General Gaming News.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I'm not defending Microsoft or Spencer (I was into hating Microsoft before it was cool, back when Gates was still in charge). But he was saying that individual hit games weren't going to be enough to win a competition with Sony or Nintendo due to entrenched libraries. And he is correct about that.
The interpretation there though, is that if they can't win over people with libraries on other platforms (like Steam and Nintendo) then the answer is clear.....buy them all. If you buy someone's library and it becomes part of your ecosystem, then that person will follow.

And frankly he is wrong about that in the first place. People are willing to expand to other platforms regardless of library somewhere else, so long as you offer them things that they value as well. Thus if you made good games, actually you have to make great games at this point, then people will in fact come over to your platform to experience your great offers as well.

People have Nintendo and Playstation and Steam libraries, or combinations of those why? because each platform offers something worthwhile meaning games. So there is no reason Microsoft can't also do that.

They simply don't want to. Spending money to make a game is a risk, but buying and absorbing an entire platform has no risk because you are virtually guaranteed to collect that installed userbase automatically. Or is significantly less of a risk. Xbox doesn't need a Pokemon when they can just buy Pokemon entirely and instantly collect all that customer income. Sure it's a hit to the wallet at first, but it's returned rapidly.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
We need a catchy musical jingle for every time this happens.

Seriously, you would think after the first three times, people would learn. Do they think that they'll be the exception or that they're smarter than everybody else? What buncha dumb asses.

Last edited:

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
So MS leaks is... surprising.

Two things I didn't expect is ghostwire tokyo 2 (the 1st is a decent game that sadly misunderstand its strength) and dishonored 3 (which I never thought would happen since the studio has been doing really poorly lately and I think both dishonored were considered financial flop).

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

Might as well as take the exit now. The game pass won't be your saving grace.

This is kinda on you Phill; You chose to not to do anything with all those studios accquired. You chose that Xbox should focus more on features, not first-party games. You chose to let Halo 5 and Infinite release the way it is. And you chose to cancel nearly all the promising first-party titles. Don Mattrick may have gave you a terrible place to start, but you had plenty of opportunity to fix it.

Sony and Nintendo may have issues on their own, but at least they understand what keeps people buying their stuff.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Might as well as take the exit now. The game pass won't be your saving grace.

This is kinda on you Phill; You chose to not to do anything with all those studios accquired. You chose that Xbox should focus moreo n features, not first-party games. You chose to let Halo 5 and Infinite release the way it is. And you chose to cancel nearly all the promising first-party titles. Don Mattrick may have gave you a terrible place to start, but you had plenty of opportunity to fix it.

Sony and Nintendo may have issues on their own, but at least they understand what keeps people buying their stuff.
Microsoft could literally exit the console race right now, and I would not miss them. They had multiple chances, as you've said and we all have seen. Thank you for some of the good times, and no thanks you fuckheads, for a lot of the bad times! Go ahead, do it! Do it! Quit like the punk biatches you are! "Making good games is too tough!" @CriticalGaming, @hanselthecaretaker2, and @Old_Hunter_77 get a load of this news @FakeSympathy posted.

Last edited:
Reactions: FakeSympathy

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Microsoft could literally exit the console race right now, and I would not miss them. They had multiple chance, as you've said and we all have seen. Thank you for some of the good times, and no thanks you fuckheads for a lot of the bad times! Go ahead, do it! Do it! Quit the punk biatches you are! "Making good games is too tough!" @CriticalGaming, @hanselthecaretaker2, and @Old_Hunter_77 get a load of this news @FakeSympathy posted.
Yeah I am pretty sure I enjoyed my time with 360 and XB1 because of the people I played with, not the games themselves.

Also, filthy rich coming from guys who doesn’t release games

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah I am pretty sure I enjoyed my time with 360 and XB1 because of the people I played with, not the games themselves.
Actually, my best times with my 360 and my X1X (which I bought for my brother and still have) are the games I mostly played by myself, or some co-op sessions with my older brother. I didn't care too much for most online games. Whenever I did buy Xbox gold, I would usually do some online co-op, but never for too long. Everyone charges so much for online now, aside from Nintendo (who's online sucks and wasn't even good when it was free), but all three of them are not worth it.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Microsoft could literally exit the console race right now, and I would not miss them. They had multiple chances, as you've said and we all have seen. Thank you for some of the good times, and no thanks you fuckheads, for a lot of the bad times! Go ahead, do it! Do it! Quit like the punk biatches you are! "Making good games is too tough!" @CriticalGaming, @hanselthecaretaker2, and @Old_Hunter_77 get a load of this news @FakeSympathy posted.
Little scary as it makes me fear what Sony will do to us with less competition. In the same month or so, Gold goes away leaving us with "Core" and PS+ bumps price from $60 annually to $80.
Not too scared though. The VR environment is growing like crazy. Portable PCs in handheld form are out there and are much like the Switch: Play on the go or hook them up to your TV. We do still have options.

Zechs

Jun 5, 2013
It's kind of crazy that Microsoft could even consider buying Valve, if Epic games is net worth is 32 Billion imagine how much it would cost to buy Valve. My guess is 60+ billion.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
That's not what Spencer said.

I'm not defending Microsoft or Spencer (I was into hating Microsoft before it was cool, back when Gates was still in charge). But he was saying that individual hit games weren't going to be enough to win a competition with Sony or Nintendo due to entrenched libraries. And he is correct about that.
Imagine being such a giant screw up that in twenty years of being in the business you don't have a meaningful library of your own yet.

Them constantly putting their eggs in as few baskets as possible and trying to chase those few hit games really paid off for them...

There's no creative vision there. "People like Halo? Alright, crank out more Halo for twenty years! I'm sure it'll keep on working!".

A bit like Disney going crazy with their 3729273 Star Wars and Marvel shows / movies, but worse.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Little scary as it makes me fear what Sony will do to us with less competition. In the same month or so, Gold goes away leaving us with "Core" and PS+ bumps price from $60 annually to $80.
I am not even scared much anymore, because they already jacked up the price with PSN and their 1st party games while the competition is here. While Sony does have valuable first party games, none of them are $70+ "AAAA" starting price.

Portable PCs in handheld form are out there and are much like the Switch: Play on the go or hook them up to your TV. We do still have options.
Yep, but I don't see myself getting a Steam Deck yet. Not unless there's a huge 1/2 off discount.

Imagine being such a giant screw up that in twenty years of being in the business you don't have a meaningful library of your own yet.

Them constantly putting their eggs in as few baskets as possible and trying to chase those few hit games really paid off for them...

There's no creative vision there. "People like Halo? Alright, crank out more Halo for twenty years! I'm sure it'll keep on working!".
As much as it disgusts me to say it, Movie Bob had a point back in 2008 about Microsoft and their library issue. I knew he wasn't wrong, but he always was and is a dickwad about it. I never bought a 360 for 1st party games. The only reason I got it, was because it was the cheaper alternative, and most 3rd party Japanese games that were going to be exclusives on PS3 jumped ship, when Sony revealed the glorious "$599 US DOLLARS!".

A bit like Disney going crazy with their 3729273 Star Wars and Marvel shows / movies, but worse.
Rise of the Skywalker and me figuring out JJ/Disney had no plan and were just writing off the seat of their pants, killed any interests I had in future Star Wars anything, barring a few exceptions. After Wakanda Forever, nothing else MCU interests me. WBD fucked up with their purging of women and people of color in high positions, turned me off entirely of whatever future bullshit they got. I don't care if James Gunn is in charge now. Nothing against him, but he alone can't fix everything, and it won't make up for the really shady shit WBD did and continues doing trying to "appeal to whites only". They actually lost more money by doing that, and all the talent they fired went to places like Hulu, Disney, and Netflix. I am only seeing Aquaman 2, because I like James Wan and Jason Mamoa, and it's unifinished business that I know will be good. After I see the movie and pick up the Blu Ray, WBD can fuck off, and I am never touching your new live-action shit ever again, aside from the old movies I already own copies of.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Not too scared though. The VR environment is growing like crazy. Portable PCs in handheld form are out there and are much like the Switch: Play on the go or hook them up to your TV. We do still have options.
I meam that is kind of my thought about it. Im upset with Microsofts shit not because i care about Microsoft. But competition keeps things fair most of the time. It also keeps companies trying to one up each other which is good for the consumer. Sony is great now because it got beat badly in the PS360 era. Then they came out swinging with the ps4 because they had to win people back. Luckily Xbox shit themselves and basically handed over the win.

But if there was no other options in the console market besides the Switch, i fear Sony becoming complacent with the free win of the 4k gaming era.

As it stands now i dont think xbox is going to make a come back anytime soon.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I meam that is kind of my thought about it. Im upset with Microsofts shit not because i care about Microsoft. But competition keeps things fair most of the time. It also keeps companies trying to one up each other which is good for the consumer. Sony is great now because it got beat badly in the PS360 era. Then they came out swinging with the ps4 because they had to win people back. Luckily Xbox shit themselves and basically handed over the win.

But if there was no other options in the console market besides the Switch, i fear Sony becoming complacent with the free win of the 4k gaming era.

Sony's certainly in an interesting place. They have established a certain baseline quality level of first party games (we all expect Spiderman 2 to work good and be a great game for those of us who enjoyed the previous ones and want more). That's already more than Microsoft can offer at this point.
But then they announced like a dozen live service games or some crap? So I dunno...

Reactions: CriticalGaming

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA

Star Field has sold 10 million copies as of yesterday. Dunno how many for console vs. PC but sounds like a win for them.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Star Field has sold 10 million copies as of yesterday. Dunno how many for console vs. PC but sounds like a win for them.
I cant find any record of this figure. But for your reference falliut 4 sold 12 million units day 1. And the only numbers i could find was that starfield had been played by 6million players, including gamepass players which arent actual sales.

Reactions: gorfias

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Most of the live services will either die within a year, or will only last a few months at best. Because nobody learns anything in this industry.
They are also being made by random studios too, so I have a feeling they are more-so testing out the studio's ability to make good gameplay loops rather than long lasting live-service platforms.

Foam-stars is gonna die immediately
The Netrunner one might be fun for a short while.

I forget what else their doing. I don't care though, because I'm abouta be Spider-Man 2!