Elon Musk's purchase of Twitter may soon go through

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Mr. X? Feel free to gun down Elon Musk as much you want. Do it with sadistic glee with your Tommy gun! He brings shame to all Xs everywhere!

mrxtmygn.gif

Last edited:

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
So apparently Musk tried and failed to rebrand PayPal as X.com and was kicked out because of it. He's been pushing for an edgy X for decades. What a cringe head fuck.
Also rebranding Twitter videos as XVideos sure is a thing. Can't imagine XVideos already being a thing...
...The branding and SEO hurdles of X Videos is giving me a headache. Setting aside the needless sacrifice of Twitter's enormously powerful name recognition, it's practically begging to share search results with X-rated content.

Last edited:

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Mr X? Feel free to gun down Elon Musk as much you want. Do it with sadistically with your Tommy gun! He brings shame to all Xs everywhere.
I hope for the X-Men's sake that Elon Musk doesn't exist in the Marvel Universe:LOL:.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
A specific, novel, artistic design of that letter, yes.

The firm is officially called X-Corp I think, which is probably fine as I guess no other companies are likely to have that name. There could be some issues where an existing firm has "X" in it very prominently, but if they're in different fields I doubt that would be an impediment (and Musk can always try to buy out their rights).

Chances are it's the name of a company in about a dozen books, films, games or comics but I don't see that's a major problem as they're fictional.
We,, there is a lot of trademarks and franchises that use X as an important part, yes. But he wants to name the app literally just 'X'.

But according to crimson5pheonix you really can trademark a letter ...

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
So, if hundreds already "own" the letter x, then how is this a problem for the chosen one?
If those hundreds of others aren't in litigation over it, then how does one more idiot on the pile make a difference?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
The Twitter Files are now The X Files :eek:
That explains a lot

I propose Taibbi is Scully being the pretend skeptic who believe their partner with no critical thinking and Wiess is Mulder as she is the one who believes in one thing and ignores all the other evidence to their own detriment. That makes Elon Skinner and everyone else is the smoking man who point out how wrong Mulder is all the time

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
So, if hundreds already "own" the letter x, then how is this a problem for the chosen one?
If those hundreds of others aren't in litigation over it, then how does one more idiot on the pile make a difference?
It seems no one actually owns the letter X. They basically all own only a logo that boils down to an X.

That is something twitter could do a well. But the downside is that their future trademark would only cover their logo, not even a slightly modified, inverted or off-coloer version of it. And it certainly would not be usable for any instance of X in plain text or any other medium where a logo is not present.

That makes those trademarks weak, borderline worthless. It would be difficult to use it even in cases trademark law is meant for.

Reactions: Ag3ma and BrawlMan