General Gaming News.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Oh, no. People forget fast when it's convenient.
Yeah, how many creators are still on Youtube after the various adpocalypses and wacky TOS/DMCA stuff?

Reddit mods sure didn't last long with their strike either.

The app formerly known as Twitter people seem totally unwilling to jump off the derailing exploding on fire train full of radioactive chemicals.

And there was that kerfuffle a couple years ago when Onlyfans was overnight "we're not gonna allow adult content anymore, and you've got 20 days to remove it or be banned" which led to all the SW's panicking. But then they walked it back like a week later and most of them all carry on now with all their eggs in that one basket.

Wouldn't be surprised if gamedevs are equally unrealistically faithful lol.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
have you tried just writing the link in the forum post? That worked for me, although the forum software converted it into an unfurl-link.
Just to make it even more confusing, I came back to this post after seeing the notification and it's working now? I don't get it... ah well

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Is it possible that the charge-per-install was not primarily due to Unity wanting to make more money from the the developers but because they wanted information of how many people actually are playing the titles? The industry is not transparent of how many people are buying their titles unless they're a hit, and we live in the information age so that information could be VERY valuable.
Bullshit. You forget, the President of Unity (John Riccitelio) is the same asshole who used to be in charge of EA, and wanted charge dollar per bullets in the Battlefield games. I know you try to see things from all sides, and while that is important, don't mindlessly deceive yourself, nor get fooled that easily.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Bullshit. You forget, the President of Unity (John Riccitelio) is the same asshole who used to be in charge of EA, and wanted charge dollar per bullets in the Battlefield games. I know you try to see things from all sides, and while that is important, don't mindlessly deceive yourself, nor get fooled that easily.
That was not me in any way defending Unity. If they implemented that policy for that reason it would still be a shitty thing to do; I just tried to see it from a greedy CEO's point of view.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
What?! A politician walking back a statement regarding something he didn't know anything about and trying to score points with the people he insulted?! Inconceivable!
Well, to be fair, death was on the line.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I'm down for Henry Cavil to star in every video game anything from this point forward to be honest. Unfortunately they wont be directed or written by anyone who gives a shit so they'd still be pretty bad regardless.
Ugh, dear god no. He's already Superman, Geralt and the Highlander. Also I'm kinda tired of Brits taking all these American roles. And we don't Arthur Morgan to have all those muscles.

Re: the XBox console all-digital revamps- interesting. Microsoft is in a pretty fascinating place and I don't think it's possible to predict at all where they'll be in the gaming space by the time these new consoles come out. With the Activision buy coming through and the fact that they really have to reckon with how they deal with all these studios they have given the clusterf***s of Halo and Redfall, it's an interesting case study. Like I'm more fascinated as someone who studies project management and technology in business. And these consoles might sell really well or not and have little to do with the actual nature of the consoles.

Editing to add:
Microsoft want to buy Nintendo

Imagine, lol!

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Phil’s arrogance knows no bounds.

In his email to Microsoft’s Executive Vice President and Commercial Chief Marketing Officer, Takeshi Numoto, and Chief Marketing Officer, Chris Capossela, Spencer stated that it’s just taking a long time for Nintendo to see that its future “exists off of their own hardware”, but he is firm in his belief that the acquisition will happen “at some point”, and that Nintendo will eventually see things the way Microsoft does. Nintendo has yet to comment on the leaked statement from Phil Spencer.

How about let’s leave it up to a collective vote of Nintendo’s fanbase if they think this would be a good idea. How many shareholders care about anything beyond the balance sheet anyways? Nintendo ain’t exactly hurting and they’d be fools to go down this road. About the only plus I could see from any of this is, their online network would improve. But OTOH also opens the door to Microsoft’s bs monetary practices. So a double-edged sword at best for that one benefit.

And Valve? Idk…on one hand it makes sense, but on the other there’s a reason everybody still uses Valve and not GFWL anymore; one of several key aspects which Microsoft would need to acknowledge and respect. I’d love to hear what Gabe thinks, seeing as he left Microsoft to create the company. The irony!

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
We need a catchy musical jingle for every time this happens.

You know the drill. Classified military documents get posted onto the War Thunder forum, until it's noticed by a moderator who deletes it. In a surprise to nobody, it happened yet again last week.

The document shared this time was a flight manual for the Lockheed F-117 Nighthawk, Niche Gamer reported. Information such as sensor locations, firing angles, and engine specifications were shown on the pages circulated on the thread.

The entire thread has since been deleted, though developer Gaijin Entertainment confirmed the information had been posted onto its forum.

Gaijin's head of PR Konstantin Govorun confirmed to Task and Purpose, an American publication which covers the US defense industry, its moderators removed the post and any sensitive information, and banned the user who uploaded it.

A spokesperson for the US Air Force told Task and Purpose the goverment "has urged companies to avoid allowing the distribution of information that is detrimental to public safety and national security"." The F-117 flight manual is not classified but it is export restricted.

"This is probably 12th time this happens [sic]," Govorun said to Task and Purpose. Wikipedia currently lists 10 separate instances of classified or sensitive information being leaked on War Thunder's forum, with six of those occurring just this year.

The first time military documents were posted on the forum was in July 2021, and they were used by a player in an attempt to convince Gaijin to make an in-game tank more realistic. This year's first leak happened in January, when a player shared documents on the F-16 fighter jet in an attempt to win an argument with another player.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Editing to add:
Microsoft want to buy Nintendo

Imagine, lol!
This is nothing new. Microsoft has been trying to buy Nintendo since 2003. Nintendo declined every single time, and they will continue to do so in the future. The old dinosaurs at the top of Nintendo ain't letting go, and the same applies to the young ones taking their place.

Reactions: NerfedFalcon

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Phil’s arrogance knows no bounds.

In his email to Microsoft’s Executive Vice President and Commercial Chief Marketing Officer, Takeshi Numoto, and Chief Marketing Officer, Chris Capossela, Spencer stated that it’s just taking a long time for Nintendo to see that its future “exists off of their own hardware”, but he is firm in his belief that the acquisition will happen “at some point”, and that Nintendo will eventually see things the way Microsoft does. Nintendo has yet to comment on the leaked statement from Phil Spencer.

How about let’s leave it up to a collective vote of Nintendo’s fanbase if they think this would be a good idea. How many shareholders care about anything beyond the balance sheet anyways? Nintendo ain’t exactly hurting and they’d be fools to go down this road. About the only plus I could see from any of this is, their online network would improve. But OTOH also opens the door to Microsoft’s bs monetary practices. So a double-edged sword at best for that one benefit.

And Valve? Idk…on one hand it makes sense, but on the other there’s a reason everybody still uses Valve and not GFWL anymore; one of several key aspects which Microsoft would need to acknowledge and respect. I’d love to hear what Gabe thinks, seeing as he left Microsoft to create the company. The irony!
Microsoft isn't in the gaming industry to participate and grow it, it's there to buy up and own it.

Fuck Microsoft and fuck anyone defending them planning to buy up everything under the sun. ( Probably no one on here that this applies to, but in general )

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Microsoft isn't in the gaming industry to participate and grow it, it's there to buy up and own it.

Fuck Microsoft and fuck anyone defending them planning to buy up everything under the sun. ( Probably no one on here that this applies to, but in general )
Why try to make great consoles and games for people to play when you can just buy up the entire industry and force people to play whatever trash you deem worthy enough to make? That's why Phil Spencer said during the Kinda Funny interview after Redfall's shit-piss of a launch "Making great games isn't going to help us anymore." It's because their plan moving forward to to just buy up all the potential competition and force people into the ecosystem.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Why try to make great consoles and games for people to play when you can just buy up the entire industry and force people to play whatever trash you deem worthy enough to make? That's why Phil Spencer said during the Kinda Funny interview after Redfall's shit-piss of a launch "Making great games isn't going to help us anymore." It's because their plan moving forward to to just buy up all the potential competition and force people into the ecosystem.
That's not what Spencer said.

I'm not defending Microsoft or Spencer (I was into hating Microsoft before it was cool, back when Gates was still in charge). But he was saying that individual hit games weren't going to be enough to win a competition with Sony or Nintendo due to entrenched libraries. And he is correct about that.