What are you currently playing?

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Started Cult of the Lamb, it's got a pretty nice style but I'm not sure the gameplay really comes together. I've beaten the first Bishop playing on hard mode from the start, and since I've only died once (second run, really dumb mistake) I decided to bump the difficulty up to max. But now that I'm actually dying I'm starting to see some flaws. Mainly it's really kind of annoying to keep having to go back and manage the cult for 10 minutes after every failed run when I didn't get many resources and just want to try the dungeon again. Managing the cult just kind of feels like busywork actually, there isn't a lot of depth to it and there's too much 'hold down a button for 5 seconds at about 20 different spots'.
i think if the game were longer i’d agree with you but its medium length and how much i very liked the visuals and art (plusi never bother with harder difficulties) made the back and forth between management sim and dungeon crawling really work for me.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
More DMC5:SE. With everything in the special edition, the DLC breakers/weapons are just given to you at the start, or are unlocked later at certain points. Not counting the story specific ones. It's been a while, so it is hard to remember what unlocked on my first playthrough back on PS4. I like V, but I do admit that his gameplay does come up a bit shallow compared Stand/Mage/Familiar Summon type characters in a hack n slash. See Seig from Chaos Legion, the Protag Twins from Astral Chain, or how Bayonetta's Demon Slave summons work in Bayonetta 3. V is pretty much a game breaker on easier difficulties too, and is free SSS style points whenever using him. I try not to upgrade too much, because I want focus on getting most of Nero's stuff.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I have warmed up to Wolfenstein II. Mostly because they kept all the cool upgrades for later into the game. Hey game devs, if your "upgrades" elevate the game from a boring, bullet spongey mess to just basically functional, then maybe just give us them from the get go. For some bizarre reason the SMG in the game is still a piece of shit, but there's a bunch of other weapons now so it's fine.

Now that BJ is finally done worrying about dying (I can't even recall if they said why he was dying), the story is so much more bearable. The voice acting is top notch, and the zany is cast suits this world so well. I love how all your allies are so wildly diverse, because that's exactly what the Nazis want to wipe out.

There are still a bunch of nitpicks though. Levels are far too big when making a ruckus draws literally every single enemy to your position. At that point, you're in a room with a pile of dead guys and a big empty level full of drawers you need to search. I don't really care about collectibles, but the weapon upgrades are sprinkled around and I hate to think I left them behind.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Death's Door is gonna be on PS+ in August. I loved this game and highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't played it if you like a cute but engaging sort of... I dunno.. Metroidvania/Zelda-like, I guess?

Me, I'm gonna try some demos.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart came out on steam, couldn't resist since no one besides nintendo seems to make classic style platformers anymore, at least with a big budget. It looks great and it runs great. I was kinda concerned since the last few sony pc releases have been... iffy. As for gameplay, I assume it plays like the other Ratchet and Clank games do, third person running platforming and shooting. Controls well, the rift mechanics are cool the guns are creative and neat and feel good even though the enemies so far are easy to deal with and don't seem to take enough damage to take out despite how big they are. The only issues I've had so far aren't really issues, just things I noticed since Sony advertised the game, back in the day as only being able to run on the ps4 or 5 because of the rift mechanics. I noticed that when the game really starts using the portals to go to other worlds one after another there is a slight hitch in the otherwise smooth frame rate as assets are loaded, not enough to really impact things but I do notice it even though its less then a second.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
I just tried ESO after getting it free on EGS (thanks Chimpzy).

Basically just a really crap version of Skyrim that you can't mod to improve. Still, it was free, so nothing lost but a few hours of my evening.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
I do have to give the character creator some credit. You can make something other than a buff guy or Amazon.
I suppose so, but after playing Skyrim with a modlist that could reach halfway to the sun, it does seem very limited. At least they sorted out the standard Bethesda potato face people, you can easily create a character that doesn't look like it has been the result of several centuries of inbreeding.

I was basically expecting it to be a crap version of Skyrim, but it felt even crapper than I expected.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I was basically expecting it to be a crap version of Skyrim, but it felt even crapper than I expected.
Yeah, it's basically an MMO with Elder Scrolls flavoring. Even the faction system is absolute trash shoehorned in for easy PvP excuses. "Sure, we Dunmer enslaved Argonians for centuries, but we're totally allies and best buds now!"

Reactions: Zykon TheLich

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
i think if the game were longer i’d agree with you but its medium length and how much i very liked the visuals and art (plusi never bother with harder difficulties) made the back and forth between management sim and dungeon crawling really work for me.
I noticed that the game has a roadmap listed and has increased cult depth as a goal to be completed 'mid 2023'. Seeing as we're mid 2023 now, I might as well hold off on playing the game any more until this is released.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Played the Sea of Stars demo. Story is of course hard to tell, though the tiny bits that bled through seemed charming enough. It's obviously aiming straight at the Chrono Trigger/Golden Sun/Secret of Mana nostalgia, and honestly does a pretty god job there, whilse also fleshing out some of the kinks in the combat system and improving on it without completely turning it into an insane complexity mess as some other similar modern attempts have. Though I didn't really figure out how to actually play into it until literally the final boss of the demo lol (thats on me for not reading the manual)

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Stayed up until 2 AM because my friends invited me to play Minecraft.

Building a cherry blossom themed house was actually really fun, but if my friends hadn't already basically created a self sustaining utopia, I would have never been able to do this on my own.

And once the high of building a house dues down, not really sure what I'll even be doing in this game. I'm not the type to make my own fun in games. But it's been a stressful time at work so it was still really great to relax and unwind with friends. Maybe next time I won't stay up so late though.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Stayed up until 2 AM because my friends invited me to play Minecraft.

Building a cherry blossom themed house was actually really fun, but if my friends hadn't already basically created a self sustaining utopia, I would have never been able to do this on my own.

And once the high of building a house dues down, not really sure what I'll even be doing in this game. I'm not the type to make my own fun in games. But it's been a stressful time at work so it was still really great to relax and unwind with friends. Maybe next time I won't stay up so late though.
I love Minecraft, but like any survival game, it gets boring to me once I have the immediate food/shelter issues solved. It doesn't help that every last world the game generates for me is dull as dishwater.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
DMC5SE - Finished Devil Hunter mode and I'm jumping straight into Legendary Dark Knight Mode! The best Musou/Dynstat Warriors game ever made! It's ssoooo gooooooooddddddddddd!!! Makes the game all the more easier to unlock moves and so many RORBS (RED ORBS)! Just shove the tube down my mouth! Successfully using Nero's super moves or charged breakers on an army of demons brings a pleasure I can't even describe!

Reactions: NerfedFalcon

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I love Minecraft, but like any survival game, it gets boring to me once I have the immediate food/shelter issues solved. It doesn't help that every last world the game generates for me is dull as dishwater.
The funny thing is, I wouldn't play Minecraft at all if I had to start from the beginning. I was more than happy to just let my friends do all the heavy lifting. By the time I got to the game, they'd basically unlocked creative mode already.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I have just started playing The Wonderful 101 Remastered on the Ps4 and already I'm really bothered by something. I have voices set to Japanese and subtitles on English as is only proper for playing a Japanese game, but the subtitles are too slow! Like, I don't even know what's going on. The text crawls slowly onto the screen, so slowly that it's still going well after the guy is already done talking and then gets cut off mid-sentence when the next bit of dialogue starts. How is it even like this? Was it tested at all?

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I noticed that the game has a roadmap listed and has increased cult depth as a goal to be completed 'mid 2023'. Seeing as we're mid 2023 now, I might as well hold off on playing the game any more until this is released.
There was a pretty bid update recently... don't remember what was in it but maybe the update you're waiting for already happened?
I dunno cause as much as I liked the game, it's not one I have any desire to go back to (as is true for the vast majority of games I play).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Double Dragon Gaiden - I have to say: I love this rouge-lite! Not to mention, it's my first rouge-lite brawler! Technically my first was Mr. X's Nightmare from SOR4, but that's a separate bonus mode. DD Gaiden entire campaign is built around it. For my first playthrough I chose Jimmy and Marian, while my boss order was: Okada, Triangle Gang, Duke, and finally Willy! You can choose any stage you want, but the further you go, the more elaborate stages get, and bosses become harder with different phases. Willy for example, uses an attack helicopter, if you do his stage last! He never does this if you select him first or early.

Marian is fun to play and almost a game breaker, except she can't take a hit for shit. She's the glass cannon of the group. You have special attacks you can combo end to and tag out with another character to chain combos together. Your Tag Meter and Special Meter used the same bar, and the bar has to be full to tag. SP attacks can be performed with simple directional inputs, and there is a run button too. After beating each section and stage, you will get 1 of 3 random upgrades to choose per character. From increased health, doing more damage, SP regeneration, etc. What's cool about the levels changing is that platforming gets more elaborate is actually....good. Platforming in a DD game is actually good for once, and not just average, basic, or very terrible.

You can adjust the difficulty parameters however you like. Obviously, the harder you make the game, the more rewards you get. Even on the default setting, the challenges rises quickly, and you are given a lot. There is an alternative ending, if you choose continue after beating all 4 stages, but I am going to wait on that. Quitting after beating all of the regular stage, let's you end the game with $10,000 bonus added to your overall cash. The cash is converted into tokens to unlock characters, art, music, and tips. I focusing on unlocking characters first.

Some minor complaints: when you character gets hit, they will sometimes be knocked back hard. I say this, because when you are near bottomless pits, they suffer from Belmont/Ryu Hyabusa knockback disease! You can do the same to enemies and bosses, the player characters seem to go further they should at times. Some enemies are overpowered, if you're not careful, and I don't care much for the fat guys. Nor enemies like the rats and scorpions. Thankfully, those got down quickly; especially if you have Marian. There is no online as well, but that will come as later update, and it does not bother me at all.

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Double Dragon Gaiden - I have to say: I love this rouge-lite! Not to mention, it's my first rouge-lite brawler! Technically my first was Mr. X's Nightmare from SOR4, but that's a separate bonus mode. DD Gaiden entire campaign is built around it. For my first playthrough I chose Jimmy and Marian, while my boss order was: Okada, Triangle Gang, Duke, and finally Willy! You can choose any stage you want, but the further you go, the more elaborate stages get, and bosses become harder with different phases. Willy for example, uses an attack helicopter, if you do his stage last! He never does this if you select him first or early.

Marian is fun to play and almost a game breaker, except she can't take a hit for shit. She's the glass cannon of the group. You have special attacks you can combo end to and tag out with another character to chain combos together. Your Tag Meter and Special Meter used the same bar, and the bar has to be full to tag. SP attacks can be performed with simple directional inputs, and there is a run button too. After beating each section and stage, you will get 1 of 3 random upgrades to choose per character. From increased health, doing more damage, SP regeneration, etc. What's cool about the levels changing is that platforming gets more elaborate is actually....good. Platforming in a DD game is actually good for once, and not just average, basic, or very terrible.

You can adjust the difficulty parameters however you like. Obviously, the harder you make the game, the more rewards you get. Even on the default setting, the challenges rises quickly, and you are given a lot. There is an alternative ending, if you choose continue after beating all 4 stages, but I am going to wait on that. Quitting after beating all of the regular stage, let's you end the game with $10,000 bonus added to your overall cash. The cash is converted into tokens to unlock characters, art, music, and tips. I focusing on unlocking characters first.

Some minor complaints: when you character gets hit, they will sometimes be knocked back hard. I say this, because when you are near bottomless pits, they suffer from Belmont/Ryu Hyabusa knockback disease! You can do the same to enemies and bosses, the player characters seem to go further they should at times. Some enemies are overpowered, if you're not careful, and I don't care much for the fat guys. Nor enemies like the rats and scorpions. Thankfully, those got down quickly; especially if you have Marian. There is no online as well, but that will come as later update, and it does not bother me at all.
Oh that's pretty cool. I only played the original Double Dragon on NES, I haven't kept up with any of the series. And the word Gaiden in the title has something to do with like Ninja Gaiden?