policy for reviews. I don't agree if that is policy, but I can see why a smaller studio that self publishes would have that kind of policy. Oh well, I don't buy on release day anymore anyway. I'll still just wait for the reviews. I liked Oxenfree, but I wasn't exactly sitting on pins and needles awaiting launch day.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I know in Part 1 of the video, Max talks about how never had much interests in much brawlers from the past, as "most of them were here's a punch, jump, and a few combos". While that was true for a good amount brawlers, this wasn't always the case, even before AVP Capcom. Just because you had only two buttons, doesn't mean there is not much depth, nor more couldn't be done. Look games like Streets of Rage 2 & 3, Ninja Baseball Batman, Undercover Cops, Violent Storm, or even Battle Circuit (a game Max really liked his first time playing). Most of those games only have two or three buttons with direction inputs and large move sets. I noticed tends favor heavily of brawlers that allow juggling/air juggling, air raid, or air combos of some kind. Mainly the modern brawlers of today. Fair enough, and understandable, but at least he acknowledges and understands why so many people enjoy brawlers of the past. Yes, many of them were quarter munchers, but the same can be said for most fighting games against the AI that came from the arcade or arcade school design. Having an AI read your inputs ain't much better, even if you know how to cheese the damn thing. It still costed you lots of money at some point, Kenny.

Last edited:

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
It breaks my heart but there IS a thing such as too much lore.

It's annoying because (especially in indie games) you can feel the ffort and pride and passion put in it. But sometimes it's just disproportionate, compared to the game(play), and also... you don't want to dedicate your next 150 hours to learn random fictional facts about random fictional worlds that 1) are shared by a dozen players, 2) are more or less equivalent to the dozens of imaginary world that more or less everyone has in their head (yes gloflag was the secret brother of tarnok and thus the heir of the glaargh dynasty which secretely predated the realm of wonk, but I don't care).

So, weary heart but awkward skip.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
That is disappointing. I really enjoyed Oxenfree and this does seem like a tiny red flag. Or, it is just Night School's default policy for reviews. I don't agree if that is policy, but I can see why a smaller studio that self publishes would have that kind of policy. Oh well, I don't buy on release day anymore anyway. I'll still just wait for the reviews. I liked Oxenfree, but I wasn't exactly sitting on pins and needles awaiting launch day.
Having played a bit, can say the quality appears to hold up so far for anyone who enjoyed the first game's style, which is a relief. Though before the first patch, it kept soft-locking me in perhaps the 2nd most annoying version of a crash ever - as main character models disappeared behind a closed shop to grab an item, convo halted but the game hung on that moment refusing to progress. Music/screen animation continued, It let you pause, exit the game and go back again, but that shit was not moving forward, and reloading never helped. Didn't see any review mention similar bugs, so could've been a rare one, I dunno. Worked fine after the aforementioned patch at least, though no less confident the embargo wasn't inspired by such early experience.

Reactions: Kyrian007

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Kratos has a son, Bayonetta has a daughter and Dante has a nephew. Ryu's the only one of the four iconic hack n slashers of the 2000s who doesn't have a kid that aids him on adventures or is primed to take his place. I wouldn't be surprised if Koei Tecmo finally pulls the trigger on giving him and Irene a son next time we see him.
Speaking of other brawler/h&s characters: Travis Touchdown has twins, Hunter and Jeanne (boy and girl respesctively), but I highly doubt they're getting their own No More Heroes game at all. Adam Hunter has a daughter, but the mother is unknown. Here's hoping Axel and Blaze get married and have kids by the time of Streets of Rage 5. That was going to be the case with SOR4 originally, when the concept first started in 1999.

Last edited:
Reactions: NerfedFalcon

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Borrowing this link, @FakeSympathy.

These are the actual remakes worth complaining about and calling out on being lazy! All of the Modern Warfare games don't need remakes! I don't know how certain anti-remake fans will biatch about Dead Space Remake or RE4R, but either won't say anything about COD, or go "it's the business/Activision, whatta ya gonna do?!". Fuck off you, hypocritical shits!

Reactions: FakeSympathy