Your video game hot take(s) thread

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I appreciate u/BrawlMan engaging us with the discourse and I watched the video. I kinda feel bad that I don't have much to respond with. The video was kind of muddled in what it was trying to say or how it was trying to express. I guess if I can take away one thing I see it as a confirmation example of a thing I will express at any given moment: there is no such thing as "good combat" because it means something to different people.

Like he's talking about the importance of replayability and shitting on reviewers for not playing a game more than once. As we've talked about before, that's not really important to me personally and I would wager I am more common than most- we play a game then we're done, only replaying our very very very favorite games. The quickest way to turn me off is to lecture me about not having really experienced a game by "only" playing through it once... like, stfu lol (not directed at anyone here, just at generic fictional gamr dude).

u/Brawlman and I both liked Hi-Fi Rush- I played it once and was done. I learned the combat enough to get to end credits and explore levels as much as I wanted. He did post-game stuff and DLC IIRC. Did I play it wrong? No. He liked the game more than me- though I liked it fine- because of context- it's look, its theme, its style, etc. That is where subjectivity comes in. Does the game have "good" combat? Sure- it's a rhythm game. If someone tells me that it has better combat that a game I like more I'd like to ask that person to seriously think about comparing a rhythm action game to an open world RPG or whatever.

"Sekiro has the best combat ever"- a sentiment one would think I would agree with given my obsession with that game but it, like, Hi-Fi Rush, is very specific. How dare anyone make such claims?

The idea that Soulsborne games messed up people's understanding of good combat is clearly clickbait. But if it means it can make someone like me, who doesn't play a lot of hard action games and almost never replays or gets "creative" with combat, think Sekiro has "good" combat, then maybe he's kinda right, who knows. And also I do sympathize with him being annoyed at consensus, repeated opinions, which he expresses early. Then I also very much agree with u/CrtiticalGaming about his harping on reviewers for not playing a game long enough. Meh.

My own personal salt is being reprimanded on the internet for enjoying Witcher 3 or AC: Valhalla combat. Insert "stop having fun" meme.

>The reason that people like the Soulsborne games is specifically because attacks are easy to execute and the combat is relatively easy to master, but the games force you to completely master the combat system and then throw you into situations where you can only succeed through that perfect mastery. You get satisfaction through using the combat system to beat challenges, not from the combat system directly.

Sure, but also the reason people like Soulsborne games is that the combat is in a context of art, lore, world-building, exploration, etc. It's also why non-From Souls-likes rarely if ever gain traction. I mean sure there are fans of Mortal Shell or whatever but these are not the critical darlings with huge fan bases, it's a niche.

I consider Rom the Vacuous Spider from Bloodborne one of my favorite combat encounters of all time. But the mechanics are just more of what you been doing- it's the setting, what came before and after, the theme, the visualization, that makes the whole experience. And yes of course the mechanics work well to realize it otherwise it wouldn't work but it's how it all comes together.

Reactions: BrawlMan
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Hmm, so he's calling out anyone who DOESN'T experiment with all the mechanics in a game, and they can't criticize how difficult a certain boss is or the game itself is bad? And to top it off, he's blaming soulsborne games for influencing us to accept its type of combat as the norm and making us hate other action games?

That sounds like an assumption that we can't tell or enjoy different game styles, which is a complete bullshit. I'm pretty sure I enjoyed Souls, GOW, DMC 5, and Arkham games all the same. And all of them play completely differently. I didn't need to experiment with all the options I had in DMC 5 (I didn't know there were so many possibilities as pointed out in the video), but I still enjoyed it.

By the same logic he calls people out for, can't it be argued the guy is doing the same? If the game allows us to stay vanilla and basic, why can't we enjoy that. Like, what is up with this obsession of creativity beating familiarity? Does this guy even consider giving so much room for experimentation can overwhelm a player? I recently gave up on finishing BOTW and didn't even bother touching TOTK, because both games seems to actively punish me for not being creative by making everything more challenging.

And I'm willing to bet this guy haven't touched games that are REALLY dull in terms of combat; Thor: God of Thunder (The 2011 movie tie-in game), Witcher 1 (great story tho), The 2021 Avengers game, and a bunch of other games I probably can't think of right now.
Heyyyy…Witcher 1 had pretty awesome rhythm combat….*cricket sounds*. But really I actually didn’t mind it since it was literally my first CRPG.

Anyways the video…I get what he’s getting at, that old school hack n slash action games he feels are being underrepresented or misrepresented often have intrinsically higher skill ceilings than other more “modern” action-esque games that seem to be journalist darlings, but that’s really no different than the FGC being its own hardcore thing separate from the mainstream appeal of many fighting games. The average player won’t even know or care about frame data, and even if journalists made a point of covering this stuff in depth, you can only lead a horse to water. So much of game journalism is at a plateau that should not be the end-all, be-all of anything. The rest usually gets caught up in and spun amongst respective fanatics into internet pissing contests.

The video would be more effective if it stuck to objective commentary but ends up devolving into psychobabble and meme jokes to veil the conjecture. For example much of the the games he mentions that “force the player to use their moves” or “everything in their toolkit” is nonsensical, because none of the examples he said journalists fawn over do that either. They all allow for experimentation, but the focus is less on style/combos and more on what kills enemies more effectively. Saying people are playing these games like it’s “a job” vs “an experience” is just opinionated heresy that could be flipped either way depending on who’s watching.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Anyways the video…I get what he’s getting at, that old school hack n slash action games he feels are being underrepresented or misrepresented often have intrinsically higher skill ceilings than other more “modern” action-esque games that seem to be journalist darlings, but that’s really no different than the FGC being its own hardcore thing separate from the mainstream appeal of many fighting games. The average player won’t even know or care about frame data, and even if journalists made a point of covering this stuff in depth, you can only lead a horse to water. So much of game journalism is at a plateau that should not be the end-all, be-all of anything. The rest usually gets caught up in and spun amongst respective fanatics into internet pissing contests.
That's what had me really concerned. It's the crap I got tired of hearing of in the GameFAQs forums of DMC and such. It's the same FCG bull crap all over again.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
he's mad at all of us for not playing the way he does so that game companies make more games like that.
Which is a weird request and a foolish argument. There are plenty of action games like DMC or Bayonetta on the market. Hell, before DMC 5 came out there were plenty of stylish action games cropping up on Steam left and right. It started off slow, but it didn't take too long to pick up. Then more definitely came afterward when DMC 5 came out. Nobody is hurting for options, and he clearly has many of these games and easy access to them, so he really hasn't lost anything. I miss certain eras of gaming as well, but I'm not going to constantly live in the past and try to have certain games constantly cater to me, nor try to "restore the pecking order"/"go back to the way things used to be".

Last edited:
Reactions: NerfedFalcon

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Also, Amored Core 6 will apparently will have the design philosophy of experimenting with different weapons and gears. If you stick with one type, you will not have a fun time.

BUUUTTT at the same time, there won't me any stat requirements to equip them. I am really hoping even if it has some sort of skill tree/upgrade paths for them, the players can enjoy the game exactly the same without doing so and stick with basic movements

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Also, Amored Core 6 will apparently will have the design philosophy of experimenting with different weapons and gears. If you stick with one type, you will not have a fun time.

BUUUTTT at the same time, there won't me any stat requirements to equip them. I am really hoping even if it has some sort of skill tree/upgrade paths for them, the players can enjoy the game exactly the same without doing so and stick with basic movements
Yeah and I think it was SkillUp's vid that said money is pretty easy to come by so between that, the ability to change setup at checkpoints mid-mission, and how easy it seems to switch around, for sure it looks like they want you to try out different things. Normally I'm not into menus and stats but if it's easy to swap stuff and that is part of the core gameplay, I'm down.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
>The reason that people like the Soulsborne games is specifically because attacks are easy to execute and the combat is relatively easy to master, but the games force you to completely master the combat system and then throw you into situations where you can only succeed through that perfect mastery. You get satisfaction through using the combat system to beat challenges, not from the combat system directly.

Sure, but also the reason people like Soulsborne games is that the combat is in a context of art, lore, world-building, exploration, etc. It's also why non-From Souls-likes rarely if ever gain traction. I mean sure there are fans of Mortal Shell or whatever but these are not the critical darlings with huge fan bases, it's a niche.

I consider Rom the Vacuous Spider from Bloodborne one of my favorite combat encounters of all time. But the mechanics are just more of what you been doing- it's the setting, what came before and after, the theme, the visualization, that makes the whole experience. And yes of course the mechanics work well to realize it otherwise it wouldn't work but it's how it all comes together.
Well...yes, but the video was about combat systems so I focused on combat systems. Obviously things like art direction, level design, etc also has a direct effect on whether people enjoy a game (Godhand has a super cool combat system but has ugly visuals and terrible voice acting so no one wants to play it, even though it's a very fun game).

Reactions: FakeSympathy

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Nothing wrong with an action game or a game in general having a simpler combat system. A game can still be fun, challenging, and complex. DMC1's combat system while having variety at the time, was pretty simple by the mid 2000s when Ninja Gaiden, God of War, and other stylish action games started showing up. DMC3 showed how lethargic DMC1 Dante actually was. The game is still the fun to play, but I can see how hard it is for newer gamers to get used to the first game.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
(Godhand has a super cool combat system but has ugly visuals and terrible voice acting so no one wants to play it, even though it's a very fun game).
We've been through this already: the voice acting ain't even close to terrible. Slightly stilted in some places, but not terrible. Art direction is between decent and average. I will defend the character designs though. Shinji and Clover Studios knew what they were doing.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

I’m thinking it’ll be more like Sekiro’s prosthetics in a way, where they all had specific uses and using the same one constantly could wind up counterproductive in some instances. So with the gameplay preview explaining how they’ll be encouraging different configurations to help succeed, and sidelining stat requirements, that sounds like a good thing overall.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I'm sharing this article here instead of the "articles" thread because it's sort of related to my general thinking of both Starfield and Baldur's Gate 3, and why I've switched my hype from the former to that latter:

Basically I'm in the mood for a deep story like Mass Effect, Witcher or Dragon Age and Starfield was one top candidate for that because of Bethesda's history. But then I realize that I also criticize clinging to the past as a redemptive arc for future game design. Meaning- the whole Bioware/Bethesda story thing was great... back then... but it's now, you know?

Baldur's Gate 3 of course also harkens to past with its use of D&D but- if it is really really good- can use technology to offered by modern PC's and consoles to really blow it out into something unique.
Now this article is talking about it being the next Bioware and focuses on romances. I think that is a very unimaginative way to look at it- better if it's something new. Could it set a new gold standard for deep video game story telling, by simple virtue of combining the best of video games and table-top role playing? That is putting too much pressure one game but it's fun to imagine the potential.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm sharing this article here instead of the "articles" thread because it's sort of related to my general thinking of both Starfield and Baldur's Gate 3, and why I've switched my hype from the former to that latter:

Basically I'm in the mood for a deep story like Mass Effect, Witcher or Dragon Age and Starfield was one top candidate for that because of Bethesda's history. But then I realize that I also criticize clinging to the past as a redemptive arc for future game design. Meaning- the whole Bioware/Bethesda story thing was great... back then... but it's now, you know?

Baldur's Gate 3 of course also harkens to past with its use of D&D but- if it is really really good- can use technology to offered by modern PC's and consoles to really blow it out into something unique.
Now this article is talking about it being the next Bioware and focuses on romances. I think that is a very unimaginative way to look at it- better if it's something new. Could it set a new gold standard for deep video game story telling, by simple virtue of combining the best of video games and table-top role playing? That is putting too much pressure one game but it's fun to imagine the potential.
While I do wish the best for all Baulder's Gate 3, keep in mind that this is Polygon we are talking about. They're known for doing glorified "think pieces" and a bunch of "ifs and what ifs", adding unnecessary and unrealistic hype and pressure.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
While I do wish the best for all Baulder's Gate 3, keep in mind that this is Polygon we are talking about. They're known for doing glorified "think pieces" and a bunch of "ifs and what ifs", adding unnecessary and unrealistic hype and pressure.
Yeah... like I said that's why I didn't put it in the articles thread, cause it's not really good lol. It just made me think of the wider topic about story-heavy games.

Also what triggered that is yesterday's episode of Breakout where they were going through games that take a while to get going, and what is acceptable or worth it, etc (largely inspired by them playing FF16). And it's this whole balance of story and gameplays and interaction that is kind of at the heart of so many games for me, and I kind of wonder where new tech, consoles, and all the mergers lead us to.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

I think the Bioware/Bethesda RPG is dated and needs modern evolutions. The characters staring blankly at each other and spitting dialog at each other or the player is and outdated system.

Though the evolution doesn't need to be that advanced. Just do what the Witcher 3 does and implement a dialog animation system so that the characters will gesture and look around, small things to breathe life into the dialog scenes. The Witcher did it 8 years ago so it shouldn't be a problem for these companies to do today.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Also what triggered that is yesterday's episode of Breakout where they were going through games that take a while to get going, and what is acceptable or worth it, etc (largely inspired by them playing FF16). And it's this whole balance of story and gameplays and interaction that is kind of at the heart of so many games for me, and I kind of wonder where new tech, consoles, and all the mergers lead us to.
Yeah, I didn't see that one. I missed a couple for a while now. Then again, I usually only go for the ones that interests me.

I think the Bioware/Bethesda RPG is dated and needs modern evolutions. The characters staring blankly at each other and spitting dialog at each other or the player is and outdated system.

Though the evolution doesn't need to be that advanced. Just do what the Witcher 3 does and implement a dialog animation system so that the characters will gesture and look around, small things to breathe life into the dialog scenes. The Witcher did it 8 years ago so it shouldn't be a problem for these companies to do today.
Speaking of which:

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Yeah, I didn't see that one. I missed a couple for a while now. Then again, I usually only go for the ones that interests me.

Speaking of which:

Bleh. They are VIDEOGAMES.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Bleh. They are VIDEOGAMES.

Fair point, but the era of gaming between 2004-2013ish saw an increase in tech on games that, while impressive for the time, fall into the uncanny valley level of realism where the games couldn't age very well. God of War 2018 will age well because we are at a level now where that sort of hyperrealism works and is fine. Prior to 2004, from early 3d back all the way to text and pixel art, though all also age well because there isn't really attempts at realism and more artistic versions of story presentation.

It's one of those things where it wasn't really good when it was new, but it was the best we had at the time and it was novel then, but now we have better so developers cannot continue to use those tricks because they look bad now and break the immersion of the game even worse.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
fall into the uncanny valley level of realism where the games couldn't age very well. God of War 2018 will age well because we are at a level now where that sort of hyperrealism works and is fine.
As much as I love both of the Norse God of War games, Kratos still can't jump and enemies still do that sliding to componsate for thei running speed to catch up to the player when attacking from far away. So you still got uncanny valley in that regard. Everything else, Norse GoW will age fine, but you still need to have the game fully updated to get NG+ and everything that comes with, Neither games had NG+ at the start after beating the main story.

Fair point, but the era of gaming between 2004-2013ish saw an increase in tech on games that, while impressive for the time, fall into the uncanny valley level of realism where the games couldn't age very well.
Pretty much any game that tried to aim for "realism" or hyper realism will age badly within a year or two, or even within the same month. That's why any game with non-realistic or stylistic art direction usually age better and the best. There are cel-shaded games from PS1, Dreamcast, and PS2/GC/XBOX days that still look good and look even better when put through an HD converter. Ironic, because for the past few years, there have been plenty of indie and a few AA games, using 5th generation games as their inspiration for throwback games. Either looking a PS1 or N64 game.