General Gaming News.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
For dark humor, can’t help but think what if Embracer Group had three distinct divisions: one to buy up companies, one to milk them for all they’re worth, and one to dissolve them when they fuck the first two up.
You're more than likely on to something. I already don't trust them.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
For dark humor, can’t help but think what if Embracer Group had three distinct divisions: one to buy up companies, one to milk them for all they’re worth, and one to dissolve them when they fuck the first two up.
Thing is, despite having bought up so many studios, as well as many IPs, they don't have many of the latter that are moneymakers. Tomb Raider, Borderlands, Saint's Row (they still own the IP)and LotR are the most prominent ones. The first two have upcoming entries, but are still at least a year or more out, and Saint's Row and LotR, well, we know what happened there. Deus Ex is a big name, but not a big bank franchise. Same for stuff like Legacy of Kain, Thief and Gothic. Dead Island 2 and Remnant 2 supposedly sold well, but I'm not sure if a couple minor hits is enough to offset all those acquisitions and a number of big flops (and the Saudis pulling out of €2B dollar partnership deal).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
My respects to the company, my disrespects to the fans who wanted another SR2 and SR3

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
@Chimpzy, @CriticalGaming, @thebobmaster, & @hanselthecaretaker2.

That's a very nice and gracious farewell. I think the majority of us don't like seeing studios close, when we hate on a game or hate design choices made for a game, I don't think most people do that out of malice but out of passion. Gamers want good games, especially from developers we KNOW can make good shit. So even when a developer does some dumb shit, we call it out and we shit on them not because we want them gone, but because we want them to be better. To do better, and make the kinds of games we know they can make. The sad fact is that there is a also of business behind making games and you don't get many chances to fail in really any business. Volition is a result of just bad directions made for their games over the past few releases and you can't have a streak like that without the end coming eventually.

Saint's Row as a reboot could totally have worked, but the execution was so poor that part of me wonders if they simply ran out of time. Did Volition know the closure was coming anytime and rushed to get one final game out the door at any cost? The bugs, the bad writing, all of that could be explained by a studio under a rushed panic to get one final title out the door.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
My boys, Nero and Gene are in UvMC3:CE!

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
If anyone was interested in the Wayfinder early access kerfuffle

Basically if you got caught in the insane queues they effectively gave you the entirely early access cost back in goodies.

Also
" We have also adjusted the skin and weapons price discussed in our previous communication right at launch. Anyone that made a purchase at the previous price point has been refunded the Runesilver, and moving forward we’ve adjusted the prices permanently for similar weapons + items. "

Which was in reference to things costing like, 150 more then the currency packs (so you'd have to buy a 1000+500 pack for instance). Which I think is the first F2P game I've ever interacted with that has abandoned that nonsense)

(the rest is bugs and roadmap stuff only even vaguely relevant if you're playing the game)

Reactions: meiam

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Some supposed leaks from I Am A Hero Too, a leaker with a fairly decent track record.
Sega:
- Another Sonic is coming next year, along with Jet Set, Comix Zone and a new Guardian Heroes (not sure on the date for that one)
-Persona 6 is a bit further away than last time I updated. I don't think it's making 2024 (original plan was reveal last winter)
-Main theme of P6 is "black and white", it's still too early to talk about, I'm waiting on other leakers before the floodgates open
-There is another Persona game yet to be revealed, it's a party game
-Switch 2 devkits have been here a while, I can verify it is backwards compatible with a few games tested. New cartridge. New camera feature.

Square:
-FF9 remake WAS summer 2024, not sure about that anymore, game needs some polishing, that's about it
-FF7R2 ends with a new protag set up for part 3. Take your guesses what happens.
-X remake/X3 has a skeleton crew, it is NOT making it's anniversary
-Square has new PS5 devkits, we're assuming these are the "Pro"
-FF7R looks and runs like a PS5 game on Switch 2 devkit. Port took no time I'm told. Could be a launch game, not sure yet.
Keep in mind this should all be taken with a planetoid of salt.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Some supposed leaks from I Am A Hero Too, a leaker with a fairly decent track record.

Keep in mind this should all be taken with a planetoid of salt.
Jet Set, Comix Zone and a new Guardian Heroes (not sure on the date for that one)
Fuck yeah! About damn time! BTW Sega, can you port the 2011 of GH re-release from XBLA and make it on all available consoles and PC? That would be great. Thanks Chimp. You made me a happy Sega fan right now!

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

Okay, if this rumor is true, then I really hope (but doubt) GTA 6 will be something mind-blowing. I mean it's asking more than double the price of regular AAA games, it needs to be near perfect.

Or they could realize this is a ridiculous price tag and drop it back down to $60-70.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

Okay, if this rumor is true, then I really hope (but doubt) GTA 6 will be something mind-blowing. I mean it's asking more than double the price of regular AAA games, it needs to be near perfect.

Or they could realize this is a ridiculous price tag and drop it back down to $60-70.
Wouldn’t surprise me, but regardless of how advanced it is they’ll have a hell of a time justifying it to people outside of admitting to mismanagement of funds (most of which are from milking the last GTA) via development hell.

Reactions: FakeSympathy