Armored Core 6 gameplay finally revealed.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
And it looks like armored core. Which is good since armored core always had a kinda unique playing style compaired to most other giant robot games. It is looking really good... Yeah, not sure what else to add, looks like very pretty armored core.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Importantly, it look very much not like armored core 5.

It mostly seems to draw from AC4 generation, lots of boosting and flying, quick boost and fight against really big monster/mech. No kojima shield, which is fine since I never though they brought anything interesting gameplay wise. It might a bit less flying than AC4, so maybe more like last raven level, where you can make perma flying setup but there's still some reason not to. The focus on tank AC makes it seems like shoulder mounted weapon might not be fireable while moving like some older entry. I can't tell if the massive energy sword and whip thingy are actually player usable weapon or just special enemy.

But yeah, this look about as good as I could hope for. Here's hoping the PC port isn't garbage and there's no forced online stuff.

Might order the special edition for that sweet mech figure.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm looking forward to this a lot. I never played the other games(Being from the PS3/XBOX360 era doesn't help this at all) and I hope it's as fun to play as it looks.
Most of the older games are hard get into, because of jank and obtusiveness. I've only ever played ACII and a little of ACIV. I never played ACV on 7th generation consoles, but that game was love it or hate it. I don't remember, because it's been too long and never followed the series much.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Importantly, it look very much not like armored core 5.
Love Armored Core 4 as much as I do... I kinda liked 5's vibe a little more. Could've done with 60FPS at least though, but in terms of gameplay I was pretty into it. The longer missions were also, to me, a bit more fun than stuff I could wrap up in less than 60 seconds.

Whatever inspiration 6 takes from though... hot damn, am I ever excited. Can't believe it's been this long since we got an Armored Core game, and it looks like they're gonna make it pretty special

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Longer mission of 5 meant less modifying your mech to be well adapted to the mission rather than just be generally okay and able to deal with any situation. Wasn't that big a fan of having to switch between control scheme mid fight. But I mostly just hope they don't make it online first game. Although I will say that as much as I like the hyper speed of 4, I do hope they slow things down closer to older one.

As far as older game, the PS1-PS2 emulate just fine (hey, if they're not going to make them available on modern console, why not? Mine are sitting in storage if anyone want to "borrow" my "license" we buy when purchasing game). If you want to jump into it without any prior knowledge, I'd recommend starting with 3 or nexus. 3 will give you a good idea of the franchise, but older AC game have... unique control scheme (it took them awhile to notice that analogue stick exist). Nexus is the first one that used analogue stick for control, but it's not the best one aside from that. Last raven, the expansion to nexus is much better, but its also ball to the wall hard if you've never played any other AC game.

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Longer mission of 5 meant less modifying your mech to be well adapted to the mission rather than just be generally okay and able to deal with any situation.
I guess since this is how I usually did things, I didn't find it too big of an issue. 5 did require me to more heavily re-tune my AC for a few boss fights though, and I did a lot of customizing when I got better stuff or wanted to gear towards a gameplay/combat style I liked and slowly developed.

Although I will say that as much as I like the hyper speed of 4, I do hope they slow things down closer to older one.
If the quick boosts in the gameplay trailer are anything to go by, it looks like they did slow it down a little.
And... if you consider 4 as "hyper speed", one only has to go back to For Answer to see they cranked it even further

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Looks sick, really hoping it actually controls well. I'm pretty sure I could tell if I like it with just 5 seconds of hands on, so really hoping for a demo or beta to come out before release.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Longer mission of 5 meant less modifying your mech to be well adapted to the mission rather than just be generally okay and able to deal with any situation.
I'm fine with that. I prefer spending more time playing than scrolling through menus.

If a 2 minute mission requires 5 minutes of set up then something is wrong.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Looks fun. Hope the pc port is ok. Then again, From Software, so probably not.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

And it looks like armored core. Which is good since armored core always had a kinda unique playing style compaired to most other giant robot games. It is looking really good... Yeah, not sure what else to add, looks like very pretty armored core.

What's interesting is the lead designer of Sekiro is the director of ArC6 (throwing an "r" in there since AC is, well...yeah).

Also, this sounds good -

As for structure, players shouldn’t expect Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon to carry on the massive open-world design seen in games like Elden Ring. Instead, Yamamura said the sixth entry will continue with a mission-based structure as it tells a “completely fresh new story” with “no direct links with previous games in terms of continuing story.” We don’t know much about this new story, but we do know that it takes place in the wake of a great catastrophe on a planet called Rubicon 3.

I've never played an Armored Core game but one minor nitpick for the new one which might not mean anything, it looks like the older games had the mechs using their legs to run moreso than sliding around like they're on skates. Running mechs just looks much more impressive. Hell I really liked whenever you were able to pilot one in MGS series too. Footage is still limited but I can't imagine they'd not have that option in the new one.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I've never played an Armored Core game but one minor nitpick for the new one which might not mean anything, it looks like the older games had the mechs using their legs to run moreso than sliding around like they're on skates. Running mechs just looks much more impressive. Hell I really liked whenever you were able to pilot one in MGS series too. Footage is still limited but I can't imagine they'd not have that option in the new one.
Daemon X Machina had it where moving at a slow speed made your mech walk, but once you picked up enough speed it activated that more skate-like movement. Armored Core 4/4A (and maybe 5? I forget) had it where you had to hold a button to engage your boosters and move along the ground/air in this manner. I admit I preferred the DxM style because it meant I didn't have to hold an extra button to move along the ground more smoothly, just when I wanted to fly. It LOOKS cool walking around in your AC, but it was so slow that you never really would. I don't see an issue with them trimming it up/making it like DxM

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Daemon X Machina had it where moving at a slow speed made your mech walk, but once you picked up enough speed it activated that more skate-like movement. Armored Core 4/4A (and maybe 5? I forget) had it where you had to hold a button to engage your boosters and move along the ground/air in this manner. I admit I preferred the DxM style because it meant I didn't have to hold an extra button to move along the ground more smoothly, just when I wanted to fly. It LOOKS cool walking around in your AC, but it was so slow that you never really would. I don't see an issue with them trimming it up/making it like DxM
Yeah that sounds like a practical way to do it.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I'm gonna be a big baby and say I hope the game isn't too hard. I like how it looks, I like that it's not open world, I wanna fight and blow shit up. "Director of Sekiro" and "FromSoftware" make me expect quality but if I have to fight the same damn thing a million times to git gud... I don't think I have that in my anymore.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm gonna be a big baby and say I hope the game isn't too hard.
The Armored Core franchise is known to be difficult. It's Not Dark Souls difficult, but more an obtuse difficulty. I am more so talking about the first three games. They did ease up a bit with Armored Core 4 & 5, but don't expect a walk in the park what this news entry. I'm sure they'll modernize it and program a well balanced difficulty, but it's not going to be an easy game.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
It varies a bit from entry to entry, but quite a few of them had branching story, with the default branch being fairly easy and the alternate branch having the really hard stuff. A few of them also had difficulty setting (the good kind where the mission would change rather than just increase enemy stats).

Difficulty can also be mediated a lot by having the right mech for the mission, if you know you'll be fighting an enemy that uses a lot of missile you can equip your mech with anti missile setup and that'll make things much easier.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I'm gonna be a big baby and say I hope the game isn't too hard. I like how it looks, I like that it's not open world, I wanna fight and blow shit up. "Director of Sekiro" and "FromSoftware" make me expect quality but if I have to fight the same damn thing a million times to git gud... I don't think I have that in my anymore.
Think of it as being kind of like how Shin Megami Tensei is hard but if SMT was designed to appeal to gearhead nerds.