Tiny, insignificant details in games that really bother you

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
So are you fluent in Japanese or something? I'd be interested in reading more about this.
I wouldn't say 'fluent', but I did study it quite a lot in school. I'm fluent enough to play a video game marketed for pre-teens, anyway, especially with a bit of help from Google Translate.

If you start that SMRPG/remake thread you said you were going to that one time, maybe I'll contribute my (admittedly, imperfect) knowledge of the original script.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I wouldn't say 'fluent', but I did study it quite a lot in school. I'm fluent enough to play a video game marketed for pre-teens, anyway, especially with a bit of help from Google Translate.

If you start that SMRPG/remake thread you said you were going to that one time, maybe I'll contribute my (admittedly, imperfect) knowledge of the original script.
Oh right. Ok I'll try and start working on that tonight if I have time after I rant about Void Stranger a bunch.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Two more things about Fallen Order that drive me crazy:

1. Scomp link locked chest. You get BD-1's scomp link upgrade in the second planet you visit, so why they have space treasure chests three planets later that can only be unlocked with the scomp link is beyond me. At that point literally all it does is add 2 to 3 more seconds of waiting while you open a chest. I'm not getting any younger folks, that shit adds up.
Why does anyone who has a lightsaber need a lock pick? That's the question that springs to mind for me.

"Sorry, you can't unlock me without a key"

*Cal ignites Lightsaber* "Oh I got a key"

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Why does anyone who has a lightsaber need a lock pick? That's the question that springs to mind for me.

Look, just because a lightsaber can cut through a reinforced bulkhead doesn't mean it can just melt a lock!

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines

Yeah, I'm surprised they didn't have a mechanic where Cal just slices through a locked door, or cuts down a tree to make a bridge. There's just a general lack of lightsabers cutting things.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada

Probably because if you're melting through the lock you are in danger of destroying whatever you are trying to get out of the chest to begin with.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland

Why do they need a door for that matter.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I could write reams about Super Mario RPG's translation from Japanese into English by Ted Woolsey, including on certain things that I think he actually improved on, but for now I'm going to simply note that there are two skills enemies can use that buff their own defensive and offensive stats respectively, called 'Valor Up' and 'Vigor up!'. The fact that they aren't formatted the same is what bothers me about it; like, how hard would it have been to just make them look the same?
Explain to me how we got Neosquid for Exor's mouth.

Reactions: NerfedFalcon

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Explain to me how we got Neosquid for Exor's mouth.
Beats me. I didn't even know that Calibur's* mouth could be targeted; I accidentally went into the fight after changing my party but not their equipment, so I just used Geno Cutter** to GTFO.

What I'd really like to know, myself, is how Woolsey decided that 'The Big Boo' was the correct name for a common Boo.

* Exor
** Geno Whirl

hanselthecaretaker2

Flask restoration in progress
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Tanktop straps on character models. I'm sure you know what I mean.
In an age where everything is bump mapped and clothing is even treated as separate objects it’s odd why this detail is so overlooked/impossible to do well.

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
Every soulslike am remember playing let you pick up your previous death souls in their last location quite instantly with quick button press inbetwixt defensive maneuvers like, say, strafe-dodge fighting off a boss you just died to.

Lords of the Fallen, however, innovates by slowing your ass way down to a hobble as it forces a non-cancallable long animation of drawing out your lantern and sucking all the past corpse juice back into you, while you completely defenseless throughout, yet still as vulnerable to stagger from enemy attacks - cancelling animation, to have to try again. The bafflingness (not word?) of this decision cannot be overstated: if intentional challenge, it's a lazy poorly thought out one. Your character can't change their mind midway to block anything, like any sentient creature who's evolved basic self-preservation instincts would. Though admittedly it hasn't been annoying for me yet in early game, eventually that time's a coming no matter what.

On the other hand, one sub area just completed itself while I was elsewhere defeating boss, so the swings n roundabouts are given n taketh.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Probably because if you're melting through the lock you are in danger of destroying whatever you are trying to get out of the chest to begin with.
I mean, in SW don't people just shoot or slice the door panels to close and "lock" the doors a lot anyway? I know int he Ashoka finale there was a bunch of panel breaking to delay pursuit near the end.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I mean, in SW don't people just shoot or slice the door panels to close and "lock" the doors a lot anyway? I know int he Ashoka finale there was a bunch of panel breaking to delay pursuit near the end.
I haven't played the game, but the original comment in the chain was specifically talking about a chest. Doors are more believable since the only goal is to pass through, you don't really care about damaging anything on the other side of the door or panel or whatever.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't need the camera that close to Jacob's back game designers! There's no FOV slider in the console version of this game. PC? I don't know, but I have feeling it's not there either. Also, the limited inventory in the first half of the game is stupid.

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Big RPGs that expect multiple playthroughs really need to copy the Mass Effect/DragonAge method of separating the saves by what ever name you give your protagonist or save slot. Because there is nothing more infuriating when I play games like Deus Ex and Cyberpunk (to name two examples) and my multiple saves and campaigns are just a giant fucking list.

XsjadoBlaydette

May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
Silly suit designs aren't usually an issue, if we're separating the vast sea of anime from this at least. Yet can't help but feel the echoes of anime when seeing such a physically baffling Spiderman suit design. How does it not slip off during the slightest of everyday movement? Is there a solid ring around the top? Doesn't the top of the head feel cold and vulnerable? Is anonymity no longer a concern? No really, how does it not slip off?? Did he staple it to himself???

ezgif.com-webp-to-png-67.jpg

Have worn a lot of silly shit myself for a lot of silly reasons, yet this design presents an unusual discomfort no other experience has. Its the anxiety of underwear that's lost elasticity so every minute is a pull up check. And what happens if male pattern baldness??

Last edited:

XsjadoBlaydette

May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
Alan Wake 2 so far is a great game and a step up from the original, got loadsa positive stuff to say about it to any soul who makes the mistake still being around after plying me with drinks and, uh, whatnot etc 👀. But! It is peppered with loadsa tiny, insignificant little bothersomes, so many, the list grows still. Luckily not the kind to taint the overall experience as of yet, though mileage probably will vary elsewhere. Disclaimer/

That said, the investigation Charlie Day conspiracy board (wall? Board on wall??) in the elaborate menu room has been taking the piss with how and where it wants to accept my evidence. At first it just kinda accepted anything I had and anywhere I wanted to pin it, was an amusingly dumb distraction I thought.

Then it sleepily pretended to have standards, albeit standards quickly overcome by slow-wiggling left thumb stick while randomly pressing accept button with your eyes closed.

Now, though, it's just finicky to illogical degrees: specifically when you can see exactly where the evidence goes, you move the evidence over to the area to pin up the goss, and it won't accept until you find the precise invisible spot it officially sanctioned in secret, usually further away from the relevant clue area than seems obvious. Quirky, endearing even.

Eventually it got to the piss taking stage when I saw the line of clues in the relevant area matching what I was holding, so like a model student, moved my evidence over to the end of the clue line where space was clearly set for the evidence to be pinned to, just to be denied again. Expected of course, so deployed the tactic of moving evidence back to the branch topic for another acceptance attempt, which indeed it accepted finally...only for the cheeky kunt to then move n pin the evidence back to the space it just denied me from a second ago!

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I really don't care for the early to mid 2000s screamer jump scares in Alan Wake II. They're more annoying than scary. There was one jump scare that got me, but it wasn't the screamer shit.

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette