Choo choo! All aboard the Complain Train!

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Had semi-urgent hernia repair surgery today. Christ I am so uncomfortable right now, but absolutely cannot fault the work of all the staff at the NHS involved. Was a genuinely good experience apart from all the pain.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I had a pretty good track record with cell phones for the past couple of decades, but the one I have now, I've dropped more than all the phones I've had previously combined. Finally broke it with $250 left to pay it off. Fuck me...
Welp, spent an hour in a Verizon store to replace my phone yesterday. Opened the box, and found out that it didn't come with a charging box. Thankfully, the one from my old phone works with my new one. So, of course, our kitten chewed through the cable while I was charging it for the first time. Now I've got to go back to the Verizon store. He chewed through my gf's phone cable just last week. I love this cat, but he's a fucking menace.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
So, of course, our kitten chewed through the cable while I was charging it for the first time. Now I've got to go back to the Verizon store. He chewed through my gf's phone cable just last week. I love this cat, but he's a fucking menace.
You can get no-chew spray for cats (https://www.animigo.co.uk/anti-chew-spray.html)

(I think the primary target is dogs, where it does absolutely fuck all in my experience.)

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
You can get no-chew spray for cats (https://www.animigo.co.uk/anti-chew-spray.html)

(I think the primary target is dogs, where it does absolutely fuck all in my experience.)
He chews on anything and everything that hangs; if it dangles, he tangles. He has a shit-ton of toys spread all over the house, and he loves them, but the moment anything foreign/new is introduced to his environment, he "investigates" it. I think he might make it until Christmas; if we put up a tree, well, we all know the scene...

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Welp, spent an hour in a Verizon store to replace my phone yesterday. Opened the box, and found out that it didn't come with a charging box. Thankfully, the one from my old phone works with my new one. So, of course, our kitten chewed through the cable while I was charging it for the first time. Now I've got to go back to the Verizon store. He chewed through my gf's phone cable just last week. I love this cat, but he's a fucking menace.
Kittens teethe, just like babies. Gotta take the same sort of precautions. (I do commiserate. My cat's son chewed through the cord of my favorite headphones when he was a kitten.)

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Had semi-urgent hernia repair surgery today. Christ I am so uncomfortable right now, but absolutely cannot fault the work of all the staff at the NHS involved. Was a genuinely good experience apart from all the pain.
Ah man, sorry to hear that guy. But that should just be it then, yes? No follow-up problems expected?

"Your own organs are starting to try and flee the empire of your body - for a second your guts had a taste of freedom, to just see another layer of their prison"

Geez louise, I'm glad you're okay!!!! D: Car accidents are really scary stuff and can happen to anyone. Don't beat yourself up too bad. I remember I once went the wrong way around an island. Thankfully I didn't get into an accident, but I easily could have. Cars are fun but can cause a LOT of problems.
Yeah, i already caused an accident a few years back. Someone got real hurt then. Still can't shake the guilt, worst day of my -and most likely his- life. Had a nervous breakdown after that and changed my state of mind way to the worse since then.

So just as a warning: No matter if you "drove well" 5000 days in a row... only one second of failure or one small decision is needed to ruin or end lives. The world is pretty unfair in that way.

Reactions: bunniesandrainbows

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
My car's radiator hose came off while I was driving to the store today. I reattached it and refilled the coolant, but the engine was still overheating, so I stopped halfway for a tow. Two hours later, I gave up and limped the car home.

I'm hoping that the issue can be resolved with just a flush of the coolant system (and maybe a better clamp for that hose).

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
This has been a shit week. For lots of reasons. And then I saw this little email hidden in the heaps that have arrived. Unfortunately, being an adult and responsible professional and all that, I have to employ behaviours like "proportionate responses", "tact" and "appropriate communications with colleagues". So please can I leave you the reply I wanted to send.

Dear X,

Thank you for your email telling me that you have gone behind my back for the second time. You have picked the worst fucking day of the worst fucking week in the year to test me, so now I am inclined to die on that hill - and I will sacrifice the whole army with me, and all their friends, and families, and all their friends' and families' pets too, just to take you down.

Regards,

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
This has been a shit week. For lots of reasons. And then I saw this little email hidden in the heaps that have arrived. Unfortunately, being an adult and responsible professional and all that, I have to employ behaviours like "proportionate responses", "tact" and "appropriate communications with colleagues". So please can I leave you the reply I wanted to send.

Dear X,

Thank you for your email telling me that you have gone behind my back for the second time. You have picked the worst fucking day of the worst fucking week in the year to test me, so now I am inclined to die on that hill - and I will sacrifice the whole army with me, and all their friends, and families, and all their friends' and families' pets too, just to take you down.

Regards,
You know I'm not gonna lie, a second draft that just removes both 'fuckings' would keep the email well within professional limits, if not very dramatic.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

Dear X,

Regards,
It's a well-known and healthy exercise to type out email responses with what you want to say, any cordialities disregarded, then sit back, and bask in your own righteousness before promptly deleting it, then send the "proper" civil response. I've done it dozens of times. Doesn't make me feel better per se, but getting it off my chest feels good. Just make sure you clear any recipients' names first; force of habit might find you clicking "send" when you're done, and nobody [except you] wants that.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
About 6 months ago I bought some new micro switches for my mouse that were supposedly good for 10 million clicks. They're already wearing out.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
We spend a lot of time on our patio, even through this oppressive heatwave we've been experiencing for weeks here in North Texas. So, we bought a cooler that uses water, a filter, and fan to blow cool air on us. (Well, when it's 110 degrees outside, let's just say the air it blows out is equivalent to that you might expect from a motel hair dryer, so "cool" is being generous.) Anyway, I went to fill it up a few days ago, and noticed a teeny-tiny worm-like thing swimming in the reservoir on top; almost looked like a very small tadpole. I scooped him out, and went about my task. Yesterday, I went to fill it again, and found about a dozen of the worms squirming around in there, and that's just gross. Further research revealed they are mosquito larvae.
Needless to say, I chalked that +$100 purchase up as a loss, and tossed the whole thing to the curb. I'll sweat to death before I keep a mosquito nursery 5 feet from my head.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Standing water anywhere outdoors is going to get that. Couldn't you just have drained it between uses?
Yes, I'm aware that standing water attracts mosquitoes, but the cooler had a lid, so it wasn't exposed enough that I'd think mosquitoes would breed there.

And no, draining it every day wouldn't have been a feasible option as we'd be wasting about 4 gallons of water daily. And if it's mere presence was attracting mosquitoes, whether they nest or not, I'd rather just be hot.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yes, I'm aware that standing water attracts mosquitoes, but the cooler had a lid, so it wasn't exposed enough that I'd think mosquitoes would breed there.

And no, draining it every day wouldn't have been a feasible option as we'd be wasting about 4 gallons of water daily. And if it's mere presence was attracting mosquitoes, whether they nest or not, I'd rather just be hot.
I suggest you get those outdoor candles that keep mosquitos away and maybe a bug zapper.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I suggest you get those outdoor candles that keep mosquitos away and maybe a bug zapper.

Oh, you were serious, weren't you? My friend, I have tried everything under the sun to repel mosquitoes. I STARTED with the candles and zappers; these skeeters don't give a shit. Prince showed us what it sounds like doves cry, and I can show you what it sounds like when mosquitoes laugh whenever I try to repel them.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Oh, you were serious, weren't you? My friend, I have tried everything under the sun to repel mosquitoes. I STARTED with the candles and zappers; these skeeters don't give a shit. Prince showed us what it sounds like doves cry, and I can show you what it sounds like when mosquitoes laugh whenever I try to repel them.
Time to break out the flame throwers.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Fans are the answer. Ceiling fans or big wall mounted industrial fans... even the larger diameter pedestal fans can work.
We've got fans out the ass. When the ambient air is 115 degrees with 100% humidity, fans alone basically just push hot air at you. They're better than nothing, but they are far from a solution.

Time to break out the flame throwers.
Don't tempt me...

Reactions: BrawlMan