Tiny, insignificant details in games that really bother you

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
In Genshin Impact, there are teleport waypoints all across the map, as well as some large ones that reveal the surrounding area, as well as being able to heal your party members for free. Approaching it will automatically heal everyone in your party, including reserve units, up to a specified percentage of their max HP; you can also select individual units to get additional healing if you set to below 100%.

That's perfectly fine.

Honkai: Star Rail, by the same developers, has a lot more healing teleporters... but they only heal your active characters, never your reserve, and you can't use the menu to manually heal your reserve members either. If you want to heal a reserve party member, you have to manually deploy them from the party setup screen. How did they manage that?

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Whether in a game or movie, I don't know how having fake water/blood droplets stuck on the glass of my screen is supposed to increase immersion ? What at they supposed to represent ? The camera crew getting wet ? A hovering glass pane following the protagonists everywhere ? God's eyeglasses needing a sweep ?

What am I supposed to see, feel, infer ?
I don't know what it's supposed to be, but when I first saw it happen in GTA: Vice City when I was 10 years old I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
This may have been mentioned by other people before, but as a new player who hasn't seen anyone mention it yet...

Where in the blinding chuddfucks do the thrown missed pokeballs go in Pokémon Arceus??! why can't I pick them up again??? Where are they??? What the fuck is going on here?!?

Reactions: BrawlMan

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Talky RPGs with stat-gated conversation options would better serve the role-playing experience by not telling you what you'd be saying if you aren't leveled in the right stats yet. Just the number of the skill you need to earn would be fine: it makes more sense if your character can't glimpse knowledge they don't technically know yet, while providing more incentive to either replay or train a skill for the more curious. It bothers me more than it should that such modern RPGs still don't do this.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Talky RPGs with stat-gated conversation options would better serve the role-playing experience by not telling you what you'd be saying if you aren't leveled in the right stats yet. Just the number of the skill you need to earn would be fine: it makes more sense if your character can't glimpse knowledge they don't technically know yet, while providing more incentive to either replay or train a skill for the more curious. It bothers me more than it should that such modern RPGs still don't do this.
Fallout New Vegas has a 'you can try to do this but it won't succeed' variant for each of the skill-check dialogue options. It also tells you exactly how much in that stat you need to pass the check, unlike Fallout 3 which only ever gives you a random chance to succeed based on your skill level.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The RayStormXRayCrisis Double Pack doesn't come with the first game. Which is weird, because there is a Ray Series Arcade Collection, that comes with all three games, and their HD counterparts on Switch.....FOR $50.00!!!!!

No thank you.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Also Gerudo Town in BotW doesn't make any sense. Considering that there are many Gerudo that state that they have husbands that they love and live with outside of Gerudo Town it seems to me that Gerudo Town should have a massive population crisis. Like, why does anyone actually live there? Considering all the children need to be born and raised elsewhere it seems pointless to go back.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
In Breath of the Wild the flame guard armor keeps you from overheating on the edge of a volcano where you literally catch on fire just from standing there, but DOESN'T stop you from overheating in the desert. For that you need 'heat resistant' clothing. How the heck does that work?
It makes a little sense, have you ever worn fire resistant clothing? That stuff is heavy, and very hot. Wearing it outdoors in a desert in the afternoon sun, would be like being locked in a car with the windows rolled up. And that kills people and pets every year. I think the real weirdness of that situation is the heart loss in Zelda from being too hot, and literally on fire, seems to be exactly the same. A hot car can get to lethal temperatures surprisingly quickly. But burning to death because you are on fire happens... rather more quickly to say the least.

The thing in Tears of the Kingdom that makes the least sense to me... the control stick. Sometimes it allows you to control the direction of the craft you make it with... others it does not. I made an adjustable "launching rail" that allowed me to slot a control stick directly onto a rocket, so I could get on and take off covering short distances in any direction quickly. I assumed that the stick would give me directional control... at least until the rocket despawned. I mean if I can put a fan on a couple of logs and control that with the stick, why not a rocket?

Nope, it is just a straight shot with no fine control. And it isn't exactly the easiest craft to... land? It really doesn't work well at all. The zonite cost is pretty low, but you can still cover any distance more quickly by just normal traversal methods. And there is a high percentage of losing a heart or 2 to road rash on the rocket. But well worth building for laughs just because it is very funny if you find roleplaying Link as Wile-E-Coyote amusing.

Also Gerudo Town in BotW doesn't make any sense. Considering that there are many Gerudo that state that they have husbands that they love and live with outside of Gerudo Town it seems to me that Gerudo Town should have a massive population crisis. Like, why does anyone actually live there? Considering all the children need to be born and raised elsewhere it seems pointless to go back.
Yeah, that doesn't make much sense. But I think I may have some sneaking suspicion as to why the developers decided to include an all-female tribe of scantily clad Amazonians. Even if some of their customs aren't particularly logical.

Last edited:

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Yeah, that doesn't make much sense. But I think I may have some sneaking suspicion as to why the developers decided to include an all-female tribe of scantily clad Amazonians. Even if some of their customs aren't particularly logical.
It's honestly one of those things that works fine until the game brings it into focus. Like, when they were just like, nega-Goron and all their kids were girls and don't worry about it, it was "sure, whatever", but now the idea that they all headhunt husbands from outside the tribe, don't, like, have a directly neighboring town, and are counted as a different race than hylians specifically it gets really weird.

On a related note, it's like how I'd really like Final Fantasy XIV to stop making me interact with the politics of the Sun Seeker Miquo'te tribes, which operates on, like, lion pride rules (one male and a handful of females) except there's like, 40+ females, everybody has normal people lifespans, and the breeding male per tribe only gets displaced through combat occasionally. Either there's a huge amount of not-acknowledged poaching by the vastly more numerous non-breeding males and non-mIquo'te or things are getting real incesty, real fast.

The lore also says that the breeding male isn't normally the leader of his tribe, but this isn't true for both tribes you interact with in game, so...

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
It makes a little sense, have you ever worn fire resistant clothing? That stuff is heavy, and very hot. Wearing it outdoors in a desert in the afternoon sun, would be like being locked in a car with the windows rolled up. And that kills people and pets every year. I think the real weirdness of that situation is the heart loss in Zelda from being too hot, and literally on fire, seems to be exactly the same. A hot car can get to lethal temperatures surprisingly quickly. But burning to death because you are on fire happens... rather more quickly to say the least.
And it's supposed to be less hot at 500°C rather than 50°C? If you are going to overheat wearing it in the desert you are certainly going to overheat wearing it on the edge of a volcano. Pretty darn fast too.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
And it's supposed to be less hot at 500°C rather than 50°C? If you are going to overheat wearing it in the desert you are certainly going to overheat wearing it on the edge of a volcano. Pretty darn fast too.
Well, just because the suit is protecting you at 500°C, doesn't mean it isn't also slowly killing you. Protecting someone from near instant incineration is the primary function, it is kind of on the wearer to get to a less lethal location before they suffer a heat stroke. That's why I consider no difference in the heart loss as LoZ's more pressing inconsistency. I suppose if they were going for realism, burning to death without the protective suit in a volcano should be instantaneous, a heat death in the desert sun should be a slower heart loss status effect (probably affecting stamina as well as hearts,) and just wearing the protective gear should also inflect the desert's status effect as well.

So it's just as well they weren't concerned with the idea of realism. Because that sounds more boring and crappy than the games as they are.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
In Breath of the Wild the flame guard armor keeps you from overheating on the edge of a volcano where you literally catch on fire just from standing there, but DOESN'T stop you from overheating in the desert. For that you need 'heat resistant' clothing. How the heck does that work?
Best I can think of is that it's magical and so it's not imbued to resist heat generally, but heat from lava or volcanic activity. That's a very very very weak explanation, but I said it was the best I could think of, not that it was good.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
So I found this detail in ffxvi, and I don't know if "bother" is exactly right, but I'm just baffled by it.

So when you're out on the field maps, you do a dashing run if you hold forward for like 10 seconds or so, helps speed travel up some, normal stuff. Thing is, you get this unique running attack that you can do by attacking during the dash. But when enemies appear the game automatically cancels the dash and goes into the standard run you do indoors and during fights, and there's no way to dash again until you defeat everyone.

So...what's the point of the dashing attack if you can never dash when enemies are around?

Is it a leftover from back when the game was supposed to have a dash button and not the hold to dash thing, which they ended up scrapping, but they left the dashing attack in, for god knows what reason?

Literally what the fuck? XD

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I think the shittiest gym in Pokémon so far is still the OR/AS version of the eighth gym, Sootopolis City. The puzzle is fucking obnoxious - making it reflective of the dip shit that runs in in fairness - and the cheap asshole gives you a HM and not a TM.

Actually the Gym TMs were pretty shit across the board in OR/AS.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
At one point in Bioshock, there's a combination lock which a character's audio diary says the combination to is the date of Australia Day. If you don't live in Australia, there's a poster in the owner's office which explains that it's "01/26". Naturally, '0126' turns out to be the code...

Except, Australia uses DD/MM/YY instead of MM/DD/YY, so the code and the poster SHOULD be '2601'.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
At one point in Bioshock, there's a combination lock which a character's audio diary says the combination to is the date of Australia Day. If you don't live in Australia, there's a poster in the owner's office which explains that it's "01/26". Naturally, '0126' turns out to be the code...

Except, Australia uses DD/MM/YY instead of MM/DD/YY, so the code and the poster SHOULD be '2601'.

Hey now, we didn't move several miles undersea to use metric (or whatever that notation is considered) XD

Reactions: Dalisclock

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

I can meet halfway on this, part of the trick of the puzzle should have been that the date is presented the way Americans are used to, but you have to enter it using the Australian format.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I can meet halfway on this, part of the trick of the puzzle should have been that the date is presented the way Americans are used to, but you have to enter it using the Australian format.
Considering that I can never remember what date format Canada is supposed to be using (I'm Canadian) that sounds like pretty much the worst puzzle ever.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Early in Devil May Cry, you get a new sword in the Alastor, right after it leaps into Dante's chest and pins him to the floor. Now, we already know from the opening cutscene that impaling him like that is hardly enough to slow him down, but what really bugs me about this scene is the recovery.

I mean just look at that. He hits the crossguard and goes through it with hardly even a hitch. I get what they were trying for regarding Dante's durability, but the physics of it just annoy the hell out of me. When he picks it up immediately afterwards, we see that it's not really lodged into the ground firmly, so why the hell does his body go through the crossguard and then the entirely blunt handle and pommel rather than catching on it and dragging the tip of the sword out of the ground? Either commit to it being loose enough for him to easily pick up, or commit to it being firmly lodged enough to warrant it staying in place even as his body runs into the parts that would resist his momentum!