Choo choo! All aboard the Complain Train!

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
We've got fans out the ass. When the ambient air is 115 degrees with 100% humidity, fans alone basically just push hot air at you. They're better than nothing, but they are far from a solution.
Fans are about the best you're gonna get in that weather.

although... if your main issue with the water cooler is the mozzie larvae in the reservoir... then just lay wet tea towels/dishcloths across the front of your fans and re-wet them every hour or so. Gives the same result except with a bit more legwork but there's no large enough pool of water to interest the mosquitoes.

Also, what you really want is a friend who mosquitos will just swarm on and ignore everyone else. Sucks for them but great to have around in summer.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Also, what you really want is a friend who mosquitos will just swarm on and ignore everyone else. Sucks for them but great to have around in summer.
I think Xprimentyl is that naturally that person.

As an aside, IIRC, the kings of Persia would get a slave covered in honey or something to follow them round and attract all the flies to them using the same logic.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Fans are about the best you're gonna get in that weather.

although... if your main issue with the water cooler is the mozzie larvae in the reservoir... then just lay wet tea towels/dishcloths across the front of your fans and re-wet them every hour or so. Gives the same result except with a bit more legwork but there's no large enough pool of water to interest the mosquitoes.
Not a bad idea, and one I've not thought of, so yeah, I might give it a shot. Thanks! For shits and giggles last year, I bought a small block of dry ice and set it in front of our fan. Arguably, it worked mostly, but given the expense, requisite delicate handling, and severely brief relief it offered, it simply wasn't feasible for a day-to-day fix for 4 months out of the year.

Oh, that's me; I'm that friend. I'm basically the opposite of mosquito repellant.

I think Xprimentyl is that naturally that person.
See? Never even met this guy, and he already knows.

As an aside, IIRC, the kings of Persia would get a slave covered in honey or something to follow them round and attract all the flies to them using the same logic.
Are you serious? As cruel and inhumane as that is...

Now, I just need about a half dozen blood bags from the donation center and some duct tape.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Not a bad idea, and one I've not thought of, so yeah, I might give it a shot. Thanks! For shits and giggles last year, I bought a small block of dry ice and set it in front of our fan. Arguably, it worked mostly, but given the expense, requisite delicate handling, and severely brief relief it offered, it simply wasn't feasible for a day-to-day fix for 4 months out of the year.
But you get to look like you're in a low budget tv show from the 80s with dry ice fog everywhere.

EDIT: I can't find a source for Persian kings having slaves to attract flies (since one horrific punishment involving flies gets all the google results), I'm remembering it from high school history from last century. But here we have a picture of Darius being followed around by two attendants, one carrying a parasol, and the other a fly whisk.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Woke up yesterday to a flat tire. Fortunately, I was under road hazard warranty, and only had to pay $27 instead of the whole $200 for the replacement, but still, the hassle of having to borrow my gf's truck to go get Fix-A-Flat, then drive my car, on 3-and-a-half wheels, up to the shop was a pain. Plus, my anal retentive self absolutely despises having one tire of a substantially different age than the rest.

Also, Taylor Swift needs to go away. Her music is wholly unexceptional, yet the mere mention of her name will have MILLIONS of people throwing money at her. She's "breaking records" on popularity alone, not the actual merits of her output. And people wonder why I hate Pop music? It's because of phenomena like Taylor Swift who're popular simply because they're popular. I know I'm probably wrong, and someone can cite some data against this, but it's almost like she's surfing on FOMO (fear of missing out,) i.e.: she sells out one concert, the next is hyped as the "must-have" of the season, so it sells out too, until the demand grows exponentially, and you've got grown-ass women crying in TikTok videos because they couldn't get Taylor Swift tickets, and TicketMaster finds itself in a lawsuit for it business practices.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Also, Taylor Swift needs to go away. Her music is wholly unexceptional, yet the mere mention of her name will have MILLIONS of people throwing money at her. She's "breaking records" on popularity alone, not the actual merits of her output. And people wonder why I hate Pop music? It's because of phenomena like Taylor Swift who're popular simply because they're popular. I know I'm probably wrong, and someone can cite some data against this, but it's almost like she's surfing on FOMO (fear of missing out,) i.e.: she sells out one concert, the next is hyped as the "must-have" of the season, so it sells out too, until the demand grows exponentially, and you've got grown-ass women crying in TikTok videos because they couldn't get Taylor Swift tickets, and TicketMaster finds itself in a lawsuit for it business practices.
I haven't heard anything on Taylor Swift since May-June. You've been on standard FM radio?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Woke up yesterday to a flat tire. Fortunately, I was under road hazard warranty, and only had to pay $27 instead of the whole $200 for the replacement, but still, the hassle of having to borrow my gf's truck to go get Fix-A-Flat, then drive my car, on 3-and-a-half wheels, up to the shop was a pain. Plus, my anal retentive self absolutely despises having one tire of a substantially different age than the rest.

She also likes releasing different versions of the same album (not just her re-recorded stuff, that's fair enough), so hardcore fans have to buy the same stuff over and over.

Personally, I'm more dismayed by the Matt Healy thing, and it's not that out of character. For her or for lots of people, though, people quietly forget the causes they care about when it's them or their friends doing something dodgy.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I haven't heard anything on Taylor Swift since May-June. You've been on standard FM radio?
I don't listen to the radio at all, but she IS everywhere in the news and TV with news of her tour that broke TicketMaster recently, and now they're showing her tour in theaters, and pre-order sales for those ticlets have broken records now too. Apparently, she's the best thing since sliced bread despite being as about as distinct as a slice of bread.

She also likes releasing different versions of the same album (not just her re-recorded stuff, that's fair enough), so hardcore fans have to buy the same stuff over and over.

Personally, I'm more dismayed by the Matt Healy thing, and it's not that out of character. For her or for lots of people, though, people quietly forget the causes they care about when it's them or their friends doing something dodgy.
The personal life side of things I care about even less. I'm not a Pop culture guy; i dont care who she fucks, why shes fucking him, or why shes not anymore; the fact that I can't get the day's forecast without something involving her grinds my gears to no end.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't listen to the radio at all, but she IS everywhere in the news and TV with news of her tour that broke TicketMaster recently, and now they're showing her tour in theaters, and pre-order sales for those ticlets have broken records now too. Apparently, she's the best thing since sliced bread despite being as about as distinct as a slice of bread.
I follow music news even less than TV news, so all of this between same old same old, and gladly keeping myself out of the loop.

The personal life side of things I care about even less. I'm not a Pop culture guy; i dont care who she fucks, why shes fucking him, or why shes not anymore; the fact that I can't get the day's forecast without something involving her grinds my gears to no end.
Considering you live in Texas, and lots of people lover Swift over there, it makes sense she gets more attention than necessary. We get news of her every now and then in Michigan, but most of the local stations don't care for reporting about her that much, nor every day.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

You fucking lucky New Yorkers. I would kill to get food like this in Columbus.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I follow music news even less than TV news, so all of this between same old same old, and gladly keeping myself out of the loop.
I'm not following "music news;" she's popping up between local news and the weather updates because 100 million people lost their shit trying to buy the pipe her last turd passed through, and it's gotten old for how completely unexceptional she is.

She's the Paris Hilton of "music;" she's famous for being famous, but has added absolutely nothing to music save uninspired earworms.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm not following "music news;" she's popping up between local news and the weather updates because 100 million people lost their shit trying to buy the pipe her last turd passed through, and it's gotten old for how completely unexceptional she is.
I never said or implied you did, I was referring to me personally. I know she pops up when you don't want her. Hence why I have the comment about you being in Texas, and her biggest fan base being there.

She's the Paris Hilton of "music;" she's famous for being famous, but has added absolutely nothing to music save uninspired earworms.
At least Swift has a brain, but I get the correlation. I do have more respect for Swift compared to Paris though.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Ok, a lot of her stuff is samey, but I liked it...again until her own dramas sorta soured me again.

(Also, turns out Paris Hilton, whilst being famous for no good reason, also had a messed up early life, so I have to sympathise there)

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Ok, a lot of her stuff is samey, but I liked it...again until her own dramas sorta soured me again.
See, that's where I disconnect. I don't care for her music at all; it's empty calories for your ear; nothing new, original, or engaging. Then spill that over into her personal life? Who cares?!? She adds nothing to the artistic landscape of music, and then fucks around in her personal life... so what??

(Also, turns out Paris Hilton, whilst being famous for no good reason, also had a messed up early life, so I have to sympathise there)
I can't sympathize with privileged people with wealth and fame making the same mistakes I could make in my mediocrity.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
See, that's where I disconnect. I don't care for her music at all; it's empty calories for your ear; nothing new, original, or engaging. Then spill that over into her personal life? Who cares?!? She adds nothing to the artistic landscape of music, and then fucks around in her personal life... so what??
I personally disagree about the value of her music, but that's subjective. In her personal life she wasn't exactly supporting people who are notably racist and otherwise terrible, but she wasn't not supporting them either. Which isn't great at the best of times, and when someone is massively influential it's not the best of times. Sure, there's plenty of worse stuff around, but how people not do that.

I can't sympathize with privileged people with wealth and fame making the same mistakes I could make in my mediocrity.
Apparently she got sent to one of those dodgy institutions rich people send their kids to fix issues they have, and was abused there.

Last edited:

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I bought a USB switch. It's meant to let me switch all my peripherals (mouse, keyboard, mic) between my work laptop and personal PC. Plugged it in before a work call, the light indicating Port 1 was active was on. But it wasn't working! So I switched back the setup I'd always been using, and decided to diagnose it later.

Turns out the absolute gremlins who designed and manufactured this thing put Port 2 on the left and Port 1 on the right. Which is weird enough, most cultures would think 1 is left and 2 right. WHICH IS WHAT THEY DID FOR THE FUCKING INDICATOR LIGHTS. Obviously I can just switch the cables for the ports, but that nobody thought to speak up for however long it took to get this on shelves is insane. Some people just want to watch the world burn.

On a positive note, the switch actually works really well. Very convenient to just switch over to another device with just a tap of a button, instead of two taps and one unplugging and plugging of a cable.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Well...I've just had to cancel a Norwegian cruise I was going to start tomorrow, my 3rd ever foreign holiday as an adult, first holiday in 7 years, because an autoimmune disease that has been laying low for a year or so has flared up again. I have a platelet count of 4 so the hospital very strongly advised me not to go lest I spontaneously start bleeding profusely from every orifice and internal organ or exsanguinate from a papercut or brushing my teeth. FFS.