General Gaming News.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The next Final Fantasy XIV expansion will be called Dawntrail, and will feature what looks like a nice chill trip to the game's version of South America. Given that the last expansion was a big bombastic ending to the game's story that started in A Realm Reborn, a back-to -basics trip to a new land sounds very appealing.

Edit: Teaser trailer

At the next patch they will be expanding the ever increasing free trial to include the second expansion, Stormblood, in addition to the base game and the first expansion Heavensward which are already in the free trial.
Yes yes yes all of this in my mouth please!!!!!

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012

Despite being a sequel, apparently all your bought goodies will be usable in both (and they seem to imply PoE 1 will still be playable/possibly get updates)

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Despite being a sequel, apparently all your bought goodies will be usable in both (and they seem to imply PoE 1 will still be playable/possibly get updates)
Now that is how you treat your customers right. You see that Activision-Blizzard?
No one answer that, it is rhetorical.

Proceeds to use DmC (2013) trailer for Devil May Cry, and none of the original/current continuity.... :cautious: The editor or whoever's in charge needs to get pimp smacked for that. Due note that the confirmed rumors for the Netflix DMC adaption will be using the original continuity, and not the reboot has been out in the open for years.

Why do you care now, Microsoft? People have been doing this since OG XBOX day one!

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I'm surprised the sequel came out that fast! Hopefully they have voice acting for the characters this time. I haven't looked at the trailer yet.

So Rondo/Symphony with bits of Bloodlines thrown in there?

I'm guessing? I know the series isn't remotely following the games as far as the timeline is concerned but it Considering Elizabeth Bathony is the Villian this time and she apparently stoked WW1 to get some sweet blood magic, this doesn't seem that far off, just in the 1790s French Revolution timeline.

Okay, checking the wiki Symphony/Rondo take place in 1792 so that's right on the money as far as time period goes.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So Rondo/Symphony with bits of Bloodlines thrown in there?

I'm guessing? I know the series isn't remotely following the games as far as the timeline is concerned but it Considering Elizabeth Bathony is the Villian this time and she apparently stoked WW1 to get some sweet blood magic, this doesn't seem that far off, just in the 1790s French Revolution timeline.

Okay, checking the wiki Symphony/Rondo take place in 1792 so that's right on the money as far as time period goes.
Yeah, it's mainly adapting Rondo of Blood, but I am sure elements of Symphony will be snuck in there. I am surprised they're using Bathony as the main villain, but I am not complaining, since TV series is going in a completely different, but some similar direction of the games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Yeah, it's mainly adapting Rondo of Blood, but I am sure elements of Symphony will be snuck in their. I am surprised they're using Bathony as the main villain, but I am not complaining, since TV series is going in a completely different, but some similar direction of the games.
I can only imagine someone was a big fan of Bloodlines and wanted to get Bathony in there somehow, and Vamps are normally immortal so why not?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Please do.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

Holy shit, this might be an amazing accomplishment if it happens
Would it? iirc weren't people running older game in minecraft or something like that?

Also seems like a bit of a waste, if you have a couple of super programmer, maybe don't have them spend their time on a feature that almost nobody would use (why go trough the trouble of login into an mmo to play a game that's almost certainly available on w/e your playing it on). More interesting would be making the older FF game an actual part of the mmo, playing trough the story and dungeon but using the MMO system, could make for some cool content in between expansion.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Guys, I think the main issue is the server-side component. Combined with Squeenix's batshit convoluted backend and server design decisions made over a decade ago, it's probably a tad more complicated than just booting Final Fantasy 6 up on your local computer or personal server instance

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Guys, I think the main issue is the server-side component. Combined with Squeenix's batshit convoluted backend and server design decisions made over a decade ago, it's probably a tad more complicated than just booting Final Fantasy 6 up on your local computer or personal server instance
Oh sure, but at the end of the day its exactly the same for the user side, so why waste the man power designing it?

Either the user has to buy them, in which case there's no advantages compare to just buying them standalone, or they're free, in which case SE is using programmer time to develop something that they won't see any return on (why would someone buy the game and subscribe to play something they could just buy them standalone?).

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Oh sure, but at the end of the day its exactly the same for the user side, so why waste the man power designing it?

Either the user has to buy them, in which case there's no advantages compare to just buying them standalone, or they're free, in which case SE is using programmer time to develop something that they won't see any return on (why would someone buy the game and subscribe to play something they could just buy them standalone?).
One thing that stands out to me is the fact that.....all of those games all already available standalone, so why would you really want to spend your FFXIV playtime playing them inside FFXIV? I mean, I guess if you already did all the FFXIV stuff available and was waiting for new content but you could also just...buy the actual game and play it on your switch or whatever when you otherwise can't play FFXIV?

If someone wants to spend their FFXIV time playing FFIII or whatever, that's up to them but I'm not sure how many people this really appeals to.

Reactions: meiam and BrawlMan