General Gaming News.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Lol Japan will call you ugly to your face.
That's nice Japan, but got anything substantial to add? Anything at all? Because I know several of you ain't got the right to talk and aren't exactly lookers yourselves.

Ah, otaku. Iirc, they also called Aerith's design in FFVIIR ugly.
They did the same to Cammy when she was revealed in Street Fighter 5. This is why I'm kind of indifferent and not that ingrained to otaku culture. There are cool and good people in the community, don't get me wrong, but crap like this is why nobody takes those type of otaku seriously, and they need to get out more.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Which is really sad, because the ports for the Contra collection, the Castlevania collection, and the Cowabunga collection are all stellar and port accurate with additional features. Castlevania and Contra had their port jobs done by M2. Cowabunga Collection was done by Digital Eclipse, but they did have one of the lead designers for the Turtles games to help them out. Konami has no excuse.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
What's basically a Half-Life 2 remaster is in development by community modders, with support from Nvidia, I guess.

Doesn't mention whether this'll be a commercial product or if you'll gain free access to it if you own HL2, like with Portal. Probably the latter.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It’s ok. Can’t say I find her pleasant on the eyes either. If people do, then more power to them.
I know and I get it, but Japan has a habit of doing this way too often, even when the women are already beautiful. Like I said before, the Cammy example. Already beautiful looking, but they called her ugly for looking too Western, even though there is no Asian DNA in her, and she is 100% white British. They were too used to the anime look from the Alpha series and Street Fighter 4. Capcom thankfully didn't listen and change nothing, aside from one of her alternate costumes.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
What's basically a Half-Life 2 remaster is in development by community modders, with support from Nvidia, I guess.

Doesn't mention whether this'll be a commercial product or if you'll gain free access to it if you own HL2, like with Portal. Probably the latter.
Speaking of, I am reading all the steam reviews for Portal w/ RTX, and people are split. It's still the fun game that everyone enjoyed in 2007, but apparently performance is ass unless you have a top-of-the-line pc?

I wonder how well this one will be optimized?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Well, here’s hoping this one turns out great. I guess 5200 was that bad, enough for them to completely ignore it
130 bucks. Comes with 10 games. Tho it apparently does play actual 2600 and 7800 carts, so that's something. I'm guessing the market for this is schlubby 50yo white dudes trying to relive their youth by collecting Atari. They kind that dumped money into the Tommy Tallarico's Amico scam. Everyone else will probably play this for like 15 minutes and come to the conclusion games from that era don't hold up compared to basically anything newer.
Speaking of, I am reading all the steam reviews for Portal w/ RTX, and people are split. It's still the fun game that everyone enjoyed in 2007, but apparently performance is ass unless you have a top-of-the-line pc?

I wonder how well this one will be optimized?
Well yeah, Portal RTX is basically a tech demo for real time path tracing, a very expensive form of ray tracing. Similar to Quake 2 RTX before, except it's the full game instead of just a couple levels. It's meant to be a showcase for state of the art tech, something to really put high end hardware through the grinder. This HL2 RTX will probably be like that too.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
130 bucks. Comes with 10 games. Tho it apparently does play actual 2600 and 7800 carts, so that's something. I'm guessing the market for this is schlubby 50yo white dudes trying to relive their youth by collecting Atari. They kind that dumped money into the Tommy Tallarico's Amico scam. Everyone else will probably play this for like 15 minutes and come to the conclusion games from that era don't hold up compared to basically anything newer.
Well yeah, Portal RTX is basically a tech demo for real time path tracing, a very expensive form of ray tracing. Similar to Quake 2 RTX before, except it's the full game instead of just a couple levels. It's meant to be a showcase for state of the art tech, something to really put high end hardware through the grinder. This HL2 RTX will probably be like that too.
Which is crazy, because the Atari 50th anniversary collection came out last year. Most of those guys and gals can literally buy that and get a whole bunch of Atari games from different generations. That would be a better and cheaper option. You can get the game compilation on all platforms and PC.

Last edited:
Reactions: FakeSympathy

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Apparently the Starfield start screen discussion was enough to warrant an article by The Escapist:
My own opinion is
Seriously, if you are gonna complain then focus on the real issues. The menu screen should be the LEAST of worries
^_ this, basically.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Apparently the Starfield start screen discussion was enough to warrant an article by The Escapist:
My own opinion is

^_ this, basically.
I am actually getting quite excited to see the disaster tbh. I fear at this point I'm going to be genuinely annoyed if the game is good. lol

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I am actually getting quite excited to see the disaster tbh. I fear at this point I'm going to be genuinely annoyed if the game is good. lol
You do you, this game has not been on my radar so I don't care, so I just default on a "I want things to be good" opinion.

If history is anything to go by, I suspect Mass Effect Andromeda or No Man's Sky is a reasonable point of comparison. Both ambitious space games that were deemed bland.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You do you, this game has not been on my radar so I don't care, so I just default on a "I want things to be good" opinion.

If history is anything to go by, I suspect Mass Effect Andromeda or No Man's Sky is a reasonable point of comparison. Both ambitious space games that were deemed bland.
No man's sky suffer the problem of overhype and not having much at the start. They made all these promises, but they didn't have them at lunch and didn't get them until a year later afterwards after the fact. The game is fun now, but before when it first came out overhyped with not much going forward other than some pretty visuals.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Man, both Tekken 8 AND MK1 are looking great! Out of them and SF6, I wonder which one will truly be the best fighting game for the next few years?

Reactions: BrawlMan

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It’s ok. Can’t say I find her pleasant on the eyes either. If people do, then more power to them.
I didn't find Bayonetta pleasing to the eyes, but then I didn't make a big deal out of it, claiming they did it on purpose just to spite me.

And while this is just a fictional character, you can bet your ass the face model is going to get shit on for this by the usual crowd. Female models used in games always do.

Notice how the character's face looks better here, yet only the shot with the most uncanny goober vibes gets used by the 'ugly on purpose' crowd. Horizon: Forbidden West anyone?

FableCharacter.png

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012

I mean, Andromeda took a shooter/RPG thing and for some reason tried to turn into a Ubiworld (or well, 4 (5?) Ubiworlds in a row). Besides the obvious technicaly issues, that was probably its biggest issue (that and all the baggage it inherited from Bioware's consistent inability to continue or even moreso, end a story with the Shepherd trilogy.

No Mans Sky was fine for what its initial ambitions were, but Sony probably eats at least a solid half of the blame for hyping it up to AAA levels and giving Sean Murray a platform to open his mouth. Although it has since progressed itself, apparently showing at least a sincere dedication to using that giant heap of cash, just not a good project management timeline estiimate.

Star Citizen (does that still exist? I know a sort of half playable version.... or demo, came out at some point) or Privateer are the other obvious comparitors. But one of those is basically vaporware and promises, and resting on the backs of idiot whales that Bethesda could only dream of having, and the other is way too niche an audience for something in the AAA space to aspire to

Reactions: BrawlMan