Game Articles and Videos Thread

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Fyi, this is the ceo of Gamestop. It's not wrong, but it's obvious there's other interests aside from the consumer's at play here. Also, haha, get fucked Apple.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I would really love to see some numbers or polling on physical vs digital games. I just cannot imagine the vast majority of people give a crap about physical games any more.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I would really love to see some numbers or polling on physical vs digital games. I just cannot imagine the vast majority of people give a crap about physical games any more.
It is true that most younger people are buying digital over physical, but those same people will start giving a rat's ass when they lose a game they care about, can't play the multiplayer anymore because the servers are down, or gets removed from digital stores forever. Only. At some point these games will either get removed or shut down. With the only way to keep saving a preserve them is having a physical copy or via emulation. I am a physical forever, but not every game I'm going to get physically. If it's game I notice going to be whatever or I am only going to play the one time, then I'll just get the digital version at a sale.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
What do physical copies have to do with multiplayer servers? The reason servers go down is that the company doesn't want to spend the money to keep it running.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
What do physical copies have to do with multiplayer servers?
You be surprised. Did you not forget the 7th or 8th generation games that have a single player and multiplayer. Only for the multiplayer get shut down at some point for most of these games.

The reason servers go down is that the company doesn't want to spend the money to keep it running.
More than likely, and an absolute, not making all the entire universe as we've seen earlier this year. It still doesn't change the fact that these games become lost forever or you can't access certain multiplayer modes anymore. God help you, if your single player game is tied to a server, and you can't play anymore because the server went down. The only other option is to pirate or crack the game. Which most people don't have access to nor want to put the effort into doing so.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
> God help you, if your single player game is tied to a server, and you can't play anymore because the server went down.
Right, this I get. That is different than multiplayer servers in a game that has that feature.
Like the example I will think of is Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, the first game I encountered that was single player but also had a multiplayer mode. They then shut down the multiplayer servers for it. But whether you have a physical copy of the game or not has nothing to do with that, they shut it down because they kept releasing more games with more multiplayers and weren't going to support the older ones.

I will say that your physical disc can break or scratch and then you can't play it, either. I used to own literally thousands of CDs and dozens of DVDs and those things can scratch and mess you up. Moving to primarily digital in all my media has created immense convenience, stability and portability.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
By the time the PS3 store shut down for instance, my PS3 had stopped working 6 years prior and I hadn't used it in like 8.

I really wasn't planning to go make a run back through Tokyo Jungle, Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit, or even FF9 (Which I also had on it though)

(I can also you tell from a specialized perspective, iPhone users will b**** endlessly about the cable changing even if it does make sense)

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
> (I can also you tell from a specialized perspective, iPhone users will b**** endlessly about the cable changing even if it does make sense)

Not any iPhone users I know. My wife and I for example cheered when we saw the news. She's actually an Apple loyalist but will make fun of their pretentions.

Kind of like me with PlayStation, and those two product lines are compared as going for boutique or luxury aesthetics. But I'm right there with everyone else criticizing their PS+ price hike, wishing their exclusive games weren't exclusive (or at least that their PC ports would be more consistent), making fun of their new handheld that doesn't have games or whatever, and whatever anti-consumer nonsense they get up to.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
They then shut down the multiplayer servers for it. But whether you have a physical copy of the game or not has nothing to do with that, they shut it down because they kept releasing more games with more multiplayers and weren't going to support the older ones.
You're missing the point. Regardless of his physical or not, when it's gone forever, it's gone forever unless you have a physical copy. If there's a single player or multiplayer with bots, the game is at least still playable. The fact that many AAA companies and Microsoft at one point, don't want people owning physical copies shows how over controlling and assholes they are or have become.

I will say that your physical disc can break or scratch and then you can't play it, either. I used to own literally thousands of CDs and dozens of DVDs and those things can scratch and mess you up. Moving to primarily digital in all my media has created immense convenience, stability and portability.
So? It's called take care of your stuff. I know accident it's going to happen, still can get lost, or things can get stolen, but it's not that hard to take care of cds, dvds, or tapes. I know you're more of a digital person, but most people can take care of their stuff fine. It's important to have the shelf space but that's why I mentioned when it comes to certain digital games, I won't get a physical version if I feel the game is not worth the shelf space.. I know you say you jump back in late, but I remember around mid to late seventh generation, people who grew up during the PS1 and PS2 era, finally started taking care of their CD games. Because they finally realized: "oh shit, these games are expensive!. My brother and I must have been some of the unluckiest sobs but before that point, we would try to avoid buying used games. I'm exaggerating, but I swear we had to take a used game back at least once or twice when we shopped at a GameStop or sometimes a Game Crazy around the PS2 and GC days.

By the time the PS3 store shut down for instance, my PS3 had stopped working 6 years prior and I hadn't used it in like 8.
The PS3 was a disaster when it came to hardware development. The controlers were only last you 10 years at best. The moment you open the controller; that's it. You only get 10 years and then it dies. I'm grateful I never got a PS3, cuz most of the games I wanted either got ported to the PS4 or other modern consoles.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
> (I can also you tell from a specialized perspective, iPhone users will b**** endlessly about the cable changing even if it does make sense)

Not any iPhone users I know. My wife and I for example cheered when we saw the news. She's actually an Apple loyalist but will make fun of their pretentions.

Kind of like me with PlayStation, and those two product lines are compared as going for boutique or luxury aesthetics. But I'm right there with everyone else criticizing their PS+ price hike, wishing their exclusive games weren't exclusive (or at least that their PC ports would be more consistent), making fun of their new handheld that doesn't have games or whatever, and whatever anti-consumer nonsense they get up to.
The criticism I've have for the PS+ price is more of a "forced bundling" thing. Some of the freebie bundles for stuff like WArframe, discounts and 3 games a month (obviously your opinions can vary on the quality of those) certainly even out the value proposition. But if they feel compelled to require it for multiplayer there should be the singular econo option for just that.

Without getting too specific, I can tell you at least twice a day on average I listen to someone complaining about the iStuff that already does use USB-C instead of lightning.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I remember having looked this up not too long ago and, across all platforms, digital is about 72% of all console game revenue. Iirc, Playstation is about 85% digital, while Xbox is supposedly 90% digital. Nintendo is the odd man out, with a roughly 50/50 split. Mind you, that's revenue, so also includes a lot of digital only stuff like dlc, microtransactions, season passes, and whatnot.

Tho that doesn't include mobile and pc, both of which take up sizeable chunks of the overall market, and both of which are either respectively all digital and so close to 100% it might as well be. Which would skew the balance over to digital even further.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I remember having looked this up not too long ago and, across all platforms, digital is about 72% of all console game revenue. Iirc, Playstation is about 85% digital, while Xbox is supposedly 90% digital. Nintendo is the odd man out, with a roughly 50/50 split. Mind you, that's revenue, so also includes a lot of digital only stuff like dlc, microtransactions, season passes, and whatnot.

Tho that doesn't include mobile and pc, both of which take up sizeable chunks of the overall market, and both of which are either respectively all digital and so close to 100% it might as well be. Which would skew the balance over to digital even further.
Thanks!

Lol Nintendo, always so... Nintendo. Come to think of it when I visit family and see the nieces and nephews running around with their Switches they are also having those tiny little disks, so yeah I guess something about Nintendo welcomes the physical. Could be parents buying them as gifts maybe.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Thanks!

Lol Nintendo, always so... Nintendo. Come to think of it when I visit family and see the nieces and nephews running around with their Switches they are also having those tiny little disks, so yeah I guess something about Nintendo welcomes the physical. Could be parents buying them as gifts maybe.
Nintendo just doesn't put enough storage into the consoles for non-physical to really be viable at the end of the day. (Nor are you likely to hook an external to a portable even if they supported that)

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Nintendo just doesn't put enough storage into the consoles for non-physical to really be viable at the end of the day. (Nor are you likely to hook an external to a portable even if they supported that)
True, tho I'd say a small investment does make all digital viable for most users. A suitable 512gb micro sd sets you back about 40 bucks. If that's not enough, you can get a 1tb for about 100. Tho the 512 should already last you a good while. Afaik Switch games top out at 32gb, and those are outliers. Most of the games you find physical at retail are 16gb or less, including all Nintendo 1st party. Indies are mostly less than that, with many sub 1gb.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Unless the pc part of that thing is actually beer cooled, it's a waste of parts. Also, what's with the leetspeak name? That was already old by the mid 00s

Last edited:

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland

Unless the pc part of that thing is actually beer cooled, it's a waste of parts.
That's also an energetic abjection. Building a fridge inside a source of heat. A symbol of today's level of ecological awareness and responsibility.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Unless the pc part of that thing is actually beer cooled, it's a waste of parts. Also, what's with the leetspeak name? That was already old by the mid 00s
I swear it's that fried chicken 🐔 🍗 console all over again. As for the leetspeak, someone at the top must be really out of touch or haven't touched the internet since the early 2000s.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2