Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

God, Tencent keeps getting bigger. And I do not trust any gaming industries from China or Korea
I get the China thing. I know nothing about Korean gaming aside from Starcraft being super popular(or at least it apparently was) and apparently MMOs are big.

Is there a quick rundown or source on what's going on that I should be aware of? I apologize if I've asked this before or you've already answered it.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

KrewNoah

Aug 25, 2023
Country
United States
I agree with you that there should be a thread for random goings-on or features on games. It would be a good place to share videos, articles, and other content that doesn't quite fit into the other existing threads. I think the name "General Gaming" would be a good fit for this thread.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Guardian, I know you and I don't know why you have to ask a rhetorical question like that. "Is that a good thing?". It varies from game to game, but for a majority, that's a no. Even the "best of the best" have their own issues or problems. That's why I don't care for games like DIV in general.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The Xbox 360/PS3 title The Darkness might be getting the remaster treatment. If you've not experienced it, hopefully this remastering gives you the chance. Hell, imho, it's worth dusting off your 360/PS3 and booting it back up on its original platform. It's one of my favorite games from the 360/PS3 generation.

And I'll acknowledge my own hypocrisy. I tend to complain when addressing the current state of things with everything getting remastered in lieu of fresh, new ideas and IPs, but then someone announces they're remastering a game I personally love, and I'm on board. I know, I get it, so I'll say it plainly: either remaster something I like, or don't remaster anything at all.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
The Xbox 360/PS3 title The Darkness might be getting the remaster treatment. If you've not experienced it, hopefully this remastering gives you the chance. Hell, imho, it's worth dusting off your 360/PS3 and booting it back up on its original platform. It's one of my favorite games from the 360/PS3 generation.

And I'll acknowledge my own hypocrisy. I tend to complain when addressing the current state of things with everything getting remastered in lieu of fresh, new ideas and IPs, but then someone announces they're remastering a game I personally love, and I'm on board. I know, I get it, so I'll say it plainly: either remaster something I like, or don't remaster anything at all.
Given my pile of shame, I do try to tell myself not to buy a remaster of a game I already have but have not finished.
Then they go and do something like give "The Darkness" the treatment.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
I get the China thing. I know nothing about Korean gaming aside from Starcraft being super popular(or at least it apparently was) and apparently MMOs are big.

Is there a quick rundown or source on what's going on that I should be aware of? I apologize if I've asked this before or you've already answered it.
It's fine, there's a reason why Korean gaming industry isn't talked about.

South Korea never really got into global gaming sales until recently. This was due to the social stigma of treating gaming as an unprofitable and immature thing to do. You are right in StarCraft; That game helped in kickstarting career in gaming. Thanks to twitch and youtube, simply livestreaming or recording gameplay has also became viable options.

But game development has always stayed pretty exclusive to Korea and Asian countries. It wasn't around mid-2000s Maplestory began launching servers across the globe. As someone who missed playing MS, this was an amazing thing for me. Most of the games that Korea developed were free to play, and this was the beginning of a very bad sign.

As with any f2p games, there had to be SOMETHING that the devs could money off of, and it was microtransactions. It first started with innocent cosmetics, but then it moved on to more p2w stuff. This happened not only in MS, but also in nearly every pc multiplayer games in Korea, which was majority of games that everyone played. And as time went on, it kept getting egregious.

After the birth of smartphones and mobile gaming, this was when devs REALLY began to monetize everything. In fact, it was so bad, when Diablo Immortal came out people in Korea said it was more "nicer" in terms of monetization compared to other games. Yep, they actually said Diablo Immortal was LESS MONEY-HUNGRY than other games they played.

This is why I fucking hate the likes of Nexon, NetMarble, NCSoft, and other publishers; They are the reason why Korean Gaming Industry gets a bad rep, and gaming as a hobby in general.

Thankfully, some devs decided to take the risk of selling their games internationally, like the Lies of P. So hopefully I can finally start feeling enthusiastic about games made in Korea

Reactions: BrawlMan

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
1st Review of Starfield I've seen.
Guy liked a lot about it but found it mostly full of vast empty areas and repetitive action scenes. As it is play anywhere, it is on my radar. Even with my pile of shame. Sadly, no VR mode at this time.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I don't mind a remaster, so long as it's done good, or major improvements are made and necessary. Even if it's a game I don't care for or like, I won't have a problem, as long as it's done right with care and attention.

@CriticalGaming, @hanselthecaretaker2, @The Rogue Wolf, @thebobmaster, & @Old_Hunter_77.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I don't mind a remaster, so long as it's done good, or major improvements are made and necessary. Even if it's a game I don't care for or like, I won't have a problem, as long as it's done right with care and attention.

@CriticalGaming, @hanselthecaretaker2, @The Rogue Wolf, @thebobmaster, & @Old_Hunter_77.

At first I’m thinking, “Ok, maybe I’ll just let my + sub that runs out in a few days lapse until they either revert the increase or I find it cheap somewhere.” Now I’m just thinking, “Ok, maybe I’ll just switch to PC exclusively.”

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

Yep, this video summed up everything I hate about modern game industry practices and the reliance on live-service; I am not waiting for a game to get fixed eventually, and keep playing just to see what's next in the new season.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Lost Era of So Bad It's Good. For you @Chimpzy.

I wasn't surprised Wanted Dead came at the end of the video. I still wouldn't get it, even at a budget price. While some developers from Ninja Gaiden did help program the game, most of the staff are from Devil's Third. Thus the game plays more the latter instead of the former, but slightly more polished, nowhere near the depth and complexity of NG. All of the No More Heroes games play better than WD, so it's a hard no for me.

Yep, this video summed up everything I hate about modern game industry practices and the reliance on live-service; I am not waiting for a game to get fixed eventually, and keep playing just to see what's next in the new season.
This the told you so, I and many others kept saying for years, but some people didn't want to listen. I'm not just talking about younger games, that includes many in my age gap, and those older us that kept letting it slide, or make pathetic defenses about it. The major blame lies on those at the top in publishing roles, but consumers of all types didn't help. It is nice to see some backlash coming from all age gaps. This is why I have been less invested in buying major AAA titles, and have been sticking to smaller scale games. They can have their own programming issues and bugs, but on smaller or indie studios, I usually a bit more lenient, because most of them boil down to a small team or one person.