Tiny, insignificant details in games that really bother you

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Every aspect imported by consoles may be tiny and insignificant, and yet nag me to no end : the absence of true save state (reloading resets the NPC, re-spawn you at a pre-defined place), the controls' reliance on gamepads and gamepad-structure, the mere size of text display... I'm sorry but consoles truly "dumb down" gaming.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Every aspect imported by consoles may be tiny and insignificant, and yet nag me to no end : the absence of true save state (reloading resets the NPC, re-spawn you at a pre-defined place), the controls' reliance on gamepads and gamepad-structure, the mere size of text display... I'm sorry but consoles truly "dumb down" gaming.
...You wanna move this to the "hot takes" thread?

Given gaming is escapist entertainment, how exactly is less complexity allowing for greater accessibility "dumbing it down?" I mean, as a console plebeian myself, I was unaware PC gamers were using their gaming hobby to build rocket ships, cure cancer, and other intellectually advanced pursuits. Here I was thinking we all were just slaying dragons. killing Nazis, and saving princesses for fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: NerfedFalcon

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
...You wanna move this to the "hot takes" thread?
No, I don't think it's an original enough take (pc master race and all that).

Also you're asking how less complexity is dumbing down ? It's essentially the definition of dumbing down. The lack of fine multiclick mouse movements, and often the lack of keyboard (but that ship has sailed long ago) prevents any fine interface, so either everything is oversimplified, pruned to as few (overlapping) keys/functions as possible, or to ridiculously cumbersome fat menus that require to travel through eight screens for what could have required one mouse-accurate click.

Won't re-play an age old argument here, but whether you buy rockets of strategic maps in virtual toys, there's still a difference of degree between the respective equivalents of lego technics and lego duplo.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
No, I don't think it's an original enough take (pc master race and all that).

Also you're asking how less complexity is dumbing down ? It's essentially the definition of dumbing down.
Let's call it "simplification" then; it's a lot less condescending. Gaming is a hobby, entertainment, a luxury; not everyone has the time or ability to invest in gaming computers, and consoles allow for those that fit into that category to still enjoy it, albeit, in your opinion, in a nominal way.

Won't re-play an age old argument here, but whether you buy rockets of strategic maps in virtual toys, there's still a difference of degree between the respective equivalents of lego technics and lego duplo.
Yes, we needn't belabor the old "PC vs. Consoles" argument; I'm just curious why it "nags you to no end" that consoles are a thing. I mean, I could see it bothering you if, say, your PC went down, and you had to settle for a console: sure, it would suck to have the flexibility stripped from you, but if that's not the case, don't let it nag you. It's a viable, off-the-shelf option that, for all intents and purposes, gets the job done for millions of gamers who don't worry about:

The lack of fine multiclick mouse movements, and often the lack of keyboard (but that ship has sailed long ago) prevents any fine interface, so either everything is oversimplified, pruned to as few (overlapping) keys/functions as possible, or to ridiculously cumbersome fat menus that require to travel through eight screens for what could have required one mouse-accurate click.

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Yes, we needn't belabor the old "PC vs. Consoles" argument; I'm just curious why it "nags you to no end" that consoles are a thing. I mean, I could see it bothering you if, say, your PC went down, and you had to settle for a console:
No, it's not about that. What annoy me are bad, lazy console ports to PC, that don't allow you to make use of the more handy PC interface and game state saving abilities, or worse, PC native games that are designed with console adaptations in mind. I don't care about console stuff existing on/for consoles, but I'm annoyed when these limitations are transferred to PC. I don't like playing console-ish games on the PC, in which, for instance, mouse and keyboard, which would be a plus if they were truly used to their advantage, become a minus because all they serve to is to emulate a gamepad and navigate pointless submenus or move a cursor over a virtual keyboard...

And :

Every aspect imported by consoles
Maybe it would have been clearer if I had used "from" instead of "by" (in french they are the same word, "par").

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
No, it's not about that. What annoy me are bad, lazy console ports to PC, that don't allow you to make use of the more handy PC interface and game state saving abilities, or worse, PC native games that are designed with console adaptations in mind. I don't care about console stuff existing on/for consoles, but I'm annoyed when these limitations are transferred to PC. I don't like playing console-ish games on the PC, in which, for instance, mouse and keyboard, which would be a plus if they were truly used to their advantage, become a minus because all they serve to is to emulate a gamepad and navigate pointless submenus or move a cursor over a virtual keyboard...

And :

Maybe it would have been clearer if I had used "from" instead of "by" (in french they are the same word, "par").
Ah, I completely misunderstood your initial post; I thought you were just ragging on consoles, but if your complaint is specifically about ports to PC that bring console limitations with them, I can understand that. My apologies for getting unduly defensive.

Kindest Regards,

A Console Pleb.​

Reactions: Absent and BrawlMan

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
"A man uses imperial! A slave uses metric!"-Andrew Ryan(Probably)

I'll see myself out.
That would be telling people what to do and what not to do. In line with his stated philosophy, Ryan probably would have told people to use whatever measuring system they prefer. Leading to problems with fitting pieces together, and therefore the state of the city as we see it.

Or, like the giant hypocrite he turned out to be, maybe he did mandate a measurement system for everybody to use.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Having to stand up from a bonfire/site of grace (in Dark Souls/Elden Ring respectively) to inspect/manage your inventory. It really irks me to have to go through the sitting animation only to see you're 1,500 short of souls/runes to level up, then stand up, go into your inventory to use consumables to shore up the difference, then sit again to level up. Why I can't manage/use items from my inventory while I'm already sitting at the bf/sog is beyond me; it actually makes no sense given sitting at a bf/sog is precisely the kind of downtime one should use for inventory management.

Also, I'd really like to be able to see what resources I need to upgrade my weapons at anytime in the inventory screen. Having to travel to a blacksmith every time just to find out I'm short is a massive pain.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Having to stand up from a bonfire/site of grace (in Dark Souls/Elden Ring respectively) to inspect/manage your inventory. It really irks me to have to go through the sitting animation only to see you're 1,500 short of souls/runes to level up, then stand up, go into your inventory to use consumables to shore up the difference, then sit again to level up. Why I can't manage/use items from my inventory while I'm already sitting at the bf/sog is beyond me; it actually makes no sense given sitting at a bf/sog is precisely the kind of downtime one should use for inventory management.

Also, I'd really like to be able to see what resources I need to upgrade my weapons at anytime in the inventory screen. Having to travel to a blacksmith every time just to find out I'm short is a massive pain.
The first part, can’t help you with much there. It would be nice if you could at least do that stuff through the storage box, but FROM games have never been known for being user friendly. They made some improvements with ER though. You might already know in inventory there’s a help/info section tapping once on L1/LB. A couple other things that might help manage inventory and easier map navigation if nothing else -

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The first part, can’t help you with much there. It would be nice if you could at least do that stuff through the storage box, but FROM games have never been known for being user friendly. They made some improvements with ER though. You might already know in inventory there’s a help/info section tapping once on L1/LB. A couple other things that might help manage inventory and easier map navigation if nothing else -

My second point was about upgrading weapons. I'll run around with the same weapon knowing I need Smithing Stone 5s to upgrade it. I'll find a 2-3 them, and get all excited, but I have to travel to a blacksmith just to find out I need 4 for the next upgrade. In my inventory, there should be a stat/indicator telling me what and how many resources I need/have without running to a blacksmith. Yes, I could be bothered to simply remember, but it could just as easily be shown in the equipment screen. I mean, in true Dark Souls/Elden Ring fashion, you'll like try a litany of weapons in your playthrough (at they very least, you'll have dozens in your inventory pretty quickly,) trying to remember what each requires for the next upgrade gets cumbersome.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
My second point was about upgrading weapons. I'll run around with the same weapon knowing I need Smithing Stone 5s to upgrade it. I'll find a 2-3 them, and get all excited, but I have to travel to a blacksmith just to find out I need 4 for the next upgrade. In my inventory, there should be a stat/indicator telling me what and how many resources I need/have without running to a blacksmith. Yes, I could be bothered to simply remember, but it could just as easily be shown in the equipment screen. I mean, in true Dark Souls/Elden Ring fashion, you'll like try a litany of weapons in your playthrough (at they very least, you'll have dozens in your inventory pretty quickly,) trying to remember what each requires for the next upgrade gets cumbersome.
Yeah they could’ve made it easier to keep track of that. As it is the magic number is needing 12 of each smithing stone (#1-8) per weapon in the pattern of 2+4+6. Each stone # yields 3 levels worth, so if your weapon is +3 you’ll know you won’t need any #1 stones for it. Or if it’s at say, level 8 you’ll just need 6 more #3 stones. Why they couldn’t just keep a tally in game is typical FROM I guess. At least Somber upgrades stick to one per level.

Lately I’ve also gotten in the habit of offloading whatever weapons/items/gear I don’t plan on using to the storage box. Clearing up the clutter makes sifting through inventory way less of a hassle.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I'm only surprised that the games don't force you to traverse a poison swamp every time you want to go between those two things.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Early in Devil May Cry, you get a new sword in the Alastor, right after it leaps into Dante's chest and pins him to the floor. Now, we already know from the opening cutscene that impaling him like that is hardly enough to slow him down, but what really bugs me about this scene is the recovery.

I mean just look at that. He hits the crossguard and goes through it with hardly even a hitch. I get what they were trying for regarding Dante's durability, but the physics of it just annoy the hell out of me. When he picks it up immediately afterwards, we see that it's not really lodged into the ground firmly, so why the hell does his body go through the crossguard and then the entirely blunt handle and pommel rather than catching on it and dragging the tip of the sword out of the ground? Either commit to it being loose enough for him to easily pick up, or commit to it being firmly lodged enough to warrant it staying in place even as his body runs into the parts that would resist his momentum!
You're not the first to complain about this. Us DMC fans have long accepted it by this point. Most of us anyway. Seeing that at the age of 12 left me shocked. Around my late teens early/twenties...bad ass.

Last edited:

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Two more things about Fallen Order that drive me crazy:

1. Scomp link locked chest. You get BD-1's scomp link upgrade in the second planet you visit, so why they have space treasure chests three planets later that can only be unlocked with the scomp link is beyond me. At that point literally all it does is add 2 to 3 more seconds of waiting while you open a chest. I'm not getting any younger folks, that shit adds up.
2. I actually quite like the journey that Cal goes on to reawaken his force powers. The way he learns to wall run on Bogano, Force push and pull on Zeffo, and double jumping on Kashyyyk. It feels very natural and in theme with the environment he's in. So how does Cal learn how to use the double bladed lightsaber? He finds a random fucking workbench on a fucking tree thousands of feet in the air and decides that now is the best time to perform a complex upgrade to his sole piece of weaponry.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
I could write reams about Super Mario RPG's translation from Japanese into English by Ted Woolsey, including on certain things that I think he actually improved on, but for now I'm going to simply note that there are two skills enemies can use that buff their own defensive and offensive stats respectively, called 'Valor Up' and 'Vigor up!'. The fact that they aren't formatted the same is what bothers me about it; like, how hard would it have been to just make them look the same?

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I could write reams about Super Mario RPG's translation from Japanese into English by Ted Woolsey, including on certain things that I think he actually improved on
So are you fluent in Japanese or something? I'd be interested in reading more about this.

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The Making of Karateka - The overall package is great, but it's weird that the compilation doesn't come with the NES nor Game Boy version of Karateka.