Share some things that make you smile!

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
This quote from Margaret Thatcher:

"If my critics saw me walking over the Thames, they would say it was because I couldn't swim."

I really, really, REALLY love this quote. It encapsulates so succinctly such a generally applicable ideal, particularly in the modern era. It's perfect. Nothing is ever good enough, especially for those who expect/want you to fail. I know jack shit about Margaret Thatcher, her policies, stances, or politics, and at this point I don't want to know any of those things. As it stands, I think I'd like to have had a beer with her; I'd hate to look her up only to find she's a Nazi sympathizer, teetotaler, or some other atrocious shit. I'm taking her words at their objective value, and they might just make my tombstone.
Thatcher is if nothing else an interesting historical figure; but a good line is a good line.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Thatcher is if nothing else an interesting historical figure; but a good line is a good line.
Yeah, she's probably the 3rd most famous British PM, after Churchill and whoever the current one is whenever this is measured. Probably about equal with Earl gray, but most people only think of him as a tea.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Yeah, she's probably the 3rd most famous British PM, after Churchill and whoever the current one is whenever this is measured. Probably about equal with Earl gray, but most people only think of him as a tea.
The three that I figure most people can name right off are Churchill, Chamberlain and Thatcher. If you watch Black Adder, you'd probably pick up Pitt the Elder.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
This gin is the product of my favorite Formula 1 driver (Valtteri Bottas) and his girlfriend (Tiffany Cromwell.) A friend of ours visited Finland recently, and before he left, I asked him to try and find this for me. My expectations were low, but yesterday, he invited us out for drinks only to slide this bottle across the table to me. I can't believe it. I won't be opening it. As much as I want to taste it, this is a keepsake. Another friend is slated to go to Finland (what are the odds?) in October. If he can get me another bottle, I'll drink that one, but this one? This one is my keeper. @McElroy, I am absolutely stupid happy right now.

1691760138262.png

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
This gin is the product of my favorite Formula 1 driver (Valtteri Bottas) and his girlfriend (Tiffany Cromwell.) A friend of ours visited Finland recently, and before he left, I asked him to try and find this for me. My expectations were low, but yesterday, he invited us out for drinks only to slide this bottle across the table to me. I can't believe it. I won't be opening it. As much as I want to taste it, this is a keepsake. Another friend is slated to go to Finland (what are the odds?) in October. If he can get me another bottle, I'll drink that one, but this one? This one is my keeper. @McElroy, I am absolutely stupid happy right now.

View attachment 9408
If I use that to make a Bloody Mary, does it become Bloody Oath?

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
So, walking the dog today I saw something and thought to myself "heh, that small branch on the ground over there kinda looks like an echidna."

Then I thought "wow, when the wind blows through the leaves it really looks like an echidna."

Then I got a bit closer.

Echidna.jpg

Turns out the reason it looked like an echidna is because it was.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I've seen some echidnas (is that the plural?) in my old neighbourhood, but never was able to get a photo. I did talk to them, so I can say I've had a conversation (of sorts) with an animal weirder than most imaginary cryptids while walking home.