Game Articles and Videos Thread

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

Yet another Kickstarter game project that fucked around with the backers. I do think there's nothing theoretically wrong about crowd-funding a game, but goddamn, does project like this kill my appeal for the concept.

Reminds me of another project called Unsung story, which looked hopefull after the dev change, but they haven't posted any update since Dec 2022, shortly after the early-access release

Reactions: BrawlMan

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

Yet another Kickstarter game project that fucked around with the backers. I do think there's nothing theoretically wrong about crowd-funding a game, but goddamn, does project like this kill my appeal for the concept.

Reminds me of another project called Unsung story, which looked hopefull after the dev change, but they haven't posted any update since Dec 2022, shortly after the early-access release
People need to treat Kickstarter campaigns like what they actually are- investments that can fail, not preorders. (But obviously that doesn't excuse actual scammers.)

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

Mark Darrah, a veteran game dev with 23+ years of experience, explains why Live-service games are failing. I didn't even know he had a yt channel.

Fascinating video. Some points are stuff we've heard before, but this guy gives more detailed reasoning

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
"Shadows of Doubt" is an early access game that I like a lot. As with all the (very few) early access games I bought, its first release was already good and complete enough to qualify as a full game, that I'd have paid for in that very state, even as I welcome further development.

Anyway, not my point.

My point is that "Shadows of doubt" just got an update, in accordance its roadmap. And that its presentation blurb triumphally presents this update as FREE (all caps).

Which it is. Technically. A free update. For the unfinished game you already paid. Can't argue with that. But imagine the dev's mindset, after having sold his unfinished game, feeling "generous" enough to specify its update is free. How he positions himself and views his customers, in terms of entitlements.

I see it as a symptom of what the EA concept is becoming.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I remember this interview. Itigaki was, and is, always an egotistical douche. When he is talking about "dumb enemies", the man was probably referring to Dynasty Warriors. Not the biggest fan the franchise, but there were plenty of games around from that era (mainly stylish action) where enemies weren't dumb. Ninja Gaiden does have smart AI, but there's plenty of moments you can either doop them or you can get them into a loop. This is especially true for the original Xbox release.