Armored Core 6 gameplay finally revealed.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
OMG, this. Balteus has also left me with the sense of exhaustion rather than accomplishments.

From my teen years to my mid-20s, I always loved challenges. But starting around 27 I felt I just couldn't handle hardship as much as before. To that end, I've began to use cheats. I would NEVER cheat in a multiplayer game (then again I stopped playing multiplayer games for a few years now), and I always make sure I try everything and at least few attempts in a singleplayer game, but come the fuck on, how much torture am I supposed to take?

I'll be honest excluding AC6, Elden Ring, and Bloodborne, I've cheated to at least some degree on every FS games that I've ever played. I've also cheated in the likes of Borderlands 2, Halo Legendary runs, DOS2 Honormode, Hollow Knight, Salt and Sanctuary, and most recently in Baldur's Gate 3. Because sometimes fuck sense of pirde and accomplishments.

Like, if you want to do a clean run and continue to smash your face against the wall, more power to you. But not for me; I just want to see what's next in the game.

Surprisingly, despite the feeling of exhaustion, I don't really feel like cheating and I wanna keep coming back to this game. Just to see what kind of more ridiculous shit I will witness/
Imo there is nothing wrong with using cheats to play through a game if that is what makes you have fun. It doesnt ruin the experience for anyone else and you get to enjoy the same game in your way. And the best part about it is that it doesnt make the developers have to do any extra work.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Imo there is nothing wrong with using cheats to play through a game if that is what makes you have fun. It doesnt ruin the experience for anyone else and you get to enjoy the same game in your way. And the best part about it is that it doesnt make the developers have to do any extra work.
What are we calling cheats? Like the first time I killed the Capra Demon, I read about how you can buy 50 literal pieces of shit and throw it over a wall at him, and I did that. Is that cheating, looking up stuff?

'Cause honestly I've cheated at every single video game I ever played lol

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
What are we calling cheats? Like the first time I killed the Capra Demon, I read about how you can buy 50 literal pieces of shit and throw it over a wall at him, and I did that. Is that cheating, looking up stuff?

'Cause honestly I've cheated at every single video game I ever played lol
No that's not cheating that's just grinding and farming.

I'm talking wemod. It's an external program that will grant you infinite health, infinite ammo, extreme DPS, infinite money, whatever. It changes depending on the game. But it's entirely free and it works will most mainstream games on PC allowing you to reduce or eliminate any struggle with the games.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
OMG, this. Balteus has also left me with the sense of exhaustion rather than accomplishments.

From my teen years to my mid-20s, I always loved challenges. But starting around 27 I felt I just couldn't handle hardship as much as before. To that end, I've began to use cheats. I would NEVER cheat in a multiplayer game (then again I stopped playing multiplayer games for a few years now), and I always make sure I try everything and at least few attempts in a singleplayer game, but come the fuck on, how much torture am I supposed to take?

I'll be honest excluding AC6, Elden Ring, and Bloodborne, I've cheated to at least some degree on every FS games that I've ever played. I've also cheated in the likes of Borderlands 2, Halo Legendary runs, DOS2 Honormode, Hollow Knight, Salt and Sanctuary, and most recently in Baldur's Gate 3. Because sometimes fuck sense of pirde and accomplishments.

Like, if you want to do a clean run and continue to smash your face against the wall, more power to you. But not for me; I just want to see what's next in the game.

Surprisingly, despite the feeling of exhaustion, I don't really feel like cheating and I wanna keep coming back to this game. Just to see what kind of more ridiculous shit I will witness
How do you feel about spiders?

Oddly enough, I watch a Youtuber play AC6 and they had a lot of trouble with Balteus but there's a later boss that people see as being harder that they beat in only three tries.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
How do you feel about spiders?

Oddly enough, I watch a Youtuber play AC6 and they had a lot of trouble with Balteus but there's a later boss that people see as being harder that they beat in only three tries.
You mean the sea spider boss?

Hmm, haven't got to that boss yet, but from all the clips I've seen so far, I think it has something to do with Balteus having an energy shield. Don't get me wrong, it still looks very annoying, but with Balteus I was constantly forced to keep attacking to first break the energy shield and then to do the actual damage before the shield came back on. And this is already on top of trying to dodging its attacks. It also probably has to do with you have to fight a miniboss before Balteus, and people might be burnted out from fighting that.

With spider, it very least doesn't have that. Kinda looking forward to fighting this thing.

I feel one thing to remember is that with training missions you get free parts, arena gives you OS chips for passive buffs, and everytime you die in missions you can swap out your parts to try different builds.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Also, we already have people smashing their controllers over this game; There goes $70 down the drain. I admit I did have a controller breaking rage once as well a long time ago for a different game, but I quickly found out these controllers aint cheap, and I'd rather punch my pillows than having to buy another one

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Also, we already have people smashing their controllers over this game; There goes the $70 down the drain. I admit I did have a controller breaking rage once as well a long time ago for a different game, but I quickly found out these controllers aint cheap, and I'd rather punch my pillows than having to buy another one
i dont think ive ever broke a controller in rage. dropped a few though.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Also, we already have people smashing their controllers over this game; There goes the $70 down the drain. I admit I did have a controller breaking rage once as well a long time ago for a different game, but I quickly found out these controllers aint cheap, and I'd rather punch my pillows than having to buy another one

i dont think ive ever broke a controller in rage. dropped a few though.
I broke a GameCube controller once in rage when playing Viewtiful Joe for the first time. Another Joe really sucks on the first time playthrough, if you don't know how to use Joe's powers properly. Most of the controller still worked, but I broke the left analog stick from the inside when I slammed it against a heavy chair.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I'm really enjoying the game mostly. I do feel like the boss fights are so difficult and so different to the rest of the game that they feel like they don't really belong (although I don't necessarily mind the challenge), but traversing the levels and fighting MTs and ACs feels fantastic. The customisation is great too, I think it has about the right amount of parts to offer a wide range of choices without overwhelming newer players.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Also, we already have people smashing their controllers over this game; There goes $70 down the drain. I admit I did have a controller breaking rage once as well a long time ago for a different game, but I quickly found out these controllers aint cheap, and I'd rather punch my pillows than having to buy another one

What a damn child.

I broke a GameCube controller once in rage when playing Viewtiful Joe for the first time. Another Joe really sucks on the first time playthrough, if you don't know how to use Joe's powers properly. Most of the controller still worked, but I broke the left analog stick from the inside when I slammed it against a heavy chair.
I've never tossed a controller in my life. Though I HAVE kicked a hole in a wall.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Finally had a bit more time to play, cleared the first chapter boss, which did take me about 10 attempts.

I can't help but feel like the game really doesn't want me to play as a close range build. The only two option available in ch.1 are garbage machine gun and shotgun that need long reload between every attack and so can't really take advantages of the stagger. On the other side there's 5+ different shoulder missiles. This is really annoying because one of the training give you these really nice machine gun to play with, I was really hoping they'd give them to me afterwards, but no. I think this is the most limiting initial variety of parts of any AC game.

I'm also not crazy about how some of the calculation are hidden from the player, changing parts will modify my QB charge time, but I have no idea if that's due to weight or energy.

Not crazy about the OS modification system since you can't modify it between build (at least that I found), if I put all my point into boosting energy weapon, I'm now pigeon hold in this build. Previous AC did have various system similar, but you could change them in between build so they were more fine tuning your mech.

The music for the chapter 1 boss was very good though, happy about that.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
What a damn child.
I've never tossed a controller in my life. Though I HAVE kicked a hole in a wall.
Yeah, I am never doing that.

Completed the helicopter boss. Took me about 6 tries and was frustrating. I know they want you to melee and use pattern recognition, but they didn't need to go that hard. Still took me less times than Phantom on my first playthrough.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Didn’t even Sekiro make a point of explaining its basic combat mechanics in the opening? Same with Elden Ring. And here I thought FROM was developing a more user-friendly streak.
Not all of the combat mechanics are explained in Sekiro in the opening, same with Elden Ring. The difference is that in Sekiro and Elden Ring you're meant to lose to the first boss, but here you're expected to beat them.

In Armored Core all of the mechanics are later explained in the training missions (and doing those gives you access to additional parts), but during the tutorial you're expected to intuit some things you haven't been explicitly taught.

I wouldn't be surprised if the first 2 training missions were originally supposed to come before the tutorial mission and then it was determined that wasn't engaging enough.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Not all of the combat mechanics are explained in Sekiro in the opening, same with Elden Ring. The difference is that in Sekiro and Elden Ring you're meant to lose to the first boss, but here you're expected to beat them.

In Armored Core all of the mechanics are later explained in the training missions (and doing those gives you access to additional parts), but during the tutorial you're expected to intuit some things you haven't been explicitly taught.

I wouldn't be surprised if the first 2 training missions were originally supposed to come before the tutorial mission and then it was determined that wasn't engaging enough.
Aside from the Chapel of Anticipation boss I think FROM kinda broke tradition with ER’s tutorial area, because that “boss” was an absolute chump. It spawned the “Soldier of God, Rick” meme.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Aside from the Chapel of Anticipation boss I think FROM kinda broke tradition with ER’s tutorial area, because that “boss” was an absolute chump. It spawned the “Soldier of God, Rick” meme.
The Grafted Scion is the tutorial area boss.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Loving the old-style PS2 action mixed with new school, mission selection, and the use of voices only for the characters. We're literally playing another throwback PS2 game done right! 2023 has done it again! BTW, this popped in my head.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Finally had a bit more time to play, cleared the first chapter boss, which did take me about 10 attempts.

I can't help but feel like the game really doesn't want me to play as a close range build. The only two option available in ch.1 are garbage machine gun and shotgun that need long reload between every attack and so can't really take advantages of the stagger. On the other side there's 5+ different shoulder missiles. This is really annoying because one of the training give you these really nice machine gun to play with, I was really hoping they'd give them to me afterwards, but no. I think this is the most limiting initial variety of parts of any AC game.

I'm also not crazy about how some of the calculation are hidden from the player, changing parts will modify my QB charge time, but I have no idea if that's due to weight or energy.

Not crazy about the OS modification system since you can't modify it between build (at least that I found), if I put all my point into boosting energy weapon, I'm now pigeon hold in this build. Previous AC did have various system similar, but you could change them in between build so they were more fine tuning your mech.

The music for the chapter 1 boss was very good though, happy about that.
The pistol is not to be underestimated, as it can fire pretty high impact shots at a consistent pace, which makes it a good partner for the sword and/or some slower firing back weapons. The machine guns have similar utility, and are very light, which opens up a lot of weight and energy allowance for back weapons. Guided missiles, especially the vertical launch ones, work well at most ranges, so can give some ranged punch to a cqb build and help pressure targets as you close in for melee. I prefer a fast sword-pistol-missiles cqb build for traversing levels and fighting in the arena, but find dual machine guns or pistols and larger back weapons works better for the big bosses. You can also respec your OS points for a pittance, which can easily be recouped from one replayed mission or arena fight.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
The pistol is not to be underestimated, as it can fire pretty high impact shots at a consistent pace, which makes it a good partner for the sword and/or some slower firing back weapons. The machine guns have similar utility, and are very light, which opens up a lot of weight and energy allowance for back weapons. Guided missiles, especially the vertical launch ones, work well at most ranges, so can give some ranged punch to a cqb build and help pressure targets as you close in for melee. I prefer a fast sword-pistol-missiles cqb build for traversing levels and fighting in the arena, but find dual machine guns or pistols and larger back weapons works better for the big bosses. You can also respec your OS points for a pittance, which can easily be recouped from one replayed mission or arena fight.
Didn't see you could respec OS point, good to know (although I'd prefer if you could attach that to AC setup).

As for pistol, they have really low ammo count which really limit their use. I do use missile, but mostly because I don't have a choice since there is so little variety available. Dual machine gun is what I've always done, I switched to the massive gatling gun now that they've finally given me something else to use, I'll see how I like those.