Armored Core 6 gameplay finally revealed.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Don't beat yourself up too hard. Either try again or don't; your call alone. Do you know how many times I died to Phantom in DMC1? I can't get AC6 yet, but I am not going to let a first boss discourage me.
first chapter end boss, not first boss. I was able to defeat the helicopter tutorial boss on 2nd try by just moving around a bunch. The Jugernaut, which got a lot of attention, took a few tries, I just had to realize you have to hit it from the back.

The first mission to make me change my build was not a boss, it was one with a bunch if snipers. I decked out a laser canon to help soften them up.

So I was doing really good until Balteus. And now it positions itself in the air where I can’t hit it, like one of those mosquitoes in Elden Ring. Ugh.

I think what I’ll do is quit the mission and replay an easy one over and over grinding for mech parts while listening to podcasts, then get my way back to Balteus and try every youtube video suggestion I can find. Obviously that will take a while but where am I going

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
The trick to this guy is to chase him down as fast as you can. Hug him as much as possible and when he runs away fucking boost your ass to him again. It is an annoying fight but your sword has a cooldown anyway and it will recharge during the chase. Use the sword on him as it will tear apart his shield like tissue paper.

That being said i am much further in the game than you and uh....some fights are fucking bullshit ngl. The thing about the bosses in this game is that they feel more like puzzles. And you have to figure out the one trick to solving the puzzle because everything else is desth.

The best fights are versus other AC mechs but even then some are so fucking fast that it can be very disorientating.
Damn, that’s disappointing about the disorienting part. Insert all my Elden Ring complaints…

So far I have enjoyed my 1:1 AC duels, but even these early ones do zip around all stupid.

I have been fighting Balteus as you say with the rush down, problem is my sword misses half the time.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

After seeing the really good day 1 reviews I ordered the game and it arrived today. I did the tutorial and the first 5 missions.

So far the tutorial boss has been the hardest part of the game and everything else has been piss easy. My biggest problem with the tutorial boss is how good the missile tracking is. I constantly felt like I was getting hit from behind by missiles I had dodged in the air, and I constantly got hit while taking cover even though I felt like the boss couldn't see me. Taking cover almost felt pointless, like a trap. It feels like the game really wants you to fly your ass off and hit the helicopter with your sword to do any meaningful damage, but the boss is also able to move outside the boundary of the arena, so it can shoot at you from outside and you can't hit it with your sword and basically have to bait it to come back.

Currently sticking with the tutorial build until I come across something that forces me to change things up. The only thing I've done is added a second missile launcher so that I always have missiles off cool-down.

I'm really impressed with the level of customization. I love that you can have separate weathering effects on every part of your mech.
Looks like you made your decision. I am happy for you.
first chapter end boss, not first boss.
Guess what> Phantom acted as both.

I was able to defeat the helicopter tutorial boss on 2nd try by just moving around a bunch. The Jugernaut, which got a lot of attention, took a few tries, I just had to realize you have to hit it from the back.

The first mission to make me change my build was not a boss, it was one with a bunch if snipers. I decked out a laser canon to help soften them up.

So I was doing really good until Balteus. And now it positions itself in the air where I can’t hit it, like one of those mosquitoes in Elden Ring. Ugh.

I think what I’ll do is quit the mission and replay an easy one over and over grinding for mech parts while listening to podcasts, then get my way back to Balteus and try every youtube video suggestion I can find. Obviously that will take a while but where am I going
Semantics aside, I do wish you the best of luck.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Well, I beat Balteus (dual-wielding plasma guns and laser cannons). So, close-range spam but without the melee... ok, fine, whatever.

You know, I understand you're supposed to adjust your build and tactics for specific engagements, it's one of the things that attracted me to the game. But when you're working around the weak points of the game's mechanics (zooming around off camera everwhere) instead of, say, enemy strong vs weak points or different kinds of weapons (energy vs kinetic etc), then that's just super lame.

So I played a bit more, did the arenas which are 1:1 fights and more zipping around off-camera, played the area that was in the trailers and demo and that is a lot of fun, then another boss with big arms that go off camera, and you know what... f*** this game, and f*** me for buying another FromSoftware after I knew that I couldn't handle these type of boss fights anymore.

There was another thread, I think the Baldur's Gate one, where someone was asking about if they should trust their gut on whether to buy a game and.. yes, yes, absolutely we should trust our guts.

This game is two games for me: working through the levels, fighting a bunch low-level enemies with a sort of occasional mini-boss type encounter, making sure you're not surrounded, choosing your approach, messing around with various mech builds- this is a really great fun game! Then the other game, the bullshit boss fights where it's like Melania + Ultra Camera Boss + Giving Me Seizure Headahces, and I hate hate hate that game.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Well, I beat Balteus (dual-wielding plasma guns and laser cannons). So, close-range spam but without the melee... ok, fine, whatever.

You know, I understand you're supposed to adjust your build and tactics for specific engagements, it's one of the things that attracted me to the game. But when you're working around the weak points of the game's mechanics (zooming around off camera everwhere) instead of, say, enemy strong vs weak points or different kinds of weapons (energy vs kinetic etc), then that's just super lame.

So I played a bit more, did the arenas which are 1:1 fights and more zipping around off-camera, played the area that was in the trailers and demo and that is a lot of fun, then another boss with big arms that go off camera, and you know what... f*** this game, and f*** me for buying another FromSoftware after I knew that I couldn't handle these type of boss fights anymore.

There was another thread, I think the Baldur's Gate one, where someone was asking about if they should trust their gut on whether to buy a game and.. yes, yes, absolutely we should trust our guts.

This game is two games for me: working through the levels, fighting a bunch low-level enemies with a sort of occasional mini-boss type encounter, making sure you're not surrounded, choosing your approach, messing around with various mech builds- this is a really great fun game! Then the other game, the bullshit boss fights where it's like Melania + Ultra Camera Boss + Giving Me Seizure Headahces, and I hate hate hate that game.
I think one of the biggest tricks to this game is to find the mech setup that you like the best and there are a lot of ways to make your mech be different. From legs to the types of weapons you specialize in. Finding the right combination can go a long way to making the game "click" for you.

I wish you luck on your journey to blow shit up.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Looks like you made your decision. I am happy for you.
I had intended to get it, but just wasn't willing to drop the preorder. The reviews have actually been better than I expected though.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I had intended to get it, but just wasn't willing to drop the preorder. The reviews have actually been better than I expected though.
You still paid the full $60. So either way, you paid. Once again, I'm glad you're happy and having fun.

Zechs

Jun 5, 2013
Finished the game yesterday and as a big Armored core fan I'm kind of mixed on the game. On the one hand it's a new AC game after a decade with all the new graphics and technical improvements (120 frames in a Fromsoft game wow) But on the other hand it feels like there is way to much souls/sekrio DNA at the expense of the mech sim part.

I think the biggest issue for me is despite being a game all about shooting it really wants you in melee range (1-200 meters) if you want to do any real damage. The best kinetic rifle will do 94 damage up until 250 meters where it will be deflected and then do 4. Using a Linear rifle fully charged will let you hit for full damage at around 350 meters, which is pretty much the longest you will get outside of missiles and cannons/grenade launchers. I also forgot to mention there are no sniper rifles of any kind in the game as well. By comparison in AC4A you can lock on 2900 meters away and you will actually be able to hit small targets and do significant damage at 2400 meters.

The other thing are the boss fights and let me tell you I am not a fan at all. Some of these boss fights will render most loadouts near unusable due to there massive health pools and huge amount of damage. There is two boss fights in near the end where they go full Melania on you and it's not really what I would call fun. To top things off a lot of missions will have a lengthy level of fighting average enemies before a boss fight. Getting an S rank requires you to one shot the level with out retrying.

Speaking of missions/levels I wish there where more 'filler' missions that aren't about progressing the main plot that are just for grabbing some extra cash. All to often some of these missions will brief you about the mission then fake you out half way through with some surprise boss fight or a ton of extra enemies. The game is also pretty linear as you only have 1-2 missions to pick from most of the time a apposed to past games where you would have three or more, giving you the decision of grabbing fast and easy one or one with a big payout.

I'm not sure how I feel about the new stagger mechanic, it's fun staggering enemies and doing a ton of damage to them, but then it doesn't feel great doing so little damage outside of the stagger time. Some boss attacks can stagger you in one hit followed by another that will also stagger you dealing upwards of 8000-10000 AP, which I think is absurdly unfair given that there are a lot of heavy load outs that cannot avoid these attacks.

Some things that are absent/I would have liked them to bring back:

-No sniper rifles
-No flares/CIWS
-No backpack/shoulder booster extension parts
-Low part variety in most categories
-No radar unit/mini map
-No dummy fire rockets
-No internal storage for extra ammo/extra weapons
-Can't equip melee weapons on both arms
-Energy weapons deal less damage and cost no EN but overheat
-Can't equip 4 of the exact same weapon
-Less detailed extra info screens

Multiplayer is pretty bare bones, you can't que for 1v1s 2v2 etc and have to join rooms.

Final note odd note about the game the handler voice actor is the same actor as the GA America guy in AC4A.

I give 8/10

Reactions: sXeth

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I'm not sure how I feel about the new stagger mechanic, it's fun staggering enemies and doing a ton of damage to them, but then it doesn't feel great doing so little damage outside of the stagger time. Some boss attacks can stagger you in one hit followed by another that will also stagger you dealing upwards of 8000-10000 AP, which I think is absurdly unfair given that there are a lot of heavy load outs that cannot avoid these attacks.
Yeah, I was a bit annoyed about this in the tutorial fight because you aren't even really told about the stagger mechanic. I would get hit by something, be unable to move, and then get shot again and killed from 7000-8000 health down to nothing. I kept thinking I had run into a wall or piece of geometry that had prevented me from dodging, and that it was my fault for spending too long looking up, but it actually turned out I was getting staggered and didn't understand it.

To be fair to the game, the stagger mechanic does happen to that boss, but I didn't immediately put 2 and 2 together that it was a mechanic that affects both players and NPCs.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
So far, dual-shotgun has served me well; It builds the stagger meter really fast. But I do agree the stagger mechanic definitely feels counterintuitive; It seriously slows things down, and sometimes it's insulting how much of an advantage the enemies have when I get staggered. If bosses get staggered, I am usually in a state of reloading or my weapons are close to the point of reloading. But when I get staggered, the bosses usually have a barrage of attacks towards me.

I am also having this strange issue and I don't know if it's a glitch, game feature, or my controller problem; Whenever I do a charge on the left shoulder weapon (LB on my Xbox controller) the mech boosts forward. It really fucks up my positioning and in the few seconds it takes me to cancel the boost, I'm wasting the EN.

All the issues above made Balteus pain in the ass; Still beaten it after like 7 tries, but it was painful regardless

On a plus side, people have been coming up with amazing creativity with their AC designs over on r/armoredcore. And I'm glad people are putting so much time and effort into them.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Yeah, I was a bit annoyed about this in the tutorial fight because you aren't even really told about the stagger mechanic. I would get hit by something, be unable to move, and then get shot again and killed from 7000-8000 health down to nothing. I kept thinking I had run into a wall or piece of geometry that had prevented me from dodging, and that it was my fault for spending too long looking up, but it actually turned out I was getting staggered and didn't understand it.

To be fair to the game, the stagger mechanic does happen to that boss, but I didn't immediately put 2 and 2 together that it was a mechanic that affects both players and NPCs.
Didn’t even Sekiro make a point of explaining its basic combat mechanics in the opening? Same with Elden Ring. And here I thought FROM was developing a more user-friendly streak.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I think one of the biggest tricks to this game is to find the mech setup that you like the best and there are a lot of ways to make your mech be different. From legs to the types of weapons you specialize in. Finding the right combination can go a long way to making the game "click" for you.

I wish you luck on your journey to blow shit up.
Balteus is supposed to be the skill check, I beat it, and the game still doesn't "click" for me. But in fact, it clicks absolutely fine outside of boss fights.

u/Zechs brilliantly summarized my problems with the game, even though funnily enough I have never played and AC game before. It was also funny to me that the big fear (completely invented by games media I think) is that Soulsbornring fans would be confused or displeased by AC6 because it was more mech than Elden Ring. But I actually am displeased because it's too much Elden Ring and not enough mech. That is- during boss fights, I don't feel like a mech, I feel like a tarnished.

Yesterday when I was trying to beat the cleaning robot I just quit.. for good. I was getting angry and not having fun.

And this more me, really- I don't wanna play hard games any more. I'm done. I'm too slow, every 3rd person action game has huge things I can barely see flying off screen and I'm just chasing them with the camera and that is the same feeling I get when my mom tells me to find her batteries in the closet but I looked everywhere and I'm telling you dammit they're not there ok fine I'll look again, lemme move everything, lemme get a flashlight, oh look here are batteries- no they're the wrong ones!- I'm telling you they're not there, oh wait you remembered they're in the attic HAHAHA ISN'T THAT HILARIOUS wait son why are you mad lol...

That. That feeling. I don't want it in my life any more.

I stupidly fell for the marketing line about how if you can't beat a boss you gotta change your loadout. That is true only to an extent (i.e., Balteus goes down quicker with plasma weapons because it has a plasma shield), but it's a very minor extent. Boss fights work in this game like they do in Soulsbornering- you can find videos and Frextralifes about best builds and strategies and they absolutely work for some people, but just as often I have to do my own thing. Which in and of itself is fine- it was part of the fun of the previous From games. But it is simply contradictory to the idea that builds and experimentation are so important. No- they're marginally important. Enjoying invisible flying giants attacking from off camera is the fun, but it ain't for me.

I actually knew I was done with AC6 after I did beat Balteus. I was just... tired. I turned off the game and took my wife for a walk to clear my head and enjoy the sunset and apologize for wasting $60. I only came back to it the next day cause I figured heck I already bought the game and when I giant pair of arms managed to chase my down across a mile long battle arena and trap me in a corner I couldn't get out of I was just like... nah, f** this, video games are supposed to be fun. I mean I know I can try and try again and beat it, it is absolutely easier than Balteaus, I just don't care.

Video games are like junk food- better to take the loss of money than finish something you don't enjoy and feel bad.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Phantom, and Cerberus are two of the best examples of "get good or go home" bosses.
In DMC1, if Phantom didn't hammer it in, then Shadow (a mini boss) and Nelo Angelo would do it to the player in the two following missions afterward. I heard most people returned or traded in the original release of DMC3, because of Agni & Rudra. To be fair, Capcom did switch the difficulties to make the game harder in the western release, which is why the special edition even happened in the first place.

For Viewtiful Joe, it's usually Another Joe as a stopping gap. God Hand: Mr. Gold and Mr. Silver, Elvis, or the demon's that spawn at random.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
In DMC1, if Phantom didn't hammer it in, then Shadow (a mini boss) and Nelo Angelo would do it to the player in the two following missions afterward. I heard most people returned or traded in the original release of DMC3, because of Agni & Rudra. To be fair, Capcom did switch the difficulties to make the game harder in the western release, which is why the special edition even happened in the first place.

For Viewtiful Joe, it's usually Another Joe as a stopping gap. God Hand: Mr. Gold and Mr. Silver, Elvis, or the demon's that spawn at random.
Yeah, Cerberus is the "get good or go home boss" while Agni and Rudra are the "Huh? Didn't you hear him? He said go home!" boss.

Reactions: BrawlMan

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Balteus is supposed to be the skill check, I beat it, and the game still doesn't "click" for me. But in fact, it clicks absolutely fine outside of boss fights.

u/Zechs brilliantly summarized my problems with the game, even though funnily enough I have never played and AC game before. It was also funny to me that the big fear (completely invented by games media I think) is that Soulsbornring fans would be confused or displeased by AC6 because it was more mech than Elden Ring. But I actually am displeased because it's too much Elden Ring and not enough mech. That is- during boss fights, I don't feel like a mech, I feel like a tarnished.

Yesterday when I was trying to beat the cleaning robot I just quit.. for good. I was getting angry and not having fun.

And this more me, really- I don't wanna play hard games any more. I'm done. I'm too slow, every 3rd person action game has huge things I can barely see flying off screen and I'm just chasing them with the camera and that is the same feeling I get when my mom tells me to find her batteries in the closet but I looked everywhere and I'm telling you dammit they're not there ok fine I'll look again, lemme move everything, lemme get a flashlight, oh look here are batteries- no they're the wrong ones!- I'm telling you they're not there, oh wait you remembered they're in the attic HAHAHA ISN'T THAT HILARIOUS wait son why are you mad lol...

That. That feeling. I don't want it in my life any more.

I stupidly fell for the marketing line about how if you can't beat a boss you gotta change your loadout. That is true only to an extent (i.e., Balteus goes down quicker with plasma weapons because it has a plasma shield), but it's a very minor extent. Boss fights work in this game like they do in Soulsbornering- you can find videos and Frextralifes about best builds and strategies and they absolutely work for some people, but just as often I have to do my own thing. Which in and of itself is fine- it was part of the fun of the previous From games. But it is simply contradictory to the idea that builds and experimentation are so important. No- they're marginally important. Enjoying invisible flying giants attacking from off camera is the fun, but it ain't for me.

I actually knew I was done with AC6 after I did beat Balteus. I was just... tired. I turned off the game and took my wife for a walk to clear my head and enjoy the sunset and apologize for wasting $60. I only came back to it the next day cause I figured heck I already bought the game and when I giant pair of arms managed to chase my down across a mile long battle arena and trap me in a corner I couldn't get out of I was just like... nah, f** this, video games are supposed to be fun. I mean I know I can try and try again and beat it, it is absolutely easier than Balteaus, I just don't care.

Video games are like junk food- better to take the loss of money than finish something you don't enjoy and feel bad.
OMG, this. Balteus has also left me with the sense of exhaustion rather than accomplishments.

From my teen years to my mid-20s, I always loved challenges. But starting around 27 I felt I just couldn't handle hardship as much as before. To that end, I've began to use cheats. I would NEVER cheat in a multiplayer game (then again I stopped playing multiplayer games for a few years now), and I always make sure I try everything and at least few attempts in a singleplayer game, but come the fuck on, how much torture am I supposed to take?

I'll be honest excluding AC6, Elden Ring, and Bloodborne, I've cheated to at least some degree on every FS games that I've ever played. I've also cheated in the likes of Borderlands 2, Halo Legendary runs, DOS2 Honormode, Hollow Knight, Salt and Sanctuary, and most recently in Baldur's Gate 3. Because sometimes fuck sense of pirde and accomplishments.

Like, if you want to do a clean run and continue to smash your face against the wall, more power to you. But not for me; I just want to see what's next in the game.

Surprisingly, despite the feeling of exhaustion, I don't really feel like cheating and I wanna keep coming back to this game. Just to see what kind of more ridiculous shit I will witness

Last edited: