General Gaming News.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Don't have much to add, it is what it is.
It was bound to happen eventually and we are already about to enter the Switch's 7th year, which is the average length of a "generation" anyway. So Christmas 2024 for Switch 2 seems about right.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I originally was a bit taken back by an big-wig saying something that makes sense. But then I realized; he's saying to attract more foot traffic to the stores.
Doesn't surprise me. I am more or less done with GameStop at this point. I haven't pre-ordered anything since AC6. I'm thinking just preordering from Amazon or someplace else. My local GS has been making too many mistakes lately and it's getting annoying and tiring.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
It was bound to happen eventually and we are already about to enter the Switch's 7th year, which is the average length of a "generation" anyway. So Christmas 2024 for Switch 2 seems about right.
Yes, that seems sensible, tho I'd put it a little earlier than Christmas. My guess would be around mid November, that way they'd still catch Black Friday. Maybe even Oktober, get those early Christmas shoppers. Wouldn't be unprecedented, most of their systems launched in autumn. At any rate, Nintendo told shareholders they wouldn't release any new hardware in fiscal year 2023, so nothing is coming before March.

Reactions: gorfias

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Yes, that seems sensible, tho I'd put it a little earlier than Christmas. My guess would be around mid November, that way they'd still catch Black Friday. Maybe even Oktober, get those early Christmas shoppers. Wouldn't be unprecedented, most of their systems launched in autumn. At any rate, Nintendo told shareholders they wouldn't release any new hardware in fiscal year 2023, so nothing is coming before March.
I think the real question is how powerful they make it. Because they've never cared about power generally, but they do have problems getting their games to run well on their current system so it's a question of how future-proof they try to make the tech.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I think the real question is how powerful they make it. Because they've never cared about power generally, but they do have problems getting their games to run well on their current system so it's a question of how future-proof they try to make the tech.
There's a number of rumors, but they kind of run the gamut.

Word is Square has devkits running FFVIIR, so assuming they have it running decently, that's PS4 level. The dev preview at Gamescom supposedly had Nintendo showing a souped up version of Zelda BoTW, which doesn't sound that impressive. But on the other hand also the UE5 Matrix demo, which might indicate something roughly in the ballpark of Series S. Tho I don't believe in Series S level. That kind of hardware in a handheld factor would be too expensive, and Nintendo does not sell systems at a loss. Also not feasible at a 15w tdp, and anything much more would have terrible battery life (see Steam Deck and such).

If I had to guess, I would put it around the PS4 (regular, not Pro). It will probably have a better cpu, tho that's not hard as the PS4 cpu was pretty garbo. And an overall weaker gpu in raw horsepower, but with more modern tech like DLSS or equivalents to compensate.

Reactions: gorfias

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
There's a number of rumors, but they kind of run the gamut.

Word is Square has devkits running FFVIIR, so assuming they have it running decently, that's PS4 level. The dev preview at Gamescom supposedly had Nintendo showing a souped up version of Zelda BoTW, which doesn't sound that impressive. But on the other hand also the UE5 Matrix demo, which might indicate something roughly in the ballpark of Series S. Tho I don't believe in Series S level. That kind of hardware in a handheld factor would be too expensive, and Nintendo does not sell systems at a loss. Also not feasible at a 15w tdp, and anything much more would have terrible battery life (see Steam Deck and such).

If I had to guess, I would put it around the PS4 (regular, not Pro). It will probably have a better cpu, tho that's not hard as the PS4 cpu was pretty garbo. And an overall weaker gpu in raw horsepower, but with more modern tech like DLSS or equivalents to compensate.
That's probably pretty close, but imo they should at least try to push for something comparable to the PS4 Pro or better yet the Steam Deck's power range. Maybe even have more power available within the dock to make playing on the TV an even better experience.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

I originally was a bit taken back by an big-wig saying something that makes sense. But then I realized; he's saying to attract more foot traffic to the stores.
He's got exactly one thought on the whole subject: "Our earnings are in the toilet and we need more naïve kids coming back into the store to trade in their used copies for thin fractions of their actual worth and then buy useless strategy guides."

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Rumor hive been buzzing about a new Nintendo Direct coming in the next weeks. A known leaker has posted the following hint

Pretty vague, but it's believed to be referring to this

Second hint is

Obviously Donkey Kong. Maybe new game, maybe rerelease of older game. Probably DK64 on NSO.

As always, take these rumors with a planetoid of salt.

Last edited:

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

Turns not, NOT making the event all about showboating and actually focusing on new games actually attracts people! Who saw that coming? /s

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Rumor hive been buzzing about a new Nintendo Direct coming in the next weeks. A known leaker has posted the following hint

Pretty vague, but it's believed to be referring to this
So math was never my strong suit, but doesn't that equation imply that whatever is coming up will be 0 fun?

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
So math was never my strong suit, but doesn't that equation imply that whatever is coming up will be 0 fun?
Provided you actually want to know: the fzero-function takes a function and returns what input-value for that function that would return a zero. Like if you have the function f(x)= 9-x and ask for fzero(f) you'd get 9 in return since 9-9=0.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

probably.
I might pick this up myself for some of the classic Sega games, and if they pack in Fighting Vipers 2.

EDIT: Never mind, it's been officially confirmed. I am going to have to pre-order as some point now.

A new trailer launched three weeks ago I didn't know about.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Reactions: FakeSympathy

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Other than creating an alternate universe, what else is there to do a Mass Effect at this point?
This is just a quick guess, but they'll make the ending where Sheperd fucks off to become God (The Sheperd) canon and you play as one of his agents to handle problems with rebuilding galactic civilisation (and mayyyyyyybe finally introduce the optional of different species choices for PC).

Or it'll be a fucking prequel about the First Contact War. Blargh.