Funny Events of the "Woke" world

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Its such a wild ride reading a comment like the one above. How on earth did it start here--

TLDR: Korean fans of Genshin attacked/disliked Genshin's video about a Genshin French character
--and end up here?

And six I have had a girlfriend but I broke up with her.
It's just magic. Incredible to read.

Reactions: Jarrito3002

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Its such a wild ride reading a comment like the one above. How on earth did it start here--

--and end up here?

It's just magic. Incredible to read.
You, people, do like your personal attacks.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
1691841175391.png

Oh great countries with people I hate more than liberals in America who virtue signal.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

Okay, I'll bite... Why do you hate Australians, Canadians and Swedes?
Australia spams coal mines which makes climate change worse and has a cost of living crisis in Sydney, and their people do nothing about it. Their conservative MPS and PMS are all climate enablers. My aunt is a millionaire, and their children have very good jobs but struggle to make ends meet due to the cost of living crisis.

I could write a book on how bad Canada's real estate crisis is. Basically, the Canadian elites have wielded themselves to make money off of it, and therefore back it in public policy, and are more neoliberal than the Americans. And the Alberta tar sands are some of the worst carbon creation projects in the world. And they kept reelecting Trudeau who is just awful vs the NDP.

Sweden has political correctness on steroids, if you even mention a center-right idea you get people thinking you acting in bad faith. The problem is they aren't good at assimilating immigrants, and I don't blame the immigrant since very few people across the world use Swedish anyways. Plus they slack off with regards to security policy in the Cold War, and didn't join NATO, their UN secretary-general was naive enough to get killed likely by the Americans when he could have played his cards right and dealt with third-world poverty. Swedes are both naive and politically correct about international relations.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
You, people, do like your personal attacks.
No, no, he has a point. That post was a wild ride of self-derailment. Without considering whether any of what you said was right or wrong, the segues from Genshin Impact to a list of all societal problems to a bunch of your personal credentials were sudden and jarring.

Reactions: Jarrito3002

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Australia spams coal mines which makes climate change worse and has a cost of living crisis in Sydney, and their people do nothing about it. Their conservative MPS and PMS are all climate enablers. My aunt is a millionaire, and their children have very good jobs but struggle to make ends meet due to the cost of living crisis.
Okay, that got weirdly convoluted... can't say as I really disagree with any of that but hating 26 million+ people for that seems a bit drastic. I'm usre if we all pull together as a nation we'll get over your disapproval.

The coal thing... Hey look, the US produces more coal than Australia does... So do China, India and Indonesia. Dun dun dunnnnnnn...

As for the conservatives... heh... The LNP lost the last federal election in part because their climate and environmental policies alientated a significant chunk of their moderate supporters (along with their corruption, certain hard-right policies and general lack of leadership during national emergencies) who, in turn, decided to vote for other candidates (notably independent conservatives who supported positive action on climate and environmental issues).

Sydney? It's a massive shithole that should be pushed into the sea. The whole country is having a lost of living crisis, exascerbated by the fact that there's a housing shortage in Australia so a lot of people got themselves in debt up to the eyeballs just to put a roof over their heads... not that anyone cared when it was just the working-poor that that were getting fucked over but now even the well heeled are having trouble making ends meet it's suddenly the end of the world.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
The coal thing... Hey look, the US produces more coal than Australia does... So do China, India and Indonesia. Dun dun dunnnnnnn...
If it makes you feel better they are not high on my climate bucket list either.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands

TLDR: Korean fans of Genshin attacked/disliked Genshin's video about a Genshin French character because they created a femboy, and there were now more male characters in Sumeru. Which I don't care about since A that's what makes Genshin good because of the diversity of characters. And it's funny my favorite characters in the game which I mainly are XQ, and Kazuha. But the thing that ticked me off was Western (American) liberals going around with a holy than thou morality policing on that video arguing Korean men were incels. ***** get out of here, most Americans live paycheck to paycheck, have no healthcare, and have work hours as crazy as the Japanese. You know what's worse than an incel. Having no healthcare, living in a country that thinks a billionaire wannabe (Obama) was a good president when he likely lead to hundreds of millions of climate deaths via climate inaction in the future unless we fucking terraform the planet(liberals). I am not even going to mention Iraq, Afgastainstan, Brexit, Coal in Australia and fucking Alberta oil sands, and NZ real estate barons that will one-day rival hong kong real estate barons. Why don't these so-called liberals who only virtue signal about LGTBQ rights distract us from having a real conversation on economic issues like healthcare, and taxes on the rich. Or even just climate change which will kill hundreds of millions of brown people who they purport to care about.

So before the personal attacks come from angry liberals. One I did vote for Shillary, and Biden, two I make much more than the average wage in my country, and state with my side hustles, and a job, three I do support the Ukrainians, four I have healthcare, I used to rent, but now I am the sole breadwinner, five I don't have any kids, and six I have had a girlfriend but I broke up with her.
That honestly sounds more like an event for anti woke world. Given its a bunch of creeps being angry they can't simp over pretty girls..um I mean woman.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia

Phil DeState Department.
I'm not sure how that's "woke." If anything, Niger deserves its own thread similar to Ukraine.

Also, I'm skeptical about the popular support claim. France is hella unpopular in west Africa. A coup isn't a good thing under most circumstances, but I could see people supporting it. And as for foreign interference, honestly, this should be left to ECOWAS IMO.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

Obviously I saw the Mary Rose at the wrong time. 0_0
Looking at historical things from a different perspective is not inherently bad, even if the word queer had a different meaning centuries ago.

Without knowing the details, can't say if they are doing it well or badly, though.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom

Obviously I saw the Mary Rose at the wrong time. 0_0
Although the Mary Rose blog post is a bit ham-fisted, that Spiked article is completely missing the point. It's not an "attack on history" in any meaningful sense, and its not saying the items from the Mary Rose collection are particularly queer-relevant. It's just relating the items in the collection to queer experience. That's literally all.

Ann Furedi is getting furious about nothing.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Ann Furedi is getting furious about nothing.
Agreed. This is clickbait trash. I'm guessing by the surname and Spiked, she'll be one of those Marxist-turned-reactionary/libertarian types.

One particular sentence of that leapt out at me: "This is obviously absurd. Animals do not experience or possess a sense of identity, sexuality or gender." How the fuck does she know? She's tossed that out there like some obvious fact, which merely makes me think she's either ignorant or ideologically blinkered.

Okay, they clearly won't experience them like humans do. And one can with very good grounds argue that "gender" as conceived is unique to humans. However, the claim that animals don't have a sense of identity is extraordinarily unsafe, that they don't have sexuality unknown at best, and even in the case of gender they could potentially have some sort of species equivalent, although this would be completely unknown and extremely hard to determine.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria

I will never understand the obsession with "lack of sex scenes in movies and tv", let alone trying to frame this as a sign of authoritarianism or fascism. It's especially ridiculous complaining about lack of sex scenes in superhero movies of all things. This is no different than whining about a lack of bouncing breasts in video games.

Reactions: Absent

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
I will never understand the obsession with "lack of sex scenes in movies and tv", let alone trying to frame this as a sign of authoritarianism or fascism. It's especially ridiculous complaining about lack of sex scenes in superhero movies of all things. This is no different than whining about a lack of bouncing breasts in video games.
I don't even know what we're talking about here.

Are James Bond movies considered to be featuring "sex scenes" or not ? Because in my eyes there's a lot of sex in these movies, with zero sex scene, and it's okay narratively.

Reactions: Cicada 5

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009

I can sorta see where she's coming from, but it's very shortsighted. Sex does exist and to scrub a movie (or a series of movies) of it can come across a bit artificial. But sighting The Terminator is a positive example is a little silly. That is the typical gratuitous sex scene meant to culminate the relationship between the male and female lead. Made even more weird by how its main purpose is procreation. This was as much a mandate (during the 80's) as the lack of sex in Marvel movies is now.

Reactions: Cicada 5

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

Remember when we had Tom Waits... singing... talking... Waitsing?.... while two superheroes got it on in an owl plane

Putting that sex scene in there was very important to the story